Conquer Club

The Great War

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Great War

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:59 am

badmoon wrote:So chances of getting tokens are gone? Well then, good luck all.

No, they will continue to be handed out for a while.

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Also, why the hell are tokens not given for private games? I don't want to play with the farmers and retards, I want to play with good players.

Understood. Private games should have been added now.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:00 am

lanceeee wrote:I'm in, but from what I've seen about the requirements to get in, I don't see that happening. You are expecting 90% participation? Seems more like 10%. I average about 30 games at a time, and none meet the criteria.

The criteria isn't expected to stay static. Eventually you will get a token.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:03 am

DoomYoshi wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
Also, why the hell are tokens not given for private games? I don't want to play with the farmers and retards, I want to play with good players.

Thanks, and apologies for the language. Will this go into effect for private games already started or only from now?
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:05 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:

Thanks, and apologies for the language. Will this go into effect for private games already started or only from now?

It will go into effect for winners of games already started, but joins only for now.
Major DoomYoshi

Postby macbone on Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:15 am

I've created some 12-player Standard Escalating games on these 4 maps if anyone wants to join. Just click my name and go to "Find all games with macbone."
Colonel macbone

Postby ooge on Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:44 am

I dont play speed games often but I did when they had them for St. pats day,Christmas and Easter.Do you think something like that would work for this and increase the participation.I am talking about those mini speed game tourneys.
Captain ooge

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:55 pm

ooge wrote:I dont play speed games often but I did when they had them for St. pats day,Christmas and Easter.Do you think something like that would work for this and increase the participation.I am talking about those mini speed game tourneys.

We tried them during the Olympics and it didn't go so great. I will probably reserve those for "holiday" events.
Major DoomYoshi

Postby ooge on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:54 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
ooge wrote:I dont play speed games often but I did when they had them for St. pats day,Christmas and Easter.Do you think something like that would work for this and increase the participation.I am talking about those mini speed game tourneys.

We tried them during the Olympics and it didn't go so great. I will probably reserve those for "holiday" events.

Fair enough but I think there was problem with the settings for those,and adding incentives is always a good thing,stars for finishing 2nd through 4th.if a player thinks they may get something out of it they are more likely to join. and of course adding a G.A. medal will guarantee they will be played.
Captain ooge

Postby Tviorr on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Well, I rarely play speed games as Im a bit of a slowpoke. - On the upside (one of many) of the Olympics they did get me to try out more speed games.

There were some problems and not all of them because of my ineptitude. - One tourney had be playing 3 simulateneus games with a 1 minute limite as I recall ;-) That was more than my pad was upfore not to mention my fat fingers ;-)

Still, if a bit of care was taken with the setup of speed tourneys for this great war bash, so hopefully it could be one game at a time, Id very likely be hooked into some of those as well.

Im looking forward to the Great War bash that promises to steal way too much of my time. - Im still a bit overwhelmed by the number of tokens seemingly required, but I trust I dont actually need 51,000 ;-)

A couple of questions though:

1) If someone was silly enough to try to get into every single tournament, then how many tokens would be needed? If its not determined exactly yet, a best guess would be nice as well :-)

2) Is there a deadline on the different tourney types. - That is if you dont manage to get enough tokens and get into a specific tournament, will you miss your chance to get into that tourney completely or will they stay for the entire event or for that matter come back periodically?

Im excited already. Ive even caught a few dice for my first Great War tourney, so I might actually win a game ;-)
Major Tviorr

Location: 3 clicks beyond madness. - or in Ikariam - eta server. Write me for an invite and startup help.

Postby BG Warrior on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:12 pm

? how do you get war tokens to play in the great war?
Lieutenant BG Warrior

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:44 pm

BG Warrior wrote:? how do you get war tokens to play in the great war?

Current token criteria are listed here: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=207817&p=4556455#p4556466

They will change from time to time. That post will be updated when there are changes.

Tviorr wrote:Im looking forward to the Great War bash that promises to steal way too much of my time. - Im still a bit overwhelmed by the number of tokens seemingly required, but I trust I dont actually need 51,000 ;-)

A couple of questions though:

1) If someone was silly enough to try to get into every single tournament, then how many tokens would be needed? If its not determined exactly yet, a best guess would be nice as well :-)

Well, after I read your post I did a rough estimate in my head. The tournaments that are currently up, if you were to join them all, cost 9 tokens. They will be up for roughly a week before the next batch, which will be approximately the same size, maybe slightly larger. So, for the next month expect to use something like 9-15 tokens per week, or something in the neigbourhood of 40 to 50.

