Conquer Club

Can't hold a rank

The SoC Training Academy and its Training Grounds provide basic training for new and old members looking to enhance their game strategy. "Train a Cook today, lose to a Sergeant tomorrow"

Moderator: Academy Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Can't hold a rank

Postby ConnorMooneyhan on Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:40 am

I've been able to reach Cadet and even Private occasionally, but I haven't been able to keep it for any length of time before falling back down to Cook. Any tips on keeping a rank once you get it? Thanks!
Cook ConnorMooneyhan

Re: Can't hold a rank

Postby dhallmeyer on Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:57 am

In my experience, game selection has a lot to do with it. What kind of games are you playing? Who are you playing against? What's your win % in those games?
Lieutenant dhallmeyer
Senior SoC Training Instructor
Senior SoC Training Instructor

Postby Shannon Apple on Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:36 am

I took a look at one of your 1v1 classic games and saw a couple of things. A couple of tips based on that one game:

Don't take neutrals unless you absolutely have no choice. Like, if you have 3 regions in australia and taking the 1 neutral gives you the bonus, do that, but otherwise, leave them alone. Kill your opponent instead.

Don't go for large bonuses at the beginning, you'll never keep them, and even more crucially, don't take neutrals in order to take large bonuses. While you're trying to hold North America or Europe, your opponent has already achieved their smaller bonuses and is sweeping the map while keeping your bonus broken. You might get lucky against them with the dice and keep it for one round, but at that point, you're just playing the luck game.
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ConnorMooneyhan on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:31 pm

dhallmeyer wrote:In my experience, game selection has a lot to do with it. What kind of games are you playing? Who are you playing against? What's your win % in those games?

I've been playing larger games recently. My overall win percentage is 22% and I typically play with either flat rate or escalating spoils on whatever maps people are playing. I don't typically do assassin, terminator, etc, I try to stick to the basic stuff.
Cook ConnorMooneyhan

Postby ConnorMooneyhan on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:32 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:I took a look at one of your 1v1 classic games and saw a couple of things. A couple of tips based on that one game:

Don't take neutrals unless you absolutely have no choice. Like, if you have 3 regions in australia and taking the 1 neutral gives you the bonus, do that, but otherwise, leave them alone. Kill your opponent instead.

Don't go for large bonuses at the beginning, you'll never keep them, and even more crucially, don't take neutrals in order to take large bonuses. While you're trying to hold North America or Europe, your opponent has already achieved their smaller bonuses and is sweeping the map while keeping your bonus broken. You might get lucky against them with the dice and keep it for one round, but at that point, you're just playing the luck game.

Thank you, I really appreciate that advice!
Cook ConnorMooneyhan

Postby YukFoo on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Attack your opponent. Don't waste your boys on neutrals until you can afford to.
Cook YukFoo

Postby riskllama on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:53 pm

YukFoo wrote:Attack your opponent. Don't waste your boys on neutrals until you can afford to.

don't take advice on strategy from Sergeants.
Lieutenant riskllama

Return to SoC Training Grounds