Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Mississippi Magnolia St

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Mississippi Magnolia State Map - [April 22, '12] - Page

Postby koontz1973 on Fri May 25, 2012 1:36 am

VicFontaine wrote: I lost a lot of drive for this map

I've sent updates to Vaughn and he's working on them, so I'll post when he's finished.

Keep plugging away as this is going to be a great map. :-$ :mrgreen:

And saying that, lets see what Vaughn ha got so far. If it is anything like his earlier drafts, it should be good. :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby VicFontaine on Fri May 25, 2012 12:28 pm

We discussed yesterday a couple of things. We're both highly busy folks, so we'll post an image when it becomes available.
"It is a good day to die."
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby koontz1973 on Sat May 26, 2012 2:24 am

[Moved]

If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;)

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby VicFontaine on Sat May 26, 2012 2:38 pm

koontz1973 wrote:[Moved]

If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;)

koontz

Are you serious? Am I correct to read here that you believe we've given up and have moved the map out of the Foundry? Upon what justification? This is pissing me off, guys. Get things straight: you've already changed the rules on us twice. We're going as fast as we can. The most recent update was only 30 days ago.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Re: Mississippi Magnolia State Map - [May 26, '12] - Page 12

Postby VicFontaine on Sat May 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Case in point. I just got the update in AFTER I already told you we were making the changes.

Map Name: Mississippi Magnolia
Mapmaker(s): Vicfontaine, vaughn03 appearing as The Voice of Reason, aka, the Production Artist.
Number of Territories: 78
Special Features: multi-level bonuses (multiple regions, autodeploys, additional bonuses within regions, etc.), culture-specific to Mississippi
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: There are no unique Deep South (USA) maps and this one provides that as well as detail into some Mississippi history; gameplay is easy but multi-dimensional with bonuses, attacks, defensive positions, etc.

UPDATE AS OF MAY 26, 2012. Please make this supersized. You have no real quality objections not to and had already told us you would. We continue to get complaints about how "crowded" this looks. We've continued to say, "Make it supersize and it won't be crowded." ](*,) ](*,)

800 size:
Click image to enlarge.

1000 size:
Click image to enlarge.

WHAT STILL MUST BE DONE:
1) The possibility of an objective win: I like this. Don't know what it would be, but perhaps holding the Universities or all the Cultural treasures, plus the Capitol of Jackson.

That's it. We've done what has been asked.

(Older Version:)
(update #3)
Click image to enlarge.

(update #3)
Click image to enlarge.

(update #2)
Click image to enlarge.

ORIGINALS (hand-drawn):
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

The territories are created by the infrastructure (Interstates, state highways, and the historic "Natchez Trace" roadway). The map includes unique cultural icons of Mississippi (history, major tourist attractions), and bonuses are plenty and varied and are based on cultural treasures, waterways, ecological regions, and major, medium, and small cities. Attack routes are "whatever is adjacent to" with, again, all roads serving as dividing lines. Attacks are made over impassables through cities. Thus, cities sitting on I-55 connect their adjoining terts.

Universities (Ole Miss, Mississippi State [MSU], University of Southern Mississippi [USM] are accessed via their adjoining cities (so: Oxford gets to Ole Miss, Starkville gets to MSU, and Hattiesburg gets to USM).

Would enjoy some feedback, and would love to see such a versatile map like this join the other terrific CC maps.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p537/vicfontaine1/?action=view&current=MagnoliaMap.jpg
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby koontz1973 on Sat May 26, 2012 10:54 pm

VicFontaine wrote:

koontz

Are you serious? Am I correct to read here that you believe we've given up and have moved the map out of the Foundry? Upon what justification? This is pissing me off, guys. Get things straight: you've already changed the rules on us twice. We're going as fast as we can. The most recent update was only 30 days ago.

