Conquer Club

[Abandoned] War of the Roses

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] War of the Roses

Postby Aleena on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:51 am

Map Name War of The Roses
Mapmaker(s):Aleena
Number of Territories:54

Green Area 6 Cities
Orange Area 7 Cities
Brown Area 6 Cities
Yellow Area 8 Cities
Purple Area 8 Cities
12 Churches
7 Ships
Total 54 areas

Special Features:
....Dual Victory Conditions:
.....................The King must secure 11 city of different shields with out losing London to win.
.....................All other Lords and Lady need to capture London wins and be declared the new king.
.....London can not be attacked unless player controls at least 3 churches
.....All Churches are Decay Neutrals so player needs to capture 3 churches and London before churches become neutral again..
.....Two types of Land Bonuses: (Which is the Parlement in this game)
.....................Common Support - Reverse Bonus based on Qty land held. Less land you have more bonus you get.
.....................Lord Support - Complete color sets of lands will gain players bonus based on mini map.
((This is a game balancer to make it even harder for one player to get so strong that they become invincible))
.....Besides Land Bonus, it also have collection of shield bonuses (Royal Family Support both from York and Lancaster)

What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:
.....Will be one of the first 12 player maps
.....Has dual victory conditions that include 11 players fighting over whom will kill the King (The 12th player)
.....A locked City "London" that can not be accessed unless capturing 3 other areas on the same turn first.
.....The above: will force players to spread out their armies instead of having one mass stack.
.....One reason is because it is a historical battle.
.....Another is because a player does not win on just conquest.
.....With all these features we do not have any other map like this.
.....This is relatively a small map - which will draw the attention of many players.
....But it is also designed to bring some of the biggest and bloodiest battles to the forefront since the average deployment and army size is much greater then most current games.

BONUSES:

(LORD SUPPORT IN PARLEMENT)
Players receive Bonuses for acquiring color groups of areas.
Green Area 6 Lands +4 Deploy
Orange Area 7 Lands +5 Deploy
Brown Area 6 Lands +10 Deploy
Yellow Area 8 Lands +10 Deploy
Purple Area 8 Lands + 8 Deploy
Also +10 for controlling all ships.

(Family Supporters both York and Lancaster)
Players will also receive units based on some shields they control:
QTY Type
1 Four Shields
1 Five Shields
9 Two Shields

Bonus for matching sets only:
(Must have at least two shields of the same design for bonus)
2 Shields of a Set +3
3 Shields of a Set +6
4 Shields of a Set +9
5 Shields of a Set +12

AI locations start with:
Churches 5 units
Ships 10 units
Ports (non-shield) 5 units
Players start with 15 units

Common's Support in Parliament
This is set up to make it harder for players to clear the board by sometimes giving additional aid to those with less lands.
The less land you control the more support you can rally from the Common people, the more land you control the more distant you are to the common folk.

Common's Support in Parliament
Control 1 area +12 Deploy
Control 2 area +11 Deploy
Control 3 area +10 Deploy
Control 4 area +9 Deploy
Control 5 area +8 Deploy
control 6 area +7 Deploy
control 7 area +6 Deploy
Control 8 area +5 Deploy
Control 9 area +4 Deploy
Control 10 area +3 Deploy
Control 11 area +2 Deploy
Control 12 area +1 Deploy
Control 13 plus - no additional deployment

Churches are against this struggle and war - so even though you need 3 churches to win.

If you control London and 3 churches for 1 full turn, then you win and become King.

The point of these is to strengthen weaker players to maintain the struggle for the throne, as well as discourage players from attempting to claim the churches and the throne until they feel secure enough that they could win and hold it for one turn.

Map Image:
Large
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Aleena on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 87 times in total.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Re: War Of The Roses

Postby waauw on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:57 pm

I like the concept and design, however I can't read the citynames, nor are the searoutes that clear and I'm wondering whether the troopnumbers will be visible enough :|
Lieutenant waauw

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:52 am

Hello - Welcome to CC and the Foundry ;-)

You should find some useful information about the map development in the [Official] Conquer Club Mapmaker Handbook
If you still have questions after browsing that guide, feel free to contact me via PM or ask any specific questions in the Foundry Discussions subforum - you should find people eager to help and give any advice in there.

The idea is cool, BUT you cannot take a board-game, make a few changes and call it your own. The board-game is copy written and can not be used. You are free to make a map around the theme and time period, but it must be your own art work. Also you will not be able to name the map the same as the original board-game, you can however, call it The War of the Roses.

isaiah40

As this is under copyright, this map is hereby [Moved] into the Melting Pot/Ideas
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby betiko on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:06 pm

Wow, a new recruit and already proposing maps.. Even if this isn t hers..
Major betiko

Postby danryan on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Looks suspiciously like an old Avalon Hill game. :)
Sergeant 1st Class danryan

Postby Aleena on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:09 pm

Yes, the initial idea and the map was off an old Avolon jill game...

