Conquer Club

Delete old accounts

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community
Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Delete old accounts

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:14 pm

Well sometimes theese pops up: viewtopic.php?f=239&p=4541899#p4541899
Wouldnt it be easier if CC just deleted old accounts that are inactive for say 12 months or 6 months or some period of time?

This would benefit the site in well not spending time and effort on people that have been inactive and by mistake creates a new account and get busted for multi... and it would most likely mean that more people coming back would stay since they dont get accused of cheating day 1...

I dont know shit about computing and so ... so it might be hard/impossible to do this ... but anyway i thought it a clever way of saving time/money and effort!
Major Lord Arioch

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (1)

Re: Delete old accounts

Postby Donelladan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:35 pm

I fully support this idea. Was going to make the same suggestion.
Click image to enlarge.
Brigadier Donelladan

Medals: 100
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (24)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (14) Challenge Achievement (2)

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:44 pm

I don't agree with this. People take long breaks from the site and return. I've done it.
Major Shannon Apple
Entertainment Contributor

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (4) Training Achievement (1)
Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (2)

Postby shickingbrits on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Supported, but with a caveat, make them dormant. If someone creates a new account and activates a dormant account then it is a multi.
Sergeant shickingbrits

Medals: 6
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:53 pm

I think what would be more helpful would be to have, on top of (meaning before) the space where you sign up for a new account, a link saying "Played here before?" or "Returning from a break?" or similar - this would direct users to a page where they can fill out an e-Ticket explaining their situation.

sempai
Can you lead a nation to World Cup glory? Join the FCCFP!!
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.
Medals: 82
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (14) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (10) General Contribution (4)

Postby Donelladan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:55 pm

I don't agree with this. People take long breaks from the site and return. I've done it.

I have played on game where if you stop playing, your account is deleted after 6 month. The site send you an e-mail to warn you before it happens at some interval. First message after 2 weeks saying that your account is inactive and telling you that after 6 months it will be deleting, and some later don't know the exact interval.

We could do the same here. With the simple condition to log in once on your account to avoid to be deleted. No need to play a game, simple connection on the site is enough, and restart the counter to 0, means you have 1 more year before your account is deleted.

If you are not willing to make the effort to simply connect once a year, then I guess it is ok to delete your account.
If you are then willing to play again later, just create a new one.
Last edited by Donelladan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click image to enlarge.
Brigadier Donelladan

Monthly Leader Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (24)

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Well how ever u want to solve it .i think it should be a benefit to CC... Maybee a middle way were u can put your account on hold/dormant mode if/when u take a break and the rest that dont do it get deleted?
+10k on that donnelladan! its a good solution!
Major Lord Arioch

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1)

Postby shickingbrits on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Always be selling, sempai. You're decreasing the likelihood of a player returning as it may be impulsive.
Sergeant shickingbrits

Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:38 pm

A forum that I was a member of for years decided to do exactly this. I had no reason to return because my attachment to that site was gone. The account that someone has built up here may entice them to return. The record attached to their username etc. It would also be a detriment to the clan community if people could just stop playing and come back on a new account 6 months later. Sometimes people are banned for very good reason too.

I returned here after 2-3 years BECAUSE I had an account here. First thing I did was seek out old friends, but they had quit. By doing what you're suggesting, you are removing that sense of community. This is why I am personally against it. Also, I do not use my primary email for game websites like most people. Too much spam. ;)
Major Shannon Apple

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (4) Training Achievement (1)

Postby Donelladan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:43 pm

Hum. I dunno Shannon. Concerning my example. I did quit that other gaming site, my account was deleted, but I still came back later, and was able to find some old friends after 2 years break and I enjoyed the game and played it 5 more years. So in my case it did not matter, account deleted or not.

If we do not delete old account, then we still should change the way we deal with that kind of "multi" which are actually not multi. There is a problem, I think most of us can agree on that, when a player want to play and get kick because he had an account 4 years ago.

CC is the only place I know which is acting that way. Most of other websites do not care if you have an account, leave it, then come back some months/years later and create a new one.

Maybe CC has good reason to do so. But then CC should not punish people that do not know about this rule that you can never create a new account even after several years.
Click image to enlarge.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:59 pm

There's already a suggestion like this somewhere.

And for the record, yes I support it. My main reason is that there are cool usernames that are forever closed to people because some idiot created the name 6 years ago and never came back to play.

With that in mind, I think the period of deletion should be dependant on what you did. If you logged in once, signed up for four games and never came back to take a turn, that's the most basic level and gets deleted without question after a year.