I was very serious. To keep the drafting room clear of maps that may not get made, there is one month to get an update made. The last one was on the 22 April. On the 26th of May I moved this after being told that you and the artist where very busy in RL and you where not sure an update was forthcoming any time soon. An update does not need to be any major changes, it can be in fact a very minor change. As you have now made on, back it goes.

[Moved back]

And as for your update, thanks for getting it down to the 840/800 size. This is much better. Stickied for now, will send it up soon.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby VicFontaine on Sat May 26, 2012 11:28 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:

koontz

I was very serious. To keep the drafting room clear of maps that may not get made, there is one month to get an update made. The last one was on the 22 April. On the 26th of May I moved this after being told that you and the artist where very busy in RL and you where not sure an update was forthcoming any time soon. An update does not need to be any major changes, it can be in fact a very minor change. As you have now made on, back it goes.

[Moved back]

And as for your update, thanks for getting it down to the 840/800 size. This is much better. Stickied for now, will send it up soon.

Thanks.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 29, 2012 10:59 pm

Time to boot this one upstairs. Good luck in the main foundry. ;)

koontz.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby VicFontaine on Tue May 29, 2012 11:14 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Time to boot this one upstairs. Good luck in the main foundry. ;)

koontz.

Thanks.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby VicFontaine on Wed May 30, 2012 10:11 pm

So...what now?
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:01 pm

I will run gameplay here in the next couple of days, see if there are any issues with the bonus structure and drop probabilities.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby VicFontaine on Thu May 31, 2012 8:11 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:I will run gameplay here in the next couple of days, see if there are any issues with the bonus structure and drop probabilities.

Just be sure you ask yourself, "Would this make Drew Brees happy?" Just to confirm: I'm now waiting several days, right?
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:22 pm

why is some cities in red while the others are blue.
i can't find the difference in the legend. all i see are medium cities are blue.
which to be clear, mississippi only has medium and small cities. :lol:
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:24 pm

You sound like my roommate, lol.

And yeah, I will get with iancanton and post in the next couple of days any gameplay issues that need to be sorted out before you're given that stamp. Once you receive that stamp, the graphics CA's will post their recommendations, at which point your thread will be moved to Final Forge for the XML to be written and any small kinks to be worked out before going Beta. That's a very brief explanation of the Foundry process.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby VicFontaine on Thu May 31, 2012 8:27 pm

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:why is some cities in red while the others are blue.
i can't find the difference in the legend. all i see are medium cities are blue.

You blind cook. It is in the legend :D
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby koontz1973 on Thu May 31, 2012 9:58 pm

VicFontaine wrote:

Where? All I can see is the blue cities in the legend and the capitols which seem to have a different symbol in the legend from what's on the board.

Here are some things for you to look into.

Increase the size of font in the legend by quite a bit. In some places it is hard to read. Some of the colours also need to be worked on (yellow bonus zone as this is imposable to read)
Have all symbols match (Map to legend)
Your flag is wrong. This is the right one.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby VicFontaine on Thu May 31, 2012 10:32 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
VicFontaine wrote:

Where? All I can see is the blue cities in the legend and the capitols which seem to have a different symbol in the legend from what's on the board.

Here are some things for you to look into.

Increase the size of font in the legend by quite a bit. In some places it is hard to read. Some of the colours also need to be worked on (yellow bonus zone as this is imposable to read)
Have all symbols match (Map to legend)
Your flag is wrong. This is the right one.

Koontz, the flag is correct. It's a picture of a civil war soldier. It's a generic picture we're using as a watermark-backdrop. Remember, this is a map that includes culture and history. I wasn't trying to put the state flag but the state flower (still waiting for Vaughn to drop that in there, but it's entirely irrelevant to the gameplay, so we're going forward).

I don't know where the information went in the legend. At some point, it was in there. Now it isn't. Sorry, Williams, you were right (sort of... ;)).
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:38 pm

But while you are waiting for nole to get back to you, here is the correct flag the troops fought under from this state.
1861 flag, raised when Mississippi left the Union.
If you are going to do a map of Mississippi, then using the correct flag for that state would be good, yes?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby VicFontaine on Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:02 pm

koontz1973 wrote:But while you are waiting for nole to get back to you, here is the correct flag the troops fought under from this state.
1861 flag, raised when Mississippi left the Union.
If you are going to do a map of Mississippi, then using the correct flag for that state would be good, yes?

The history of MS is part of the Confederacyā€”the flag shown as is, and as staying as part of the design. Why do I get the impression you're straining at gnats? I could also put up 100 other things that are so distinctly and uniquely Mississippi ā€” my state ā€” that only people like Williams, who are also from here, would recognize it. That defeats the purpose of having Mississippi history broadly appealing.

Moreover, there is not a single Mississippian I have ever metā€”no car I have ever seenā€”that flies the Sovereign State flag, either flag 1 or 2. We do not, except in sports, consider ourselves as historically sovereign, but as sovereign as a member of the Confederacy. Hence, the flag fits with the theme and the state.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:25 pm

VIc,

I have a couple of suggestions on some changes before I can begin running the bonus spreadsheets because I'm a little confused on what territories are part of what bonuses: cities like Cleveland, Clarksdale, Canton, Yazoo City, Brookhaven...what bonuses are these a part of? They are obviously not medium sized cities or Capitals, but the font on those cities is different than the normal territories. It needs to be clarified a little.

Also, I suggest, for the interstate bonuses, to use the interstate symbol for ALL regions that are included in those bonuses. Take I20 for instance...I'm not sure if VIcksburg, Jackson, and Meridian are all included in that bonus (because I20 runs through all of those cities). Does I55 include Canton, Jackson, Brookhaven, and Hammond, LA? I can't even see the I59 route at all...is this notated anywhere? Honestly, other than the Natchez Trace Pkwy, I would suggest getting rid of the interstate bonuses completely. They aren't specific to Mississippi and I think they just add to the "clutter" and confusion of the bonus system. And Jackson appears to be included in all of them. I'm not saying you HAVE to get rid of them, but as is, it's very confusing.

The Steamboats I think should border the Fishing Boats, instead of just attacking them. This would facilitate movement across the map. Also, the legend uses the word "Steamships". For consistency, this needs to be changed to Steamboats.

The Appalachian Foothills...the only way to attack in and out of this region is Tupelo > Kosciusko? I know it's only a +1, but it's 8 regions. Was this intentional? If you add in the cultural treasure, it becomes a +2. Similarly, if I'm reading the impassables correctly, the only way into Red Clay Hills continent is via Canton, Kosciusko, Jackson, and Meridian? Seems awfully easy to control those bonuses with the chokepoints.

Those are just thoughts I have right now. Let me know how you want to proceed.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby WILLIAMS5232 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:15 pm

nolefan5311 wrote: Honestly, other than the Natchez Trace Pkwy, I would suggest getting rid of the interstate bonuses completely. They aren't specific to Mississippi and I think they just add to the "clutter" and confusion of the bonus system. And Jackson appears to be included in all of them.

i completely agree with this.
i like keeping the natchez trace and removing all other interstate bonuses.
Major WILLIAMS5232

Postby VicFontaine on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:16 pm

WILLIAMS5232 wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote: Honestly, other than the Natchez Trace Pkwy, I would suggest getting rid of the interstate bonuses completely. They aren't specific to Mississippi and I think they just add to the "clutter" and confusion of the bonus system. And Jackson appears to be included in all of them.

i completely agree with this.
i like keeping the natchez trace and removing all other interstate bonuses.

Who asked you. Luzer. ;) lol.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby VicFontaine on Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:30 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:VIc,

I have a couple of suggestions on some changes before I can begin running the bonus spreadsheets because I'm a little confused on what territories are part of what bonuses: cities like Cleveland, Clarksdale, Canton, Yazoo City, Brookhaven...what bonuses are these a part of? They are obviously not medium sized cities or Capitals, but the font on those cities is different than the normal territories. It needs to be clarified a little.

Done

nolefan5311 wrote:Also, I suggest, for the interstate bonuses, to use the interstate symbol for ALL regions that are included in those bonuses. Take I20 for instance...I'm not sure if Vicksburg, Jackson, and Meridian are all included in that bonus (because I20 runs through all of those cities). Does I55 include Canton, Jackson, Brookhaven, and Hammond, LA? I can't even see the I59 route at all...is this notated anywhere? Honestly, other than the Natchez Trace Pkwy, I would suggest getting rid of the interstate bonuses completely. They aren't specific to Mississippi and I think they just add to the "clutter" and confusion of the bonus system. And Jackson appears to be included in all of them. I'm not saying you HAVE to get rid of them, but as is, it's very confusing.

You raise good points. Here's my rejoinder:
1) "Use the interstate symbol for all regions including in the bonus." If we do that, we lose other bonuses that are important for the gameplay I've designed. The interstate symbol, running through the cities, is clear. Perhaps writing in the legend: "Cities are part of an interstate bonus if they intersect an interstate" would make it crystal.
2) "Does I55 include"...if it intersects with 55, it includes it. If it doesn't, it doesn't.
3) "I can't even see the 59 route"...yes, because we're stupid and never included it. :lol: Will be corrected on the next update.
4) "I would suggest getting rid of the interstate bonuses completely"... the interstates really are important to Mississippi. We don't have many paved roads...and only got interstates under the Katrina evacuation plans of 2006. So I'd really like to keep those. I think they'll make gameplay more enjoyable. We can always cut it out later but if we can keep them in for now, it'd be nice to have unless absolutely necessary. Also, regarding the "clutter," that would go away if we would actually be granted the supersized status we originally requested and for which we were originally told, "Yes, if you change X and Y," which we did. Then got reneged on. :evil: Sorry, I can't drop this. When the same complaint of "confusion" and "clutter" pop up, and that's the very reason I asked for supersized for to begin with (1) a worthy map (2) with lots to it, rather than just being dumb and big (3) should be granted supsersized, no?

nolefan5311 wrote:The Steamboats I think should border the Fishing Boats, instead of just attacking them. This would facilitate movement across the map.

"Border"? I don't really know what you mean. If you mean, "Move them to the Gulf" that doesn't work because of...wait for it...small space. (See above under #4.) Only ONE steamboat assaults the fishing boats. When it comes to gameplay, this will make it impossible to hole-up in the Gulf and will mean the Gulf player will have two fronts with which to contend. An easy bonus (the Gulf ships) to get, a hard one to keep. Same thing with the Gulf Coast bonus: easy to get, hard to keep, because it can be bombarded by the Gulf ships. Not to mention: steamboats were used on the river (the power of going against the stream). Moreover, we still have them on the river here for the silly tourists.

nolefan5311 wrote:Also, the legend uses the word "Steamships". For consistency, this needs to be changed to Steamboats.
Yep. I blame George Bush.

nolefan5311 wrote:The Appalachian Foothills...the only way to attack in and out of this region is Tupelo > Kosciusko? I know it's only a +1, but it's 8 regions. Was this intentional?

Wrong, but good eye. Tupelo AND Corinth (the red city), which needs to be moved (just noticed this now) so as to make clear that both Tupelo and Corinth are access points, i.e., there are two spots to defend the Foothills.

nolefan5311 wrote:If you add in the cultural treasure, it becomes a +2.

Sort of correct. It's a +1 for the region of the Foothills. Then it's an auto +1 for Tupelo. Then it's an auto +1 for the CT (cultural treasure). Thus, you have 2 spots to defend, only get a +1, but, if you have the cities and the CT as well (which aren't necessary to collect the foothills bonus), you'd have two spots to defend, get +3 total for controlling those regions, but in games with chained or adjacent reinforcements, you can't just overload the checkpoints like you could in unlimited. Even if you played unlimited, there are two check points and would only get, max, +3 bonus and at least a +3 for tert count. That's not much when you have to split it two ways. It works.

nolefan5311 wrote:Similarly, if I'm reading the impassables correctly, the only way into Red Clay Hills continent is via Canton. Kosciusko, Jackson, and Meridian? Seems awfully easy to control those bonuses with the checkpoints.

You're forgetting Southern Miss: it directly assaults both Ole Miss and MSU. You're also forgetting Memphis, which is not placed correctly (again, George Bush). Memphis needs to be moved south, maybe enlarged a bit, in order to "bleed" into two zones: The Delta and Red Clay Hills. Thus, there are 6 regions a player would have as "chokepoints" to control the bonus firmly. It's only worth +5, with the autodeploys, more. But still, very hard to control.

Thanks for taking a serious look at it and offering real suggestions.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby nolefan5311 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:22 pm

VicFontaine wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:VIc,

Done

Look forward to seeing the update.

VicFontaine wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:Also, I suggest, for the interstate bonuses, to use the interstate symbol for ALL regions that are included in those bonuses. Take I20 for instance...I'm not sure if Vicksburg, Jackson, and Meridian are all included in that bonus (because I20 runs through all of those cities). Does I55 include Canton, Jackson, Brookhaven, and Hammond, LA? I can't even see the I59 route at all...is this notated anywhere? Honestly, other than the Natchez Trace Pkwy, I would suggest getting rid of the interstate bonuses completely. They aren't specific to Mississippi and I think they just add to the "clutter" and confusion of the bonus system. And Jackson appears to be included in all of them. I'm not saying you HAVE to get rid of them, but as is, it's very confusing.

You raise good points. Here's my rejoinder:
1) "Use the interstate symbol for all regions including in the bonus." If we do that, we lose other bonuses that are important for the gameplay I've designed. The interstate symbol, running through the cities, is clear. Perhaps writing in the legend: "Cities are part of an interstate bonus if they intersect an interstate" would make it crystal.

4) "I would suggest getting rid of the interstate bonuses completely"... the interstates really are important to Mississippi. We don't have many paved roads...and only got interstates under the Katrina evacuation plans of 2006. So I'd really like to keep those. I think they'll make gameplay more enjoyable. We can always cut it out later but if we can keep them in for now, it'd be nice to have unless absolutely necessary. Also, regarding the "clutter," that would go away if we would actually be granted the supersized status we originally requested and for which we were originally told, "Yes, if you change X and Y," which we did. Then got reneged on. :evil: Sorry, I can't drop this. When the same complaint of "confusion" and "clutter" pop up, and that's the very reason I asked for supersized for to begin with (1) a worthy map (2) with lots to it, rather than just being dumb and big (3) should be granted supsersized, no?

1) That does clear it up quite a bit.

4) I'm not saying they definitely need to go, but you already have a ton of interesting bonus ideas and special gameplay (CT's, Steamboat bonuses, Universities) specific to Mississippi. I don't think the map is really cluttered as is, or that the interstate bonus makes it cluttered. I was more referring to the bonus system being a little too complex...too much going on. As far as the supersize stamped is concerned, I have no control over that. You will need to run that by the blue names.

VicFontaine wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:The Steamboats I think should border the Fishing Boats, instead of just attacking them. This would facilitate movement across the map.

"Border"? I don't really know what you mean. If you mean, "Move them to the Gulf" that doesn't work because of...wait for it...small space. (See above under #4.) Only ONE steamboat assaults the fishing boats. When it comes to gameplay, this will make it impossible to hole-up in the Gulf and will mean the Gulf player will have two fronts with which to contend. An easy bonus (the Gulf ships) to get, a hard one to keep. Same thing with the Gulf Coast bonus: easy to get, hard to keep, because it can be bombarded by the Gulf ships. Not to mention: steamboats were used on the river (the power of going against the stream). Moreover, we still have them on the river here for the silly tourists.

No, I didn't mean move them to the Gulf. As is, the legend indicates "Steamships assault all fishing boats". I do now see the dotted blue line indicating that only Natchez attacks the steamboats, so the wording in the legend probably needs to be changed. And when I meant "border", I meant make the fishing boats also able to attack the steamboats, instead of a one way attack from Natchez. Just an idea.

VicFontaine wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:The Appalachian Foothills...the only way to attack in and out of this region is Tupelo > Kosciusko? I know it's only a +1, but it's 8 regions. Was this intentional?

Wrong, but good eye. Tupelo AND Corinth (the red city), which needs to be moved (just noticed this now) so as to make clear that both Tupelo and Corinth are access points, i.e., there are two spots to defend the Foothills.

nolefan5311 wrote:If you add in the cultural treasure, it becomes a +2.

VicFontaine wrote:Sort of correct. It's a +1 for the region of the Foothills. Then it's an auto +1 for Tupelo. Then it's an auto +1 for the CT (cultural treasure). Thus, you have 2 spots to defend, only get a +1, but, if you have the cities and the CT as well (which aren't necessary to collect the foothills bonus), you'd have two spots to defend, get +3 total for controlling those regions, but in games with chained or adjacent reinforcements, you can't just overload the checkpoints like you could in unlimited. Even if you played unlimited, there are two check points and would only get, max, +3 bonus and at least a +3 for tert count. That's not much when you have to split it two ways. It works.

Ok, I was confused. I just realized I read the bonuses wrong. I meant Black Prairies, not Appalachian foothills.

And the issue I'm having is that a person can entirely control both a +1 (Appalachian) and +4 (Black Prairies) and another +1 for the CT (legend states each CT gives an additional +1, not an additional +1 autodeploy, for holding the regional bonus, and from what I can tell can CT's can only be attacked by the region it's located in) by holding only Tupelo (or Kosciusko) and Mississippi State. And because only Southern Miss can attack MSU (Ole Miss only bombards) there's only two regions that attack in. This is going to need to be changed to get the stamp.

Running the spreadsheet, it's 8 regions (13 if the cities need to be held to be part of the bonus - Corinth, Tupelo, Starkville, Columbus, Macon) to hold both Appalachian and Black Prairies (+6) with a chance at a +7 with the CT, but only two regions to defend (Tupelo and Mississippi State) and two regions that can attack in (Kosciusko and Southern Miss). It states the bonus value should only be 2.25 (4.08 if its 13 terts to hold and the cities are included). You're going to either need to open up some connections (make all CT's border each other, add some more road connections, remove the black impassable in some places) or reduce the bonus by a large amount (in order to make it work, Black Prairies might need to be lowered to a +1).

VicFontaine wrote:
nolefan5311 wrote:Similarly, if I'm reading the impassables correctly, the only way into Red Clay Hills continent is via Canton. Kosciusko, Jackson, and Meridian? Seems awfully easy to control those bonuses with the checkpoints.

You're forgetting Southern Miss: it directly assaults both Ole Miss and MSU. You're also forgetting Memphis, which is not placed correctly (again, George Bush). Memphis needs to be moved south, maybe enlarged a bit, in order to "bleed" into two zones: The Delta and Red Clay Hills. Thus, there are 6 regions a player would have as "chokepoints" to control the bonus firmly. It's only worth +5, with the autodeploys, more. But still, very hard to control.

Thanks for taking a serious look at it and offering real suggestions.

That's my job :D. Let me know if anything I've said is unclear.
Captain nolefan5311

Postby VicFontaine on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Everything you last posted is 1) clear and 2) helpful 3) even if I still disagree on the bonuses/complexity.

Very helpful. We'll get to it. Thanks, Brees!
Lieutenant VicFontaine

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box