Conquer Club

Important Principles to Communicate in Team Games

The SoC Training Academy and its Training Grounds provide basic training for new and old members looking to enhance their game strategy. "Train a Cook today, lose to a Sergeant tomorrow"

Moderator: Academy Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Viceroy63 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:49 pm

By Viceroy63

Communication! It is the very mechanism that shapes our destinies and builds our future. It is the thing that provides hope even when in the pit of despair. Turning losers into winners and even heals when there is but hurt. No Politician would be in office without proper communication and any marriage would simply end in divorce without it. Communication makes strong family ties and true friends even out of enemies.

It makes a super computer out of several computers and in fact is responsible for many of the functions and operations which we see all around us on a daily basis. No business or industry can survive and prosper without it and in Conquer Club it is the most important thing to a successful, winning team game.

This article is about COMMUNICATION! Right, Proper and Correct, COMMUNICATION.

Communication is simply the transference of vitally important and pertinent information in a timely fashion, which is needed in order to perform the function or achieve an intended goal. All education and all of life is dependent on Communication for the simple goal among many, of improvement and growth.

But there is also a wrong, improper and incorrect form of Communication which tends to miss the intended mark or goal much more often then people realize. This form of Communication tends to tear down rather than build up. And sometimes we are not even aware that we are even doing it. And sometimes, No communication at all could be even worse than wrong communication.

In Conquer Club team games, it is this thing called, "Communication," which for the most part determines who wins and who loses competitive games. Of course other aspects of Communication is rightly understanding, discerning and applying the information in the communication but if the communication is correct to begin with then the rest fairs out better on it's own.

Communications is not just a tool for learning but for insuring that all of the team members are on the same page when it comes to team goals and objectives. In team games we are all students and we are all teachers if we want to win and are communicating from an established base of strategic guidelines and Principles.

What makes for Proper, Right and Correct Communication between team members? The Goal and objectives. Obviously I am not talking here about just winning the game but how best that this goal is accomplished. If there is a set of strategic guides of importance, then this is what the communications should be all about.

As it happens there is such an established and proven set of strategic guide lines and principles to seriously consider when forming any plan or strategy in team games. They are...

Established and Proven Strategical Guidelines.

The 1st four are Bruceswar's priorities in order:
1- break bonuses
2- break populations to below 12 to break population bonuses
3- take your own bonuses
4- eliminate a player
These 4 subject to the facts-on-the -ground when the beginning game-drop is first seen.

Other tactics:
5- fort to the person who follows you if possible
6- separate the enemy players
7-try to always attack since [if] it is a one doubles team v one doubles team game in essence (except in 3 and 4 team games)
8- attack with 4's or better (unless 3v1 sometimes to break a bonus), leave no attackable singles, snatch up unprotected singles

9 A concept to consider is that you should preferentially attack the player who comes immediately after you. (Try to maintain contact with that player's countries/regions, try to avoid contact with the countries of the player before you, and keep away from your team mates the countries that come immediately before them.)

The game is about the team. At any time any or all of my pieces or bonuses may be sacrificed to gain a significant advantage such as enabling the killing 2 of the enemy players or gaining a dominant position (We've seen partners who didn't understand that concept.)

- emelar
viewtopic.php?f=341&t=167163

[Viceroy63]
I could go into exacting details of every single one of these nine points but I wont. The only point that I want to make is not what strategy should be used to win the game, but how best to accomplish that goal by complying with these nine strategical guidelines. Any other form of communication that deviates from these guidelines in an attempt to win the game, is simply a waste of words.

Remember that strategy is part creativity, but just as you would need the brush to paint great works of creative art, you also need the communication of guiding principles in order to be successful in your creation of a winning strategy.
Last edited by Viceroy63 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Re: Important Principles to Communicate in Team Games

Postby Viceroy63 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:44 pm

If you have read this article above and agree with it and would like to form a team with me; Please, either PM me or leave a comment below and I will contact you when I am ready to form an SoC team of our own.

Unlike the SoC Team Training Program, we will not have access to a private forum our own, so the Game Chat and PM (Private Messages) will be our principle mode of communication. Primarily the PM. If you are the type of person that does not like to read or receive too many PM's in your inbox, or partake in the strategy discussions But just want to play the game and be done with it, then I implore you, please, don't sign up. ONLY those individuals who enjoy communicating their thoughts and ideas in creating strategy need apply.

A winning team can be form from this group but the willingness to participate in Strategy Discussions is a must requirement. Also any Adviser's who would enjoy the challenge of heading up a team as well, are most gratefully and appreciatively welcomed to join in or just participate as a regular student/teacher in any teams formed from this thread.

Also please feel free to contact the other people who have left comments here to form a team of your own based on the knowledge/wisdom of the guiding principles mentioned in the above article in the OP (Original Post). So sign up and let others know that you are interested as well in forming a winning team. And I would just like to encourage doubles team to begin with then add a third player and gradually build up your team into a Quadruples Team.

Thank you; That is all for now.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby sgfried on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:10 pm

you talk about right and wrong communication and what each can lead to, but what exactly is right or wrong communication? What does it look like, or sound like? Give examples.

you start off talking about communication, then goals/strategy, then you get specific with tactics. Then you finish with you also need for communication of guiding principles in order to be successful in your creation of a winning strategy.

While I understood each section. This, in my humble opinion is not an article on communication. It seems the main point is your 9 points needed to win a game.

that being said, I am a believer in that a team must have the same goal with similar view points on how to achieve said goal. And that creativity is also realizing when it is best to color "outside" the 9 principles for a bit. However, that being said, I think your principles are sound and should be the mainstay of any partnership if they intend to win/flourish.
Captain sgfried

Postby Viceroy63 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:24 pm

I guess that an example of wrong communication can be when the opposing team has just establish a BZ (Bonus Zone) on which they stand to earn extra troops for it on their next turn and some one suggest, "What if we focus on building our own BZ instead of trying to knock down the opposing BZ.

Not that it is a completely wrong way of communication and in fact can be consider a form of strategy, especially when the BZ that you want to build would earn more troops than the opposing teams BZ but avoids the issue of the opposing BZ. Any strategy that allows the opposing BZ to gain their extra troops also allows them the advantage of the first strike. And while you can not see all of those extra troops on the board they are there as if laying in secret and the damage will be plentiful when they come to life on that turn.

The war must be fought some where so why not in the process of breaking a BZ and consequently eliminating potential troops that will just never get the chance to do any damage by Breaking that BZ instead of trying to build one of your own. In a situation where you ignore the issue of the opposing BZ you give them the opportunity to do more damage to your attempts to build a BZ and possibly the advantage in the game.

Attempting to build a BZ as a diversionary tactic to breaking a BZ that can not be broken right away is feasible but the underlying understanding in suggesting to build a BZ should be with the ultimate goal of breaking an opposing BZ that can not be broken right away. That would then be correct and proper communication. But to build when you have an opportunity to break is bad information and communication.

For team members to argue over which is right and which is wrong is self destructive to the team. It is always easier to destroy then to build and the team that can do the most damage is the team that can do the most damage, more efficiently. And the team that can do that is almost always the winner. That is why Breaking a BZ is in the number 1 position and building a BZ is in the number 3 position.

While there are always exceptions to any rule, these are the priorities for a reason. And while circumstances can dictate the priorities listed into a different order, for the most part this is where the order of the Priorities should always lie in. Number 3 and 4 are so close together that they can be interchangeable But these are the plans and the why's a plan should be considered.

If you have the opportunity to form a BZ or to eliminate an opposing player, which should be considered more important? That would depend on the individual game situation. That is the whole point to right communication. But when an opportunity to break an opposing BZ is before one and there is no reason not to break it, then the right and proper communication should be how best to break that BZ and not, whether or not the opposing BZ should be broken in view of forming your own BZ.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby tamaynet on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 pm

I just have a simple question:
Are there correct and incorrect methods and/or topics of communication between teams?
Lieutenant tamaynet
SoC Training Instructor
SoC Training Instructor

Postby Koganosi on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:12 am

tamaynet wrote:I just have a simple question:
Are there correct and incorrect methods and/or topics of communication between teams?

Stay polite? Idea's are generally idea's everyone has them and people tend to not always agree on eachother idea's. For instance if my teammate has a different idea about my turn then me. We should have to discuss it. And try to convince one of both of us to follow one of our plans, or might come up with a different strategy at all. Thats the hole point and sometimes the fun of team games. If you play with others you might also learn stuff from there caus of there idea's and use the idea on another game maybe! Thats always why I find it pleasent to play them. This though means if you play teamgames its nice to check them a few times a day so you can keep loads of communication up, instead of checking only when its your turn.

Next if you dont know exactly what to do on your turn, there also comes your teammate in play. You can ask him for an idea. He might be able to help you with it and give you an idea what to do or even a full turn plan.

And like I mentioned before here stay polite, swearing at eachother wont help you 2-3-4 guys playing a teamgame. Wont generally bond you as a team :)!

The op's post I wanne react on.
The 1st four are Bruceswar's priorities in order:
1- break bonuses
2- break populations to below 12 to break population bonuses
3- take your own bonuses
4- eliminate a player
These 4 subject to the facts-on-the -ground when the beginning game-drop is first seen.

Point 2: While I agree on this point I might wanne add something about it. If your playing on a large map like World 2.1 or Hive. It might is sometimes better to take point 3 more in account then bringing them below 12. Though its always nice to bring their population bonuses down, it might take you a long while to get to the point of 12 on that map, you basicly won by then I quess. So on large maps you might value 3 over 2 sometimes.

Urs

Koganosi
Major Koganosi

Postby Chenko21 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:48 pm

I recently played in a couple of team games where there was only partial or no communication at all from my team, which of course led to our demise. A win would have been a big point score, (we were playing against generals), and it was frustrating when your team doesn't even look at the chat... well that is how it appeared.

So, in light of this post, I would be most happy to join some team games with people who want to work as a team... please invite me!

Chenko21
Lieutenant Chenko21

Postby Viceroy63 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:40 pm

tamaynet wrote:I just have a simple question:

I think so; While everyone may have an opinion or strategy, not every strategy is the best. But arguing over the strategy to use or debating it is the point of the discussions in Team Chat. So if a discussion is pointing out the objectives being served in the strategy or several objectives being served in the strategy then that is the correct way to discuss the point of the strategy by reminding everyone of the points of the plan. The nine objectives.

I also think that there always comes a point when the main points must be thrown out the window along with the bath water (LOL) But those are to be held in reserves for desperate situations. Otherwise I feel that any strategy discussions that does not follow the main points are bad communications. We certainly want to unite the team, even if it's behind a weak plan because a united "weak" plan is stronger than no plan at all.

It's like in Chess. There are three principles to opening games. It matters not what strategy you use, The Queens Gambit Opening or the English Opening or what ever opening you like, the observation of these principles is paramount. The Principles are; Central Control (of the game Board), Piece Placement and King safety. Now I am not going to go into those principles here but if we have a move that serves all three of these principles then that move is far better than a move that only serves just one of these principles or none at all.

The same is true here. It doesn't matter how the objectives are met, by which route or regions but that it should be the best and that is what our discussions should lead us to. Not simply, "They got a BZ, we should work on building ours as well?" It's to easy to persuade the individual team members with "No points logic" But mentioning the original points is what keeps us on track and in correct and proper communications in the creation of the over all strategy, what ever the team decides that should be.

And BTW: I see four people here posting so far. How's that sound for a team? Let me know in PM for the team of...

sgfried
tamaynet
Koganos
Chenko21
Last edited by Viceroy63 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 14 times in total.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby Koganosi on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:56 am

Viceroy63 wrote:And BTW: I see four people here posting so far. How's that sound for a team? Let me know in PM for the team of...

sgfried
tamaynet
Koganos
Chenko21

If one of you are not interested then I would step in. Otherwise I would mentor with PM to the team on my thoughts and evaluations and you can then take it from there. I would drop by in the game from time to time to share my thoughts or reviews. And I could also form another team for myself by choosing three from this list.

Remember; No Fog setting so I can see the game.

See PM.

Urs

Koganosi
Major Koganosi

Postby Kaie Edana on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:39 pm

I must admit first that I have not finished reading this post. It's nearly midnight and I am quite tired. I did however browse through... and I am loving what I see! I can't wait to read it tomorrow.