People who stuck around a bit longer and played a few games could get two years, people who actually became significant names, won major tournaments, etc., might be protected forever.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.
Colonel Dukasaur
Entertainment Coordinator

Medals: 162
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (44)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby IcePack on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Against this personally. Maybe for accounts that never played or deadbeated right off the bat etc.
But for anyone who reaches any sort of threshold, should be kept around.
the Fallen, an unstoppable wave of Darkness! Armies will lay down their weapons to be taken into our numbers or die and lose their souls. What will you decide?
Major IcePack
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Medals: 105
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10)
General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (16) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (12)

Postby Donelladan on Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:11 am

Why?
Click image to enlarge.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby shickingbrits on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:16 am

Donelladan wrote:
Why?

For future researchers studying why a website goes extinct.
Sergeant shickingbrits

Postby Lord Arioch on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:38 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=207752&p=4555209#p4555209

Another one ...

Something needs to be done here ... cant really punish peoples bad memory:) ... can the eticket stuff be more visible for noobs?
Major Lord Arioch

Postby owenshooter on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:12 pm

i thought there was some issue with the scoreboard for not doing this... can't remember, but i do remember that Lack and Twill were very against this for some rational reason.. does anyone in the tech area that has access to that info have that answer? hmmm...-Jésus noir
DoomYoshi, "GD has no traffic because of venereal diseases like you."
Lieutenant owenshooter

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby Lord Arioch on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Can some programming be done to recognize ips? and generate auto etickets? by some guy7gal looking a bit like this :ugeek: or maybee this :geek: but it will change u into this O:) if succesfull :mrgreen:
Major Lord Arioch

Postby Arama86n on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:48 pm

I agree with Shannon. I strongly oppose this idea.
Major Arama86n

Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby Donelladan on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:58 pm

Arama86n wrote:I agree with Shannon. I strongly oppose this idea.

Do you have a better solution for the pb we speak of here ?
Click image to enlarge.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Lord Arioch on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 pm

yes cause for returnees its a prob and for KA and minions its a work prob... so a solution shoul be tried to be found
Major Lord Arioch

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Donelladan wrote:

It's totally fine imo if you're talking about accounts with less than 10 games played, but it's not okay to remove accounts that have been here a long time, have built up a reputation, medals, tournament wins, etc. The few people who return after x amount of time as multis are few and far between and isn't worth the mistake of losing long time members who may have took a year's break from the site or whatever by removing accounts that they have medals and records on? If they are found to have been unintentional, then their old account is returned to them. The case that sparked this up was actually a multiple multi with several active accounts pretending to be a returnee (or something like that).

Totally unrelated to my reasons. One reason some sites don't do it is because of gaps in the database. Each account has a unique ID, when you delete one, that ID can never be used again. CC might not care about that, but I know some sites do.
Major Shannon Apple

Postby blakebowling on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:
Donelladan wrote:

It's totally fine imo if you're talking about accounts with less than 10 games played, but it's not okay to remove accounts that have been here a long time, have built up a reputation, medals, tournament wins, etc. The few people who return after x amount of time as multis are few and far between and isn't worth the mistake of losing long time members who may have took a year's break from the site or whatever by removing accounts that they have medals and records on? If they are found to have been unintentional, then their old account is returned to them. The case that sparked this up was actually a multiple multi with several active accounts pretending to be a returnee (or something like that).

Totally unrelated to my reasons. One reason some sites don't do it is because of gaps in the database. Each account has a unique ID, when you delete one, that ID can never be used again. CC might not care about that, but I know some sites do.

This, as well as: Once a user has played a game, they are linked to that game forever. If that account were deleted, it would cause issues with any of the games they had previously played.
Cook blakebowling
Administrator
Administrator

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)
Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (10)

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:23 pm

blakebowling wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:
Donelladan wrote:

This, as well as: Once a user has played a game, they are linked to that game forever. If that account were deleted, it would cause issues with any of the games they had previously played.

Do they not have a unique serial number that they are identified by on the server? And even if they don't, they could be assigned one. The account could remain as a numerically-coded database number, while the name itself could be recycled and put back into circulation.

Here's a random sampling of some famous names from history or from fiction, that are forever ruined because somone way back when took them, played very briefly, and abandoned them, rendering them useless to anyone else who might take better care of them:
Robin Hood (2 games)
Terminator (13 games)
Washington (17 games)
Julius Ceasar (24 games)
Luke Skywalker (1 game)
Lao Tzu (1 game)
Germanicus (12 games)
Billy the Kid (1 game)
Hazelnut (1 game)
Wellington (1 game)
Gollum (1 game)
Chewbacca (ZERO games!)
Galahad (1 game)
Champlain (4 games)
Blackbeard (ZERO games!)
Captain Bligh (ZERO games!)

