Conquer Club

[Limited Edition] Colosseum - Battle Royale Map

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Limited Edition] Colosseum - Battle Royale Map

Postby samuelc812 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:05 pm

Map Name: Colosseum
Mapmaker(s): samuelc812
Number of Territories: 157
Special Features: - Limited Edition Map - Battle Royale Map
- Bombardments
- One way Assaults
- Autodeploy
- Starting Neutrals
- Killer Neutrals
- Override Bonuses
Map Images:
Click image to enlarge.

XML: http://www.conquerclub.com/maps/Colosseum.xml

Map Rules

Players can assault anyone in the same area except audience and aisle

Audience
- Audiences A or B assault each other only where connected (example A1 assault A2 or A8)
- Audiences A or B one way assault aisle lv1
- Connect Entry points
Aisle
- Aisle lv1 one way assault Aisle lv2
- Aisle lv2 one way assault Aisle lv3
- Aisle lv3 one way assault Emperor
- Start with 2 neutral troops
Entry Points
- Connect gladiators area
- Connect Armouries
- Connect Audience Members
- Do NOT connect other entry points
- Reset to 3 neutrals each turn
- Start with 3 neutrals troops
Emperor
- Starts with 5 neutral troops
- Bombard all gladiators
- +1 autodeploy each turn
Armouries
- Armouries I, VI, VII and XII start with 4 neutral troops
- Armouries II, III, IV, V, VIII, IX, X, XI start with 2 neutral troops (2 troops for each weapon)
Armouries Bonuses
- Swords --> 1= +1; 2=+2; >2=0
- Shields --> 1=+1; >1= -1
- Daggers --> 1=+1; >1= -1
- Tridentes --> 1=+1; >1= -1
- Tridens+Shield or Sword + Shield = +4 Note: this bonus override all positive sword, shield and trident bonuses
- Chariots 1=+2; >1= -2
Beasts
- Start with 3 neutral troops
- Give +1 autodeploy
Captain samuelc812

Re: [Limited Edition] Colosseum - Battle Royale Map

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Although this map is defined as "limited edition map" because it was developed behind the scenes for the associated event, this topic has been created to provide to you a place where you can make suggestions, comments or report problems with the map. Please use the following topic only for these purposes.

Thank you
thenobodies80
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Mande1992 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:34 am

I am currently playing this map and I would like to suggest that the wording in the legend for the bonuses be adjusted.

The shield and sword, OR shield and trident bonus should be noted that it is an exclusive or, you can hold one or the other but not both in order to get the bonus. I currently am in that situation and ended up taking both the sword and trident because the legend did not say that would remove all my bonuses :( http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=10367905

I am also not sure if you get another shield and sword set from a different armory, will you get the bonus the second time?

Thanks for considering,
Mande.
Captain Mande1992

Postby DiM on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:31 am

this is a limited edition map.
this means that it hasn't been created using the normal foundry process hence it most likely has flaws ranging from shitty graphics to gameplay mistakes and legend clarity issues.
the sad part is nobody is gonna bother changing it.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby mikey4 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:30 pm

If the entrances reset to neutral every turn and its a trench game how would anyone be able to go from one section to another?
Corporal mikey4

Postby sundance123 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:38 pm

In trench you caan attack the territories connected to neutral reset territories (in this case entrances) on the same go you take it.
Captain sundance123

Postby sherkaner on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Mande1992 wrote:I am currently playing this map and I would like to suggest that the wording in the legend for the bonuses be adjusted.

The shield and sword, OR shield and trident bonus should be noted that it is an exclusive or, you can hold one or the other but not both in order to get the bonus. I currently am in that situation and ended up taking both the sword and trident because the legend did not say that would remove all my bonuses :( http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=10367905

I am also not sure if you get another shield and sword set from a different armory, will you get the bonus the second time?

Thanks for considering,
Mande.

Looks like nobody responded to this, but I think it is a coding error actually. The map was just put up a bit too fast, and now it's in heavier rotation so more ppl will complain.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:57 am

Mande1992 wrote:The shield and sword, OR shield and trident bonus should be noted that it is an exclusive or, you can hold one or the other but not both in order to get the bonus. I currently am in that situation and ended up taking both the sword and trident because the legend did not say that would remove all my bonuses

Yes it does. Lower-left corner.
1 trident and 1 shield OR 1 sword and 1 shield give you +4
If you hold one of them, the bonus overrides all positive sword, shield and trident bonuses.

So it's clear that if hold one of them you can't gain your other bonuses, being all them a "sword, shield or trident" bonuses.

Mande1992 wrote:I am also not sure if you get another shield and sword set from a different armory, will you get the bonus the second time?

A sword and a shield or a trident and a shield, it's not a sword (or a trident) + a shield for each armoury....so no, it's given just once.. Otherwise it would be stated on the map.

sherkaner wrote:I think it is a coding error actually.

No errors into the code.

What can be done, if the word "override" is not clear is try to find a better wording for that part of the legend.

Postby trinicardinal on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:05 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
Mande1992 wrote:The shield and sword, OR shield and trident bonus should be noted that it is an exclusive or, you can hold one or the other but not both in order to get the bonus. I currently am in that situation and ended up taking both the sword and trident because the legend did not say that would remove all my bonuses

Yes it does. Lower-left corner.
1 trident and 1 shield OR 1 sword and 1 shield give you +4
If you hold one of them, the bonus overrides all positive sword, shield and trident bonuses.

So it's clear that if hold one of them you can't gain your other bonuses, being all them a "sword, shield or trident" bonuses.

In this case though what Mande might mean is that if you hold a trident, sword and shield you only get a +1 instead of +4. so you lose the +4 bonus... the fact that it is an exclusive OR (XOR) function is not clear in the legend and a number of people have gotten caught with it. In fact it seems to be the most common question that I have had to answer in live chat in relation to this map. I do think that the legend can be a little clearer on that matter.
10:16:35 ‹Ace Rimmer› haven't looked at work in ages
10:42:43 ‹Sackett58› fine, I'll take my panties elsewhere
Captain trinicardinal

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:47 am

trinicardinal wrote:In this case though what Mande might mean is that if you hold a trident, sword and shield you only get a +1 instead of +4. so you lose the +4 bonus...

Can you provide me an example into a game?
You should receive +4 in any case except tha case in which you hold a negative bonus, in fact the legend says that it overrides all POSTIVE bonuses.
I don't think you received just +1 instead of +4 without having a negative bonus, but I looked just at the code, never played the map O:)

About the legend, I'm discussing that with isaiah and Andy to find a bit of space for a better explanation. ;)

Postby B the impaler on Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:04 am

If I own 2 swords plus one shield will my bonus be +5 or at the least +4 (excluding the +1 for second sword being that's it's positive bonus is overridden by the sword/shield combo)?

4 for the sword/shield combo
1 for the stand alone sword

I understand the board states that the sword/shield combo overrides ALL positive bonuses but in the case of the sword you're technically allowed to hold two without penalty.

In the case I don't get the additional bonus for the second sword will it nullify my sword/shield combo bonus? Or will it just act as a regular territory?

To clarify: will I be penalised for holding an additional sword if I already own a sword/shield bonus? I don't believe the legend is clear on this.

Thanks so much.
Corporal 1st Class B the impaler

Postby B the impaler on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Any suggestions? I realise it's a code thing. Contact the map maker?
Corporal 1st Class B the impaler

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:19 am

B the impaler wrote:If I own 2 swords plus one shield will my bonus be +5 or at the least +4 (excluding the +1 for second sword being that's it's positive bonus is overridden by the sword/shield combo)?

I understand the board states that the sword/shield combo overrides ALL positive bonuses but in the case of the sword you're technically allowed to hold two without penalty.

In the case I don't get the additional bonus for the second sword will it nullify my sword/shield combo bonus? Or will it just act as a regular territory?

To clarify: will I be penalised for holding an additional sword if I already own a sword/shield bonus? I don't believe the legend is clear on this.

Thanks so much.

If you own 2 swords and 1 shield you qualify for these bonuses:

1 sword + 1 shield = +4
    2 swords = +2
    1 shield= +1
    total = +7

But you hold 1 sword and 1 shield that overrides ALL positive sword, shield and trident bonuses so you will receive just +4

1 sword + 1 shield = +4
    2 swords = +2
    1 shield= +1
    total = +4

And no, you won't be penalized with the swords because the bonuses are all positive or equal to zero so in the worst case they are overriden (canceled) by the other bonus.
Instead, to be penalized, you should hold 2+ shields and 1 sword (+3*), or 2+ shield and 1 trident (+3*), or 1 shield and 2+ trident (+3*), or 2+ shields and 2+ tridents (+2*).
Note: * (total value of your bonus)
In few words,you will be penalized, in every single case you have a negative bonus (that is NOT overridden by the 1 sword/1 trident + 1 shield bonus).

It's important to understand that when one bonus overrides another, the latter is not given.

B the impaler wrote:Any suggestions? I realise it's a code thing. Contact the map maker?

Like I said previously the xml is ok.
The problem is the legend and we're looking for a way to contact the mapmaker and change it in accordance to the feedback received. :)

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:21 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
B the impaler wrote:If I own 2 swords plus one shield will my bonus be +5 or at the least +4 (excluding the +1 for second sword being that's it's positive bonus is overridden by the sword/shield combo)?

Thanks so much.

If you own 2 swords and 1 shield you qualify for these bonuses:

1 sword + 1 shield = +4
    2 swords = +2
    1 shield= +1
    total = +7

But you hold 1 sword and 1 shield that overrides ALL positive sword, shield and trident bonuses so you will receive just +4

1 sword + 1 shield = +4
    2 swords = +2
    1 shield= +1
    total = +4

And no, you won't be penalized with the swords because the bonuses are all positive or equal to zero so in the worst case they are overriden (canceled) by the other bonus.
Instead, to be penalized, you should hold 2+ shields and 1 sword (+3*), or 2+ shield and 1 trident (+3*), or 1 shield and 2+ trident (+3*), or 2+ shields and 2+ tridents (+2*).
Note: * (total value of your bonus)
In few words,you will be penalized, in every single case you have a negative bonus (that is NOT overridden by the 1 sword/1 trident + 1 shield bonus).

