Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Gondwanaland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map border?

Total votes : 0

Re: Gondwanaland [30/10/11] V12 pg10

Postby declan.west on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:11 am

V13
borders
taller
key
Corporal 1st Class declan.west

Re: Gondwanaland [31/10/11] V13 pg11

Postby Flapcake on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi declan
This map is realy starting to looke nice, greate work, I do have a littel comment,
You have to put in the army numbers 2 or 3 figures, to see if they fits, both on small and large. you find a post about it here http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=648&t=151232

This is also regarding to exploitation of space, you area names, you will have to push some of them around to get room for army numbers, the names dont have to stay on a strait line, they can also be in a tilted angle or slanting if you like, if you cant get the text to fit in, make the border line fit to the text.

stay on track, it a awsome map your making ;)

Flap.
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby declan.west on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:08 pm

Flapcake wrote:Hi declan
This map is realy starting to looke nice, greate work, I do have a littel comment,
You have to put in the army numbers 2 or 3 figures, to see if they fits, both on small and large. you find a post about it here http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=648&t=151232

This is also regarding to exploitation of space, you area names, you will have to push some of them around to get room for army numbers, the names dont have to stay on a strait line, they can also be in a tilted angle or slanting if you like, if you cant get the text to fit in, make the border line fit to the text.

stay on track, it a awsome map your making ;)

Flap.

thank you
I have actually tested the numbers on large (page 10) but I will now do it on small, and have a play with titling the area names

Postby The Bison King on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:54 pm

think the rivers could be done in a more attractive style. As is they look very pixely and drawn on.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby declan.west on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:22 am

The Bison King wrote:think the rivers could be done in a more attractive style. As is they look very pixely and drawn on.

ok, ill have a play around with some options
i'm not 100% happy with a couple of the terrain features, i.e. mountains as well.

Postby natty dread on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:48 am

I didn't notice this already has a gp stamp...

Now I'm going to be honest with you: this will probably require a total redraw. It will most likely be easier to do the whole thing again from scratch instead of trying to fix everything that is wrong with the current image... there's just so many elements that require attention. Sorry for being blunt.

Firstly, the land borders (ie. the borders around the land area, between land and sea) need to be done over. They're pixelated, unclean, and they look shoddily done - they don't look like they follow any actual land shape. You're going to have to do them again, with more accuracy. Pay more attention to the line work - try to make the lines smoother, but sharper and more accurate. Look at existing world maps and look at the line work in the land shapes - try to emulate that.

Secondly, the glow on the land area doesn't work, it looks like it doesn't belong on the same "canvas" as the other elements. In fact, this in general is your biggest problem - lack of a consistent style, you don't have a consistent image where the elements work together and look like they belong in the same image... all the icons, mountains, rivers etc. look like a mix-n-match that don't belong together.

Thirdly, the thing I said about the land borders also applies to the territory borders.

Fourth: your font choices aren't very exciting. For territory labels, try a font that looks somewhat handwritten, but nothing too elaborate - it needs to be readable. For the larger texts, look for some fonts with a flintstones/jurassic park like feel. Look at dafont.com for a good selection of fonts.

Oh, and the border doesn't work at all. It looks bland and inconsistent.

Well, that's it for now, hope you get something good out of this. Again, sorry for being blunt, but I believe honest criticism is better than trying to sugarcoat it too much. Keep on working, mapmaking is always a learning process.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:23 am

I'm with natty here, there is just a mismash of styles going on here. semi-photographic dinosaurs? cartoony drawing style? esh... You've got some decent elements here, just draw them ALL in the same manor and you should be well on you way. Definitely get your borders redrawn, and work that theme. The parchmenty old theme actually works here, even if it's been overdone on so many other maps, but you could likely do better. Personally, considering the age here, I'd go with stone, chisel this sucker in stone and you'll get plenty of attention. :3
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby natty dread on Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:47 am

RedBaron0 wrote: Personally, considering the age here, I'd go with stone, chisel this sucker in stone and you'll get plenty of attention.

agree
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby ender516 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Yes, stone could work. You could use pink granite, grey basalt, and so forth to colour the zones.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby declan.west on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:27 pm

natty_dread wrote:I didn't notice this already has a gp stamp...

Now I'm going to be honest with you: this will probably require a total redraw. It will most likely be easier to do the whole thing again from scratch instead of trying to fix everything that is wrong with the current image... there's just so many elements that require attention. Sorry for being blunt.

Firstly, the land borders (ie. the borders around the land area, between land and sea) need to be done over. They're pixelated, unclean, and they look shoddily done - they don't look like they follow any actual land shape. You're going to have to do them again, with more accuracy. Pay more attention to the line work - try to make the lines smoother, but sharper and more accurate. Look at existing world maps and look at the line work in the land shapes - try to emulate that.

Secondly, the glow on the land area doesn't work, it looks like it doesn't belong on the same "canvas" as the other elements. In fact, this in general is your biggest problem - lack of a consistent style, you don't have a consistent image where the elements work together and look like they belong in the same image... all the icons, mountains, rivers etc. look like a mix-n-match that don't belong together.

Thirdly, the thing I said about the land borders also applies to the territory borders.

Fourth: your font choices aren't very exciting. For territory labels, try a font that looks somewhat handwritten, but nothing too elaborate - it needs to be readable. For the larger texts, look for some fonts with a flintstones/jurassic park like feel. Look at dafont.com for a good selection of fonts.

Oh, and the border doesn't work at all. It looks bland and inconsistent.

Well, that's it for now, hope you get something good out of this. Again, sorry for being blunt, but I believe honest criticism is better than trying to sugarcoat it too much. Keep on working, mapmaking is always a learning process.

Thanks thats very helpful, don't worry about being blunt. I can use a lot of that.
Im going away for a few weeks, so expect a new image after i get back
Ill have a look at stone, looks like a lot of work is still left to be done

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:38 pm

Looking forward to this, Declan. Stick with it! :D

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:07 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: [VACATION - valid until June 2012] Gondwanaland

Postby The Bison King on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:45 pm

That's a bummer, I was looking forward to this map.
Sergeant The Bison King

Re: [Abandoned] Gondwanaland

Postby nolefan5311 on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:48 pm

The six months of vacation has expired, for this reason this topic is now labeled as [Abandoned]. If the original mapmaker wants to continue this map project that's fine but an update must provided. From this moment anyone else is free to take this project without the original mapmaker permission, but it has to be started from the scratch.
Captain nolefan5311

Previous

Return to Recycling Box