Note: I did NOT spend hours and hours compiling that list! I very quickly typed out 25 famous names from history or fiction (well, hazelnut was strictly speaking neither, but it just popped into my head) and when I tested them, 16 out of 25 upheld my theory.

So, we are forever denied the pleasure of having a Captain Bligh roaming the site for us to hate on and attack, just because some ignorant dickhead four years ago logged in, claimed the name, didn't stick around to play one single solitary game, and wandered off, never to be seen or heard from again. And tomorrow, if somebody who is a real wild-and-crazy Captain Bligh fanatic comes to the site, we won't be able to let him role-play his favourite character because of this unknown wanderer four years ago who contributed nothing to our site in any way.

Now, I'm sure if you tried different lists of famous names you would get different results, but I'll bet that my result of 65% of the good names ruined is probably not far off the mark of what you would get with a larger sample size. Probably something between 50 and 80% of the good famous names have been ruined.

And the site is only eight years old! Can you imagine, if it's this bad now, what it will be like when the site is 25 or 30 years old? There won't be any names available at all except unpronounceable random character strings!

Let's put a stop to it now. If someone hasn't played a single game, recycle their name in one year. If they haven't played 10 games, recycle their name in two years after their last log-in. If they haven't played 100 games, recycle their name in three years after their last log-in. Or make the break-points something else. I'm not obsessing about the exact numbers, just the concept.

I'm sure there's lots of good players who would love to call themselves Wellington or Chewbacca, and end up calling themselves Caopectate_359 or something, because the good names are being occupied by ghosts.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.
Colonel Dukasaur

Medals: 162
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (44)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby blakebowling on Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:49 am

Dukasaur wrote:
blakebowling wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:
Donelladan wrote:

Do they not have a unique serial number that they are identified by on the server? And even if they don't, they could be assigned one. The account could remain as a numerically-coded database number, while the name itself could be recycled and put back into circulation.

Here's a random sampling of some famous names from history or from fiction, that are forever ruined because somone way back when took them, played very briefly, and abandoned them, rendering them useless to anyone else who might take better care of them:
Robin Hood (2 games)
Terminator (13 games)
Washington (17 games)
Julius Ceasar (24 games)
Luke Skywalker (1 game)
Lao Tzu (1 game)
Germanicus (12 games)
Billy the Kid (1 game)
Hazelnut (1 game)
Wellington (1 game)
Gollum (1 game)
Chewbacca (ZERO games!)
Galahad (1 game)
Champlain (4 games)
Blackbeard (ZERO games!)
Captain Bligh (ZERO games!)

Note: I did NOT spend hours and hours compiling that list! I very quickly typed out 25 famous names from history or fiction (well, hazelnut was strictly speaking neither, but it just popped into my head) and when I tested them, 16 out of 25 upheld my theory.

So, we are forever denied the pleasure of having a Captain Bligh roaming the site for us to hate on and attack, just because some ignorant dickhead four years ago logged in, claimed the name, didn't stick around to play one single solitary game, and wandered off, never to be seen or heard from again. And tomorrow, if somebody who is a real wild-and-crazy Captain Bligh fanatic comes to the site, we won't be able to let him role-play his favourite character because of this unknown wanderer four years ago who contributed nothing to our site in any way.

Now, I'm sure if you tried different lists of famous names you would get different results, but I'll bet that my result of 65% of the good names ruined is probably not far off the mark of what you would get with a larger sample size. Probably something between 50 and 80% of the good famous names have been ruined.

And the site is only eight years old! Can you imagine, if it's this bad now, what it will be like when the site is 25 or 30 years old? There won't be any names available at all except unpronounceable random character strings!

Let's put a stop to it now. If someone hasn't played a single game, recycle their name in one year. If they haven't played 10 games, recycle their name in two years after their last log-in. If they haven't played 100 games, recycle their name in three years after their last log-in. Or make the break-points something else. I'm not obsessing about the exact numbers, just the concept.

I'm sure there's lots of good players who would love to call themselves Wellington or Chewbacca, and end up calling themselves Caopectate_359 or something, because the good names are being occupied by ghosts.

While it is possible, it would still cause some issues that would need to be worked around. What I'm saying is, at this point, it's not as easy as searching and pressing the delete button a few times.
Cook blakebowling
Administrator
Administrator

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3)
Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (10)

Postby Lord Arioch on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Cant old accounts be stored with an IP adress but the username recycled? That way if u return u file an eticket and reawaken your account with a new name? Or label it some other way... its just a thought:)
Major Lord Arioch

Next

Return to Suggestions