Conquer Club

Major League Noob Question

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Major League Noob Question

Postby Xatrius on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:05 am

Hi guys, fairly new to the site, really love it. What kinds of programs do you guys use to create these awesome maps? I'd like do create one for Boston, but I don't know how to get started.

(looking for some advice and a few pointers)

Cheers
Cadet Xatrius

Re: Major League Noob Question

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:59 am

[MOVED]

Hello - Welcome to CC and the Foundry ;-)

You should find some useful information about the map development in the [Official] Conquer Club Mapmaker Handbook
If you still have questions after browsing that guide, feel free to contact me or any of the other cartographers via PM or ask any specific questions in the Foundry Discussions subforum - you should find people eager to help and give any advice in there.

Cheers,

isaiah40
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Gilligan on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:05 am

Xatrius wrote:Hi guys, fairly new to the site, really love it. What kinds of programs do you guys use to create these awesome maps? I'd like do create one for Boston, but I don't know how to get started.

Cheers

Yes, Boston, please!!
Major Gilligan

Postby Seamus76 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:19 am

Xatrius wrote:Hi guys, fairly new to the site, really love it. What kinds of programs do you guys use to create these awesome maps? I'd like do create one for Boston, but I don't know how to get started.

Cheers

Welcome! I use GIMP, as do others, which is a free program and very powerful. There are a ton of tutorials and if you need help just post in your thread. You can also feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help out.

What sort of theme were you looking at? I'm a big fan of antique maps and had been looking at these as starting places. Whatever you decide just have fun, and don't let the hard work bring you down. It's a long process, but nothing compares to playing games on your finished map.

show
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby Gilligan on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:47 am

Ma, I can see my house from here!!
Major Gilligan

Return to Foundry Discussions