Conquer Club

Is the foundry officially dead?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Is the foundry officially dead?

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:59 am

HuSongHua wrote:After a long period of absence I wanted to get involved in map making. Mainly overall concept and graphic design. But stumbling on this thread + seeing that it's almost the only one with recent activity, I wonder if it is worth the effort ???

The days when the foundry was teeming with people helping each other are over, that much is true.

But if you're a self-starter and capable of carrying the project through without much help from anyone else, there is still a crying need for some new maps.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby HuSongHua on Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:32 am

Well, maybe the best way is just ploughing through as much information as possible and start cracking on my own.. who knows who will jump in..
Private HuSongHua

Postby IcePack on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:57 am

If you have an exciting concept, it might be something worth putting the time into and can get shared to the community w outreach
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby HuSongHua on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:32 am

I think I've got some cool ideas.. and I can fairly say the graphic skills.. but the process of map building is still unknown for me or xml and stuff for that matter.
Started reading up on the forum, hope to get back soon with a first proposal
Private HuSongHua

Postby Butters1919 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:12 pm

HuSongHua wrote: I wonder if it is worth the effort ???

I would not put much effort into any foundry project until you get some sort of commitment from either management (red guys) or foundry mods (blue guys). The current foundry mods are not that active and show no real desire to push drafts and beta maps through to completion. They are not even moving clearly dead projects to the waste bin.

I would love to see new maps, but I would like to see the foundry regain some commitment and order from admin and mods first.

For instance, this draft has not seen activity in almost exactly one year. The mods should bin it, or at least reach out to the mapmaker and see if there is interest to restart the project.
Cook Butters1919

Postby owenshooter on Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:40 pm

i predicted this years ago, when the foundry forum was moved ABOVE the GD in an effort to generate more traffic, due to dwindling numbers. the argument was made by a certain admin that the GD got more traffic, due to it's position on the foundry page. he could not understand that the foundry was full of elitist that would run interested new members off, with their shitty attitudes and unwillingness to help people learn. did that change? yeah, but far too little, far too late. there were a lot of good eggs in the foundry, there were just more rotten ones that outnumbered them. the black jesus called it, the black jesus was right. the black jesus is never wrong. the black jesus has spoken...-JĆ©sus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Nucker on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:42 am

When the foundry dies, all else follows in its path. I wonder why the Big Wham gys even bought the site.
Sergeant 1st Class Nucker

Postby owenshooter on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:55 am

Nucker wrote:When the foundry dies, all else follows in its path. I wonder why the Big Wham gys even bought the site.

what are you even going on about? the foundry hasn't be vibrant or active for at least 4 years... there are plenty of maps for the site to survive on... the issue is not having them sorted properly for new users... the last few years, this was a pure MEDAL GRAB section of the site, and the quality took a severe dip... that black jesus has spoken...-Bj
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby jonofperu on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:53 pm

Just discovering this thread...
Shucks, the foundry died? :-s I'm still determined to get a medal for making a map. :lol:
I don't know if there will be any general discussion before decisions are made on the number of maps, etc., but I sure hope so. No idea what the general opinion is, but one of the things that most attracted me to this sight years ago was the number of maps. I don't see how you can have too many maps, as long as there is some quality control. If people don't like getting stuck with certain maps on random, then the issue is we need categories or filters. I think someone mentioned this, but it could be as simple as splitting everything into two categories: basic and advanced or whatever. I suppose you could even make the advanced category a subscription only feature... don't know pros & cons.
But personally I love having tons of maps and would hate to lose any of them. I think the random feature is pretty cool. It's an extra level of expertise to be able to play on any of 200+ maps. At the same time, there's something for everyone, limitless possibilities of game types and map combinations.
I need to figure out whether the ability was ever developed to limit game types for certain maps - that's essential and I'll need to implement it with my map, Ziggurat, for best gameplay.
Colonel jonofperu

Postby DearCyrus on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:37 pm

So after a many year hiatus, which seems to be the way of things, I am very sad to see the state of the foundry. Easily my favorite part of CC... My graphic and coding have improved so much in the meantime, I could easily repolish my old map out of recycling, if there was a community to talk about it with!
Corporal 1st Class DearCyrus

Postby grifftron on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:45 am

DearCyrus wrote:So after a many year hiatus, which seems to be the way of things, I am very sad to see the state of the foundry. Easily my favorite part of CC... My graphic and coding have improved so much in the meantime, I could easily repolish my old map out of recycling, if there was a community to talk about it with!

Maybe it just needs something to talk about... Do it.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby iAmCaffeine on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:40 am

grifftron wrote:
DearCyrus wrote:So after a many year hiatus, which seems to be the way of things, I am very sad to see the state of the foundry. Easily my favorite part of CC... My graphic and coding have improved so much in the meantime, I could easily repolish my old map out of recycling, if there was a community to talk about it with!

