Conquer Club

Nantucket v11

This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Nantucket v10

Postby iancanton on Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:40 pm

Minister X wrote:"Surfside" first appears on a 1921 map. No region/neighborhood name appears before that but on maps from 1838 to 1891 two small ponds are shown along the south coast in the area of our tert. One is named "Weweeder Pond" (in one later map "Weedweeder") and the other is "Nobadeer Pond". I think we could adopt either (minus "pond"). They're both quite cute.

let's use one of these, with "pond", as there are other geographical features named on the map as regions.

Minister X wrote:And who was this founder's wife? Dionis Stevens. She lived to be 71 years old and had 75 grandchildren. Yowza!

Chances are the 1880's developers simply honored her by naming their subdivision after her. Using the same name on our map we might be anachronistic to a degree but I wouldn't mind honoring her as well. I recommend we either keep her name or adopt "Cambridge".

cambridge is a bit generic, as i can think of at least three other places called that and one is even in massachusetts too. capaum pond is possible, to go with the one above. dionis leads to instant suspicions of historical illiteracy. if we honour dionis, should we not do the same for her husband? does dionis & tristram fit the bill?

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: Nantucket v11

Postby Minister X on Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:30 pm

v11:

• Changed tert names Dionis and Surfside to Capaum Pond and Nobadeer Pond respectively.
• All sea terts that were neutral 2's changed to neutral 1's.

Question: "Whales can be reached only from..." might be a bit ambiguous regarding troops at a whale returning to or attacking Miacomet Rip or Old Man Shoal. This can be changed to "Whales connect only with..." if we want two-way movement. I think we do. But if for some reason we want whale troops to be stuck in whales, we need to make that clear.
Major Minister X

Postby HitRed on Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:47 pm

Miacomet and Old Man Shoal one way attack whales. If the latter.
Major HitRed

Postby Minister X on Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:00 pm

I don't know. The idea is to draw players to the whales. If they think that piling up troops there (to resist bombardment attacks from the Pequod) would be a waste of good troops, they might wait until the very end before attacking the whales. But if whales can attack back toward sea terts - if they can reinforce backward - players might be more willing to go for them sooner.
Major Minister X

Postby HitRed on Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:07 pm

Minister X wrote:I don't know. The idea is to draw players to the whales. If they think that piling up troops there (to resist bombardment attacks from the Pequod) would be a waste of good troops, they might wait until the very end before attacking the whales. But if whales can attack back toward sea terts - if they can reinforce backward - players might be more willing to go for them sooner.

I agree they should move both ways. I said If the latter...

Likely a player will play cards and take a trip around the ocean, get the whales and head back to land. Once around the planet. Just like an actual voyage. :)
Major HitRed

Postby Minister X on Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:44 pm

Sorry if I misunderstood you. And hey... good idea... we ought to award a special bonus if you can circumnavigate the island in one turn, conquering each sea tert along the way! A bonus of 100. (Just kidding.)
Major Minister X

Postby Fuchsia tude on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:23 pm

The images are all gone.
Brigadier Fuchsia tude

Postby Minister X on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:01 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been using a free image hosting service called techpowerup.org. Their website is not responding. I'll wait a day or so to see if this is just temporary or if they've shuffled off this mortal coil. If they're dead I'll repost everything via a more reliable service.
Major Minister X

Postby BabySasuke on Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:39 pm

trench on whales is still wild to me
Captain BabySasuke

Previous

Return to Map Foundry