I was using that map as a rough guide line to to build my own map but i was still working on the graphics - but was excited to start sharing the idea...

Attached is my current design on my map - still not 100% complete but is closer - and does focus on cleaning up the clutter from Avolon Hill game - dropping aprox 1/2 the cities for it would not be realistic to manage it in the map size guidelines we have here... I also do not use borderlines like avolon hill - instead a clear path is drawn to the cities I wish to be connected. Even on my map in order to fit the QTY unit circle - I had to play around with thier actual locations - so many cities are not 100% in geographical location based on my mape - but they should be in location that will make game play interesting - and hopefully fun...

I decided to drop all the buildings- they map the map too cluttered... But I did redraw in paint a version of each historical crest and added them to the map and game. I hope you all accept my actual map ....
Last edited by Aleena on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:12 pm

But of course we'll accept your "original" art work!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Aleena on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Updates and modified info from the started release of this thread....

Map Name:Kingmaker War of The Roses
Number of Territories: 66 (dropped from 121 to 66 cities)
Special Features:First Player to capture London wins.
.....London can not be attacked unless player controls at least 4 churches
.....London spawn units on their own space each turn
.....Cities pre-set with different Qty troops at start
.....Family combos produce daily deploy sort of like territory combos.
.....Though all players starting spaces are random each player so each player starts with different Qty troops.
.....London, Casias, and all Churches will all ways start as nuetral areas
.....Capturing London wins the game.

.....So based on the random spaces given to players - not all players will start even
.....This is to illustrate their hierarchy in line for the throne.
.....Also since the winner is not solely based off conquest, even the smallest army can win if skillful
.....I have not played all the map's but for two reasons I feel this map should be made.
.....Another is because a player does not win on just conquest -
.....The winning player is the first player that claims the throne
.....I do not think we have any other map like this.

Starting Player Starts With:
...2 Players start with 19 random areas
...3 Players start with 13 random areas (1 Basic City Added)
...4 Players start with 10 random areas (2 Basic Cities Added)
...5 Players start with 8 random areas (2 Basic Cities Added)
...6 Players start with 7 random areas (4 Basic Cities Added)
...7 Players start with 6 random areas (4 Basic Cities Added)
...8 Players start with 5 random areas (2 Basic Cities Added)

Game has 38 Family Crest "Shield" cities which all start with different Qty troops and are randomly distributed to all players at the start of the game.

There is 12 Churches all start as neutral

There is 14 Basic Cities usually start as neutral - unless needed to balance out even lands to starting players. If so, the Basic cities that will be randomly given to players at start will be:
.....Carisbrooke
.....Penzance
.....Berwick
.....Beaumaris

London and Calais will always start as neutral. Each turn London will spawn 1 additional unit for it's protection.
Last edited by Aleena on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby waauw on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:48 pm

• at the top it says "how is the next king" instead of "who"
  • the "shields on the left", I don't think you neeed to mention how many neutrals each shield has(or do you mean autodeploy?)
  • I'm not sure it's possible with the current xml to have a condition that you can only attack London if you have 4 churches. Haven't seen it on any map anyway. Maybe you could make victory objectives to hold all 4 churches AND london?

for the rest. This looks like a good basic design already :D
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Aleena on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Thank you for your input - I went ahead and fixed that miss-spell....

I I noticed in the Labyrinth map which is in BETA testing right now has this feature:

A slave entrance can only be attacked through the ring of fire in front of it, when Prometheus is held.
Failure to hold a slave entrance results immediate death.

So I wish to use this same method (though I do not know much about XML) But instead of holding Prometheus to allow you to attack slave entrances - I'll have the platers need to hold 4 out of 12 churches in allow them to attack London - If this is not possiable then your other suggestion of having the victory condition be to have London and four churches can work as well. But since London auto spawns units every turn I prefer to make capturing as the last thing a player does and not as a stepping stone.

The shields legend tells the players what each space starts with. These are not neutral - these are the actual troops players may be assigned by random - they are not for deployment - they start on there own spaces. Though every player starts with the same amount of land, not all players will start with the same # of troops - So I places this legend in so that if players wonder why they have less or more troops then another player at start - they can tell based on this legend.

