Conquer Club

faxour of the supersized maps

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

faxour of the supersized maps

Postby Oneyed on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:42 am

when I look at playable maps, I found only few supersized ones.
I would like to ask why supersized maps are so rare? is it because they are not favourite by players, community?
is there any statistic how often are supersized maps played?

once I hear an opinion, that problem of supersized maps (even in small version) is that they are not whole visible on display and players must scroll down and up to see situation on map and to read legends and to see what players doing...

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: faxour of the supersized maps

Postby Aleena on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:46 am

Supersized maps do not fit on the screen comfortably - they push the players names and current spoils info - right off the right side of the screen - so players will need to use a slide bar back and forth to look at everything - for this it is discouraged to be used here - and if one wants to - in needs to be pre-approved which is just another step in an all ready long progress (does not matter if you work on your map 20 hours a map or 20 hours a week - the system moves at it's own rate)

Since there are not many made - statistics will show they are played less - it is not a true measure of the possible quality or enjoyment value that one can make on an over-sized map.

I think the players (community) would love any well designed map - does not matter if it's small, average, large, super-sized - or multi-tiered - if it is designed and presented correctly - the players will enjoy it.

What you heard as the issue is correct and is the reason....
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby Bruceswar on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Aleena wrote:Supersized maps do not fit on the screen comfortably - they push the players names and current spoils info - right off the right side of the screen - so players will need to use a slide bar back and forth to look at everything - for this it is discouraged to be used here - and if one wants to - in needs to be pre-approved which is just another step in an all ready long progress (does not matter if you work on your map 20 hours a map or 20 hours a week - the system moves at it's own rate)

Since there are not many made - statistics will show they are played less - it is not a true measure of the possible quality or enjoyment value that one can make on an over-sized map.

I think the players (community) would love any well designed map - does not matter if it's small, average, large, super-sized - or multi-tiered - if it is designed and presented correctly - the players will enjoy it.

What you heard as the issue is correct and is the reason....

I never have a problem with a supersized map.. What size monitor do you use?

To answer the question... You need to use all the space up, so you will need to have an idea that would use it.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby cairnswk on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:37 pm

i thought supersize was being discouraged again and that maps were going to be brought back down to standard size :)
although i notice that 5 Towers has just been relegated to Drafts
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:04 am

cairnswk wrote:i thought supersize was being discouraged again and that maps were going to be brought back down to standard size :)
although i notice that 5 Towers has just been relegated to Drafts

They are not being discouraged, but the space does need to be used and 5 towers uses it. That is above the current guidelines and the only person who can OK it is the boss man.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:18 am

Bruceswar wrote:
I never have a problem with a supersized map.. What size monitor do you use?

It's more a matter of screen resolution that total screen size. On normal 1024 X 768, many maps will not fit on the screen, even those that are not officially supersized. And yes, my monitor will do higher resolutions, but if I go higher then I can't read the text on the desktop icons. You can also screw around with stuff like hiding the menu bars in your browser and stuff like that, but it really shouldn't be necessary.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Aleena on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:07 am

Having another level of approval - needing a Boss man to OK it - is yet another hurtle of many in the long process of map making - each hurtle including this one is to help insure quality work (but also by nature is a small deterrent)

So yes in a small way super-size maps are discouraged - for they have an extra layer of approval to go through that the other maps do not....
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Aleena wrote:So yes in a small way super-size maps are discouraged - for they have an extra layer of approval to go through that the other maps do not....

This extra layer came about because some map makers where trying to force maps larger for no real reason. The bin has about 5 or 6 maps with the supersize stamp for no real reason. Hence the higher ups banning super size until a clear policy could be put into place. It is now in place and nobodies and isaiah are really nice guys so if you have a map in mind, send them your idea.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Return to Foundry Discussions