Conquer Club

[Abandoned] The 5 Towers

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] The 5 Towers

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:48 pm

ImageImage

Map Name: The 5 Towers
Mapmaker(s): Kabanellas & TheNobodies80
Number of Territories: A lot - this is the small version with 900x1100px
Special Features: Condicional borders, Starting positions
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:
King's Court 2 meets Dawn of Ages, to recreate the fabulous world of Tolkien Mythology.
To start playing you first need to choose one race. Only then you can proceed.
Each race has different particularities, to whom will open new and unique gameplay options as you proceed through the technology tree.

Map Image:

With neutral starters - all other map hexes will start with 1
Click image to enlarge.

Previous version:
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/DOA2v6_IMG.png~original
Last edited by Kabanellas on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Major Kabanellas

Re: The 5 Towers

Postby Aleena on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:01 pm

love the idea
Private 1st Class Aleena

Re: The 5 Towers (looking for a partner for the XML)

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:40 am

Kabs, the small maps need to be within these sizes (Small Version: width up to 780 px, height up to 650 px). But I do know exceptions can be made if it is stunning. O:) I would suggest you send a PM to isaiah to get the go ahead on this.

Till then, would you like this in the drafting room?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Kabanellas on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:54 am

Hello Koontz!!

Sure, the Drafting room seems great :)

..and thanks Aleena!!
Major Kabanellas

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:18 am

Drafting room you go, not sure if this can be called a graft though. ;) It looks better than most maps after quenching. :D
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby jcarter1 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:53 am

I am a computer scientist and worked a lot with XML in the past. I have not yet coded an XML file for a CC map, but a quick search came up with a guide on how to do it a good while back. If that guide still exists, I am sure I can help you with this. If you would rather have an experienced CC map XML coder, that is fine with me as well.

JC
Major jcarter1
SoC Training Adviser

Postby loutil on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:51 am

KK II is one of my favorite maps. I am now excited to see this one roll out...
Conqueror loutil
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby The Voice on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:30 pm

Wow, this is a beautiful map. While I don't quite grasp the gameplay immediately, I'm sure it'll be a fun one to play.

Suggestions, Observations, Questions:
All non-important hexes without roads will kill 2 troops per round due to shortness oflimited supplies.
Tunnel near G03 doesn't seem to go anywhere.
Not a big fan of the red dashes. They clash with the terrain. I know they need to stand out though. What if the line thickness was increased?
"-40 for each additional race" should probably be a little bigger so that players know to just choose one.
Is water the only impassable?
Are the thin lines over the water bridges? I don't see them on the map legend. If so, I think they could be made to look more like bridges.
Major The Voice

Postby Armandolas on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Kabanellas , as usual ...this is looking great.
Looking forward to follow the developments.
Colonel Armandolas

Postby uckuki on Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:43 pm

This is going to be a great map ... potentially CC's best. Looks good already, Kab.
Colonel uckuki

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:31 am

Thanks guys!!!

jcarter1, I'll be sending you a PM ;)

The Voice, yup I could raise it from 40 to 50.... or more :).
As for tunnel G03, yes it doesn't lead to nowhere, but it's useful for Dwarves because they can 'harvest' mountain's interiors. And they can also keep hiding in there, because the other races (apart from Orcs) can't enter Gates, they can only bombard them.
Major Kabanellas

Postby ViperOverLord on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:50 am

Is the guide incorporated into the larger version of this map?
Major ViperOverLord

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:08 am

ViperOverLord wrote:Is the guide incorporated into the larger version of this map?

it's pretty much everything on map already.... I just got a little more detailed on the guide regarding some aspects.

Of course that this could come with a pretty nice guidebook inside the game package :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:06 pm

I have done XML for Jamaica, Monsters!, Krazy Kingdoms, and Conquer 500 and have been working with XML for 15 years. I would love to do the xml for this map.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks a lot dolomite for your interest!!!!

I've made initially an invite to thenobodies80 to be my partner on this one and he confirmed it in this past weekend, as he was a bit absent from CC due to personal stuff over the last week.
Major Kabanellas

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Kabanellas wrote:Thanks a lot dolomite for your interest!!!!

I've made initially an invite to thenobodies80 to be my partner on this one and he confirmed it in this past weekend, as he was a bit absent from CC due to personal stuff over the last week.

Not a problem, he will do a stellar job :D

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Gilligan on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:19 pm

Wow, this looks insane. I am surprised there are so many takers for the XML on this one! Now I won't feel pressured to do it since isaiah told me to. :mrgreen:
Major Gilligan

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:51 pm

I know... it's just like this girl that means trouble, but you just can't stop wanting her.... :D
Major Kabanellas

Postby The Voice on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:27 am

Kabanellas wrote:Thanks guys!!!

jcarter1, I'll be sending you a PM ;)

The Voice, yup I could raise it from 40 to 50.... or more :).
As for tunnel G03, yes it doesn't lead to nowhere, but it's useful for Dwarves because they can 'harvest' mountain's interiors. And they can also keep hiding in there, because the other races (apart from Orcs) can't enter Gates, they can only bombard them.

Whoops, I'm sorry. I meant to say that I think the font saying "-40 for each additional race" should be a tad bigger just so it's not lost in the rest of the guide. 8-[ Can't wait to play this one!
Major The Voice

Re: The 5 Towers [26/8] Page 1

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:02 am

Kab you have missed two territory labels in A18 and A14. Btw that link between the two regions via sea is visible enough? Also H01 - B01 is a bit, let me say, "uncommon"....it is clear to me, but is it the same for everyone?

Supply and Trade are requirements to gain the technology bonus, right? or the bonus is given anyway if you have that race? For example, elves Lv1A receive +1 from trade only if the player has at least one complete trade route as described in the legend (e.g. R16 with T15), if he doesn't have a complete trade route he gains nothing from Lv1A tech. This is correct?
Tech bonuses apply only once? I mean elves Lv1B is "+1 from sanctuary", it is just +1 or it is +1 for each sanctuary held?

I'm still worried about the map sizes thought I understand you need that space, i do not see any particular or significative zone with wasted space so to my eyes this is a case "if the people want the map, give them the map", this because I can't ask you to save space somewhere....
Moreover, I'll be involved into the development so I'm lucky enough to have at least one good reason to pass to isaiah40 the final say on the map sizes. :mrgreen: O:)

A personal question: Why you decided to use this graphics style again? I know you have the skill to do something different....why you want to stick with it?
Just to be sure, I'm NOT syaing it looks bad. O:)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:35 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Kab you have missed two territory labels in A18 and A14. Btw that link between the two regions via sea is visible enough? Also H01 - B01 is a bit, let me say, "uncommon"....it is clear to me, but is it the same for everyone?

Hi NB!! :)
I'll correct those missing labels. As for H01-B01 I'm sure that everyone will find it clear as you have.

Supply and Trade are requirements to gain the technology bonus, right? or the bonus is given anyway if you have that race? For example, elves Lv1A receive +1 from trade only if the player has at least one complete trade route as described in the legend (e.g. R16 with T15), if he doesn't have a complete trade route he gains nothing from Lv1A tech. This is correct?

yes, trade and supply are technological advances. So they will only trigger when you discover (assault and conquer) the proper technology and hold (at least) one complete connection. You example is absolutely correct.

Tech bonuses apply only once? I mean elves Lv1B is "+1 from sanctuary", it is just +1 or it is +1 for each sanctuary held?

+1 for each sanctuary held. As in every other situation. +1 from every Fortress, + 1 from every village, + 1 from every trade connection.... and so on.

A personal question: Why you decided to use this graphics style again? I know you have the skill to do something different....why you want to stick with it?
Just to be sure, I'm NOT syaing it looks bad. O:)

It just felt right to me :). I wanted to take more advantage from KC2 graphic style, and enhance it. Overall, I can pretty much say that I love the way this map is looking in the end

Major Kabanellas

Postby EricPhail on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:18 am

Various Questions (mostly re:stacking)
The one race only limitation (currently -40 deploy) could you use conditional borders to enforce that instead?
Also does this apply if you take a second capital?
How does this bonus stack? (Is 3 races -80 or -120, thus would 4 be -120 or -240, 5 -160 or -400, all 6 -200 or -600? Do doubles of the same count toward this?
Do multiples of the same researches stack? (eg. If you have 2 capitals and 2x 1b is the bonus doubled? Even if you take the same race again?)
Do range increases stack? (eg. Horsemen lv1a, 2a and 3a: Is it just +2 all hexes or +5 Forts +3 everything else)
Do Similar Bonuses Stack? (eg. is Mage 1a + Mage 2a: +2 or +3 per orb?)

Does taking the same race more than once have any benfits?
Do researches at one capital apply to a race at another?

Trade and supply both say nearest, does this mean only the nearest counts (per type or total?) or that it only counts once (per type?)

Eg. P17 does is gain trade with:
a. Only R16 (nearest of any)
b. Addar, R16, P15 (nearset of each) and do these stack?
c. as b. plus L15 (adjacent only)
d. Ragnarok, V20, T15, R16, Addar, L20 P15, L15... etc (any unbroken road line) - do these stack all, per type or not at all?

I think thats enough to be going on with (many of these may need clarifying in the legend)
Sergeant 1st Class EricPhail

Postby ManBungalow on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:06 am

Love it.

Could you make the hex lines a little darker in the next version please? I'm having a little bit of difficulty working the regions out in a few places.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:46 am

EricPhail wrote:Various Questions (mostly re:stacking)
The one race only limitation (currently -40 deploy) could you use conditional borders to enforce that instead?

How...? You need to be able to choose the one you want.

Also does this apply if you take a second capital?

yes, the idea is that taking a second race will make the game unplayable for you. -50 is a game killer

How does this bonus stack? (Is 3 races -80 or -120, thus would 4 be -120 or -240, 5 -160 or -400, all 6 -200 or -600? Do doubles of the same count toward this?

Yes, it should be cumulative. So you'll get -50 x2 if you take(choose) 3 races.

Do multiples of the same researches stack? (eg. If you have 2 capitals and 2x 1b is the bonus doubled? Even if you take the same race again?)

No, it will only work once, per race

Do range increases stack? (eg. Horsemen lv1a, 2a and 3a: Is it just +2 all hexes or +5 Forts +3 everything else)

With the Horsemen, for instance. If you have Lv1a tech you'll be able to reach 3 hexes from a fortress (the normal 1hex + 2 hexes from tech); if you have Lv2a you'll be able to reach 2 hexes from every hex (while keeping the 3 hexes range from fortress, if you own Lv1a). But it is a progression, so if you advance to Lv3a you'll raise those +1 to +2, meaning that you'll be able to reach 3 hexes from every Hex.

Do Similar Bonuses Stack? (eg. is Mage 1a + Mage 2a: +2 or +3 per orb?)

The same works for bonuses. With Mages Lv1a, Orbs will give you 1, with Lv2a Orbs will give you 2 (not 3)

Does taking the same race more than once have any benfits?

No, like I said above. It will only work once.

Do researches at one capital apply to a race at another?

No... and the idea is that every player will start with only 1 capital

Trade and supply both say nearest, does this mean only the nearest counts (per type or total?) or that it only counts once (per type?)

The mechanics here, are pretty much the same as you can find on King's Court 2. you'll get per connection, only once

Eg. P17 does is gain trade with:

P17 Village, can connect to:

R16 Village (which is the nearest village) (trade bonus)
    L18 Gate (supply bonus)

*It cannot connect to Addar, because Addar already connects to L20 Village (which is the nearest village)

Major Kabanellas

Next

Return to Recycling Box