Conquer Club

Dynamic shapeshifting maps

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Dynamic shapeshifting maps

Postby DiM on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:53 pm

bigWham wrote:
DiM wrote:ok for testing purposes here's the large and small island of doom with a volcano eruption bigger lava flow and more steam

as for the transformations i have a tron-like map in the (very) early stages of development that uses them extensively. a map that when it's done could potentially be transformed to a dynamic map too.

Ok, this was a little harder than I had expected, but I got something done. On Beta if you play Island Of Doom, the map changes on Round 4. Best way to see it is play a bot and watch carefully as it goes from Round 3 to 4. Looks pretty cool if you are watching it... but probably would not be noticed otherwise.... but this is just a proof of concept, so we can start strutting down this path together. The rules currently support changing the map image any number of times based on the round.

it works like a charm and sure, the change is not spectacular cause it's not a huge graphical thing (like the bomber) but it's there and it's proof this thing works.

great job.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby kizkiz on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:13 am

Ok, so you could theoretically change the look of the map each turn by overlaying a different picture, but you cannot change the designation of the territory,
Ie: it cannot change from a normal to a decay to a bombard etc?
Major kizkiz

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:28 am

So i also dont know sh#¤t about coding:) but i was thinking could u do a map of say a space station... were first see the entire station and color for each players then u can click on say enginge room it zooms up as a map u do your moves, click it it zooms back u check colors and click say bridge it zooms up and so on IF it were possible u could create really large maps that interacts with each other:)

hope u get what i mean here
Major Lord Arioch

Postby bigWham on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:24 am

kizkiz wrote:Ok, so you could theoretically change the look of the map each turn by overlaying a different picture, but you cannot change the designation of the territory,
Ie: it cannot change from a normal to a decay to a bombard etc?

Transformations can handle a lot of things, by changing armies that are on the map.... but they cannot change the rules of the map. that is for future development.
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby bigWham on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:27 am

Lord Arioch wrote:So i also dont know sh#¤t about coding:) but i was thinking could u do a map of say a space station... were first see the entire station and color for each players then u can click on say enginge room it zooms up as a map u do your moves, click it it zooms back u check colors and click say bridge it zooms up and so on IF it were possible u could create really large maps that interacts with each other:)

hope u get what i mean here

yep, this type of idea is where we want to go. we are not there yet, but together we can get there!
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby MoB Deadly on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:47 am

I just caught up on this thread. This is so fucking cool.

This would really REALLY set CC apart from other sites.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby kizkiz on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:51 am

3d maps that you can zoom in and out of.
Something to look forward to :D
Major kizkiz

Postby DiM on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:59 am

kizkiz wrote:3d maps that you can zoom in and out of.
Something to look forward to :D

say no more. i've been trying to do that since 2007.

check out my 3d map project
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:02 pm

Sweet i got map ideas ... and time to research ... but sadly i lack coding competence:( but im happy to crack ideas which im really good at:)
Major Lord Arioch

Postby MrBenn on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:39 pm

If this could be done to take into account conditional borders, that would be pretty awesome (although note previous concerns about fog... although surely a 'foggy' version of an image could be produced?)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Lord Arioch on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:58 am

Back in the good ol days... i played a game called powermonger (i think) on atari ... :) it was a strategy game in 3d, u had a landscape u could rotate to see enemies and stuff from different angles which were important when trying to project a trajectory for a cannon:) anyway if they could do that in like -89 we ought to be able to do REALLY cool stuff today?
Major Lord Arioch

Postby bigWham on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Hold on to your pantaloons folks, or in DiM's case shortaloons, I bring you...

Islands of Doom

Yeah, that is correct - a new map I created called "Islands of Doom"... it is similar to "Island of Doom" in most ways, with the exception that there are actually 2 islands.

Play this map on Beta, it is in Test mode, so scroll to the bottom of the map list. In-game you will see at the bottom of your map you get 2 links, "Island 1" and "Island 2", that allow you to flip between the Islands of Doom.

Island 1 is the regular island, Island 2 uses the exploding volcano graphic. Island 2 has only 1 terit, "Faistu2", which is connected to "Faistu" on Island 1.

Obviously this is just for demonstration purposes. The same logic put in place could handle a completely different visual island full of entirely different terits. You just have to define the connections between the terits in the XML in the normal way. I will share the XML required to do this soon, meanwhile check it out!

Note: certain features, like terit mouseovers, do not currently work properly on Island 2.
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby DiM on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:55 pm

wow, nice. just tested it and it works like a charm. switching between maps is easy and it even works to use the clicky maps thing.

aside from adding a lot of depth to the gameplay, this thing can also help reduce the map size by a lot. heck on the second link you could put just the legend (if it's a big one) and simply write on the map something like "look on link 2 for the legend).
also multi-level map ideas (like 3d chess, or a dungeon with several layers).
heck if we can put more than 2 map images then in theory we could make 1 map for each player and then a map where they meet. let's say each player starts with a kingdom (with neutral terits on it) and he battles and developes his bonuses and then he attacks the exit and ends up on a "no man's land" map that's connected to all other kingdoms. such a map would be impossible right now because of the size limits but with this system it would be really easy to create.
Major DiM

Postby bigWham on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:02 pm

DiM wrote:wow, nice. just tested it and it works like a charm. switching between maps is easy and it even works to use the clicky maps thing.

aside from adding a lot of depth to the gameplay, this thing can also help reduce the map size by a lot. heck on the second link you could put just the legend (if it's a big one) and simply write on the map something like "look on link 2 for the legend).
heck if we can put more than 2 map images then in theory we could make 1 map for each player and then a map where they meet. let's say each player starts with a kingdom (with neutral terits on it) and he battles and developes his bonuses and then he attacks the exit and ends up on a "no man's land" map that's connected to all other kingdoms. such a map would be impossible right now because of the size limits but with this system it would be really easy to create.

Let's Doooooooooo-ooh-ooh it!!!

Honestly, can't wait to see what we can come up with.
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby MoB Deadly on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Click to see legends would be really amazing.
Map makers can really spell everything out then and don't have to worry about it taking up precious map space
Especially since we have some really complex maps
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby DiM on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 pm

bigWham wrote:
DiM wrote:wow, nice. just tested it and it works like a charm. switching between maps is easy and it even works to use the clicky maps thing.

i've mentioned before i had started working on a tron-like map. i will try to modify it to accomodate the multi-map thing. i'll keep it simple and make it for 4 players.

i'm kinda swamped at work but i'll try to post something as soon as possible. hopefully by the end of the week.
Major DiM

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:06 am

An idea just occured:) could u instead of spoils have cards that influence the map... like rain everybody move like trench for a round unless u have sun card set to play then u ignore it... or is that just complicated and stupid :( :o :D
Major Lord Arioch

Postby MrBenn on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:53 pm

bigWham wrote:

I'm guessing the application of this functionality you've described would allow for multiple maps to be joined to form a single whole... so the First Nations map could have been formed by overlaying the North and South America First Nations maps (if the dimensions had matched).
This leads me to believe that WM / Jota's Draknor map trilogy could finally be made as originally intended (although maps II and III would need to be completed first!)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby DiM on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:18 pm

mr benn has a good point, do the map images have to be the same size? currently i have different sizes. some are 700*500 and the main one is 800*800. (these are the large versions)
Major DiM

Postby bigWham on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:56 pm

MrBenn wrote:
bigWham wrote:

I'm guessing the application of this functionality you've described would allow for multiple maps to be joined to form a single whole... so the First Nations map could have been formed by overlaying the North and South America First Nations maps (if the dimensions had matched).
This leads me to believe that WM / Jota's Draknor map trilogy could finally be made as originally intended (although maps II and III would need to be completed first!)

Yes this can be used to join maps together.

It is not actually necessary for the dimensions to match as far as the XML is concerned... this may be a concern for user experience however, as moving through maps of different sizes may produce an awkward jilting experience.

what i would tend to do is make all images the dimensions of the largest required, even if you don't need all the space (just fill it in with something nice).
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby bigWham on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:58 pm

DiM wrote:mr benn has a good point, do the map images have to be the same size? currently i have different sizes. some are 700*500 and the main one is 800*800. (these are the large versions)

as above, it is not required but i think it will provide a better user experience if they are the same (800x800). just fill the unneeded space in with something.
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby DiM on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:36 pm

map started here: 01010101
Major DiM

Postby bigWham on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:44 pm

DiM wrote:map started here: 01010101

looks good! i presume the gates connect to the other maps.
Brigadier bigWham
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby DiM on Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:48 pm

the gates open the vr tunnel which leads to the battle arena. in the battle arena you either fight to hold the objective or you go through the enemy vr tunnel and conquer his base.
it will all be more clear once i make the battle arena image.
Major DiM

Postby bigWham on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:17 am

Here is the XML used to create Islands of Doom.

The critical concept is "stages". You define stages, which are separate "screens", and currently have 3 tags: <name>,<id> and <images>.

In this case I have also used our previous innovation in this thread to make the stage change image on round 4, via the <conditions> tag. if <images> are not defined, or conditions are not met, then the default images will be used... in this case the regular island of doom map.... so island 1 did not need an images tag.

<stages>
<stage>
<name>Island 1</name>
<id>1</id>
</stage>
<stage>
<name>Island 2</name>
<id>2</id>
<images>
<image>
<conditions>
<condition>
<type>round</type>
<minvalue>4</minvalue>
</condition>
</conditions>
<type>small</type>
<file>Island_Of_Doom2.S_2.jpg</file>
</image>
<image>
<conditions>
<condition>
<type>round</type>
<minvalue>4</minvalue>
</condition>
</conditions>
<type>large</type>
<file>Island_Of_Doom2.L_2.jpg</file>
</image>
</images>
</stage>
</stages>

The only other thing that is needed is adding a tag to the territory node to place it on the appropriate stage. if it does not have one the engine assumes the territory is on stage 1, so i did not need to edit the rest of the xml... i just created a new territory Faistu2 as below. I did also link Faistu to Faistu2.

<territory>
<name>Faistu2</name>
<stage>2</stage>
<borders>
<border>Faistu</border>
</borders>
<coordinates>
<smallx>96</smallx>
<smally>589</smally>
<largex>121</largex>
<largey>730</largey>
</coordinates>