Also since this game is not all about might - it's about capturing and protecting 4 churches then taking over London - so players will be forced to fight multiple fronts and need to focus both on defense of churches as well as offense of making their way to and capturing London. Time is an issue - for each turn London get's stronger - plus - if your just about to win - another player just needs to steal a church and that will force the would be king to have to reroute his troops away from London and back towards another church...

Thank you for all your input - but you did not say if you like the idea or not?
Last edited by Aleena on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby betiko on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:59 pm

waauw wrote:
  • at the top it says "how is the next king" instead of "who"
  • the "shields on the left", I don't think you neeed to mention how many neutrals each shield has(or do you mean autodeploy?)
  • I'm not sure it's possible with the current xml to have a condition that you can only attack London if you have 4 churches. Haven't seen it on any map anyway. Maybe you could make victory objectives to hold all 4 churches AND london?

for the rest. This looks like a good basic design already :D

On labirynth you can only attack slave entrances if you hold prometheus, so i do think it s possible
Major betiko

Postby Aleena on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:56 am

Map Name:War of The Roses
Number of Territories: 66
Special Features:
.....London spawn units on their own space each turn
.....Though all players starting spaces are random each player so each player starts with different Qty troops.

.....So based on the random spaces given to players - not all players will start even
.....Also since the winner is not solely based off conquest, even the smallest army can win if skillful
.....I have not played all the map's but for two reasons I feel this map should be made.

Game has 38 Family Crest "Shield" cities which all start with different Qty troops and are randomly distributed to all players at the start of the game.

There is 14 Basic Cities usually start as neutral - unless needed to balance out even lands to starting players. If so, the Basic cities that will be randomly given to players at start will be:
.....Carisbrooke
.....Penzance
.....Berwick
.....Beaumaris

London and Calais will always start as neutral. Each turn London will spawn 1 additional unit for it's protection.

Map Images:
Last edited by Aleena on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby Aleena on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:33 am

Not sure where to go next - so I started to go through the basic tutorial for coding this board. I wrote all the code needed based on the basic tutorial - onto MS Notepad. Not sure how to attach it or even test play it to see if I did it right??

Few things that I was not able to do yet - but I'll try to figure it out by reading other threads - if I has access to them is:
1) Set Qty of troops on each terrain at start of game.
2) Auto Deploy +1 unit each turn to London
I see how I can add +1 to deploy if player controls London - but what I need is the number of units on London increase by one each turn while not controlled by a player.
3) I do not know how to block or prevent access to attack London unless player has control over 4 churches first.

Besides these 3 issues - I think I have it all coded.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:10 am

To make this into a map you are gonna need better graphics... Just saying
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby HardAttack on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:05 am

Aleena, pretty much impressed,
congrats, nice work mate.
Colonel HardAttack

Postby waauw on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:59 am

Bruceswar wrote:To make this into a map you are gonna need better graphics... Just saying

I agree, especially the sea needs to be nicer. The dark blue looks too basic.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:31 am

Aleena wrote:Not sure where to go next - so I started to go through the basic tutorial for coding this board. I wrote all the code needed based on the basic tutorial - onto MS Notepad. Not sure how to attach it or even test play it to see if I did it right??

Few things that I was not able to do yet - but I'll try to figure it out by reading other threads - if I has access to them is:
1) Set Qty of troops on each terrain at start of game.
2) Auto Deploy +1 unit each turn to London
I see how I can add +1 to deploy if player controls London - but what I need is the number of units on London increase by one each turn while not controlled by a player.
3) I do not know how to block or prevent access to attack London unless player has control over 4 churches first.

Besides these 3 issues - I think I have it all coded.

Don't worry about the XML right now as the game-play will change a bit along the way. Just focus on getting the Draft, game-play and graphic stamps first! For XML help, the XML Guide will tell you everything you need to know.

As for your points above:
1. Can be done easily;
2. This cannot be done with the current XML, but what you can do is set the neutral count high enough to make it difficult for a player to get it.
3. This is done by conditional borders, and the XML Guide explains it all.

As I mentioned, focus on getting the Draft stamp first. The requirements for the Draft stamp can be found here.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Aleena on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:42 pm

You say I need more graphics and the water is too simple...
Ok, I've added mountains, trees, boats and a compass...
I've also added texture to the ocean, and tweeked the land graphics a bit.
And added a light source to try to give a globe effect...
Last edited by Aleena on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby waauw on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:29 am

omg! this looks so pretty :o
Lieutenant waauw

Postby ViperOverLord on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:04 am

Best map I've seen by a person with a question mark for a rank.
Major ViperOverLord

Postby Aleena on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:39 am

Map Name:War of The Roses
Number of Territories: 66
Special Features:
.....London spawn units on their own space each turn (if not possible then starts with 100 units)

....A balance system that makes gives smaller players more reinforcements

.....Carisbrooke
.....Penzance
.....Berwick
.....Beaumaris

Balancing System:
This is to help encourage the struggle to become King versus just killing off all the players and becoming the Ruler (though that is still possible)

Players minimum will receive 1 unit per turn
Players that have Qty Areas from 1 to 10 get 1 reinforcement for each area control.
Players with 11 to 66 areas get 1 to 6 reinforcements 1 for every 11 areas they control.

