Conquer Club

Elements Version V.17 Small Map Updated

This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Elements Version V.14

Postby Vlasov on Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:59 am

I would love to see this map advanced to a playable beta version.

Sure -- it's big and challenging and a bit confusing, but the sheer awesomeness of the concept should be enough to warrant more support and advancement from the Powers That Be at CC.

Not to mention its educational value...
Major Vlasov

Postby Vlasov on Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:11 am

Same comment at the end of 2019.

What would it take for this map to be advanced to Beta status?

I recently had an experience involving holmium...
Major Vlasov

Postby HitRed on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:55 pm

Many months back someone posted elements wouldn't be fun because any territory could only attack: up, down, left and right.

1. Predictable deploys and attacks. Boring.
2. Winning would mean marching slowly from one side to the other. Boring.

I had a thought. A territory would still attack: up, down, left and right AND all the territories in its group.

Example

80 HG would attack

Up 48 Cd
Down 112 Cn
Left 79 Au
Right 82 Ti

AND 72 thru 78 Hf, Ta, W, Re, Os, Ir, Pt, (Au included above).

1. More movement
2. Easier to take long bonuses
3. More unpredictable deploys and attacks

----

Separately, DoomYushi was concerned about the Elements map not having corners, being "open ended". Meaning the left side and attack the right side. I think open ended keeps all the bonuses more or less equal.
Last edited by HitRed on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major HitRed

Postby Vlasov on Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:00 am

Good idea, HitRed.
I still think maybe 31 Gallium should be considered a liquid. Its melting point is 30°C (85°F) so it melts if you hold it in your hand.
Major Vlasov

Postby HitRed on Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:53 am

Vlasov wrote:Good idea, HitRed.
I still think maybe 31 Gallium should be considered a liquid. Its melting point is 30°C (85°F) so it melts if you hold it in your hand.

Wikipedia shows Gallium at Standard temperature and pressure as a solid.

Very cool element.

Thank you for your post.

HitRed
Major HitRed

Postby iancanton on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:02 am

HitRed wrote:A territory would still attack: up, down, left and right AND all the territories in its group.

i'm neutral to slightly positive about this change.

iancanton wrote:visually, i must say that the black periodic table of v14 has a wow factor that is missing from the previous versions!

a region bonus of +1 for every 4 elements (i prefer this to territories, as this isn't a geographical map) combines well with each player starting with 27 elements, as explained under version 13.

we probably don't need a minimum deploy of 4 troops. this appears to serve no particular purpose other than to prolong someone's death.

there is some room to stretch the squares vertically, so that there's space between the flags and the troop counts.

the shading for ancient autos (no apostrophe wanted!) and gases is good, but needs to be made more obvious, perhaps by using contrasting colours.

this is a map on which i expect extreme stacking to be rare, so i'm not greatly worried about 4-digit blue troop counts overflowing into the black area, which is a concern on some other maps.

while some bonuses are obvious, like alkali metals, others are not, such as all magnetics. for ease of play, i suggest that all bonus descriptions in the legend are preceded by the quantity of elements needed, for example 6 alkali metals or 5 magnetics. this does not apply to the ancient autos or red nuclear decay.

all of the above comments still apply.

43 Tc is missing its dotted purple border.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby HitRed on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 pm

Ok, I'll drop that idea of more attack areas.

I guess the real question is, Do I still have a graphic artist?

Ian, before I go any further are there any more changes (besides above) you want? Any ideas that take it to the next level? Artists are rare around here and I won't want to burn a lot of his time in reworks.

HitRed
Major HitRed

Postby EBConquer on Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:40 am

HitRed wrote:Ok, I'll drop that idea of more attack areas.

Ian, before I go any further are there any more changes (besides above) you want? Any ideas that take it to the next level? Artists are rare around here and I won't want to burn a lot of his time in reworks.

HitRed

Yes , I’m still here :lol:

Actually just came back from a great cc break and much needed.

Last thing I did was widening up the squares, never shared. It’s a job and lots of math involved. Was going to show one row, then go from there. Highlights on different terts is the easy stuff.
Colonel EBConquer

Postby HitRed on Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:59 am

EBConquer wrote:
HitRed wrote:Ok, I'll drop that idea of more attack areas.

HitRed

Yes , I’m still here :lol:

Actually just came back from a great cc break and much needed.

Last thing I did was widening up the squares, never shared. It’s a job and lots of math involved. Was going to show one row, then go from there. Highlights on different terts is the easy stuff.

This is just amazing! So glad you are back! Let's double check with Ian and make sure we have everything.

HitRed
Major HitRed

Postby HitRed on Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:46 am

The Game Log will read as follows.

Atomic Number, Symbol, Element Name

riverj assaulted 1 H Hydrogen from 3 Li Lithium and conquered it from spanishclaret

---

A normal turn would look like this

2020-06-28 10:51:05 - cpusurfer got bonus of 1 troops added to 79 Au Gold
2020-06-28 10:51:05 - cpusurfer got bonus of -1 troops added to 88 Ra Radium
2020-06-28 10:51:05 - cpusurfer received 1 troops for holding 52 Tc Tellurium, Flag of Discovery Habsburg Empire
2020-06-28 10:51:05 - cpusurfer received 3 troops for holding 5 Magnetics
2020-06-28 10:51:05 - cpusurfer received 5 troops for holding 6 Alkali metals
2020-06-28 10:51:05 - cpusurfer received 5 troops for 20 regions
2020-06-28 10:51:06 - cpusurfer deployed 8 troops on 75 Re Rhenium
2020-06-28 10:51:09 - cpusurfer assaulted 107 Bh Bohrium from 75 Re Rhenium and conquered it from Bobby4254
2020-06-28 10:51:19 - cpusurfer reinforced 78 Pt Platinum with 5 troops from 79 Au Gold
2020-06-28 10:51:19 - cpusurfer ended the turn
Last edited by HitRed on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Major HitRed

Postby Vlasov on Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:12 am

I like option C.
Also, someone suggested earlier to put the number of elements needed for each group bonus, listed in the legend at the bottom. I agree.
Last edited by Vlasov on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major Vlasov

Postby HitRed on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:20 am

Map corrections:

I would like to change "Each Flag" to "Each Flag of Discovery" This invites the players to dig into the history. Another goal of mine.

The Habsburg Empire flag is on 51 Sb Antimony and should be on 52 Tc Tellurium, Flag of Discovery Habsburg Empire

Flag for 39 Y Yttrium, Flag of Discovery Finland needs to be added

Flag for 118 Og Oganesson, Flag of Discovery Russia needs to be added

Please update bonuses

5 Alkali corrected
5 Alkaline
10 Lathanoids corrected
12 Actinoids corrected
4 Transition A
8 Transition B adjusted due to extreme attack/defend areas
5 Transition C corrected then adjusted due to extreme attack/defend areas. Still 5.
3 Transition D corrected
8 Post Transition
6 Metalloids
7 Other Nonmetals
6 Noble Gases

Question? We are looking at the small map below. It uses outlines instead of symbols. Which is fine. On the large map will we use outlines also? If Yes, OK. If No, then we will have Stonehenge and actual nuclear symbols. I think with the larger area we were thinking of using more symbols on the large map.

Referring to the solid Yellow outline for liquids and black/purple dashes for nuclear. Then we need to consider a color swap between liquids and purple (as nuclear symbols are yellow). Because the legend can't say purple nuclear on one and yellow nuclear symbols on the other and still call it purple as in the XML bonus for nuclear.

Last edited by HitRed on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Major HitRed

XML READY TO TEST!!!

Postby HitRed on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:28 pm

Stayed late and kicked it out! :ugeek:

XML for Elements Version v.14

Need Code Inspect to see if it works. Small and large X and Y need updating.

HitRed

OLD MXL
Attachments
Elemements XML.xml
(59.24 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Last edited by HitRed on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major HitRed

Re: Elements Version V.14 Consolidated List of Changes

Postby HitRed on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:19 pm

Consolidated List of Changes

Change "1 troop for every 4 territories." to read "1 troop for every 4 elements."

Remove "Minimum 4 troop deploy."

Stretch the squares vertically, so that there's space between the flags and the troop counts.

The shading for ancient autos (no apostrophe wanted!) and gases is good, but needs to be made more obvious, perhaps by using contrasting colors.

This is a map on which i expect extreme stacking to be rare, so i'm not greatly worried about 4-digit blue troop counts overflowing into the black area, which is a concern on some other maps.

While some bonuses are obvious, like alkali metals, others are not, such as all magnetics. for ease of play, i suggest that all bonus descriptions in the legend are preceded by the quantity of elements needed, for example 6 alkali, 6 Alkaline, 15 Lanthanoids, 15 Actinoids, 10 Transition A, 10 Transition B, 9 Transition C, 9 Transition D, 13 Post Transition, 7 Metalloids, 11 Other Nonmetals, 7 Noble Gases, 6 Red Biologicals, 5 Green Biologicals, 2 Liquids, 12 Gases, 5 magnetics. this does not apply to the ancient autos or red nuclear decay.

43 Tc is missing its dotted purple border.

I would like to change "Each Flag" to "Each Flag of Discovery" This invites the players to dig into the history. Another goal of mine.

The Habsburg Empire flag is on 51 Sb Antimony and should be on 52 Tc Tellurium, Flag of Discovery Habsburg Empire

Image Habsburg Empire

Flag for 39 Y Yttrium, Flag of Discovery Finland needs to be added

Image Finland

Flag for 118 Og Oganesson, Flag of Discovery Russia needs to be added

Image Russia

Please update bonuses

+3 Alkali
+3 Alkaline
+8 Lathanoids
+10 Actinoids
+7 Transition A
+7 Transition B
+6 Transition C
+5 Transition D
+9 Post Transition
+5 Metalloids
+5 Other Nonmetals - Due to Red Biologicals being in this bonus
+4 Noble Gases
+2 Red Biologicals
+3 Green Biologicals
+1 Liquids
+3 Gases - Due to Noble Gases being in this bonus
+3 Magnetics
+1 Flags
Major HitRed

Postby HitRed on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Stayed late and kicked it out! :ugeek:

XML for Elements Version v.14 UPDATED FOR BONUSES

Need Code Inspect to see if it works. Small and large X and Y need updating.

HitRed
Attachments
Elemements XML.xml
(58.42 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Major HitRed

Re: Elements Version V.15 NEW ART

Postby HitRed on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:15 pm

V.15 Small Map

EBConquer is still polishing details. Ian, are the box sizes ok? It’s massive rework if not. Before he works on the large map we need to make sure.

HitRed
Major HitRed

Re: Elements Version V.15 Small Map Updated

Postby Vlasov on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:26 am

The frame colors for "All Magnetics" don't match between the elements (Fe, Co, Ni) and the legend.
Major Vlasov

Re: Elements Version V.16 Small Map Updated

Postby HitRed on Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:09 am

V.16 Small Map

Many updates included.
Major HitRed

Postby riskllama on Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:23 pm

welcome back, EB... =D>
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby HitRed on Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:38 am

V.17 Small Map Update
Major HitRed

Re: Elements Version V.17 Small Map Updated

Postby Donelladan on Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:13 am

FYI, I find V.13 was way nicer. I don't really like the new look.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby HitRed on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:09 pm

Thanks for the input. Pi-School was perfect capturing the middle school theme. For Elements we wanted a different look. EB is still making updates and revisions. Stay tuned.

HitRed
Major HitRed

Postby iancanton on Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:00 pm

i prefer the v14 table to the later versions, as the troop counts are not so likely to run into each other or off the edge of the map if players stack in a no-spoils multi-player game.

to use the space better, the flags can be moved to the left corner beside the chemical symbol, with the atomic number being in the other left corner.

i presume it's a lot of work to stretch the squares vertically, as this hasn't been done. if so, then we can see whether other methods work.

why does 52 Te have the habsburg empire flag, while 60 Nd has the austrian flag?

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby HitRed on Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:13 pm

iancanton wrote:
iancanton wrote:i prefer the v14 table to the later versions, as the troop counts are not so likely to run into each other or off the edge of the map if players stack in a no-spoils multi-player game.

Copy of earlier quote July 26, 2020
this is a map on which i expect extreme stacking to be rare, so i'm not greatly worried about 4-digit blue troop counts overflowing into the black area, which is a concern on some other maps.
So we removed the side black as we thought it was OK. We made the boxes WIDER and were told stacking was rare, meaning we could keep the troop circles even.

iancanton wrote:to use the space better, the flags can be moved to the left corner beside the chemical symbol, with the atomic number being in the other left corner.
I would prefer switching the chemical symbol and the flag. This will still create the space you want. So both the number and chemical symbol will be on the left. See next question before answering.

iancanton wrote:i presume it's a lot of work to stretch the squares vertically, as this hasn't been done. if so, then we can see whether other methods work.
The boxes were stretched BOTH ways. The only way to get more vertical room is move and shorten the sentences on the bottom. Also, remove the black at the top. Freeing up 1 inch?

iancanton wrote:
iancanton wrote:why does 52 Te have the Hapsburg empire flag, while 60 Nd has the Austrian flag?

May, 2018

incidentally, the discoverer of tellurium, franz-joseph müller von reichenstein was, as suggested by his strongly germanic name, in no way romanian. he was born in either vienna or transylvania, which were both part of the austrian habsburg monarchy. romania was a neighbouring country and had no involvement in the discovery, but gained transylvania after the empire was defeated in the first world war, well after his death.

I needed a few more bonuses and having modern Austria and old Habsburg was your idea. =D>
This was quickly followed by splitting UK into England and Scotland flags. The moves were perfect.

HitRed
Major HitRed

PreviousNext

Return to Map Foundry