Conquer Club

1944 Operation Overlord V8

This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 1944 Operation Overlord V6

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Looking really nice!

Added it to this month's headlines so you can get some more commentary and keep up the momentum.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby thelord on Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:59 pm

Keep at it T_o_m. I'm looking forward to anew map to play/ try out. Let me know asap when it goes to beta! or if you need players to test.
Major thelord

Postby t-o-m on Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:39 pm

Thank you very much Dukasaur and thelord for your support!
Major t-o-m

Postby thelord on Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:45 am

Oh and at the risk of the wrath of GORANZ... I still like S being up. But i live in Southland NZ. Pretty much at the top of the world!
Major thelord

Postby t-o-m on Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:30 am

thelord wrote:Oh and at the risk of the wrath of GORANZ... I still like S being up. But i live in Southland NZ. Pretty much at the top of the world!

Hahah! I like your thinking. We are on a giant rock hurtling through nothingness ā€“ north and south are simply figments of our imagination!
Major t-o-m

Postby Robespierre__ on Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:48 pm

Is Igdigo supposed to be Indigo?

I am guessing artillery can only bombard the ships in the adjacent areas? This probably should be noted in the description somehow.

Glad someone is taking the time to try to get a new map launched!

-- Robes
Colonel Robespierre__

Postby t-o-m on Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:41 am

Robespierre__ wrote:Is Igdigo supposed to be Indigo?

I am guessing artillery can only bombard the ships in the adjacent areas? This probably should be noted in the description somehow.

Glad someone is taking the time to try to get a new map launched!

Yep! My mistake. Thanks for spotting that.

You're absolutely right. That's a piece of potential confusion that I intend to fix by colour co-ordinating the regions of artillery and bombardments.

Thanks for your support!
Major t-o-m

Postby t-o-m on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:23 am

Bump.

I haven't given up on this.
Major t-o-m

Postby iancanton on Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:23 am

t-o-m wrote:
Robespierre__ wrote:I am guessing artillery can only bombard the ships in the adjacent areas? This probably should be noted in the description somehow.

You're absolutely right. That's a piece of potential confusion that I intend to fix by colour co-ordinating the regions of artillery and bombardments.

will u be differentiating the artillery and ships by making them three different colours, for example purple, red and orange, so that the purple, red and orange artillery can bombard only those ships which have explosion outlines of purple, red and orange respectively?

u've successfully replaced all of the french city names in france with non-french code names. similarly, on the uk side, replace nantes, whitby and york with code names that are both non-french and non-british.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby t-o-m on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:34 am

iancanton wrote:
t-o-m wrote:You're absolutely right. That's a piece of potential confusion that I intend to fix by colour co-ordinating the regions of artillery and bombardments.

will u be differentiating the artillery and ships by making them three different colours, for example purple, red and orange, so that the purple, red and orange artillery can bombard only those ships which have explosion outlines of purple, red and orange respectively?

u've successfully replaced all of the french city names in france with non-french code names. similarly, on the uk side, replace nantes, whitby and york with code names that are both non-french and non-british.

Hi Ian!

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

I have changed the names below, and yes, that is how I plan to communicate the bombardments.

Are you able to help me troubleshoot the Map Maker? The army numbers are showing up properly, but the map inspect doesn't seem to be functioning ā€“ nothing happens when I hover over regions, and there is no information in the 'map inspect' section below the map. I would really appreciate any help could give me, as this is the only thing holding back progress on my end :)

Map Maker: http://www.conquerclub.com/mapmaker/index.php

Map image file: http://i.imgur.com/FpdSCVr.png
XML: http://filehostxml.webs.com/Operation_Overlord_v5.xml *note, not all the region names are up to date

Click image to enlarge.
Major t-o-m

Postby iancanton on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:00 pm

is it because u don't have any small map coordinates? if so, then try making the small map coordinates identical to the large map coordinates, purely for the purpose of testing the xml.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby t-o-m on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks again for your help. I put in different small coordinates for every territory and removed the <transform> tags (because I think I did that wrong), and the Map Maker says the XML is valid but the Map Inspect doesn't seem to work. Maybe I should check the XML manually? I also need to work out the <transform> tags to add the +2 Paratrooper autodeploy when held with the neighbouring Reinforcement.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Current XML: http://filehostxml.webs.com/Operation_Overlord_v9.xml
Current image file: http://i.imgur.com/FpdSCVr.png
Major t-o-m

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:37 am

Bumping.. Not sure if anyone can help with this, I know I can't unfortunately :( This looks like it might be a good map though I don't want this getting lost D:
Sergeant 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby riskllama on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:47 pm

I think he's still around. and yeah, a new map is long overdue. whatever happened to "age of man"??? looked pretty neat...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby GoranZ on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:24 pm

Last visited: 31 Aug 2016 03:17
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
General GoranZ

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:56 am

GoranZ wrote:

:? :? :?

Postby t-o-m on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:29 am

iamkoolerthanu wrote:
GoranZ wrote:

If this doesn't get published it won't be down to my lack of effort. I check this thread pretty often even if I don't log in.

My biggest problem is getting the XML functional.

P.S. thanks for all your support.
Major t-o-m

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:30 pm

t-o-m wrote:
iamkoolerthanu wrote:
GoranZ wrote:

If this doesn't get published it won't be down to my lack of effort. I check this thread pretty often even if I don't log in.

My biggest problem is getting the XML functional.

P.S. thanks for all your support.

What exactly are you having trouble with? I know next to nothing; is this something I need experience or can some serious and massive googling/youtubing teach me enough to lend a hand?

Postby Gilligan on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:38 am

do you still need assistance? but doesn't GP need to be stamped to avoid major overhauls of XML to avoid more work?
Major Gilligan

Postby GoranZ on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:12 am

Last visited: 13 Oct 2016 13:31
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
General GoranZ

Postby t-o-m on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:22 pm

Gilligan wrote:do you still need assistance? but doesn't GP need to be stamped to avoid major overhauls of XML to avoid more work?

Hey Gilligan! Yes I still need assistance with XML! I believe you are correct, the GP stamp is necessary before XML for the reason you stated. However, given the current state of the foundry I didn't want to hold my breath for the GP stamp, and wanted to work on the XML in the mean time.

If you want to work through the issues I'm having with the XML (which are getting the Map Maker to work, and the <transform> tags to add the +2 Paratrooper autodeploy when held with the neighbouring Reinforcement) then I will happy to share co-credit for the map. It is still my goal to have this live on the website :D

I will not give up on this! I just haven't had the time to understand the XML.

Thanks everyone for your continued support and interest :!:

Tom
Major t-o-m

Postby riskllama on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:32 pm

gotomgo!
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Gilligan on Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:57 pm

t-o-m wrote:
Gilligan wrote:do you still need assistance? but doesn't GP need to be stamped to avoid major overhauls of XML to avoid more work?

Hey Gilligan! Yes I still need assistance with XML! I believe you are correct, the GP stamp is necessary before XML for the reason you stated. However, given the current state of the foundry I didn't want to hold my breath for the GP stamp, and wanted to work on the XML in the mean time.

If you want to work through the issues I'm having with the XML (which are getting the Map Maker to work, and the <transform> tags to add the +2 Paratrooper autodeploy when held with the neighbouring Reinforcement) then I will happy to share co-credit for the map. It is still my goal to have this live on the website :D

I will not give up on this! I just haven't had the time to understand the XML.

Thanks everyone for your continued support and interest :!:

Tom

maybe a CA could chime in and give some advice...

however i don't see anywhere the transform is necessary. i just see autos?
Major Gilligan

Postby Gilligan on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:00 pm

also do maps still go through that beta site...?

if it does...well it will still be some time lol

it's been almost three years since we've had a new map they always seem to get hung up in there and never make it to the light of day
Major Gilligan

Postby iancanton on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:51 pm

t-o-m wrote:

Hey Gilligan! Yes I still need assistance with XML! I believe you are correct, the GP stamp is necessary before XML for the reason you stated.

while the gp stamp is needed before the xml stamp, this does not prevent u from testing the xml on the beta site.

it seems that the map inspect tool works more reliably with smaller xml files. my specific suggestion here is to cut the map in half temporarily and use only the left side, eliminating all xml references to any region on the right side. obviously, keep a copy of the full xml before u do this. if the xml doesn't work, then remove the transform and try again.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to Map Foundry