Conquer Club

Rorke's Drift. [QUENCHED]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Rorke's Drift. [BETA]

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:32 am

Dukasaur wrote:I'm not thrilled about the bombardments.

It's bad from both a historical accuracy perspective and from a right-now gameplay perspective.

From a historical accuracy point of view, those rifles simply weren't that accurate at long range. Sure, they could occassionally peg off an enemy half a mile away, but not with enough frequency to seriously damage an enemy formation.

From the right-now point of view, it basically means that once someone gets a hold of a British position, anyone who doesn't have one is doomed unless they can take it from him in one turn. There isn't any safe area where you can hang back, lick your wounds for a while, and launch a fresh offensive.

That was one of the things I liked about this map, and now it's gone.

The problem and comments I was getting though was if you go second in a 1v1 game, the drop can give first player a chieftain and a great start. I had no options open with positions to correct this so the only logical way was to give the second player a chance to kill the chieftain. The bombardments have been in place now for a month since he map came back into live play. That is not new to this change.

As for the historical perspective, you are right, the rifle was not accurate but it did win the day for the British. One of the best quotes from the film is near the end.
Colour Sergeant Bourne: It's a miracle.
Lieutenant John Chard: If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point 45 caliber miracle.
Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.

Sorry, but it stays in for now. ;)
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:09 pm

The new version was uploaded. :)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Fazeem on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:40 pm

I will give it a try like the last new one hopefully these improvement bring back some of the enjoyment of the previous pre messing with version
Lieutenant Fazeem

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon May 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Last Call

If anyone has any other comments on tweaking the gameplay/graphics, now is the time to speak up! If there are no other concerns within the next couple of days, this map will be quenched!

thenobodies80

Postby wobbles-grogan on Tue May 22, 2012 10:32 am

Hi there.

We're currently in a game on this map, thouroughly enjoying it.

Some concerns:

Are the british front line too OP? They can bombard ALL the chieftans, so a large player could feesibly take just one of them, put all his troops on it, and take out everyones bonuses in one fell swoop.

Maybe it would be better if the front line were only allowed bombard two chieftans, and only the ones that he is facing (So Allen on the top-right of the building can bombard the Cetshwayo and Ndaba, and similar the whole way around the building)

Just an idea, it just seems a small bit OP at the moment. Although, maybe im playing badly :-)
Sergeant wobbles-grogan

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 22, 2012 10:53 am

wobbles-grogan wrote:Hi there.

We're currently in a game on this map, thouroughly enjoying it.

Some concerns:

Are the british front line too OP? They can bombard ALL the chieftans, so a large player could feesibly take just one of them, put all his troops on it, and take out everyones bonuses in one fell swoop.

Maybe it would be better if the front line were only allowed bombard two chieftans, and only the ones that he is facing (So Allen on the top-right of the building can bombard the Cetshwayo and Ndaba, and similar the whole way around the building)

Just an idea, it just seems a small bit OP at the moment. Although, maybe im playing badly :-)

I had the same idea a while ago when this map went through the major changes. Discarded it as it would of made the map even more complicated for new players. It is not that you are playing it wrong, but the guys who have the front line, are just having a better time of it for now. With the chieftains +1 auto deploy, goes some way to remove this advantage had to be found so the front line became the ideal way to remove this. In small games, the first player with a chieftain, won the game. Depending on your spoils, the chieftain will always win the day between the two. As soon as players realise that someone is taking the spoils away, they tend to attack on mass.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby The Voice on Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm

I can't wait! I love this map.
Major The Voice

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:23 am

Quenching

---It was an hell, but the Beta period has concluded for the Rorke's Drift Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations koontz1973, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

thenobodies80

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:43 am

thenobodies80, my humblest thanks to you. And to everyone else that helped me on this map including all of the boys in blue.
Last edited by koontz1973 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby crazymilkshake5 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:51 am

=D> =D> =D> Gratz! =D> =D> =D>
highscore
Major crazymilkshake5

Re: Rorke's Drift. [QUENCHED]

Postby Flapcake on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:23 pm

Dear koontz, congratulation with your quenched map =D> \:D/
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby Leehar on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:09 am

Did the win condition change? Originally it was just the 2 officers? Now it's all british?
Did the neutrals stay the same then? I think going through 25 neutrals(12 each +1 in between) just to get a measly +3 is useless? specially since it's no longer for the win?
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:25 am

Leehar wrote:Did the win condition change? Originally it was just the 2 officers? Now it's all british?
Did the neutrals stay the same then? I think going through 25 neutrals(12 each +1 in between) just to get a measly +3 is useless? specially since it's no longer for the win?

The win condition did change to all of the outpost and some neutrals did change as well to accommodate the new gameplay. This was done way back in beta though when the map was locked.

Goes to show how long it is since your last game on it was then. :P
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Leehar on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:15 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Leehar wrote:Did the win condition change? Originally it was just the 2 officers? Now it's all british?

The win condition did change to all of the outpost and some neutrals did change as well to accommodate the new gameplay. This was done way back in beta though when the map was locked.

Goes to show how long it is since your last game on it was then. :P

Indeed, although I have fond memories of that last game http://www.conquerclub.com/player.php?submit=Search&&mp[0]=201&hr=N&p1=leehar&p2=koontz1973&p2=koontz1973&so=page=1

You changed it up to avoid more crushing defeats ;)

Did you ever get to see if the outpost bonus was used?
koontz1973 wrote:Thanks nobodies for that.

Thanks for the comments guys. The +3 may be about right as it is a late bonus. Do not want to give the outpost away too easily. But lets get a few games played to see what this is like and then I can increase it to the +5 if needed. But right now, I think I am over the moon about this map now.
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Leehar wrote:Did you ever get to see if the outpost bonus was used?

It was never even on a playable map. Shame that and if I ever did another one like this, I might just try to keep that in.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Previous

Return to The Atlas