Maybe it just needs something to talk about... Do it.

How can he do it when the only cartographers are Ian who doesn't spend long periods of time on this site and wouldn't be able to run the foundry alone anyway, and ManB who's no longer active?

It's a shame that Krazy Kingdoms and Pirates & Merchants bot have potential but will both remain imbalanced and incomplete forever.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby Thorthoth on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Anyone COULD do it. This hypothetical 'anyone' could get answers to any coding questions with online searches.... but it is a lot of work. One has to really enjoy the process, not just the end result.
Of course the interminable committee process probably kills some of the enjoyment. Only the dullest maps are completely 'balanced'. The drop of a game will always matter. So just put out Beta map sooner and let everybody be beta testers. In fact, every time a player finishes a beta game they should be given the option to easily fill out a short survey and comment section. Heck, may we should do that for all maps.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Thorthoth wrote:Anyone COULD do it. This hypothetical 'anyone' could get answers to any coding questions with online searches.... but it is a lot of work. One has to really enjoy the process, not just the end result.
Of course the interminable committee process probably kills some of the enjoyment. Only the dullest maps are completely 'balanced'. The drop of a game will always matter. So just put out Beta map sooner and let everybody be beta testers. In fact, every time a player finishes a beta game they should be given the option to easily fill out a short survey and comment section. Heck, may we should do that for all maps.

One of those rare moments when I agree with you totally. Let me savour this moment, lest it never return...:)
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby ConfederateSS on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:08 pm

------I miss Oneyed...Those elitists Jn(owen) spoke of drove his spirit down... I see his premium but hasn't played since Dec.2015...So he must be on once and awhile... I loved the World War I map he was working on...I think he got tired of putting up with the big shot know it alls...Left map making..."DAMN" :( ...COME BACK Oneyed...THE GREAT WAR NEEDS YOU... :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D
Major ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby iAmCaffeine on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:18 am

ConfederateSS wrote: I see his premium but hasn't played since Dec.2015...So he must be on once and awhile.

More likely he has a recurring subscription and hasn't realised.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Postby 2dimes on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 am

lostatlimbo wrote:I thought things were bad when I was involved here, but its like a wasteland now.

How 'bout now?
Private 1st Class 2dimes

Postby Thorthoth on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:09 am

2dimes wrote:
lostatlimbo wrote:I thought things were bad when I was involved here, but its like a wasteland now.

How 'bout now?

Now it is a Federally protected Wilderness.
Leave no trace.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby degaston on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:40 am

I doubt that anything is going to change without some interest from the top, and it appears that he is content to just let the site die a slow, lingering death. He's made only one post in the forum in the past year an a half.
Brigadier degaston

Postby IcePack on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:44 am

degaston wrote:I doubt that anything is going to change without some interest from the top, and it appears that he is content to just let the site die a slow, lingering death. He's made only one post in the forum in the past year an a half.

He posts more often than that, maybe not in public. He is active with the team via PM and other communication, and still does updates.
Foundry is community driven, and supported by carto's. If the community doesn't drive the area it does down, tho it does need the support of people who are capable. But I don't see wham being the reason the map area is dying, he tried implementing the map maker thing as well to try to drive activity to very little community response
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby degaston on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:56 am

IcePack wrote:...he tried implementing the map maker thing as well to try to drive activity to very little community response

What was the mapmaker thing?
Brigadier degaston

Postby IcePack on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:11 pm

degaston wrote:
IcePack wrote:...he tried implementing the map maker thing as well to try to drive activity to very little community response

What was the mapmaker thing?

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=221233
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby grifftron on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Ye... I believe the community itself is what killed the foundry.

When people lose interest, it gets pretty dry. I don't see how you can blame admin for this. Do you want them to spend time making big, time consuming changes just to see that the community still doesn't give a...

If all of a sudden 100 people start posting in the foundry like crazy, for sure the admin would see that and want to be more involved...

Change starts with YOU my friend.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby IcePack on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:35 pm

grifftron wrote:Ye... I believe the community itself is what killed the foundry.

When people lose interest, it gets pretty dry. I don't see how you can blame admin for this. Do you want them to spend time making big, time consuming changes just to see that the community still doesn't give a...

If all of a sudden 100 people start posting in the foundry like crazy, for sure the admin would see that and want to be more involved...

Change starts with YOU my friend.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Not only that but even when it was active it could have been better but the "regulars" used to jump on / lynch anyone with outside opinions. I used to come to try providing feedback and eventually got the feeling I was wasting my time and wasn't welcome to the group so I stopped trying. Then the "in crowd" left and you got desert town
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby DearCyrus on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Well, we got some people here now... Let's make something happen. I am going to give thought to Transformations as they are yet to be implemented...If you have a thought on the matter, drop me a line...
Corporal 1st Class DearCyrus

PreviousNext

Return to Foundry Discussions