Conquer Club

Thailand

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Thailand [GP][GX]

Postby grifftron on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:50 pm

FarangDemon wrote:This being Thailand, perhaps Mr Benn is expecting a bribe to get the ball rolling... ;)

This being Thailand, maybe he is waiting till the last second to get things done, either that or come very very late to our meeting! PS. I am leaving to CM tomorrow, ill try to keep an eye on it when i can, i fly out to the states on Thursday!
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:00 pm

That looks heaps better

PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Beta - Quenching

---The Final Forge period has concluded for the Thailand Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Beta Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready for BETA Play. After an extended period of time in BETA and once all quirks and issues have been resolved, the map will be put into Full Play (barring any Lack vetoes).

Conquer Club, enjoy!

While the map is in BETA Play, there are a couple of administrative tasks that are required of the mapmaker(s) in addition to the initial gameplay testing:
    1. Please ensure that the first post of the thread contains all the necessary information to help future visitors to the development thread; it's particularly important to ensure the most recent images are there, along with any helpful guides (such as gameplay quirks/nuances or the location/size of any starting neutrals etc.)
    2. Please update the Map Information Portal with details of your map
    3. Finally, it is the responsibility of the mapmaker(s) to ensure that they respond to further feedback in a timely and constructive manner.

--MrBenn
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 pm

grifftron wrote:
MrBenn wrote:If you can post all the latest/most up to date adjusted files (as links), then I'll have a look at it for you

BIG
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/544 ... 283b_b.jpg

SMALL
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5174/545 ... b77a_z.jpg

XML
Here it is: http://www.killersapp.com/thailand6.xml
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Thailand [GP][GX][XML][BETA]

Postby grifftron on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks MrBenn =D> =D> =D>

Congrats FD, looking forward to trying this out on BETA! before i leave in 2 days *crosses fingers*
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby John Deere on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Very nice Griff! Cant wait to play it! :)
Thanks grifftron for the pic! Your the man:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjwAucpiC6Q&list=QL&playnext=1
Major John Deere

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:57 pm

Nice works fellas. Another region that has been under utilized in maps now has a little more representation!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DJENRE on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:28 am

Beautiful map and nice work.
But I don't know why, I'm not able to win any game on that map. ;)
Let me know when you're ready for MapMaker Killer http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=137470
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

Postby Predatorius on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:58 am

Excellent, congrats!!

Just started a game, 8 player, standard-Escalating: #8644008

Minor suggestion: I would rename 'HTMS Chakri Narubet' to 'Royal Thai Navy' or similar. Most people would have no idea where to look for that territory, but if you name it somehting with 'navy' or 'fleet' or whatever in the name then people know to look in the blue stuff. ;)

For the same reason I would not use the Thai name for the regions (Phak Nuea, Phak Klang, etc.), that makes it harder to see which regions they relate to. So I'd go just with the English translation of those: North, North-East, Central, South. You're already using 'West' And East' for the remaining regions instead of the Thai names for those.

Can't wait to actually play the game.. Anyone want to join #8644008 ?
Major Predatorius

Postby cheesefries25 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Why are the airport territories one way attacking? Phuket can attack Bangkok but not Chiang Mai?

I understand this reasoning for the boat connections but I don't get the logic in not connecting all the airports.
Cook cheesefries25

Postby grifftron on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:41 am

cheesefries25 wrote:Why are the airport territories one way attacking? Phuket can attack Bangkok but not Chiang Mai?

I understand this reasoning for the boat connections but I don't get the logic in not connecting all the airports.

Actually the main reason why we had the airports in both CM & Phuket connect to BKK is because 1) i would say about at least 95% of flights from CM to Phuket or from Phuket to CM actually do connect to BKK first and 2) To show the dominance of Bangkok for what it really is... BKK runs Thailand and that is that, the next largest city in Thailand is Chiang Mai (Thats where i live) and it cannot even measure to the influence BKK has on Thailand.
But gameplay wise, i haven't heard anyone complain about this actually destroying their games so i would say just lets see how it goes thru this BETA phase and if there are more people with issues maybe then it could be changed.

Predatorius wrote:Minor suggestion: I would rename 'HTMS Chakri Narubet' to 'Royal Thai Navy' or similar. Most people would have no idea where to look for that territory, but if you name it somehting with 'navy' or 'fleet' or whatever in the name then people know to look in the blue stuff. ;)

Its called the HTMS.. Its the only Thai navy ship Thailand has i believe... it is called what it is called, look at pearl harbor, i am not very good with the names of all the boats but sometimes you just have to take a second and look where the terts are... just my opinion..

For the same reason I would not use the Thai name for the regions (Phak Nuea, Phak Klang, etc.), that makes it harder to see which regions they relate to. So I'd go just with the English translation of those: North, North-East, Central, South. You're already using 'West' And East' for the remaining regions instead of the Thai names for those.

First we went with just the NE, CENTRAL, SOUTH like what you said above, then FD and others wanted it to have more of a "Thai" feel for the names in the key and that is when we made the switch.. the main reason if i remember why we didn't have the for east & west is because both are kind of long in Thai... Phak Tawaandok and Phak Tawaanook.. spelling is prob not correct i am just sounding the word out in my head but they are kinda long... maybe wait for FD to comment on this one

Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cheesefries25 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:09 pm

grifftron wrote:Actually the main reason why we had the airports in both CM & Phuket connect to BKK is because 1) i would say about at least 95% of flights from CM to Phuket or from Phuket to CM actually do connect to BKK first and 2) To show the dominance of Bangkok for what it really is... BKK runs Thailand and that is that, the next largest city in Thailand is Chiang Mai (Thats where i live) and it cannot even measure to the influence BKK has on Thailand.
But gameplay wise, i haven't heard anyone complain about this actually destroying their games so i would say just lets see how it goes thru this BETA phase and if there are more people with issues maybe then it could be changed.

That is a fair answer...esp if it adds to realism of the map. It hasn't ruined my strategy, just messed up my first round drop lol. Maybe just make it a little more clear on the map that the attacks only go one way?
Cook cheesefries25

Postby grifftron on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:30 am

cheesefries25 wrote:
grifftron wrote:Actually the main reason why we had the airports in both CM & Phuket connect to BKK is because 1) i would say about at least 95% of flights from CM to Phuket or from Phuket to CM actually do connect to BKK first and 2) To show the dominance of Bangkok for what it really is... BKK runs Thailand and that is that, the next largest city in Thailand is Chiang Mai (Thats where i live) and it cannot even measure to the influence BKK has on Thailand.

That is a fair answer...esp if it adds to realism of the map. It hasn't ruined my strategy, just messed up my first round drop lol. Maybe just make it a little more clear on the map that the attacks only go one way?

CM----BKK----PHUKET

pretty clear i think
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby FarangDemon on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Predatorius wrote:Excellent, congrats!!

Just started a game, 8 player, standard-Escalating: #8644008

Minor suggestion: I would rename 'HTMS Chakri Narubet' to 'Royal Thai Navy' or similar. Most people would have no idea where to look for that territory, but if you name it somehting with 'navy' or 'fleet' or whatever in the name then people know to look in the blue stuff. ;)

This is an issue we need to resolve as other players have told me they didn't realize the ship was necessary as well.

I'd prefer to retain the name "HTMS Chakri Naruebet", as it is also a shoutout to the reigning Chakri dynasty for which it was named. It is also perhaps the only SE Asian nation to have an aircraft carrier, so it's appropriate to showcase this in a military conquest game.

I think we should resolve this by adding a ship icon to the legend that would make it clear that you need to hold the ship.

Predatorius wrote:For the same reason I would not use the Thai name for the regions (Phak Nuea, Phak Klang, etc.), that makes it harder to see which regions they relate to. So I'd go just with the English translation of those: North, North-East, Central, South. You're already using 'West' And East' for the remaining regions instead of the Thai names for those.

Can't wait to actually play the game.. Anyone want to join #8644008 ?

As griff said, it was discussed already to use Thai names because otherwise it is kind of boring. For East and West we use English as the Thai names are too long and only 1 letter difference would make it easy to confuse.
Last edited by FarangDemon on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click image to enlarge.

"He came dancin across the water.... FarangDemon, FarangDemon.... mmmhh....what a killer..."
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby FarangDemon on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:59 pm

cheesefries25 wrote:

I think actually every flight from Chiang Mai to Phuket goes through Bangkok. I think almost every domestic flight in Thailand goes to Bangkok. One exception is Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son.

I think the legend is clear on aiport and boat connectivity. One way to possibly make it more clear would be to add two-way directional arrows on the connecting lines in the legend. However, I'm not sure it's really necessary.
Click image to enlarge.

"He came dancin across the water.... FarangDemon, FarangDemon.... mmmhh....what a killer..."
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby FarangDemon on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:03 am

I think it would be nice to add ประเทศ ไทย somewhere on the map. Either near title or somehow covering the whole map in big font.
Click image to enlarge.

Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby Leehar on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:17 am

grifftron wrote:
cheesefries25 wrote:

CM----BKK----PHUKET

pretty clear i think
Perhaps to you, but I also had some trouble at first glance thats what you meant with it. I like FD's idea of 2-way directional arrows to ensure clarity, tho I can't really think of any other means of doing so.
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby grifftron on Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:27 am

FarangDemon wrote:I think it would be nice to add ประเทศ ไทย somewhere on the map. Either near title or somehow covering the whole map in big font.

NOTES:

-Add ประเทศ ไทย (Thailand in Thai) to the map

-Add 2 way directional arrows in the key for the airports

-Add a boat icon in the key for the HTMS

Issues that needed to be addressed... before i change any of these i would like more input, i don't want to change them only to go back to what we had.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby ender516 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Is there room to put the "(BKK)" into the Airport Connections legend on the small map, as it is on the large map?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby grifftron on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:44 am

-2 way arrows added in the key for boats & airports
-Thailand in Thai was added to the title
-HTMS key was added ( I don't like it and dont think its needed either)

Click image to enlarge.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby grifftron on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:47 am

ender516 wrote:Is there room to put the "(BKK)" into the Airport Connections legend on the small map, as it is on the large map?

This is how it would look, what do you think?

Click image to enlarge.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby theBastard on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:43 am

I like this map (because I won it ?) :D

just, some bonuses could be lower I think... maybe another balance between bonuses...
later I will write more...
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby ender516 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:46 am

grifftron wrote:
ender516 wrote:Is there room to put the "(BKK)" into the Airport Connections legend on the small map, as it is on the large map?

This is how it would look, what do you think?

Click image to enlarge.
It looks to me like there is just enough space, and I do prefer the immediacy of glancing at the map, seeing airport icons, and then seeing those icons in the Airport Connections legend with the abbreviation explained right there, as opposed to looking somewhere else for the Region Abbreviations. I didn't like finding BKK on the map, Bangkok in the Airport Connections legend, and the Region Abbreviations in a third spot to tie them together. Admittedly, it doesn't take long to learn the abbreviation, but I am a strong believer in the idea that the small map should contain all the information on the large map, as far as this is possible.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby MrBenn on Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:44 pm

The arrows make the airport connections clearere, although I'd prefer them to be a grey/dark grey rather than black.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby grifftron on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:02 pm

MrBenn wrote:The arrows make the airport connections clearere, although I'd prefer them to be a grey/dark grey rather than black.

Ok i can do that, what did you think of the new Thailand (IN THAI) in the title, and what did you think of the HTMS key?

@ender

are you saying you want me to take BKK off the abrv key?
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas