Conquer Club

#GCCM The make a map time is upon us.

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: #GCCM [Week 6 - Bonuses] [Competition Post 2]

Postby betiko on Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:What are conditional borders?

Conditional borders are a way when you cannot attack a region without holding another first.

Labs has it. You cannot attack a slave entrance without holding the god in the centre. Escape has them. To attack through a door, you need to hold the key for that door.

Okay, cheers. I voted for win condition and auto-deploy anyhow. :)

Cbs are very new and not many people have played them. I added them to the poll or nobodies would of killed me. They where his baby and really pushed for them.

when is labyrinth back live by the way? want to crossmap it!!! didn't know what conditional borders where, guess i will revote adding them then.
Major betiko

Postby mint-murray on Mon May 13, 2013 1:30 pm

One of the few who loved labyrinth and waiting for escape - so conditional borders are to my liking. Changing vote to include
Major mint-murray

Postby jonofperu on Mon May 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Winning Condition and Conditional Borders - because both add variety! Having a winning condition might just keep more games alive longer by giving people one more way to win even if they start to fall behind.
Conditional Borders would really fit fantasy if you have to hold X to attack Y (i.e. if you hold a dragon you can attack the cliffs)
Actually I like the CB idea anyway. That would be really cool on a battlefield map where having a spotter would enable artillery to bombard a particular spot (if only I had more time to make maps...).
Colonel jonofperu

Postby ender516 on Mon May 13, 2013 7:53 pm

That artillery spotter idea is golden.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby koontz1973 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Out of all the polls, this one is the hardest to do. So many great options to have. Good thing the top three go through with a map makers choice for a forth.
ender516 wrote:That artillery spotter idea is golden.

It really is.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thehippo8 on Tue May 14, 2013 3:01 am

We only get two choice. My first choice is all of them. My second choice is that everyone agrees with me :lol:

But since I can only chose two I chose: Winning condition AND losing condition. A knife edged game where you have to be both defensive and offensive at the same time!
ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby pamoa on Tue May 14, 2013 6:06 am

bombardment WITH conditional border
you need some resources stone(catapults), powder(guns), mana(magicians) to be able to bombard ^^
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Re: Clan Week. scavenger hunt over. We have a winner.

Postby SirSebstar on Tue May 14, 2013 6:22 am

very cool sig
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby ender516 on Tue May 14, 2013 12:36 pm

thehippo8 wrote:We only get two choice. My first choice is all of them. My second choice is that everyone agrees with me :lol:

But since I can only chose two I chose: Winning condition AND losing condition. A knife edged game where you have to be both defensive and offensive at the same time!

We are of one mind here.

Postby CJ Lues on Tue May 14, 2013 2:18 pm

For this week's competition, can some of the pieces be from Abandon maps?
Sergeant CJ Lues

Location: I love a good plan, and i just love it when a plan comes together!

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 14, 2013 10:54 pm

CJ Lues wrote:For this week's competition, can some of the pieces be from Abandon maps?

Yes, I deliberately put the recycle bin into the wording.

The first correct answer came in.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Dukasaur on Wed May 15, 2013 2:54 pm

I voted autodeploys and conditional borders.

Now, to all those people voting for winning conditions: keep in mind that maps with winning conditions are big favourites for farmers. I would rather not see our labours reward the next superfarmer to become Conqueror.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby isaiah40 on Wed May 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Now, to all those people voting for winning conditions: keep in mind that maps with winning conditions are big favourites for farmers. I would rather not see our labours reward the next superfarmer to become Conqueror.

True dat!! Which is why I voted for Long ranged attacks and Conditional Borders. Think of a dragon flying to reduce its enemies to ashes. Conditional borders will work great with Continental Keys.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby mint-murray on Wed May 15, 2013 6:02 pm

C'mon guys auto-deploys are boring, conditional borders will give more unique gameplay. If you don't like the idea of conditional borders - trying taking a s**t without taking your pants down first.
Major mint-murray

Postby ender516 on Wed May 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Dukasaur wrote:I voted autodeploys and conditional borders.

Now, to all those people voting for winning conditions: keep in mind that maps with winning conditions are big favourites for farmers. I would rather not see our labours reward the next superfarmer to become Conqueror.

I think if the winning condition is clearly described on the map and not too easy to achieve, farming will not be a big problem. Also, the map coming out of this exercise should be unavailable to new recruits,inmy opinion. If it is safe for them, then we have failed to achieve the heights to which we strive here.

Postby koontz1973 on Wed May 15, 2013 11:09 pm

ender516 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:I voted autodeploys and conditional borders.

I think if the winning condition is clearly described on the map and not too easy to achieve, farming will not be a big problem. Also, the map coming out of this exercise should be unavailable to new recruits,inmy opinion. If it is safe for them, then we have failed to achieve the heights to which we strive here.

This map will be watched really closely in development. It will not be used for farming.
mint-murray wrote:C'mon guys auto-deploys are boring, conditional borders will give more unique gameplay. If you don't like the idea of conditional borders - trying taking a s**t without taking your pants down first.

Not to worry about the autos and conditional borders.

You can vote for two but three go on + the map maker can choose one. So we can get
    Auto Deploys (current leader)
    Winning Condition (current leader)
    Bombardments (current leader)
      and
        conditional borders
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: Clan Week. scavenger hunt over. We have a winner.

Postby Leehar on Fri May 17, 2013 7:34 am

Moved to Foundry Discussions per OP request
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby koontz1973 on Fri May 17, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks Leehar. Merged with the main thread now.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dakky21 on Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 pm

mint-murray wrote:C'mon guys auto-deploys are boring, conditional borders will give more unique gameplay. If you don't like the idea of conditional borders - trying taking a s**t without taking your pants down first.

Don't you get it - this one is hit ' n ' run, not a lot of posts in here, execept those "I chose xxxxxxxx because yyyyyy"

I agree with you, conditional borders are cool, but no one will change their vote ..... because they don't see what you wrote :(
Captain dakky21

Postby koontz1973 on Fri May 17, 2013 10:35 pm

dakky21 wrote:

Don't you get it - this one is hit ' n ' run, not a lot of posts in here, execept those "I chose xxxxxxxx because yyyyyy"

I agree with you, conditional borders are cool, but no one will change their vote ..... because they don't see what you wrote :(

But you all have friend lists in your PMs, if you have a choice that is not winning, send out a PM or two and get people here. This is what I have said since the beginning, apart from the poll when we had the banner, any poll could of been influenced by any one player if they had done a little work.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sat May 18, 2013 3:10 am

Tournament 4 has now finished. Winner of that one is wauuw. =D>
Tournament 7 in in its final now.
Tournament 9 still needs some players.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby koontz1973 on Sat May 18, 2013 10:56 am

Time to announce the winners of this one.

The winner of #GCCM Graphics competition 2 is...

RjBeals with this entry. He has chosen to have his name on the map and will be in the competition posted on Monday.

Second place goes to CJ Lues who only lost by 4 points.

Third goes to dakky21 for this concreted effort.

Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby RjBeals on Sat May 18, 2013 11:11 am

Sweet - wish more people would have participated, it's a good way to improve skills. Nice wooden fence from CJ - probably a little more realistic to the map, rather than a stone/cement wall. Thanks judges.

RjBeals wrote:For the "bunker" I redrew your borders and added new fonts. Since I didn't have your original file with the military soldier icons, I just added "green army men" as stand-in's, but I actually like how they look in all black. Put the flag in there also, as the comp was just focused on borders.

Walls were done in Illustrator, placed into Photoshop to add color & texture & some slight shading.
Private RjBeals

Re: Something's Coming. Only one more day. Exciting stuff th

Postby koontz1973 on Sat May 18, 2013 11:52 am

.................................................Last One

Here are the maps, graphics produced by CJ. Thanks for that, makes my life a lot easier. :D

Winners.
mint-murray 1st person to answer.
CJ Lues
Betiko
dakky21 Last person to answer.

Iron Maid only got 12. :? Apparently, this one was super hard. Well, now that you all know where we are, keep coming back as these will now be monthly.
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions