Conquer Club

Questions for SoC Advisers

The SoC Training Academy and its Training Grounds provide basic training for new and old members looking to enhance their game strategy. "Train a Cook today, lose to a Sergeant tomorrow"

Moderator: Academy Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Questions for SoC Advisers

Postby Kragomac on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Thank you. I did not know if there was a level I was missing.
Cook Kragomac

Postby sm8900 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:39 am

hi there. can anyone provide any advice or pointers for any of the games which I am in? thanks!! :-)
Private sm8900

Postby dhallmeyer on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:06 am

Sorry, but we don't help people on those maps. You are welcome to go through our training program on the classic map. We'll teach you the basic principles that you can take to almost any map and setting later.

viewtopic.php?f=341&t=199214
Lieutenant dhallmeyer
Senior SoC Training Instructor

Postby sm8900 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:34 am

hm, ok. thanks.
Private sm8900

Postby Viceroy63 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:51 am

sm8900 wrote:hi there. can anyone provide any advice or pointers for any of the games which I am in? thanks!! :-)

You can probably find a "Mentor" in the "Mentoring Pilot Program" in the Strategy Forums. But it will most likely be an exhaustive search as there are probably more people looking for mentors than those actually willing to mentor. And not everyone is proficient in every map strategy. The link is below if you want to try it...

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23562
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby legion of boom on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:21 am

Hi, I have a question around the "strategy of the stacks". I'm playing a game with 3 other people at the moment and have a slight advantage over the other 3 in terms of troops numbers and the fact I have bigger stacks (about 20-25 troop adv). However none of the other 3 players are particularly weak in terms of there stacks and they all have high ranks so as a new player I'm fairly wary, my questions are:

1) What factors go into making the decision on whether to attack or not
2) Should I only attack if I can eliminate a player completely and how does one mitigate the problem of potentially expending so many troops on eliminating a player to then fall behind the other players (even if you do pickup 2 or 3 bonus cards)
3) Or should I chip away at one player enough so that the others can't eliminate him up until the point where I can
4) In a game where there are other strong stacks like mine should I chip away at all players rather than just 1 so they all get weakened and none then benefit from me expending a load of troops until the point where I can "safely" eliminate a player.

Thanks for any advice or if there is another thread discussing this topic please point me to it!
Sergeant 1st Class legion of boom

Postby Koganosi on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:37 am

legion of boom wrote:Hi, I have a question around the "strategy of the stacks". I'm playing a game with 3 other people at the moment and have a slight advantage over the other 3 in terms of troops numbers and the fact I have bigger stacks (about 20-25 troop adv). However none of the other 3 players are particularly weak in terms of there stacks and they all have high ranks so as a new player I'm fairly wary, my questions are:

1) What factors go into making the decision on whether to attack or not
2) Should I only attack if I can eliminate a player completely and how does one mitigate the problem of potentially expending so many troops on eliminating a player to then fall behind the other players (even if you do pickup 2 or 3 bonus cards)
3) Or should I chip away at one player enough so that the others can't eliminate him up until the point where I can
4) In a game where there are other strong stacks like mine should I chip away at all players rather than just 1 so they all get weakened and none then benefit from me expending a load of troops until the point where I can "safely" eliminate a player.

Thanks for any advice or if there is another thread discussing this topic please point me to it!

How much are you ahead in troops due, what setting is it, escalating, trench, no spoils, standard. Is it played with fog of war or not (seeing your story probably not). All are factors you need to consider, are those guys typing in chat about atacking you, or are they just leaving you alone for now!

So I can only give an answer in general. Kill people for their cards, but only when you normally get the same troops back with the cards you get. If you are ahead, try to slowly stack first and expand a bit later. Dont totally focus on one person since that normally makes him weak and others could potentialy take his/her cards, but the others also can target you hard!

Urs

Koganosi
Major Koganosi

Postby legion of boom on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:51 am

Thanks, sorry probably should have posted more detail its game Game 14614600

Me: 77 (5 cards)

Others: 48(3), 70(3), 45(5)

Escalating and no fog.

Ok so it sounds like in these situations to nip at each one until I can safely kill one and gain a real advantage from it?
Sergeant 1st Class legion of boom

Postby Koganosi on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:47 am

legion of boom wrote:Thanks, sorry probably should have posted more detail its game 14614600

Me: 77 (5 cards)

Others: 48(3), 70(3), 45(5)

Escalating and no fog.

Ok so it sounds like in these situations to nip at each one until I can safely kill one and gain a real advantage from it?

If this was the starting turn, depending on the value of sets you could have easily taken out the guy with 5 cards and get his cards and a few new sets.

Urs

Koganosi
Major Koganosi

Postby dhallmeyer on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:31 pm

Continue building your stacks and grabbing easy cards until an opportunity comes to kill someone. Be aware of the 1's. Use them to block other players if you can, and try to not block yourself. Also watch out for your smaller stacks; if someone feels threatened, they may hit one of those to make your task harder. You're in good shape here, just manage it until things line up.
Lieutenant dhallmeyer

Postby corinthmarine on Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:30 am

I went on vacation, was away from internet, for that period of time. When I returned I had missed the deadline for responding to the roll call for training field 7. Can anyone tell me what my options are? Do I have to start over? Are is there someway to be reinstated.
Thanks for your help: corinthmarine
Major corinthmarine

Postby tamaynet on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:23 am

It appears that you are still in TF7. Is there still a problem?
Lieutenant tamaynet
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Postby Kerry23 on Tue May 05, 2015 4:12 am

Thanks for informative post!
New Recruit Kerry23

Postby jgordon1111 on Sun May 01, 2016 10:37 pm

I was away for a while, this might already be answered somewhere else but, is there advanced training for other maps other than classic? And if so point me to it, alot of new maps and settings that wasn't here when i left
Private jgordon1111

Postby Silly Knig-it on Mon May 02, 2016 1:22 am

So far as I know, through the SoC, the only other training you could take would be 'Team Training". Look for the link on the main SoC page, that talks about the next group starting. Oh, you could also sign up for instructor training.

But as to the main gist of your question, the only training I know of on other maps comes from playing them. Or from your clan. There are also strategy guides for some of the maps.

I think a great way to learn is to play lots of tournaments. You get pushed into playing things you might not otherwise have tried and some of them you will like.

Hope this at least answers part of your question.
Major Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby jgordon1111 on Mon May 02, 2016 8:51 am

Thanks for the response silly k , I will think about it
Private jgordon1111

Postby dhallmeyer on Mon May 02, 2016 1:28 pm

If you complete the graduation process, we have a grads forum where we can work through detailed situations and different maps if you want.
Lieutenant dhallmeyer

How does one fight a "Bonus Monkey"?

Postby bobbythomson on Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:25 am

It seems in some of the SOC games I have played and other escalating terminator ones as well that the bonus monkey gets the upper hand when no one challenges his bonuses. How do you recommend fighting the bonus monkey? Just let them get the bonus or trying to break it (which seems to make one a monkey of your own)?

bobbythomson
Sergeant 1st Class bobbythomson

Re: How does one fight a "Bonus Monkey"?

Postby tamaynet on Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:31 am

bobbythomson wrote:It seems in some of the SOC games I have played and other escalating terminator ones as well that the bonus monkey gets the upper hand when no one challenges his bonuses. How do you recommend fighting the bonus monkey? Just let them get the bonus or trying to break it (which seems to make one a monkey of your own)?

bobbythomson

I recommend one of 2 ways to counter this approach depending on the strength of your opponent.
The first way if he is not too strong would be to position yourself to make it as difficult as possible for him to take spoils (without weakening yourself too much)
The second way would be to keep away from him as much as possible and keep spoiling until the spoils come into play. (you also need to be cautious about his access to other opponents who may be weak who the bm may be able to eliminate)
Lieutenant tamaynet
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Postby bobbythomson on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:14 am

Hi T - this is a recurring theme in my games. Here is a real game situation https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=16724949
Can you help me understand how you would apply your ideas to this game? It irks me to let the bonus seekers just continue to keep building more troops but I also understand fighting for those continents only weakens me. As you see, this is an early round - the continents were seized quickly (thats the strategy I see) and it will take a while to get enough spoils to matter. bobbythomson

Postby tamaynet on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:54 am

bobbythomson wrote:Hi T - this is a recurring theme in my games. Here is a real game situation https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=16724949
Can you help me understand how you would apply your ideas to this game? It irks me to let the bonus seekers just continue to keep building more troops but I also understand fighting for those continents only weakens me. As you see, this is an early round - the continents were seized quickly (thats the strategy I see) and it will take a while to get enough spoils to matter. bobbythomson

Bobby,
In this game, cyan and pink are the BM's and yellow is weakest. Neither cyan nor pink have access to all of yellow's territories. My approach would be to maintain access to all of yellow's territories while blocking pink and cyan. Be careful to allow yellow to have a card trading spot as you want him to have a lot of spoils so you can take them.
Hope this is helpful.
Lieutenant tamaynet
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Postby bobbythomson on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:12 pm

Yes, thanks, I think this will help

Postby Silly Knig-it on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:26 pm

I know it seems like they will run away with the game before you have a chance to play. But trust in seperated and strong stacks and you will find that you will win.

They will weaken themselves, decide to go after each other because you are hard to get (seperated and strong) and all of a sudden you sneak in the back door. I can't tell you how many games I have been the weakest one on the board, but as tam said, I stayed in contact with who I needed to and suddenly I am the only color left. And I never held a bonus.

But trusting the system will only come from playing and winning. Again as tam suggested, think strategically. Leave a card spot, think about who is going to cash and where do you want them to cash (maybe you take out a strategic tert), sometimes cash early because you look too tasty to everyone else, so you make yourself less attractive.
Major Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby dhallmeyer on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:48 am

Also, remember the law of averages. Even the best of us only win 1/4 of 6 player games.
Lieutenant dhallmeyer

PreviousNext

Return to SoC Training Grounds