Conquer Club

[Vacation - retooling] Q*onqr (1v1)

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Q*onqr (1v1) - Seeking 1v1 Approval 9/9

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:28 am

Here is an updated image with more appropriate gameplay.

I want to start over and redo almost all of the graphics on this if we can get to a decent state for gameplay and interest. I would like the legend to be more symbolic than text heavy so I am working on sketching that out and will have that revision soon as well.

=D13=

Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: Q*onqr (1v1) - Seeking Input 10/1

Postby generalhead on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:54 pm

The graphics look good.
I am not a good person to comment on game play though.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby MrBenn on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:25 pm

I haven't looked at the gameplay at all, but the cube-grid needs to be rotated so it's the right way round (so the perpendicular lines are vertical)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby DearCyrus on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:12 am

MrBenn wrote:I haven't looked at the gameplay at all, but the cube-grid needs to be rotated so it's the right way round (so the perpendicular lines are vertical)

agree.
Corporal 1st Class DearCyrus

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 pm

I will have a chance later this week to work on the next iteration of graphics and gameplay. I initially tilted it because I planned on it only roughly looking like a video game. Now that I have embraced the classic arcade stand up look I also agree that the cubes should be brought upright.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:08 am

OK I have been working on the map and trying to eliminate as much text as possible. I want the map to use imagery to convey the mechanics the same way that limited text was used on the play-field of classic video game cabinets. I changed some game-play and troop numbers just a bit on this one. I need to redo the cubes and move things around for better spacing and a more logical layout but I think it is making much more sense now.

=D13=

http://imageshack.com/a/img809/433/rtjq.png
Cook dolomite13

Re: Q*onqr (1v1) - Map & Gameplay Update 11/17

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:06 pm

What more is needed for a Draft stamp on this?

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:09 pm

dolomite13 wrote:What more is needed for a Draft stamp on this?

=D13=

Some room in the foundry for one.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:32 pm

You mean this???
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:12 am

Yea!!!

OK now how do people feel about the iconography, can you understand the map?

And what about the gameplay? this is meant for 2 players. Do you think it will end up decided solely on the dice or is there a strategy here?

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:30 am

A few things to clear up then for this one.

• With the disks in the legend. Place a P & G next to the coloured disk. You say reset, but make that resets to 5 neutrals. You have the room and cleans that part up 100%.
  • Pink can attack green with or without yellow?
  • In the bottom text, you say that hold all spaces of a given colour to win, P & G disc are killers so this cannot be correct.
  • Top of the legend you have the two coloured movement diagrams, but not for yellow, so how do the yellow regions attack? You have two of them starting at the top so if they attack the same way as pink and green, why go for the discs?
  • The decay and auto deploy regions, can you explain why these are on the map? You have all three at the bottom of the map and no reason for them seems apparent.
  • At the bottom you have yellow = symbol. What is that symbol and what does it mean?

dolomite, I know you want to clear a lot of text of the map, but I believe you have gone too far.

dolomite13 wrote:And what about the gameplay? this is meant for 2 players. Do you think it will end up decided solely on the dice or is there a strategy here?

Two player games are all about dice. :lol: But you tell me, what strategy do you see on this?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby degaston on Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:40 am

Big fan of Q*bert - it was the only arcade game I ever got really good at, and could usually play as long as I wanted to on 1 quarter, so I feel like I have to weigh in on this one.

I don't think the gameplay fits the theme if the yellows are dead-ends or if green and purple can attack each other directly. What if it played more like three overlapping games at once on one map. Each player could start out with one yellow (YB & YR), one green (GD & GP) and one purple (PG & PM). Attacks would be patterned after the movements of the arcade game. (Ex: YJ borders YE, YF, YN and YO, but not YI or YK) Green and purple would work the same as viewed from their relative perspectives. The winning condition might be to hold all of one color, or 10 of all three colors.

Disks could be used to provide a connection to the different colors. There could be two disks for each color. Yellow's would be next to & assaulted by YH and YL, and could assault PM and GP. (The "top center" of the other two colors) Green and Purple would have similarly positioned disks, rotated to fit their perspective.

