Conquer Club

Busted orlann efrenn [ka]

All previously decided cases. Please check here before opening a new case.

Moderators: Multi Hunters, Cheating/Abuse Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[These cases have been closed. If you would like to appeal the decision of the hunter please open a ticket on the help page and the case will be looked into by a second hunter.]

orlann efrenn [ka]

Postby diewachen on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Accused:

orlann efrenn

The accused are suspected of:

Other: bigoted statements in game chat

Game number(s):

Game 14677970
Game 14636558

Comments: orlann efrenn used the term "puto" against two players, myself included. As was made clear in the public consciousness during the World Cup, this is a term used as a homophobic slur. As a queer man, I was offended by the statement, and asked orlann efrenn to refrain from using such words, due to their homophobic connotations. He replied: "ahahahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha." Unfortunately, his homophobic trolling is currently being defended by another player (threex12).

With minimal investigation, it is clear orlann efrenn has used bigoted language in game chat in the past. In game 14636558, he used the ableist term "mentally retarded" against another player.

At the very least, orlann efrenn needs to be warned against using bigoted language against players. If at all possible, I would appreciate threex12 being warned against defending prejudicial statements. Unfortunately, I have experienced aggressive players on a regular basis recently, and to not only have someone use a homophobic slur against me but to have another player defend it, it makes it difficult to continue having fun in the game. For this reason, I am anticipating I will step away from the conquerclub after this game.
Cadet diewachen

Re: orlann efrenn

Postby Edric Wolfswift on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:29 pm

Seeing that it is a word, that by your own admission in the chat, can have more than one connotation, I think you overreacted. Without any further comment from anyone, you assumed it was homophobic, became defensive, and began attacking other players.

I strongly recommend that you foe the players that used words that bothered you, and then move on. Far worse than that has been said in game chats, and the most you can hope for in this case is a warning.
Last edited by Edric Wolfswift on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private Edric Wolfswift

Postby diewachen on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:17 pm

And a warning was all I requested. I'm not sure what your point is here, Edric. Many words have a variety of meanings. In fact, all words that are harmful and bigoted have alternate meanings. This doesn't change the fact that ill-used words are harmful, and defending the use of harmful words is not only insensitive, but condoning their use as a form of bigotry.

Derogatory words that target oppressed communities are inappropriate. Speaking out against such derogatory words, and those who defend their use, is not an "attack." Further, a culture of abusive language doesn't make the used of such language correct.
Cadet diewachen

Postby Edric Wolfswift on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:38 pm

I was simply voicing an opinion and also letting you know what I think you can expect as a result. If this is his first offense, the best you can hope for is a warning.

I think you are trying to be waaaaay too PC for a game like this. That is why I also recommended that you foe the person and move on to the next.
Last edited by Edric Wolfswift on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private Edric Wolfswift

Postby owenshooter on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:57 pm

sorry... "puto" is not a gay slur... not sure where you live, but i have lived in new mexico, spain, texas (spanish speaking places) and "puto" is not a word that is a gay slur or bigoted... you were basically called a vagina... the "M" word is a gay slur in spanish... they are going to tell you to "foe and suck it up, cupcake." sorry, i'm the first one to jump on the bigotry train, but this just isn't that instance...-el Jesus negro

world cup

my favorite song
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby IcePack on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:58 pm

Just to be clear, they wouldn't automatically get a warning.

If found to be homophobic/bigoted They would receive the next step on their disciplinary ladder, so if they've had past discipline issues they could receive higher than a warning. If it's a first offense they would receive a warning.
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby diewachen on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:45 pm

"A puto (literally 'male prostitute') is also a derogatory word for a homosexual male"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_profanity#Puto

"Puto: spanish word for a male prostitute. sometimes it's offesive for homosexuals."
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=puto

"puto {noun}
puto {m} [pej.] fag {noun} [pej.]
puto {m} [vulg.] (also: gigoló) male prostitute {noun}"
http://en.bab.la/dictionary/spanish-english/puto

"Despite how it sounds, puto does not mean point or punt. In fact, the word is a clear, if somewhat semantically sophisticated, anti-gay slur, which is why its use by Mexican fans has been so controversial during this World Cup."
http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/06/24/puto_world_cup_what_does_mexico_s_anti_gay_world_cup_soccer_chant_really.html

Lived in Houston, San Antonio and Los Angeles. Heard it used in this context several times. Like other offensive words, it means other things as well. As Slate points out, it's semantically sophisticated. Still used to offend. Still pejorative toward homosexuals.
Cadet diewachen

Postby Major.Bossman on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:56 pm

This may be an issue of language dialects. In some contexts one word can have multiple meaning depending on where someone may be. It is possible for a word to have a negative or in this case homophobic context in one area but mean something different in another. The problem may reside in the fluid motion of language. It spreads over a vast area becomes regionalized with distinct dialects forming. Then there is cultural exchange, integration, unity, misunderstanding, etc all in a dynamic system. Further complicating the issue is that language and context continually change. So in light of all of this what is the divide that separates something from being considered verbal abuse or bigotry, what is permissible, and what is prohibited?
Colonel Major.Bossman

Postby ZornSlayer on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:56 pm

-edited-
Lieutenant ZornSlayer

Postby Edric Wolfswift on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:23 pm

Normally I would only comment if I had something to add, but DAMN that was funny =D>
Private Edric Wolfswift

Postby king achilles on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:07 am

After looking into the account, orlann efrenn has been busted with lion80, reygan.
Sergeant 1st Class king achilles
Support Admin
Support Admin

Re: orlann efrenn [ka]

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:09 am

That's one way to solve the problem.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Re: orlann efrenn [ka]

Postby owenshooter on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:31 am

iAmCaffeine wrote:That's one way to solve the problem.

i was thinking the same thing!! ha!! it always amazes me how above the radar a lot of multis tend to fly...
i mean, wouldn't you lay low if you were breaking the first rule of CC?!!! anyway, what an idiot...-el Jesus negro
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby owenshooter on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:33 am

diewachen wrote:*some jibberish*

37 games in 5 years? and now the multis have taken to even posting in C&A... astounding...-el Jesus negro

p.s.-pardon my double post... couldn't resist
Lieutenant owenshooter

Return to Closed C&A Reports