It's important to understand that when one bonus overrides another, the latter is not given.

B the impaler wrote:Any suggestions? I realise it's a code thing. Contact the map maker?

Like I said previously the xml is ok.
The problem is the legend and we're looking for a way to contact the mapmaker and change it in accordance to the feedback received. :)

Does a chariot count as a weapon for this purpose?
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby BeauJyles on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:52 am

Hi,

Can someone with a sword territory in an armoury attack another territory within the same armoury or does a gladiator have to "enter inside the armoury" before attacking the neutrals for the weapons?

If your gladiator is dead, does the sword bonus still count? If so, can a sword territory (in the armoury) venture out into the arena and take over a gladiator?

It looks to me that a gladiator can get a maximum of +7 troops from weapons bonuses (1+ dagger, 4+ shield/sword and +2 charriot), is this correct?

Thanks in advance! :D
Captain BeauJyles

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Does a chariot count as a weapon for this purpose?

The chariot gives only +1 if you hold one or -2 if hold more than 1.
It's not part of the positive overriden bonuses considering that is not listed in the legend with the others.

Not strictly related with your question but what I don't get is why people add rules that are not written on the map/legend ... :-k

BeauJyles wrote:Can someone with a sword territory in an armoury attack another territory within the same armoury or does a gladiator have to "enter inside the armoury" before attacking the neutrals for the weapons?

Yes, if you hold, for example, armory II dagger you can attack the other 3 weapons in the same armoury (trident, sword, shield)

BeauJyles wrote:If your gladiator is dead, does the sword bonus still count? If so, can a sword territory (in the armoury) venture out into the arena and take over a gladiator?

The bonus is given anyway, there's no gladiatior requirement listed into the legend, so it's not part of the bonus

BeauJyles wrote:It looks to me that a gladiator can get a maximum of +7 troops from weapons bonuses (1+ dagger, 4+ shield/sword and +2 charriot), is this correct?

Not from a single armoury, this because if you hold the sword+shield or trident+shield bonus all other sword,trident and shield bonuses are overridden. So the max bonus for holding all the weapons (no chariots armoury) is +5 (trident+shield or sword+shield (+4) and dagger (+1)). So yes, if you count also a chariot is +7

Postby Catarah on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:52 am

but it also mentions that having more then one trident or dagger is -1. does this mean trident+shield+dagger gives +3 instead of +5? or does this go for daggers and tridents sepperately?
Captain Catarah

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:08 am

Yeah, it is like "if you have more than one trident OR more than one dagger".
The author of the map did them joined for space reasons, i think.

Anyway i think you raised a good point and this aspect should be fixed, specially because there're no words apart few symbols so it could be unclear.
A way to be sure is to check the name of bonuses into the XML, but you shouldn't be forced to do it, in theory.

Postby chapcrap on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:30 pm

I think we can all agree that this map is pretty confusing and needs some maintenance. Maybe get someone working on the confusion.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby trinicardinal on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:21 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
trinicardinal wrote:In this case though what Mande might mean is that if you hold a trident, sword and shield you only get a +1 instead of +4. so you lose the +4 bonus...

Can you provide me an example into a game?
You should receive +4 in any case except tha case in which you hold a negative bonus, in fact the legend says that it overrides all POSTIVE bonuses.
I don't think you received just +1 instead of +4 without having a negative bonus, but I looked just at the code, never played the map O:)

About the legend, I'm discussing that with isaiah and Andy to find a bit of space for a better explanation. ;)

sorry - i just happened to check back in here - check this game - Game 10367905

I held a chariot, dagger, sword, trident and shield and the elephant. I got the bonus for the elephant, chariot and dagger but no sword/shield or trident/shield bonus. I've had questions relating to this same thing often enough in live chat so I'm sure I can dig around and get more examples if you need them
10:16:35 ‹Ace Rimmer› haven't looked at work in ages
10:42:43 ‹Sackett58› fine, I'll take my panties elsewhere
Captain trinicardinal

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:07 pm

No I don't need other examples.
I clearly see what is the problem and what causes it......but I'm not sure why it does in that way...it shouldn't.
I need to ask to lackattack directly since if i test the map with the tools i have, it works properly.

Really strange. :-k
Anyway I let you know asap ;)

Nobodies

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:10 pm

I've sent the fix to lackattack....it will be uploaded asap

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:58 am

The map should work properly now. Let me know if not.

Postby D4 Damager on Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:58 am

Hi all. Which audience member positions do the audience member entry points connect to?
Colonel D4 Damager

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 am

D4 Damager wrote:Hi all. Which audience member positions do the audience member entry points connect to?

All positions in each Audience section can assault its respective entry point. Audience A can assault Audience A entry point and the same for Audience B.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Next

Return to The Atlas