Conquer Club

[Abandoned] The 5 Towers

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The 5 Towers [26/8] Page 1

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:56 am

ManBungalow wrote:Love it.

Could you make the hex lines a little darker in the next version please? I'm having a little bit of difficulty working the regions out in a few places.

Thank you !!!!

..and I will test it :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby EricPhail on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Wrt to the conditional borders thing:
I meant making it so that once you held one race, you no longer bordered any others (they were locked away, you couldn't touch them unless you lost your race for some reason (probably to too complicated but I thought I should ask?)

The research + different capital/race thing was along the lines of after taking someone elses capital (unless I'm interpeting that wrong and capitals are unconquerable)
Further to that - does the race prohibition apply at seperate castles if you end up with more than one (such as due to a deadbeat teammate, or capturing one)

Evidently I haven't played enough King's Court 2

Edit If P17 only trades R16 and supplies to/from L18
Who does P15 trade with?

Then what about R16:
Trade P17 is obvious, but does it trade with T15?
If not who does?
Sergeant 1st Class EricPhail

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:52 pm

EricPhail wrote:Wrt to the conditional borders thing:
I meant making it so that once you held one race, you no longer bordered any others (they were locked away, you couldn't touch them unless you lost your race for some reason (probably to too complicated but I thought I should ask?)

That would be ideal, but I don't think we can do that with the actual XML :(

The research + different capital/race thing was along the lines of after taking someone elses capital (unless I'm interpeting that wrong and capitals are unconquerable)
Further to that - does the race prohibition apply at seperate castles if you end up with more than one (such as due to a deadbeat teammate, or capturing one)

Those are interesting questions :) .. and I've been thinking about them along the way. Let's see:

Scenario 1
You have 'Addar' and 'Addar Elves' and you take Ragnarok from player 2 who is a Dwarf, you just won't touch that region (Ragnarok Dwarves) - you don't need to be worried about it because he/she can't do any harm to you from there. And he will be probably dead (unless he has another capital* or a tower)

* I don't know if we can lock one player to the capital he started on, so if he loses it he dies even if owning another capital.

Scenario 2
You have 'Addar' and 'Addar Elves' and you take Ragnarok from player 2 who is also an Elf should you be able to take 'Ragnarok Elves' ?
Probably you should...
if we go by what the legend says, you can only have/choose 1 race, but it doesn't say anything about having the same race but from 2 different capitals. So yes...

Evidently I haven't played enough King's Court 2

Edit If P17 only trades R16 and supplies to/from L18
Who does P15 trade with?

P15 Port will trade with P17 Village - My bad, I missed it in the post above ... :oops:

Then what about R16:
Trade P17 is obvious, but does it trade with T15?
If not who does?

yes, T15 Port will trade with R16 Village (but it will also supply S18 Fortress and W17 Gate)

Major Kabanellas

Postby nicarus on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:00 pm

kab, this map looks totally bad ass. can't wait to play it.
Sergeant 1st Class nicarus

Postby Kabanellas on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:52 am

nicarus wrote:kab, this map looks totally bad ass. can't wait to play it.

Thank you!
Major Kabanellas

Postby macbone on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:02 am

Wow, dude. Just wow. This looks like an amazing map. I just hope I'll be able to figure out how to play it. =)
Colonel macbone

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:20 am

I think we can brand this map as supersized within the limitsKab is asking for!

With that being said, I believe this is ready for the ole Draft stamp!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Kabanellas on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks Isaiah!! =D> =D> =D>

..and thanks macbone :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:38 pm

An update to the map:

I've redone Addar to Ragnarok connection (it was to immediate compared to others)

Click image to enlarge.
Major Kabanellas

Re: The 5 Towers [7/10] Page 3

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:22 pm

I am not sure you need the -50 for each additional race as you can code it to close the borders of all of the remaining race selections if you control at least one race. The interesting thing is that in a nukes game you could loose your race then select a completely different race.

I would also consider modifying the lose condition to losing more than just the capital. Again in a Nukes game it sucks when losing a single territory can eliminate you from the game. And can make it attractive as a strategy in multi-player games to simply stack on one player who then steamrollers as fast as possible to your capital.

I love the ideas in this map. It's as almost as if you reached into my brain and plucked out several concepts I was looking at for a Krazy Kingdoms sequel map ;)

Great Job!

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Kabanellas on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:42 am

Thank you dolomite :)

about the -50 thing. Nobodies already talked to me about it. Those -50 will be removed from legend.

about the nukes, I really didn't think much about it, but you're completely right. We'll have to change the conditions to avoid that frustrating happening of being nuked to death. Interesting situation though, that one of being able to chose another race (if the initial one gets nuked), but it will be one terrible round. No race means no bonus/capabilities :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:59 am

Kabanellas wrote:Thank you dolomite :)

about the -50 thing. Nobodies already talked to me about it. Those -50 will be removed from legend.

about the nukes, I really didn't think much about it, but you're completely right. We'll have to change the conditions to avoid that frustrating happening of being nuked to death. Interesting situation though, that one of being able to chose another race (if the initial one gets nuked), but it will be one terrible round. No race means no bonus/capabilities :)

You could come up with a "no race" bonus structure that is simply x per territory like 3 or 4 per territory or something. It would need to be less than your regular bonus structure and not an attractive strategic choice over choosing a race. Or over choosing a race if you loose your race late in the game. I do this with Krazy Kingdoms, if you loose your kingdom your bonus structure falls to 1/3 for the entire map rather than the special territory bonuses you get. This drops the potential for the entire map from a possible +19 to a possible +10.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Kabanellas on Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:45 pm

well, but in this case choosing a race needs to be mandatory, it's a conceptual thing. You get no access to any other region without taking (choosing) your race first.
Major Kabanellas

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:38 pm

Level 3 Mages says "all races level B" on the map but "all races level 1 B" on the guide.

I think the early game nukes problem would be solved if you let the race you have chosen assault the capital and make it so the race and capital needed to be lost (and no towers held) to lose the game. This would simulate conquering a kingdom and then assimilating their race as part of your new kingdom.

I noticed that gates and forests can be bombarded by bordering hexes and that there are racial abilities that say you can enter these hexes. Currently the engine doesn't allow for conditional bombardments. It also doesn't handle both bombardments and borders between the same two territories so I am pretty sure this is technically possible.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby silversun6 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:04 am

thats me.

dude this is amazing, keep on bringing the best maps to cc !
OSA 2013 GRAND POOBA Seamus76 AKA TopDog
Colonel silversun6

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:08 pm

ahahh silversun6, thanks! nice clip :)

dolomite13 wrote:Level 3 Mages says "all races level B" on the map but "all races level 1 B" on the guide.

I wrote Lv1 B (it's a 1 not an L :) )

I think the early game nukes problem would be solved if you let the race you have chosen assault the capital and make it so the race and capital needed to be lost (and no towers held) to lose the game. This would simulate conquering a kingdom and then assimilating their race as part of your new kingdom.

There's a problem with that. Player A can take Player's B capital but he CAN'T take Player's B Race. Because you can't own more than 1 race....

I noticed that gates and forests can be bombarded by bordering hexes and that there are racial abilities that say you can enter these hexes. Currently the engine doesn't allow for conditional bombardments. It also doesn't handle both bombardments and borders between the same two territories so I am pretty sure this is technically possible.

Yes, that's the question I was putting on your thread:

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=649&t=193960&p=4259798#p4259798

Kabanellas wrote:Any idea concerning this issue raised by Dolomite?

- Territory A can bombard territory B
- With conditional borders, A will get border to B by taking territory C

Will the bombard feature be override?

Isn't this possible? Isaiah said he was going to test it.....

=D13=
Major Kabanellas

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:02 pm

dolomite13 wrote:I think the early game nukes problem would be solved if you let the race you have chosen assault the capital and make it so the race and capital needed to be lost (and no towers held) to lose the game. This would simulate conquering a kingdom and then assimilating their race as part of your new kingdom.

There's a problem with that. Player A can take Player's B capital but he CAN'T take Player's B Race. Because you can't own more than 1 race....

Why not? wouldn't it make sense that as you conquer other races you assimilate them into your culture. Not everyone would be completely genocidal. Although I guess it would be easy enough to lock you out of assaulting a race from a capital provided you already held at least one race location amongst the 48 available race positions on the map. I was thinking much more narrow scope on that.

dolomite13 wrote:I noticed that gates and forests can be bombarded by bordering hexes and that there are racial abilities that say you can enter these hexes. Currently the engine doesn't allow for conditional bombardments. It also doesn't handle both bombardments and borders between the same two territories so I am pretty sure this is technically possible.

Yes, that's the question I was putting on your thread:

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=649&t=193960&p=4259798#p4259798

Kabanellas wrote:Any idea concerning this issue raised by Dolomite?

- Territory A can bombard territory B
- With conditional borders, A will get border to B by taking territory C

Will the bombard feature be override?

Isn't this possible? Isaiah said he was going to test it.....

I believe that it was checked by Gilligan and that the Border did not override the Bombard. And if they ever add conditional Bombards, and this trick actually worked, then maps that used that trick to override the bombard might need to have their xml updated. Trust me I wanted this feature so badly but ended up having to change gameplay to accommodate it not working.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:22 pm

dolomite13 wrote:I believe that it was checked by Gilligan and that the Border did not override the Bombard. And if they ever add conditional Bombards, and this trick actually worked, then maps that used that trick to override the bombard might need to have their xml updated. Trust me I wanted this feature so badly but ended up having to change gameplay to accommodate it not working.

=D13=

This is true, it doe not work. But it should be easy to code considering we already have conditional borders, so why not conditional bombardments!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Kabanellas on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:01 am

isaiah40 wrote:This is true, it doe not work. But it should be easy to code considering we already have conditional borders, so why not conditional bombardments!

Yes, conditional bombardments would solve the problem here... And I'd be willing to wait for it :|
Major Kabanellas

Postby Kabanellas on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:07 am

dolomite13 wrote:Why not? wouldn't it make sense that as you conquer other races you assimilate them into your culture. Not everyone would be completely genocidal. Although I guess it would be easy enough to lock you out of assaulting a race from a capital provided you already held at least one race location amongst the 48 available race positions on the map. I was thinking much more narrow scope on that.

The idea, is that you stick to one race and construct your game around its capabilities. If you're an Orc you have to play like an Orc from the beginning to the end. Besides, if you could add race capabilities you'd have an uncontrolled game-play with super players.

The only race that can add other races capabilities (due to technology advances) are the mages.
Major Kabanellas

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Kabanellas wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:Why not? wouldn't it make sense that as you conquer other races you assimilate them into your culture. Not everyone would be completely genocidal. Although I guess it would be easy enough to lock you out of assaulting a race from a capital provided you already held at least one race location amongst the 48 available race positions on the map. I was thinking much more narrow scope on that.

The idea, is that you stick to one race and construct your game around its capabilities. If you're an Orc you have to play like an Orc from the beginning to the end. Besides, if you could add race capabilities you'd have an uncontrolled game-play with super players.

The only race that can add other races capabilities (due to technology advances) are the mages.

Fair enough. I look forward to playing this someday.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Kab, the official answer about the elves being the only one able to access forest is a bad one.

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=196757&p=4315985#p4315985

Simply if we put a territory into borders it always overrides the bombardment tag, condition or not.
So if c18 has b19 as border, elves condition or not, it can be taken by all races. There's no "switch option" in this case.

It means we should change some several things on the map. :(
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:43 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. The map is moved to the Recycling Box and put into Vacation status for the next 6 months. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Cartographer Assistants will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Previous

Return to Recycling Box