Conquer Club

Hosting site for text files

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Hosting site for text files

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Does anyone know of a hosting site that is free for hosting the xml files ...in their text format?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Hosting site for text files

Postby Aleena on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:18 pm

For how long?

And how much?

I can place it on my server for free if you can not find anything else...
But I do not want to open the door to everyone and everything...
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Aleena wrote:For how long?

And how much?

I can place it on my server for free if you can not find anything else...
But I do not want to open the door to everyone and everything...

Aleena. thanks for your offer, but i need access to it when i want to do xml with the tests etc and for centering, and for me that involves a lot of toing and froing with the files.
I really a simple hosting site that i can upload to quite frequently when i do it. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Can you not simply attach versions to posts in the Foundry?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:10 pm

ender516 wrote:Can you not simply attach versions to posts in the Foundry?

Yes ender516...i've learned that does work. thanks for suggestion. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:20 pm

cairnswk wrote:

Glad to hear it works. I was afraid it might not work in all parts of the Foundry. I think Andy added attachments, but only for Beta Maps or those at the XML stamp stage.

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:43 pm

ender516 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Glad to hear it works. I was afraid it might not work in all parts of the Foundry. I think Andy added attachments, but only for Beta Maps or those at the XML stamp stage.

I think you are correct...i was wanting it for Ethiopia...but i was able to do it from the foundry as that map is in XML stage.
I think we should get the xml facility on all stamping stages.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gilligan on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:08 pm

As ender said, attachments are most efficient! :mrgreen: :idea: :ugeek:
Major Gilligan

Postby ender516 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:25 pm

I suppose that something like Google Docs might be an alternative, no? Is it not possible to create a document that others can read but not write?

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:36 pm

ender516 wrote:I suppose that something like Google Docs might be an alternative, no? Is it not possible to create a document that others can read but not write?

Yeah, I find Google Docs works quite well. The "document" option is pretty much the same as WordPad. And yes, you have several privacy options, from completely private to completely public, including allowing people with the link to read but not write.

Gilligan wrote:As ender said, attachments are most efficient! :mrgreen: :idea: :ugeek:

I would be very cautious about that one. I once discovered that attachments are enabled in the Ongoing Tournaments forum, and I started uploading my scoreboards for the Ten Cities tournament as attachments. Well, guess what? Attachments are not enabled in the Completed Tournaments forum, so when the tournament ended the scoreboards were wiped out.

Here in the foundry it seems threads are constantly being shuffled around. Having a thread moved once, even accidentally, to a forum where attachments are not enabled would probably lose them. Not sure if that would be a reversible change, but personally I would be velly, velly careful in proceeding.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Gilligan on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
ender516 wrote:I suppose that something like Google Docs might be an alternative, no? Is it not possible to create a document that others can read but not write?

Yeah, I find Google Docs works quite well. The "document" option is pretty much the same as WordPad. And yes, you have several privacy options, from completely private to completely public, including allowing people with the link to read but not write.

Gilligan wrote:As ender said, attachments are most efficient! :mrgreen: :idea: :ugeek:

I would be very cautious about that one. I once discovered that attachments are enabled in the Ongoing Tournaments forum, and I started uploading my scoreboards for the Ten Cities tournament as attachments. Well, guess what? Attachments are not enabled in the Completed Tournaments forum, so when the tournament ended the scoreboards were wiped out.

Here in the foundry it seems threads are constantly being shuffled around. Having a thread moved once, even accidentally, to a forum where attachments are not enabled would probably lose them. Not sure if that would be a reversible change, but personally I would be velly, velly careful in proceeding.

As far as I know, attachments are enabled in every subforum of the foundry.
Major Gilligan

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Gilligan wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

As far as I know, attachments are enabled in every subforum of the foundry.

Attachments are only enabled in the Main Foundry and Beta Maps forum, which is where you would need to upload your XML file.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby ender516 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:49 pm

So if you put your map on vacation and it moves to Recycling, will attachments be lost?

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:59 am

ender516 wrote:So if you put your map on vacation and it moves to Recycling, will attachments be lost?

They shouldn't as they are attached to the thread. You can't attach a file while you're in the Drafting Room/Melting Pot & Ideas
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:28 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
ender516 wrote:So if you put your map on vacation and it moves to Recycling, will attachments be lost?

They shouldn't as they are attached to the thread. You can't attach a file while you're in the Drafting Room/Melting Pot & Ideas

Melting Pot and Ideas i can understand.
However, if this were available in drafts, it would give the mapmapker preliminary capability to get the xml started, as i do with most maps, to determine the number of territories (without having to count them manually) from the territoriy count on XML wizard, and also to then use this prelim xml with the xml tool to see if any territories were too close re the 888 test.
Private cairnswk

Return to Foundry Discussions