Once we are caught up and are in real time, DoomYoshi said the rate of new tournaments would be cut in half. So, for every month except the first, expect to use something between 20 and 25. There are just under 51 months in the event, so call it (50x22.5)+(1x45) which works out to 1170. That's a misleading level of precision though. Given all the uncertainties involved, we really should have no more than 1 significant digit in our answer, so I would say not less than a thousand and not more than two thousand.

Tviorr wrote:2) Is there a deadline on the different tourney types. - That is if you dont manage to get enough tokens and get into a specific tournament, will you miss your chance to get into that tourney completely or will they stay for the entire event or for that matter come back periodically?

Once they're gone, they're gone. We're following the events of the war. Each event only happens once. There may be some repetition with repetitive battles, of course. First and Second Battle of Champagne, First and Second Battle of Kut, etc., might result in repeating an old tournament, or they might have completely new tournaments associated with them. Time will tell. Especially with all the different Battles of the Isonzo, I would expect that maybe some battle will be replicated along the way. Still, those situations will be rare, and in 99% of the cases, assume that if you miss it, you miss it permanently.

I would recommend one thing, though. (And I hope DoomYoshi doesn't have me executed for giving away too much here.) I think even if you can't join every tournament, you should at least read the description of each one. There will be non-game events, and among the many ideas we have thought about are some of the following:
  • Role-playing contests, where you're rewarded for making a creative forum post in the voice of a historical personage, and some of what happened to them in the battles may be relevant.
  • Historical trivia contests, and if we do any of those, then data about some of the battles will definitely be relevant.
  • Hidden symbol searches, where symbols may be hidden in any place relevant to the great war, including the tourney descriptions.
  • Cryptography challenges, where there may be a hidden message in some description or other.
I'm not promising that any specific one of those will actually be used as the War unfolds, but if you are serious about riding high in the scoreboard you should be at least considering the possibilities, and reading everything...:)
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby macbone on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:20 am

Colonel macbone

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Hi everyone, sorry about the late update. I will get to it tonight.
Major DoomYoshi

Postby nvanputten on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:06 pm

mathonwy wrote:This sounds hella fun but maybe a little too ambitious for the tools that are currently available?

4 years is a very long time and without an automated way to keep track of everything, it'll be near impossible to maintain everyone's interest that long (and that's includes the game coordinator's as well).

If you're doing something this long,
- you need an easy way of tracking what has gone on, what's is currently going on and what is coming up and a forum is not the way to do it as it's just too much typing and reading. You need a static page for players to go to that contains the schedule and record so far etc etc and you need this to make the players care about what's actually going.

-Math

I think that the dedicated page is a really good idea. The forum is an awkward an inaccessible way for players to engage with this. Putting a page on the left bar under Game Menue with link to pages with rules, upcoming tournaments, current battles, and scoreboard would make it feel much more user friendly.
Major nvanputten

Postby thelord on Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:53 pm

I don't really want to keep joining 8 games to get a tank token to join a tourney and get more games. If tourney games on qualifying maps counted I would probably have to join less random games..if that makes sense.I know assassin games are quick way but I suck at them!
Major thelord

Postby stealth99 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:21 am

Initially there were 5 tourneys scheduled. They were also included in the List of Current and Upcoming Tournaments. Then a few days later, 3 more tourneys were added. Two of them are, The Seige of Tsingtao and Battle of Drina. Both of those tourneys are listed in the List of Current and Upcoming Tournaments too. However, that third tourney is no longer scheduled and never did appear in the List of Current and Upcoming Tournaments. It is no longer available to join and I would like to know if I have missed one. The entry fee was 3 tokens but I forget the name of that tournament.

Given the very brief time that is available to join each tourny, it would be nice if that one particular link (List of Current and Upcoming Tournaments was updated at the time the tourneys are added. I understand two different people have handled both tasks, making similtaneous updating nearly impossible so this isn't a criticism but rather a suggestion that you all get together to coordinate these things moving forward. As well, could you possibly increase the time available to join these tourneys. Why the narrow window?

I am also wondering what happens to the tourneys that did start, for that "illusive" tourney?

Thanks again for bringing us this fantastic event.
Cook stealth99

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america

Postby Blinkadyblink on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:02 pm

I'm in the Battle of Antivari, and it looks like the first round will end with a tie for some of the second round spots. How does the tie-breaker work?
Major Blinkadyblink

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:58 pm

stealth99 wrote:Initially there were 5 tourneys scheduled. They were also included in the List of Current and Upcoming Tournaments. Then a few days later, 3 more tourneys were added. Two of them are, The Seige of Tsingtao and Battle of Drina. Both of those tourneys are listed in the List of Current and Upcoming Tournaments too. However, that third tourney is no longer scheduled and never did appear in the List of Current and Upcoming Tournaments. It is no longer available to join and I would like to know if I have missed one. The entry fee was 3 tokens but I forget the name of that tournament.

Given the very brief time that is available to join each tourny, it would be nice if that one particular link (List of Current and Upcoming Tournaments was updated at the time the tourneys are added. I understand two different people have handled both tasks, making similtaneous updating nearly impossible so this isn't a criticism but rather a suggestion that you all get together to coordinate these things moving forward. As well, could you possibly increase the time available to join these tourneys. Why the narrow window?

I am also wondering what happens to the tourneys that did start, for that "illusive" tourney?

Thanks again for bringing us this fantastic event.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I'm glad you're enjoying the event despite the occasional problems with it!

Okay, I'll answer as many of your questions as possible.

1. First of all, it's five people working on this, not two, and I'll admit the five of us have not always been perfectly co-ordinated. It should get better as time goes on, but there were a lot of growing pains with getting started. We could still use more help with this, if there are some history buffs out there that would like to contribute and help work on some of the events.

We're all just incredibly busy with a lot of different things, both online and in real life, and we've all had to work on this project in between other projects, and yeah, it shows a little bit in less than perfect organisation, but I think your comment and those of other people clearly show that there are lots of people having fun with this event despite some of the rough edges.
  2. The List of Current and Upcoming Tournaments does contain all the tournaments that have been run or are currently being run. The first five on the list -- Cer, Black&Aegean, Antivari, Tannenberg, and Franz Ferdinand -- are now closed, so yes, if you missed one of those you missed it permanently. Those five should have been moved to List of Previous Tournaments by now, but we're playing catch-up all over the place.

The last three -- Tsingtao, Dvina, and First Masurian -- are currently still active, and you can still get into those. I'm not sure what you mean by "no longer scheduled and never did appear." All three of those you can still get in on. Not for much longer, but for a while.

Just to be clear, in case there's some misunderstanding. While these autos are active, they reiterate as soon as they fill. So, while "Battle of Tannenberg" is only described once, there are actually five "Battle of Tanneberg" tournaments going on. As each one filled, a new one was created, until the designated expiry date. There is sometimes a short delay after one fills before the new copy of it is iterated. Usually it's only a few minutes, but I've seen it take a few hours too, so maybe that's what you mean about a tourney not appearing.

Every one of the tourneys run thus far has had more than one iteration. For many there were two or three. For Tannenberg there were five, and Tsingtao so far already has six.

3. Nos sunt in culpa about upcoming tournaments not being listed. So, here is a rough outline of the autos that we will be bringing you soon.
    1. The very next one you will see will be The Escape of the Goeben. This will be the biggest thus far, and it will be the first Level 3 tourney, with an entry fee of 7 tokens and correspondingly much larger prizes.
    2. After that you will see the Belgian campaign appear over a period of about a week. Four tourneys, representing the battles of Liege, Haelen, Namur, and Louvain, about two days apart. I think one of those will be a level 2 (3 tokens) and three of them will be level 1s (1 token) but that might still change.
    3. Then will come the beginning of the African campaign. I haven't even started writing it, so I can't tell you much at all, except that if you think it will include the Dark Continent map, you're right.
    4. After that we return to the Russian front, do the Battle of Galicia, and of course the titanic Siege of Przemyśl, Battle of ÅĆ³dÅŗ, the Gorlice-Tarnov Offensive, the Bergmann Offensive. Wow! There's just so much.
    5. Back to the Western Front and Marne and Aisne, bang bang bang!
  4. Why is the time delay so short? You have to realize that we're trying to catch up to the point where we are in real time. The original intention was to be in real time, so that the Battle of Cer which began on August 15 1914 should have been celebrated on Conquer Club starting on August 15 2014. Unfortunately, due to the late start, we had to move battles later than their actual start date. What ENORMOUSLY complicates this isssue, is that there were just so many significant battles in the first two months of the war. In August and September of 1914, there were no fewer than 26 named battles. Yes, that's not a typo. TWENTY SIX! It was a wild and crazy martial gang bang, those first couple months. In addition to the 26 battles, we've decided to mark some very important non-battle dates, such as the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, the Escape of the Goeben, and other things. So, we have this double whammy of so many things to commemorate in a very short time, aggravated by the fact that we started late.