So once you capture your 11th area - you are getting to become to bulky to manage your army as efficiently so your reinforcements drop. Allowing smaller nations a chance to climb back up and helping to detour players from dominating the entire board.

This might also open the door to more diplomatic game play - as such - I'll let you come behind me and capture these cities (to keep my city count under 11 yet also bring your count up so you get more reinforcements) as long as you allow me to retain control over this city which completes a family of mine "giving me a +1 bonus".

Map Images:
Small
Click image to enlarge.

Large
Click image to enlarge.

Troop Count in each starting location:
Player's Starting Locations: - (players need to combine family members to gain bonuses)
Alnwick 4 * Family A (2 members)
Cockermouth 4 * Family A (2 members)
Chillingham 4 * Family B (2 members)
Rockingham 4 * Family B (2 members)
Helmsley 4 * Family C (2 members)
Belvoir 4 * Family C (2 members)
Stokestay 4 * Family D (2 members)
Sandal 4 * Family D (2 members)
Chirk 4 * Family E (2 members)
Arundel 4 * Family E (2 members)
Newcastle 4 * Family F (2 members)
Leeds 4 * Family F (2 members)
Kimbolton 4 * Family G (2 members)
Compton 4 * Family G (2 members)
Raby 3 * Family H (4 members)
Richmond 3 * Family H (4 members)
Warwick 3 * Family H (4 members)
Ogmore 3 * Family H (4 members)
Wressle 3 * Family I (5 members)
Denbigh 3 * Family I (5 members)
Castle Rising 3 * Family I (5 members)
Usk 3 * Family I (5 members)
Flamlingham 3 * Family I (5 members)
Appleby 5
Masham 5
Conisboro 5
Tickhill 6
Tutbury 7
Llanstephan 5
Okehampton 5
Tattershall 5
Ludlow 5
Wingfield 5
Pleshey 6
Berkeley 5
Farnham 5
Corte 8 (port)
Douglas 10 (port)

Key Locations: (These locations can also be starting points for players)
Berwick 6 (port)
Beaumaris 8 (port)
Penzance 8 (port)
Carisbrooke 6 (port)

Churches:
Carlisle 6
Durham 6
York 6
Lincoln 6
Chester 6
Coventry 6
Norwich 6
Wells 6
Exeter 6
Salisbury 6
Canterbury 6
St. Davids 6

Basic Cities:
Whitby 6 (port)
Caernarvon 6 (port)
Preston 6 (port)
Northhampton 3
Oxford 3
Wallingford 3
windsor 3
Bristol 6 (port)
Devor 6 (port)
Plymouth 6 (port)

Mainland:
Calasis 10 (port)

Victory City:
London 10 +1 per turn (if not possible then 100 troops0

There is 8 access points to London so in an 8 player game all players can be sitting at the doors of London at the same time. But their is only 12 churches and players need control of 4 of them to attack London. So at any given point, at most there can only be 3 players attacking London at once. It is possible that two are attacking and one waits until the other two burn through their troops, then that one jumps in for the win. They must hold onto London for one full round to win. (Long enough to be declared king)
Last edited by Aleena on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby waauw on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:58 am

could you change some of the textcolours a bit? Having some issues with being able to read citynames on the small version. The light coloured citynames near the very bright sea in the southwest especially. Also I'd prefer it if London was in a darker colour...
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Aleena on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Ok, ty for your feed back

I've changed the color of the south west areas to dark blue instead of light blue
I changes the Text font and made them all bold
I placed a scroll behind London to make it stand out more and made it black text
I split the areas in the big region to become two smaller regions - just made since.

Cleaned up the circles and the crosses...

Uploaded it back to the previous post of mine above - Now what do you think?

The community has told me:
They only like the Orange and Green colors of words - change the others
Especially the WHITE text is jarring...
Add to the Legend about the London and the churches
Smooth out the water - the tile effect is too pixallated.
Clean-up graphics on some shields
Private 1st Class Aleena

Postby Aleena on Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Map Images:
Small
Click image to enlarge.

Large
Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by Aleena on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class Aleena

Next

Return to Recycling Box