Monsters and power balls could still be incorporated somehow, but I think every cube face should be a territory.

Keep the hex bonus, and to emphasize "what you conquer is more important than how much you conquer", you might consider capping, reducing, or even eliminating the territory bonus.
universalchiro wrote:@degaston: whatever dude you win, you have it all figured out. You have out smarted even God.
Brigadier degaston

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:21 pm

degaston wrote:Big fan of Q*bert - it was the only arcade game I ever got really good at, and could usually play as long as I wanted to on 1 quarter, so I feel like I have to weigh in on this one.

I don't think the gameplay fits the theme if the yellows are dead-ends or if green and purple can attack each other directly. What if it played more like three overlapping games at once on one map. Each player could start out with one yellow (YB & YR), one green (GD & GP) and one purple (PG & PM). Attacks would be patterned after the movements of the arcade game. (Ex: YJ borders YE, YF, YN and YO, but not YI or YK) Green and purple would work the same as viewed from their relative perspectives. The winning condition might be to hold all of one color, or 10 of all three colors.

Disks could be used to provide a connection to the different colors. There could be two disks for each color. Yellow's would be next to & assaulted by YH and YL, and could assault PM and GP. (The "top center" of the other two colors) Green and Purple would have similarly positioned disks, rotated to fit their perspective.

Monsters and power balls could still be incorporated somehow, but I think every cube face should be a territory.

Keep the hex bonus, and to emphasize "what you conquer is more important than how much you conquer", you might consider capping, reducing, or even eliminating the territory bonus.

Wow I love these ideas.

I will take a closer look at the suggestions this weekend and see what changes can be done to make this more like the arcade game but still its own unique game.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby degaston on Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Thinking about this a little more - does it even need to be a 1v1? If the gameplay was changed as I described, then starting regions could be everything except the disks. I know that your intention was to make a dedicated 1v1, but there are enough regions to support even a 12 player game.

I think it would still be a good map for 1v1. It seems unlikely that anyone would get a particularly good or bad drop. To guarantee that no one drops a bonus, you could specify that one face of each cube starts as neutral. Or you could use only green and purple for starting positions so the players would have to move into yellow to start getting bonuses.

One slight modification to my previous post: it might be better for disks to assault the "top" three faces of the other colors to avoid making it too easy to lock up access to a color.
universalchiro wrote:@degaston: whatever dude you win, you have it all figured out. You have out smarted even God.
Brigadier degaston

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:38 am

Working hard to get the Valentines Day map done in time for actual Valentines Day ... and Krazy Kingdom bug fixes.... will have an update in a few weeks.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:46 am

dolomite13 wrote:Working hard to get the Valentines Day map done in time for actual Valentines Day ... and Krazy Kingdom bug fixes.... will have an update in a few weeks.

=D13=

Till then, I am bunging you on holiday.

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. The map is moved to the Recycling Box and put into Vacation status for the next 6 months. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Cartographer Assistants will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Re: [Vacation - valid until June 2014]Q*onqr (1v1)

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Sounds Good

I plan to completely revamp the gameplay and get an xml ready so I can do some testing on the test server but I just need a good solid afternoon to get it done and don't have that available right now as I have a lot going on outside of CC right now with work and a vacation to mexico in the next month or so.

I should have something in a few months.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: [Abandoned] Q*onqr (1v1)

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:10 pm

I would like to extend vacation on this through August if possible as I do plan to return to it soon.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: [Abandoned] Q*onqr (1v1)

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:48 pm

I have NOT abandoned this map but I will be revising it entirely based on some new map-making features and will re-introduce it by the end of the year. Lets just call this one on hiatus till then. And if I don't have a new design by then we can cal it truly abandoned.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: [Vacation - retooling] Q*onqr (1v1)

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:15 pm

you got it dolomite.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Re: [Vacation - retooling] Q*onqr (1v1)

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:40 pm

I'm going to officially call this one shelved ... If I ever return to CC full time I will look at the new transformations etc and see if it is worth dusting off... Sorry folks
Cook dolomite13

Previous

Return to Recycling Box