Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Gondwanaland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map border?

Total votes : 0

Re: Gondwanaland

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:57 pm

declan.west wrote:ok sure, ill leave out the X's, but still would like to include the dinosaurs in somehow.
what is necessary now?

If you wanted to incorporate dinosaurs, you could turn an impassable or two into killer neutral "dinosaur habitations" or what have you. Just a thought.

Always nice to see a map back in action! :)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby firsal901 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Nice map. Graphics are excellent and gameplay seems straightforward.
The "X" idea looks good as well. I'd like to see this soon in the Final Forge.
Cook firsal901

Postby declan.west on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Test for large/small maps
large:

small:

Are they suitable as the two map sizes?
Corporal 1st Class declan.west

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:47 pm

declan.west wrote:ok sure, ill leave out the X's, but still would like to include the dinosaurs in somehow.
what is necessary now?

As Sully said, a couple of killer neutrals as always a nice idea as long as the neutral value is small enough as to stop it becoming a barrier. Also, bung in a few degrading spots around the map to show off high concentrations of predators. You already have you dinos drawn so you could easily have a T-Rex symbol for killer and the flyer for degrades.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby The Bison King on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:30 pm

I think it's pretty assumed that dino's would be everywhere.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:26 am

The Bison King wrote:I think it's pretty assumed that dino's would be everywhere.

Conquer Club needs more dinosaurs. And more cowbell.

It would be neat to at least entertain the idea of including dinosaurs as gameplay features.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby declan.west on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:31 am

koontz1973 wrote:As Sully said, a couple of killer neutrals as always a nice idea as long as the neutral value is small enough as to stop it becoming a barrier. Also, bung in a few degrading spots around the map to show off high concentrations of predators. You already have you dinos drawn so you could easily have a T-Rex symbol for killer and the flyer for degrades.

They seem like some nice ideas, ill make an update that includes them.
Is the aim to make them a feature but not really effect gameplay? It might be annoying having degrading spots without some way of countering them, but would that be adding too much?

cowbell?

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:23 am

declan.west wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:As Sully said, a couple of killer neutrals as always a nice idea as long as the neutral value is small enough as to stop it becoming a barrier. Also, bung in a few degrading spots around the map to show off high concentrations of predators. You already have you dinos drawn so you could easily have a T-Rex symbol for killer and the flyer for degrades.

They seem like some nice ideas, ill make an update that includes them.
Is the aim to make them a feature but not really effect gameplay? It might be annoying having degrading spots without some way of countering them, but would that be adding too much?

cowbell?

Tar pits. :D

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:21 pm

The main idea, I think, is to add some gameplay spice to the map, without making it convoluted/confusing.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby declan.west on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:43 pm

V9, what do you think?
to crowded?

large

small

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:54 pm

I'd ditch the tar pits, I don't think they add much to the gameplay. As for the dinosaurs, I think Scavenger should replace the mountain/rift impassable between Travi-Zimmotogoa-Village of Nok-Triage-Ginerbis, and I think Tyrant should replace the mountain range in the center of South America between Kaiwa-Malichift-Baniwa-Jordan-Iauanaua-Poyanawa. I think it would cause the dinosaurs to be used more often.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby declan.west on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:I'd ditch the tar pits, I don't think they add much to the gameplay. As for the dinosaurs, I think Scavenger should replace the mountain/rift impassable between Travi-Zimmotogoa-Village of Nok-Triage-Ginerbis, and I think Tyrant should replace the mountain range in the center of South America between Kaiwa-Malichift-Baniwa-Jordan-Iauanaua-Poyanawa. I think it would cause the dinosaurs to be used more often.