Thus, the short timelines. Each battle can only be up for a little while in order to make room for more.

Assuming that we're all caught up by December 3rd, the Battle of Qurna, after that there will be a much more sedate pace.

Blinkadyblink wrote:I'm in the Battle of Antivari, and it looks like the first round will end with a tie for some of the second round spots. How does the tie-breaker work?

Same as other autotournaments:
http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?mode=tournaments5
Ties in Score shall be broken by the following rules, applied in order:

Percentage of wins in the tournament as a whole
The cumulative number of Game rounds required to win the games they have won in the tournament (winning in less rounds is better)
The order in which the player joined the tournament (first player to join wins)
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby stealth99 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:26 am

Thank you Dukasaur. All of my questions were answered in your very informative reply. I for one have no problem remaining patient while this thing comes together.

The last three -- Tsingtao, Dvina, and First Masurian -- are currently still active, and you can still get into those. I'm not sure what you mean by "no longer scheduled and never did appear." All three of those you can still get in on. Not for much longer, but for a while.

At the time of my post yesterday, the only two tourneys available were Drina and Tsingtao. I was inquiring about First Masurian. Since my post, that tourney has appeared again and all is well. I guess I happened on the scene while it was transitioning between a filled tourney and the creation of a new one.

Dukasaur I truly wish I had the time to offer you to help. I do understand your situation and hope that players step up to give you guys a hand.

Finally, I think you made the correct call to unleash this thing as it is. The few bugs have not ruined anything for anyone and it will only improve from here. It's nice of you to share those details with us dk, sometimes what you do is taken for granted and we all need a little reminder of exactly what is required behind the scenes to provide the enjoyment we all receive from events like this.
Cook stealth99

Location: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada......oldest and most easterly city in north america

Postby BoganGod on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 am

So how do I sign up?
Sergeant 1st Class BoganGod

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:21 pm

BG Warrior wrote:? how do you get war tokens to play in the great war?

Subject: The Great War
DoomYoshi wrote:Tokens

To get a Tank token, one has to play a game on Austro-Hungarian Empire,Balkan Peninsula,King Of The Mountains,Europe 1914 and hope it drops. The higher the # of players there is, the better drop rate you get!

Before you ask, they were briefly awarded for speed games on all maps.

BoganGod wrote:So how do I sign up?

1. Get tokens. (see above)
  2. Use your tokens to join autotournaments. The simplest way is to click on the links at the top of your My Games page.

Everything you need to know is in post 1:
Subject: The Great War

DoomYoshi wrote:The general flowchart is:
tokens -> auto-tournaments -> prizes and medals
medals -> scoreboard -> bigger prizes

Quick Links:
Scoreboard
Preview Thread
Prizes
Autotournament Rules
List of Current and Upcoming Tournaments
List of Previous Tournaments
List of Token Criteria
Scoreboard Explanation
General FAQ NONE YET

show: Event Credits
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby UltrasPlot on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Wait so are the tournaments essentially premium-only?
Sergeant 1st Class UltrasPlot

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:51 pm

UltrasPlot wrote:Wait so are the tournaments essentially premium-only?

So far they have been. There's some freemie-friendly tourneys in the plan for the near future.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Re: Qualifying games for TOKENS

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:17 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Tokens

To get a Tank token, one has to play a game on Austro-Hungarian Empire,Balkan Peninsula,King Of The Mountains,Europe 1914 and hope it drops. The higher the # of players there is, the better drop rate you get!

Before you ask, they were briefly awarded for speed games on all maps.

Search link to find waiting token-eligible games

thanks to agentcom for designing the link.

Added a search link.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby UltrasPlot on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:57 pm

Thank you.
Sergeant 1st Class UltrasPlot

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives