Conquer Club

New Bonus Concept

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

New Bonus Concept

Postby stringybeany on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:25 am

Hive II, maybe.

I don't do graphics.

Hex grid with edge connects to all four sides, except for corners which are closed.

Bonus is completely different: each territory that can be surrounded by friendly troops will earn a "queen" bonus next round. How it's distributed is up for discussion.

It's completely different, and I have tested it repeatedly on board with real dice. Several hundred iterations.

I don't draw. Make it a big honeycomb or spiderweb or something. Queens and egg sacs (spiders vs bees?).

It's more than just a new bonus, it's a new concept. It will require a lot of fucking around.

Who's up for it? I might be able to help.
Captain stringybeany

Re: New Bonus Concept

Postby stringybeany on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:05 am

There's some interesting game play to pursue here, I am sure of it.

I just need a sample xml file (hive) and a place to mess around with it.
Captain stringybeany

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:27 am

stringybeany wrote:There's some interesting game play to pursue here, I am sure of it.

I just need a sample xml file (hive) and a place to mess around with it.

Well, here's the Hive xml:

http://www.conquerclub.com/maps/Hive.xml

I like your idea, but - although technically possible with the current xml - it would be extremely difficult/tedious to implement, and probably easier to create a new xml feature to allow it. That's unless I've misunderstood your idea.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Robespierre__ on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:32 am

Inventive idea ... could the revised XML be written to define "Queen Bee Bonus" any terit which has 100% friendlies adjacent to it of its possible adjacent terits? Would that do it? Would create some interesting gameplay on maps with a string of terits where any three in a row would be a +1 and a plus sign would be +2 or +3 etc.
Colonel Robespierre__

Postby stringybeany on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:01 am

Here's the real new twist in game play:

Once you have isolated a territory (shows as a square box in Player Map View) from every other enemy at the start of your turn , it instantly or in next turn becomes an invincible neutral ("queen", "egg sac" "totem", or whatever).

The player that makes the queen gets a +1 bonus for the rest of the game, but loses one territory count.

The board starts as an open field of totally random and mixed players. no neutrals, no obstacles, no borders, except the four corners

As queens are built the play area becomes naturally constricted.

and of course if a player's queens have no workers, the player's "invincible" queens die, opening the cell for new workers (or not).

It's important that the "queens" can never receive deployments, for obvious reasons.

I'm enthusiastic enough to invest a few hours building sample code. Plus I am between projects at the moment.

I'll get back to y'all.
Captain stringybeany

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas