Conquer Club

The Discworld Map..

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

I...

Total votes : 0

Re: The Discworld Map..

Postby Leehar on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:09 am

revamp over new maps? :)
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Armandolas on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:28 am

IcePack wrote:Lets revamp the site to not look 1996, then we can look at the maps.

This

About topic. I agree with somepeople. There are other "gaphically unplayable maps" that would need a revamp first
(the previous version with the giant turtle is beautifull)
Colonel Armandolas

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:59 pm

If this map is to be revamped then it should be done in an appropriate cartoon/fantasy/surrealism style that befits the Discworld Series.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:20 am

Just to clarify: The site and the CAs are not pushing for this revamp in any particular way. We agreed that we have some maps that can be revamped as well.
We're not here to make a list or a sort of "rank" of the maps we can revamp. We are here because we think that the map could be revamped if there's desire from the community.
ManB has approached me with this idea and the first thing I've said him was: "sure, if the community wants it."
So, everyone here can make a list of maps to revamp or not, this because as others have said, it's a very subjective thing. But here we want to discuss only if we want to try to develope a revamp of THIS map.
Now, it seems to me that 78% could be considered a sort of "yes, go with it"...no?

ManB, apart what you said to me via PM, what's your thoughts? Do you want to collect more feedback before to go?

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby greenoaks on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:05 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:I voted yes. From an administrative standpoint, holding work for the sake of work is backwards thinking. If we can assert ourselves to aim to provide our users with a more top-notch experience in every aspect of the site (yes, yes, things haven't been perfect, I know), then I believe that we certainly should! The perfect solution would be ender's skins idea, but that is something that would take quite a bit of time to setup and complete.

BMO

would you be interested in a skins system for the entire site? there was a Dark Conquer Club addon that did that a few years ago.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:48 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Now, it seems to me that 78% could be considered a sort of "yes, go with it"...no?

Only if it was done right ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Okay, so...

Reading through this thread, there's a distinction I should have made when creating the poll:

*Develop the image I posted in the OP.
*Update the existing map, but not like the OP.
*Don't do it.

Nevertheless, the 79% support is reassuring.

My ideal course of action now is to demonstrate an update like that which was made to the Asia map.

This should assure the nostalgia, pay proper homage to the Jota image, and hopefully give the map a cleaner appearance. The word 'refreshing' would be my campaign buzzword if I had one.

I'll do my best to draw in a space turtle too.

I'll come back soon with a new image for some feedback.

Thanks all for contributing your opinions.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:28 am

Lets see where you go with this :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby ManBungalow on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Some ideas...

Obviously not finished, but I re-interpreted the borders here:
Click image to enlarge.

Original map for comparison: http://maps.conquerclub.com/Discworld.L.jpg

I'd appreciate feedback on that image before I go any further (or not), because now is the best time to hear "borders too crisp" or "add more stuff at X"...

And for your enjoyment, here's my first attempt at drawing a turtle in the simplistic style of the rest of the map (it's not as easy as it looks, kids):
show
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Aleena on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Your suggestion with the witch - is cute....

But actually I sort of love the idea of making it look more real-life
In the original design I love:
the Sun, and solar glare
the shimmering waters
and the wavy ozone in the south...

Not sure if it is possible or likely, but I'd suggest to try to make it look like a real world seen from space instead of a cartoonish feel... But that's just my opinion.... And I'm a noob....
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby Gilligan on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:21 pm

That turtle is my new best friend.
Major Gilligan

Postby ManBungalow on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Gilligan wrote:That turtle is my new best friend.

You'll like his/her* slightly more detailed friend:

Click image to enlarge.

*gender actually unknown

Even so, I'm not sure that's the way to go with adding a turtle to this map. It doesn't look like something I'd expect on a CC map. But I want to keep it as simple and clear as the rest of the image.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:18 am

Found this thread through nobodies' signature. As someone who has played a whole three games on Discworld, I fully approve.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby macbone on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:05 pm

ManB, the first map you posted in this thread is beautiful. Man. I'd love to play on a luscious map like that.

I love the Discworld series and Sir Terry, but our map is a bit dated. A Discworld II would be fantastic, though. (There's actually a GURPS Discworld and a GURPS Discworld II, so there's precedence. (= ) If Pratchett agreed to the first one, perhaps he'd agree to a new one as well?

I like the turtle in your new one, man, but it may be too similar to the original map. Apparently one of the things that Jota was asked to take away was the turtle on his original.

Here's the map the CC map was based on:

Click image to enlarge.

I dunno, though. Your turtle is significantly different from the original, so it might fly. Or swim, rather.
Colonel macbone

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon May 05, 2014 2:44 pm

I agree with Macbone. The first map you posted is really well done. I would support that map just as it is. I do like the second as well though. Someone mentioned cartoony style of Discworld? I've also read some of these books. The Colour of Magic was even made into a film for Sky One... and I thought they captured it quite well. (nothing cartoony about it). Each person here will have a different idea of what the world looks like in their mind. I thought how ManB imagined it first time was beautiful and deviated enough from the original map to allow it to be used here. With a few minor lighting adjustments, that map would be perfect for gameplay.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby owenshooter on Fri May 09, 2014 11:51 am

pretty damn sexy...-el Jesus negro

macbone wrote:ManB, the first map you posted in this thread is beautiful. Man. I'd love to play on a luscious map like that.

Click image to enlarge.

Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Donelladan on Fri May 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Honestly, can anyone really compare this:

Click image to enlarge.

to this:

and not think that the first looks better? Not perfect, but compare them and look. Don't be complacent, demand that maps are as beautiful as Tisha (and her maps).

I prefer the 2nd. I like map that look really simple.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby psxws on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:43 am

I think it definitely could use a revamp, simple or realistic. I think the turtle should stay, it's the most definitive element of discworld. I might be mistaken, but I think the reason the original turtle was removed was because it used the actual graphics of the reference map, perhaps with original graphics it'd be fine. This is an obvious reference to his work, but Pratchett himself states that the world in the back of a turtle is an old myth.

With no offense to ManBungalow (I think your work's looking pretty good so far), but if we do revamp, I'd like to see a competition thread to make sure we get the best result (also, it'd be cool to see the alternatives people come up with). Revamp should be graphics only.

edit: something like these would also be fantastic

Private 1st Class psxws

Postby Armandolas on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:30 am

MrBenn wrote:If this map is to be revamped then it should be done in an appropriate cartoon/fantasy/surrealism style that befits the Discworld Series.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby Shannon Apple on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:25 am

I don't know if I agree with "cartoony." A book's illustrators can change and the next guy may have a completely different vision. Like, the discworld movies had a different take on it. I think it's all down to how the artist sees the world in his head. Like for instance
Image from the movie adaption.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby macbone on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:21 am

Man, that Vvardenfell map is awesome! I actually had it up on my wall at one point, and I'd think, where do I want to explore today?, and go there. I don't recognize the other map, though, but it looks great, too.
Colonel macbone

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions