Conquer Club

The Great War

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great War

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:30 am

Tviorr wrote:Just a stupid question about tokens. - Do you have to win one of the listed games to get a drop chance?

If you just have to play then can we get an idea of what the drop chance is. - I have 14 newly started games of the current types and so far no tokens. - So if its neccessary to play a hundred games to get 3 tokens, Im thinking that the tournaments will only be joined by the very lucky or the insanely active?

Am I missing something here?

I'm not sure if there's something wrong or if you're just being unlucky.

I'll send this to BW for comment.

The tokens are meant to be quite rare, so I imagine the drop rate should be similar to yellow stars.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby ooge on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:43 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Tviorr wrote:Just a stupid question about tokens. - Do you have to win one of the listed games to get a drop chance?

If you just have to play then can we get an idea of what the drop chance is. - I have 14 newly started games of the current types and so far no tokens. - So if its neccessary to play a hundred games to get 3 tokens, Im thinking that the tournaments will only be joined by the very lucky or the insanely active?

The tokens are meant to be quite rare, so I imagine the drop rate should be similar to yellow stars.

I average around 60 to 70 active games,I have never received a yellow star.
Captain ooge

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:48 am

ooge wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Yeah, you're right. I've won some yellow stars, but I've never gotten any random-dropped.

Maybe the "quite rare" descriptor means something different with event items than with stars.

You know what? Let's just forget I said anything, because I'm not an expert on this. I've written to BW for clarification. Let's just wait for it.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:59 am

mathonwy wrote:- you need an easy way of tracking what has gone on, what's is currently going on and what is coming up and a forum is not the way to do it as it's just too much typing and reading. You need a static page for players to go to that contains the schedule and record so far etc etc and you need this to make the players care about what's actually going.

The main scoreboard is automated, and that is the biggest component of "keeping track." Other components will be tracked in other ways. We've been planning this for a long time...:)

mathonwy wrote:you want a consistent group of players that goes from game 1 to game end. Just like a 4 year AD&D game, you want consistency. You want the same GM and the same core group of players. You want players to start knowing who each other are and you want players to be engaged into what's going on. If you don't, the game coordinator is going to find himself quickly losing interest FAST.

A closed "core group" is absolutely the last thing we want. This is meant to be the biggest event in the history of Conquer Club. It is our intention that by the time we are done, 90% of the members will have participated in one way or another. The first part we have unveiled is the autotournaments, and that will be the backbone all the way through. However, there will be other events of other kinds, also, and in the end there really should be "something for everybody."

It has to be wide open for all members to feel that they can play a role, even if it's a smaller one.

mathonwy wrote:It just seems a little rushed and unplanned right now?

Rushed, yes. Unplanned, no. We've been debating ideas for months, and we've got a pretty good plan. In the end, though, there just wasn't enough time to assemble everything. There are too few volunteers, spread too thin. Most of us are playing two or three different roles on Team CC, as well as having lives, families to take care of, jobs to go to. In the end, with the calendar steadily slipping away from us, we decided to release what was ready and add the other parts later.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby owenshooter on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:30 am

soooo, this thing is going to last for like 4 years?! hmmmm... anyone see any issues with that? none? ok... let me check my calendar...-JĆ©sus noir

i've got the time!! sounds like a blast!
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby stealth99 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:45 am

If you don't, the game coordinator is going to find himself quickly losing interest FAST.

It just seems a little rushed and unplanned right now?

-Math

Holy crap Math, that's a whole lot of negativity. Anything positive to say to the people volunteering their time for our benefit; or just a prediction of failure and doom (excuse the pun) and gloom. Dude there is nothing wrong with criticism but when it amounts to a prediction of failure then that's just trying too hard to be negative. Doom is a machine. I don't know him well but I know his work and my money is on him sending a congratulatory pm to the overall winner of this thing, 4 years from now.

If there is one improvement I would like to see made quicker rather than later, it's the drop rate. I do feel like you have to be very active to participate or take advantage of these programs.

Doom I loved the Preview Thread. Very nice job. I was going to comment there but didn't know if that would ruin the look of the thing or not, so I wasn't going first. Thanks bud.
Cook stealth99

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america

Postby stealth99 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:53 am

soooo, this thing is going to last for like 4 years?! hmmmm... anyone see any issues with that? none? ok... let me check my calendar...-JĆ©sus noir

Correct me if I am wrong, but no one is being asked to make a 4 year commitment here are they? Do I understand this thing correctly, that we just play some regular games and get some tokens and then when we have the required tokens we can join the occasional auto tourney and maybe win some prizes right there; but results are going to be tracked (not by any of us, so any method is fine by me) and we are going to be apprised of those results and in 4 years time someone will get a prize? Is that about it? If I want to quit in a year, no one will come to my door looking for me to play more tourneys right?

Why would that concern any of us that progressed is going to be tracked for that period of time? Is there something I am missing here as to why this cute little project is causing players to stress?
Cook stealth99

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america

Postby Tviorr on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:20 pm

Well, checking again, Ive now gotten 1 token (and 1 yellow star if thats relevant;-))

Seemingly I either missed it last time I wrote, or I miscounted (then or now) as I still get 14 droppable games when I go through my list.

Games of varying sizes including a few 8-12 player games.

Looks like just my type of event and I really look forward to playing it. - But I am left with the question - is it meant to be this hard to get in? ;-)
Major Tviorr

Location: 3 clicks beyond madness. - or in Ikariam - eta server. Write me for an invite and startup help.

Postby Gilligan on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:03 pm

ooge wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Heck. I've had nearly 100 active games at any given time since the introduction of stars and I've never received a pink one.
Major Gilligan

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Tviorr wrote:Well, checking again, Ive now gotten 1 token (and 1 yellow star if thats relevant;-))

Seemingly I either missed it last time I wrote, or I miscounted (then or now) as I still get 14 droppable games when I go through my list.

Looks like just my type of event and I really look forward to playing it. - But I am left with the question - is it meant to be this hard to get in? ;-)

The drop rate may need to be tweaked. TIme will tell.

(Incidentally, BW wrote back to remind everyone that private games, tournament and clan games, and bot games don't drop. Your best bet is to win games with lots of people. The more opponents you beat the better your chance. I think Doom already mentioned that. It's consistent with my observation that high-level stars generally come from 10-, 11-, and 12-player games.)

Now, back to the difficulty level. To some degree, yes. Remember that this event is to last four years. We envision the typical player joining maybe 3 or 4 tournaments of the 1-token level every month, and maybe 1 or 2 of the larger tournaments that will cost more that one token. (Anything from 2 to 15, I think.)

You're not going to stop playing your clan games, and your regular tournaments, and the monthly challenges, and invites from your friends, etc., etc., etc., so you probably won't want your War-related game load to account for more that 20 games or so at any given time. At least, that's our thinking.

So, yeah, if you get a token maybe two or three times a week, that should be plenty. Of course, there will be the maniacs who will set out to gain 51,575 of them, and that's okay too...:)
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Here's one of the 10-player games I started this morning: Game 14858619

5 of the 10 players got a token.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby mathonwy on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:09 pm

stealth99 wrote:
If you don't, the game coordinator is going to find himself quickly losing interest FAST.

It just seems a little rushed and unplanned right now?

-Math

Holy crap Math, that's a whole lot of negativity. Anything positive to say to the people volunteering their time for our benefit; or just a prediction of failure and doom (excuse the pun) and gloom. Dude there is nothing wrong with criticism but when it amounts to a prediction of failure then that's just trying too hard to be negative. Doom is a machine. I don't know him well but I know his work and my money is on him sending a congratulatory pm to the overall winner of this thing, 4 years from now.

If there is one improvement I would like to see made quicker rather than later, it's the drop rate. I do feel like you have to be very active to participate or take advantage of these programs.

Doom I loved the Preview Thread. Very nice job. I was going to comment there but didn't know if that would ruin the look of the thing or not, so I wasn't going first. Thanks bud.

Or.... I could just say nothing?

Maybe its better I just say nothing at all. That's probably better.

Ignore my post.

Carry on carrying on.

-Math
Major mathonwy

Postby Tviorr on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:42 pm

Why doesnt private games drop?

Edit: And wouldnt that bit be relevant information to put in The Token entry. - A guy I played with setup some games as private and invited people to join, seemingly thinking that we would all earn some tokens while enjoying those. - I joined them thinking the same and I will be surprised if most people that joined didnt think the same thing or if a bunch of other people didnt setup similar games in a similar way?

Shoudnt the above get the same drop chances as any other game?
Major Tviorr

Location: 3 clicks beyond madness. - or in Ikariam - eta server. Write me for an invite and startup help.

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Tviorr wrote:Why doesnt private games drop?

No reason. Will get it changed tonight(ish)!
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby Tviorr on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Dukasaur wrote:...

Now, back to the difficulty level. To some degree, yes. Remember that this event is to last four years. We envision the typical player joining maybe 3 or 4 tournaments of the 1-token level every month, and maybe 1 or 2 of the larger tournaments that will cost more that one token. (Anything from 2 to 15, I think.)

You're not going to stop playing your clan games, and your regular tournaments, and the monthly challenges, and invites from your friends, etc., etc., etc., so you probably won't want your War-related game load to account for more that 20 games or so at any given time. At least, that's our thinking.

So, yeah, if you get a token maybe two or three times a week, that should be plenty. Of course, there will be the maniacs who will set out to gain 51,575 of them, and that's okay too...:)

Eh. - Im not really sure I understand that thinking. - Basically you feel that people shouldnt create a huge gameload playing tournaments, so youve made i so people have to pick up gameload to play >Edit: Great War End Edit< any tournaments. - Are you sure that works? ;-)
Last edited by Tviorr on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Tviorr

Postby Tviorr on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:23 pm

Super. Thx. :-)

DoomYoshi wrote:
Tviorr wrote:Why doesnt private games drop?

No reason. Will get it changed tonight(ish)!
Major Tviorr

Postby agentcom on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Can you post a link to waiting, qualifying games like you've done for the challenges?

This event sounds insane. I'm excited even if I don't think that I'll move very far up the scoreboard.
Colonel agentcom

Postby muti on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:09 pm

I second what agent said. Can we have a link to qualifying games. Also I think it would be good to make entry easier as surely the main idea is that people play the tournament games not that people play lots of games they are only doing in the hope of a random drop to allow them to play the tournament games. That's just sadistic for those of us with jobs and lives who would like to be involved.
Cook muti

Postby Heg on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Sounds really good - big up to the folks involved in getting this started.
Private 1st Class Heg

Postby ooge on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:34 pm

Gilligan wrote:
ooge wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Heck. I've had nearly 100 active games at any given time since the introduction of stars and I've never received a pink one.

I have 3 pink stars I think I spent one way back in the beginning before I knew how difficult they are to get.Not sure when I got them but for some reason I think it was around the time the stars were introduced.
Captain ooge

Postby lanceeee on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:59 pm

I'm in, but from what I've seen about the requirements to get in, I don't see that happening. You are expecting 90% participation? Seems more like 10%. I average about 30 games at a time, and none meet the criteria.

Dukasaur wrote:
Tviorr wrote:Well, checking again, Ive now gotten 1 token (and 1 yellow star if thats relevant;-))

The drop rate may need to be tweaked. TIme will tell.

(Incidentally, BW wrote back to remind everyone that private games, tournament and clan games, and bot games don't drop. Your best bet is to win games with lots of people. The more opponents you beat the better your chance. I think Doom already mentioned that. It's consistent with my observation that high-level stars generally come from 10-, 11-, and 12-player games.)

Corporal lanceeee

Postby lanceeee on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:13 am

Ditto

muti wrote:I second what agent said. Can we have a link to qualifying games. Also I think it would be good to make entry easier as surely the main idea is that people play the tournament games not that people play lots of games they are only doing in the hope of a random drop to allow them to play the tournament games. That's just sadistic for those of us with jobs and lives who would like to be involved.
Corporal lanceeee

Postby lanceeee on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:16 am

Even though I have some issues with how the tokens are handed out (see previous posts), Ditto on the statement below.

Heg wrote:Sounds really good - big up to the folks involved in getting this started.
Corporal lanceeee

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:55 am

Gilligan wrote:
ooge wrote: I average around 60 to 70 active games,I have never received a yellow star.

I have over 100 constantly and never received a pink or yellow.

Also, why the hell are tokens not given for private games? I don't want to play with the farmers and retards, I want to play with good players.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby badmoon on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:30 am

So chances of getting tokens are gone? Well then, good luck all.
Private 1st Class badmoon

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives