Conquer Club

Map Development

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map Development

Postby degaston on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:37 am

Armandolas wrote:I have to agree here with Degaston.
But the Draft should be allready a very nice one so when it comes into beta it allready has a high standard

For me commenting on gameplay is really hard without playing it.thats why i only comment when maps are allready in the beta stage
We could even make an eraly beta stage only to play against bots

I also prefer not to comment on gameplay until I'm able to play a map. The new XML features allow for more interesting maps, but make it even more difficult to know how a map will play just by looking at it.

Now that I'm able to play my map, I'm learning a lot of things that I wish I had known earlier. So I have to disagree that a draft should have to meet some standard of graphics quality before testing is allowed to begin. If someone can come up with an idea that might make a fun map, why not let people play it even if the graphics are not the best? Is it somehow worse for a map to fail because of poor graphics than to fail because of poor gameplay? I think that it would be a lot easier to get some help with the graphics at the end, than to try to fix the gameplay at the end, which almost always requires major rework of the graphics anyway.
Last edited by degaston on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier degaston

Re: Map Development

Postby Oneyed on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:55 am

I agreed that map making process must be changed.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Re: Map Development

Postby Armandolas on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:01 pm

I meant to be tested as a beta map(for everyone) not for testing servers.
I believe when a map is made avaliable for "public" it should allready meet high design standards
Colonel Armandolas

Return to Foundry Discussions