Kaie
Cook Kaie Edana

Postby ebt1972 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Not one single comment about food? Crap. no wonder i suck in team games... ;)
Sergeant 1st Class ebt1972

Postby Viceroy63 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:21 pm

ebt1972 wrote:Not one single comment about food? Crap. no wonder i suck in team games... ;)

Team games are about the formation of a single mind out of 2, 3 or 4 minds. That's is why there are guiding principles. Unfortunately, the only prinicple that food plays, is in the celebration Victory Party afterwards. lol. =)
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby Kaie Edana on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:45 am

Food? YES!!! you must eat to have full cognitive function, and thus be able to properly communicate with your team! However moderation is always key.

Now, about communication.... I have been playing CC for about 3 years now, perhaps four. I actually quit a while back, came back and ended up deleting a previous account as I had formed some fairly bad enemies. I had not done this intentional however. I merely filled out the check boxes and gave grades after the a game that angered people. At that time I rarely gave a full 5 star grade unless I felt the player had played exceptionally well, or had been an exceptional sport. I feel every person can improve, and thus, I gained enemies.

When contacted by these individuals I explained myself and in some cases changed my scoring, but most of the time I was met with hostility and rudeness. I started getting attacked on my wall and in live chat. Finally I quit. I came back because, even though I am not a very good player myself, I enjoyed the game and the community. I love team games, however I do not enjoy the fact that when I play them, my teammates rarely discuss things with me, and we lose even when I am doing the best I can. Granted I may be messing up the play as well, but how can be the team mate that is needed when I don't know what my team mate needs!

I think the simplicity of Viceroys Established and proven Strategical Guidelines is implacable. He has clearly thought it out, or gotten advice from others, and if followed these guidelines should start turning a losing team or a losing player into a winning one.

However... he for got guideline number 10.... Have fun.

Without having fun, there is no point to even trying to play the game! and thus will cripple even a winning team combination. There is way to much hurry and scurry, stress and anxiety in the world. Our reason for being here should not only be to win, to form a team of communicators, but to have fun and spread the seeds of glee to each other. Perhaps I am way off the mark, but that for me, is one of the reasons I keep coming back. I try to train my brain to be strategic, and I enjoy myself. The thrill of the win, even if I am defeated, keeps me coming back and enjoying the game over a very large cup of something warm to drink.

I can't say I have question at this present time. Hopefully that is not a disappointment!

Thanks for the read, Viceroy. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I
Cook Kaie Edana

Postby Viceroy63 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks for reading this thread and commenting, Kaie. Actually these are not my guidelines but I hold them whole heartedly. Especially number 5...

"5- fort to the person who follows you if possible"

Especially when building up to an attack. If an attack can be made more successfull by allowing the next player to take the troops, that player then adds to that army and takes charge of the same attack accomplishing the same objectives, with greater results; Then that is definitely the way to go.

Of course there are always "exceptions to the rule," such as when an attack is crucial for the purpose of eliminating a player before his team mates can pile up troops on him making it harder to eliminate that player. Then it's subject to team discussuion.

But that is the whole point of it all. To discuss the move before doing it rather than to give a sort of explanation afterwards or make a last minute decision on your own, that the team was not involved in making. Then it's not really team play' Is it? It's more like Michael Jordan Basket Ball then! "Everyone pass to MJ! He's the team." lol.

Sorry; Just had to clarify that since I went into that example about the guidelines. But I also agree that there are other guidelines that make for good team work that are not listed and I now change my standing on food. You can not play well on an empty stomach or a sleep depraved mind. =) lol. So now I will incude....

10). Eat well, before login on. And...
11). Get a good nights rest before reading the team Chat Log.
:lol:

In the end the whole point of Team Games is the creation of a single mind out of two or more minds. And this simply can not be done while there is no or little understanding, as to why these Principles exist in the first place and in the order that they do. Understanding and abiding by those principles (Except for when deviations from some are necessary to fulfill a greater principle), is what makes for a single team mind and a good team.

And that is what our communications need to be clarifying on all the time. how to best reach or comply with as many of these principles as possible and when to deviate from them should the time come to do so. And to communicate this before you actually play giving all members of the team time to add input of their own. That's what makes for a good team and a good team win.
show
Major Viceroy63

Return to SoC Training Grounds