Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Los Angeles

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Los Angeles - update pg 4

Postby Bones2484 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:06 pm

max is gr8 wrote:We have enough Graphical Maps, but they aren't as good as the others, Which ones do I play, ireland - because its so small, Age of Merchants, new game play style. King of mountains, gameplay far greater than any others. Age of Might, Magic and The other one. Why new game play ideas. Circus maximus great idea, I prefer gameplay over simple repetitive games.

I agree, which is why Oaktown is trying to incorporate freeways into a new game play style.

The idea you had is just like AoR and Age of Merchants. It's the same exact thing, but based on an actual map of Los Angeles.
Major Bones2484

Postby oaktown on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:43 pm

seamusk wrote:Is there ANY game play to this yet? I'm not meaning to poke but I'm unclear as to what the gameplay idea actually is.

There is, it's just not very good in my opinion. It's a work in progress - this map may require much time and discussion to come up with a system we like.
Captain oaktown

Postby rocky mountain on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:25 pm

i had some good criticism (i think) typed up but then my power went out and i lost it before posting it... i can't remember all what it was, but i'll try again here...
what are the stars for?
Anaheim is quite a big terit. maybe cut it off around the highway and make it two instead? it looks kinda weird...
are disney land, the compton spire thingys and the miracle mile sign going to be incorparated into the gameplay somehow?
how exactly will the freeways work? can Santa Monica attack Pomona?
i think downtown should have its own bonus because practically all the freeways go through it, so it could be attacked by many places, and attack many places itself. if you do that, then make it neutral.
O.C. should be way more than just +3!
practically all the bonuses should be higher if any freeway terit can attack any other freeway terit...
make holly wood part of the map. have each continent have a landmark, tourist attraction (you have 3 already) and have a bonus for having all of them.
here is my freeway idea: have only certain terits that can be attacked/bombarded along the freeway, shown by exits going off of the freeways. or maybe make it so that the terits with freeways on them can attack 3 teritorries away from it as long as its along the freeway as well.
i must leave now. good luck and happy map making! :D
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Postby mikeyfranz on Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:24 pm

I really like what you've got so far, and I love the concept. I wouldn't be afraid to break the neighborhoods down even further. Los Angeles is a huge city with a lot of neighborhoods, and this should be reflected in the map. I think the map to model this one after is the NYC map. I think the gameplay of that map is great, it does a great job of depicting the actual NYC geography, and it incorporates the subway system wonderfully. I think you should choose a few of the better known and larger freeway exits, and make those individual terretories in themselves, then each freeway can also function as a potential bonus if you occupy all of it's exits (just like NYC does with the freeway system).

Good luck, and I'll keep checking in on it. I really do like what I see so far.
Colonel mikeyfranz

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:53 am

oaktown we looking to get this one moving again?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby oaktown on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:57 am

gimil wrote:oaktown we looking to get this one moving again?

feel free to unsticky it... I've actually reworked the gameplay complete in my head, but as everybody has probably noticed I haven't been very present lately. After this weekend, though, I'll catch up with everything! :)
Captain oaktown

Postby gimil on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:55 am

oaktown wrote:
gimil wrote:oaktown we looking to get this one moving again?

feel free to unsticky it... I've actually reworked the gameplay complete in my head, but as everybody has probably noticed I haven't been very present lately. After this weekend, though, I'll catch up with everything! :)

If thats what you want
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby oaktown on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:05 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Here's the gameplay reboot on this map, as promised. When I started this it was all regions, then people wanted freeways and we had a weird classic/rail hybrid. Now I'm going all freeways.

The idea is that you string bits of a freeway together to make your own bonuses. Any string of three gives you +1. A string of four gives you +2, etc. The beauty in this is that a string of four is basically two strings of three overlapping, so I don't have to get fancy with the code. There will be a lot of code, but it will be simple.

Right now there are 78 territories, but it's a mess and I'm thinking that I should remove a freeway or two - the first to go will be the 105, which shoots east-west just below the funny spiral towers in the center. It knocks us down to 74 territories, which is still pretty big!

Downtown obviously is too close together - I'll work on it - and we'll need to be strategic about where there are two adjacent sections of a freeway without an interchange between them, as this will be the key to getting early bonuses.

And yes, the mountains still suck. The graphics reboot will come later.

So, does this look playable??
Captain oaktown

Re: Los Angeles - gameplay reboot pg 6

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:53 pm

It looks like you ripped the cool part of the map (the continents) out in favor of overdoing a good twist to the gameplay. I don't like this iteration at all frankly, and would not enjoy playing it.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby fireedud on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:01 pm

TaCktiX wrote:It looks like you ripped the cool part of the map (the continents) out in favor of overdoing a good twist to the gameplay. I don't like this iteration at all frankly, and would not enjoy playing it.

I agree.

F.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:25 pm

TaCktiX wrote:It looks like you ripped the cool part of the map (the continents) out in favor of overdoing a good twist to the gameplay. I don't like this iteration at all frankly, and would not enjoy playing it.

QFT on that. Sorry, Oak.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby seamusk on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:13 am

I hate to join the negative chorus but highways just aren't appealing to me. As links between territories they are interesting, but I really think they should be in limited doses. That said, everyone seems to love the USA region maps whcih emphasize highways and which I find boring so take what I say with a grain of salt (as if you don't anyhow).
Major seamusk

Postby oaktown on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:38 am

it's alright - you can't win them all!

I actually think that the game play above would make for great play, but perhaps this isn't the right project to apply it to. It might work better for that London Underground map that everybody keeps talking about making.

I'm going to put this one back in the can for a while... my other project is looking better anyway.
Captain oaktown

Postby decoulombe on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:48 am

Folks,

If you need any help on the mechanics of LA, feel free to PM me. I have a good knowledge of LA including freeways, traffic, airports, subways, metrolink, cities, and landmarks. Besides, I live there...lol, and can help you get any information you want.

Decoulombe
"You can't rule the world in hiding. You've got to come out on the balcony sometime and wave a tentacle"
Cook decoulombe

Postby mibi on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:25 am

wtf... if I wanted to spend all day on the highway I would drive downtown and back.

you should look to the NYC map for a good use of mixed gameplay.
Captain mibi

Postby decoulombe on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Just a suggestion,

And yes, I agree Los Angeles is not all about freeways.
"You can't rule the world in hiding. You've got to come out on the balcony sometime and wave a tentacle"
Cook decoulombe

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:53 pm

Wow - I think Oak just got ripped a new one!!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: Los Angeles [shelved for now]

Postby Incandenza on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:07 pm

Hmmm, been far too long since I poked my nose in here...

I think the concept of turning the whole bloody thing into a freeway map could work, but I can see how people might not be sold on the current rail-like implementation.

I still think that a whole circus-maximus-on-crystal-meth concept could work, especially if all terits are going to be freeways (have north and south lanes, one-way attacks, interchanges become that much more important, perhaps the interchanges could have small respawning neutrals to keep the gridlock down, maybe try and incorporate a "carpool lane" concept into the 110 and 105, or conversely add the metrolink trains that run down the middle of those freeways). Y'know, make it more freeway-ish than it currently is.

Hope you come back to the project soon.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Re: [Abandoned] - Los Angeles

Postby decoulombe on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:20 pm

Nobody has been here for years. Anyone still interested in creating this map?
Cook decoulombe

Postby Seamus76 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:36 pm

decoulombe wrote:Nobody has been here for years. Anyone still interested in creating this map?

Lol, not me, sorry. There are some other really good maps in the foundry that could use your valued feedback though. Three Kingdoms of China, Tribal War - Ancient Israel, Alamo, any of Cairns or Koontz, etc. just to name a couple.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:59 am

I like this one, should be a relatively simple map to make. If no one else takes it up, I might use this for my summer project.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:02 am

Not me... :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby decoulombe on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:55 am

I am in. I will give some feedback on the others though. I have a heart to ressurect Los Angeles as it is my city and like to see it placed on.

koontz1973 wrote:I like this one, should be a relatively simple map to make. If no one else takes it up, I might use this for my summer project.
Cook decoulombe

Postby decoulombe on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:47 pm

OK, in two and a half years, no one has touched this. May I have permission to resurrect this idea?
Cook decoulombe

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:52 am

decoulombe wrote:OK, in two and a half years, no one has touched this. May I have permission to resurrect this idea?

I think you would need permission from oaktown, which likely means you need a means of contact outside CC. Or you could go and start your own version of an LA map. I'd choose the latter.
Sergeant iAmCaffeine

Previous

Return to Recycling Box