Conquer Club

[Waiting] - WESTEROS (Game of Thrones)

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Waiting] - WESTEROS (Game of Thrones)

Postby The Bison King on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:58 am

WEll I think that I'll probably have to resort to plan B, and call it Easteros. :?
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:29 pm

The Bison King wrote:WEll I think that I'll probably have to resort to plan B, and call it Easteros. :?

Yep, with the TV show and books doing well, getting the copy right agreement to do this now would be next to impossible. Should be an easy fix over what you have now though.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:32 pm

Wow, that sucks to hear about the copyright issue. This would make a great map.

I had actually never heard of the series before seeing this. Then I saw Season 1 on HBO On Demand, watched that...awesome show! I'm pretty psyched Season 2 comes out April 1st. I'll definitely have to read the books sometime.

I hope you can continue this map, I'd love to play it.
Major tkr4lf

Postby thehippo8 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:43 pm

The Bison King wrote:WEll I think that I'll probably have to resort to plan B, and call it Easteros. :?

We could bring it out every year at the Equinox!!
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:23 pm

Please god I hope this map gets made.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby JAB64 on Wed May 23, 2012 7:46 am

Call it Easteros, call it whatever!

MUST, PLAY, THIS, MAP.
Lieutenant JAB64

Postby thehippo8 on Wed May 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Yeah, lets face it ... time to move on and bring the vibe. Frankly I'm surprised his media company doesn't see the potential in free advertising by allowing this to happen! I'd write to them myself but its not my map. I'd write:

Dear Sir

I understand that you are in charge of marketing the Westeros franchise for George Martin. I am not alone when I say that his work has been nothing short of inspirational. So as to give back something of a tribute, we have created a Westeros map which will form the part of an online web service. The discussion thread is public and you are welcome to go to viewtopic.php?f=242&t=147699 to read it for yourself and view the map. We are sure that it probably palls in comparison to what Mr Martin would himself conceive, but that is the nature of tributes. Indeed, there is a huge following here and we are eager to make this a part of our daily lives. As a bit of free marketing for your franchise it will no doubt come as a welcome feather in your cap. We respect Mr Martin enough not to just create an "idea" map that evokes Westeros, even though that is clearly an option, as we would rather have Mr Martin's endorsement. Accordingly, and out of respect to copyright, we ask that you please give your blessing to this project so we can move forward with it.

Your fan

Or words to that effect.

Postby The Bison King on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:26 pm

thehippo8 wrote:Yeah, lets face it ... time to move on and bring the vibe. Frankly I'm surprised his media company doesn't see the potential in free advertising by allowing this to happen! I'd write to them myself but its not my map. I'd write:

Dear Sir

I understand that you are in charge of marketing the Westeros franchise for George Martin. I am not alone when I say that his work has been nothing short of inspirational. So as to give back something of a tribute, we have created a Westeros map which will form the part of an online web service. The discussion thread is public and you are welcome to go to viewtopic.php?f=242&t=147699 to read it for yourself and view the map. We are sure that it probably palls in comparison to what Mr Martin would himself conceive, but that is the nature of tributes. Indeed, there is a huge following here and we are eager to make this a part of our daily lives. As a bit of free marketing for your franchise it will no doubt come as a welcome feather in your cap. We respect Mr Martin enough not to just create an "idea" map that evokes Westeros, even though that is clearly an option, as we would rather have Mr Martin's endorsement. Accordingly, and out of respect to copyright, we ask that you please give your blessing to this project so we can move forward with it.

Your fan

Or words to that effect.

That's a lot of ass kissing lol
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby tkr4lf on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:11 pm

So are you going to seek permission, tbk?

Or are you going to make an "Easteros" map or whatever?

Or do nothing?

Just wondering...I would enjoy playing on this.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Luminous on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:27 am

I agree with the above comments. I would love to play this map (and possible future ones with essos). If we cant get copyright change the names!
Colonel Luminous

Postby thehippo8 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Frankly, what is the difficulty in seeking permission? Come on Bison - make an effort!
ImageImageImage
show

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:53 am

thehippo8 wrote:Frankly, what is the difficulty in seeking permission? Come on Bison - make an effort!

Permission would never of been given on this one for a couple of reasons but the main one is that it now makes a lot of money for a lot of different companies. If this had been started when it was just a book and only the author needed to give permission, then there would of been a good chance. Now that it is a cash cow for the author, studios and all of the others related to it, it will never be given. If Bison wants to continue with this one, I feel it will have to be as Easteros. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby The Bison King on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:00 am

Well there's another problem now. I could never fit this onto a 600x630. Not even close.
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby thehippo8 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:44 am

Interestingly enough this would be an ideal map for conditional bonuses.
ImageImageImage
show

Postby The Bison King on Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 am

thehippo8 wrote:Interestingly enough this would be an ideal map for conditional bonuses.

Explain.
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby tkr4lf on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:45 pm

The Bison King wrote:Well there's another problem now. I could never fit this onto a 600x630. Not even close.

Yeah, it's pretty lame that there are no more super size maps allowed. A damn shame. This could have been an awesome map.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Conchobar on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:19 am

Colonel Conchobar

Postby Gen. North Starr on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Ahhh shitz. I was looking for a Game of Thrones map and after searching, I found this. I'm assuming this was canned and not going any further?
Cadet Gen. North Starr

Postby thehippo8 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Gen. North Starr wrote:Ahhh shitz. I was looking for a Game of Thrones map and after searching, I found this. I'm assuming this was canned and not going any further?

Seems that the mapmaker has either lost the will or given up. There is no reason for you not to read through this thread, take on board the collective wisdom and do your own map. Obviously not a "Game of Thrones" map but rather a map based on those ideas, with your own imagery, gameplay and concepts. I, for one, want to see someone who knows the lore well to produce a map. You can bet your bottom dollar that it will be popular!
ImageImageImage
show

Postby Zealand on Mon May 05, 2014 1:59 am

Someone needs to breathe life into this.
Major Zealand

Postby Mishalex on Mon May 05, 2014 5:00 am

Can't wait to play it :)

Game 13160196 One of my best victory

"I noob, you noob, he/she noobs, we noob, you noob, they noob" Mishalex - Game 16115315
Sergeant Mishalex

Postby Artano on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm assuming no-one is working on this any longer?

If no-one is gunning for this any more, i'd be willing to take a shot at it. Would be very interested in hearing from whoever was involved and perhaps seeing some preliminary work that was done. We could collaborate, or else i could mention you in credits if the project ever saw completion. Hit me up with a reply!

Cheers
Corporal Artano

Previous

Return to Recycling Box