Conquer Club

Europe 1914 - Strategy Discussion

The SoC Training Academy and its Training Grounds provide basic training for new and old members looking to enhance their game strategy. "Train a Cook today, lose to a Sergeant tomorrow"

Moderator: Academy Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Europe 1914 - Strategy Discussion

Postby Macewg on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 pm

The purpose of a strategy discussion is to share information offering a few tips to increase your chances of being successful based on the map's features or instructions with an analysis offered to help you orient quicker so you can conquer your opponents.

The Europe 1914 Map key to victory is obtaining and holding the "Central Powers" which are made up of four (4) territories (Berlin, Vienna, Constantinople, and Sofia). Your chances of winning increase significantly if you put all your focus on conquering and holding the "Central Powers" under any game type variation. This is the equivalent to a knock-out punch in boxing if your opponents are not reading the instructions to the map or focusing on this offered strategy. By simply holding these four (4) territories for one (1) round without losing one (1) of the four (4) territories - you win the game automatically! It is highly recommended that you choose to focus on holding the "Central Powers" over the "Entente Powers" because statistically speaking, there are less territories geographically between the "Central Powers" when compared to the "Entente Powers" (St. Petersburg, Paris, London and Rome) when you consider the amount of ground to cover in order to obtain these locations. Also, this recommended strategy affords a plan B in the event you are pushed out of the central regions of Europe you can discreetly adjust the strategy to then re-focus on the "Entente Powers" which are on the outskirts of the map while everyone else is fighting in the center of the board. This is the quickest way to victory!

Should the battle drag on into a never-ending bout, you are encouraged to consider obtaining and holding the "France" (dark blue) bonus region as it has among the highest payoff of troops (5) with among the lowest amount of risk to defend with quick access to many ways of adjusting your strategy should you encounter bad rolls, an irrational opponent or the need to be flexible for any reason by allowing passages into the center of the map or to the outskirts of the map. The "Balkan States" (orange) is the least recommended bonus region to attempt to obtain or hold as there are too many territories in this region to defend borders against (among the highest) with only three (3) troops of payoff for all your laboring. If you cannot obtain the "France" regional bonus, then "Germany Empire" and "Austro-Hungarian Empire" are the next best values to seek out in that order followed by the "Russian Empire", "United Kingdom", "Italian Kingdom", "Ottoman Empire" in that specific order when considering overall value of risk to reward opportunities. Based on your initial placement, adjust your strategy accordingly.

The "Cyprus British Base" territory is a dead-end location which only connects to "Greece" in the "Balkan States". If you own this territory after initial placement, it is advisable to go after the "United Kingdom" bonus region (light blue) instead of the "Russian Empire" as the fourth best value overall in the pecking order described above. It is not recommended to spend significant time or troops trying to obtain this "British Base" territory should you already have the "United Kingdom" as it may be riskier and inefficient for your game to travel across the map expending valuable resources that should be used trying to secure one of the two (2) "Powers" instead. If the "British Base" is nearby and you have the "United Kingdom" securing it with your bonus increases your value by 10%. Conversely, if your opponent has the "United Kingdom" bonus, it is worth checking to ensure they don't have the "Cyprus British Base" as it decreases their chances of winning by 10% if you can take it out with nearby troops. Lastly, there are five (5) territories that are connection points or "Seas" (Baltic, North, Bay of Biscayne, Mediterannean, and Black) which don't count towards any bonuses, but could be utilized strategically to defend bonuses or control the flow of the war so use them accordingly. We hope you found this strategy discussion helpful and good-luck in conquering all!
May the Force Be with You
Captain Macewg

Re: Europe 1914 - Strategy Discussion

Postby Donelladan on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:35 am

I think you are making a mistake if you try to take the objective in any kind of game type.
In 1vs1 or poly, or 2 team games, you shouldn't bother going to the objective, you should be focused on bonus.
In 1vs1 you start with 15 regions, so your first move should always be to take one region from your opponent to put him at 14 regions.
Then keep focusing on keeping opponent's region count low while taking bonus.

If you try taking the objective ( central or entente), while your opponent take a bonus, he'll then easily break you with the troops he'll deploy from his bonus.
Only if it is trench should you consider trying a victory through objective, but even then, usually you take a bonus first.

Or, in multiplayer fog game, then you may try to steal the victory through objectives while your opponents fight over bonuses.
Note, this is valid for almost all maps with objectives, you don't try to go to objective early in the game, you always start with bonus, ( exception for some specific map and setting only)

Concerning the bonus ( your 2nd paragraph), it's right that France is one of the best. But then after France, Austro Hungarian, Germany and Russian are usually not the one you should try as they are way too difficult to hold because they have way too many border.
Ottoman Empire, Italy, and UK are usually easier to take first.

When you analyze bonus, it is really important to consider if it is possible to defend them, or how long it is going to take you to take them.
Thus, Austro hungarian or germany are too difficult to defend most of the time. ( like Europe in classic)
And it takes way too long to take the Russian bonus ( also super difficult to defends). ( like Asia in classic)

On the other hand Ottoman Empire, Italy and UK are quite easy to defend, thus very interesting bonus to take because you might be able to keep them.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Macewg on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks for the insights Donelladan!
May the Force Be with You
Captain Macewg

Postby rockfist on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:40 am

I almost never see someone win by taking a bonus other than Ottoman, Italian, or (more rarely) England. I think I've seen France once or twice, but its a bonus one should only go for if the circumstances make it just right. Going for objectives in a 1v1, or even team 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 game is something I have yet to see work.

I like this board because you can win by securing bonuses, getting auto-deploys, or by eliminating a player.
Major rockfist

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:32 pm

rockfist wrote:Going for objectives in a 1v1, or even team 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 game is something I have yet to see work.

True enough, but in normal games (5 or more players) it happens fairly often.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby Donelladan on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:44 am

rockfist wrote:I almost never see someone win by taking a bonus other than Ottoman, Italian, or (more rarely) England. I think I've seen France once or twice, but its a bonus one should only go for if the circumstances make it just right. Going for objectives in a 1v1, or even team 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 game is something I have yet to see work.

I like this board because you can win by securing bonuses, getting auto-deploys, or by eliminating a player.

Which setting do you play ?
I have seen many people winning taking France in double trench and triple trench. More often I see people winning with France than with Italy I think.

Ottoman is 7 regions to take with 3 borders ( you might say 2 since sofia start neutral), France is 6 regions with 4 borders.
Ottoman looks easier but actually it isn't much easier to take Ottoman than France ( depending on drop obviously).
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Typhoon_SSN on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Yeah, France has a longer border length for you to concentrate forces and operate a breakthrough, and once you've broken through, there are less regions to seize. What's not to love?
New Recruit Typhoon_SSN

Postby rockfist on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:43 pm

Typhoon_SSN wrote:Yeah, France has a longer border length for you to concentrate forces and operate a breakthrough, and once you've broken through, there are less regions to seize. What's not to love?

You have one hour total on this site and zero games played. There are prodigies in this game, but Don and I have both probably spent an hour planning a turn on that board.

I rarely play trench on that board. Like it better non trench.
Major rockfist

Return to SoC Training Grounds