-Sully

Ah yeah, i see your point, atm the dinos are easily avoided.
Thank you

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:01 pm

Unlike Sully, I would say to keep the tar pits but like Sully, place them more carefully. Right now, as soon as someone has a bonus, no troops will be on them anyway. If you place them on bonus borders (both sides) then they will get into the thinking of players more. Like the small dinos by the way.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby obm311 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:02 pm

the dinosshould be able to be avoided if its reseting to neutral. i dont want to protect more regions then i have to because the dinos are only 2. replace the mountain rege in the middle of africa but not the crack and replace the the mountians in southamerica but not the mountians there that are touching blanco
Private 1st Class obm311

Postby The Bison King on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:48 pm

declan.west wrote:V9, what do you think?
to crowded?

large

small

I like the tar pits, great idea! keep them! the T-Rex's I'm not so sure. Since they don't belong to any bonus, have no strategic worth, and are killer neutrals, no one is ever going to bother capturing those territories. The only way that would work is if they block some path to which there is no alternative or if they act as a risky short cut (see 13 colonies Indian territories). Or just cut them.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Also why is Congo in the very south of Africa???

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:04 am

There are two things to consider when placing the killer neutrals. Will anyone take them (right now no) and what benefit do they give to the map/player.

By placing one into Neige, a player has to go through them to conquer the bonus or go around 2 whole territs to get to the other side.
If you place another onto Bellany islands, you create some danger to that shortcut. By making them a 2 neutral, players will go for them more often but create enough of a blockade to lull players into a false sense of security.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby declan.west on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:22 am

Is there a way of making killer neutrals part of a bonus? I don't see a way of adding them without adding a new territory

Postby declan.west on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:32 am

koontz1973 wrote:Unlike Sully, I would say to keep the tar pits but like Sully, place them more carefully. Right now, as soon as someone has a bonus, no troops will be on them anyway. If you place them on bonus borders (both sides) then they will get into the thinking of players more. Like the small dinos by the way.

i'm not sure if i understand, right now the only tar pit not on a border is Kaiwa.

Postby declan.west on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:54 am

version 10!
ok taking things into account here are a few changes:
    congo and triage swapped so more accurate
    no more spots, cleaner
    T-rex's moved to areas in which they provide shortcuts and where they will be used more
    bridge between Deco and Zulu removed as of placement of scavenger t-rex
    hence south america changed to 5 bonus not 6
    tar pits removed and replaced with:
    original dinosaurs attack countries on both sides of a boarder near them, -1 troop per term. each marked uniquely

large

small

Re: Gondwanaland [29/9/11] V10 pg8

Postby The Bison King on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:11 am

Much better job with the T-Rex's especially Scavenger! Great job. Tyrant might be better in place of Maitiri cause it bridges 3 continents again.

The eggs though???? What? Why did you replace Tar pits with eggs???? I don't like that at all nor does it make much sense. Bring back the pits!

TBK

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:56 am

Sorry, but what do eggs have to do with losing a troop. Will they give us salmonella? :sick: Bring back the pits. Also, lose the X's as they are the same as the eggs. Just add them to the tar pits/eggs.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby declan.west on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:16 pm

sorry i don't think i explained it well, originally there was text at each which said something along the lines of "the pterodactyl is very protective of her eggs and will attack anyone who gets close" and "don't get close to the water, or you might get eaten" but i removed it because it was hard to fit in.
I thought that it worked a lot better with the theme.
oh and there is the dinosaur at the bottom (blue arrows) if u hadn't noticed.
so is the placement fine? ie just change what it looks like?

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Don't overdo it on the decaying regions. First, I'd suggest going back to the tar pits for the sole reason that it's confusing to have more than one icon mean the same thing, especially if they're explained in different sections of the map. Secondly, your decaying regions should not be adjacent to one another. Thirdly, the placement of Scavenger is very nice, but Tyrant definitely needs to be moved to a better spot, as TBK has already mentioned.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby declan.west on Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Don't overdo it on the decaying regions. First, I'd suggest going back to the tar pits for the sole reason that it's confusing to have more than one icon mean the same thing, especially if they're explained in different sections of the map. Secondly, your decaying regions should not be adjacent to one another. Thirdly, the placement of Scavenger is very nice, but Tyrant definitely needs to be moved to a better spot, as TBK has already mentioned.

-Sully

does anyone have a good example of decaying regions? If not il probably just remove them

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box