Conquer Club

[Limited Edition] St. Patrick's Day Map

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Limited Edition] St. Patrick's Day Map

Postby oaktown on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:42 am

Map Name: Saint Patrick's Day
Mapmaker(s): oaktown
Number of Territories: 33
Special Features: - Limited Edition Map - St. Patrick's Day Map
- Starting Neutrals
- Victory Conditions

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.

XML: http://www.conquerclub.com/maps/Saint_Patricks_Day.xml

Map Rules

- Amon, Patrick, Flynn, Ungus, Shaun, Colm and Keagan are starting points; everything else start neutral.
- Pot of Gold starts with 5 neutral troops, hold it for a turn to win the game
- Clover 02,06,08,12,14,18,20 and 24 start with 3 neutral troops
- Clover 03,05,09,11,15,17,21 and 23 start with 4 neutral troops
- Clover 01,04,07,10,13,16,19 and 22 start with 5 neutral troops
Captain oaktown

Re: [Limited Edition] St. Patrick's Day Map

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:14 pm

Although this map is defined as "limited edition map" because it was developed behind the scenes for the associated event, this topic has been created to provide to you a place where you can make suggestions, comments or report problems with the map. Please use the following topic only for these purposes.

Thank you
thenobodies80
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:29 pm

i'm starting to think this is probably the worst map ever created.
this would not pass the gameplay stamp in a million years.

if i were to chose between this map and a wheelof fortune/russian roulette map i'd honestly chose the latter because it's 100% luck with quick and swift exchange of points.

this map is also 100% luck, but it's a long and hard road to finish filled with frustration of losing every roll while the opponent gets perfect dice.

is there any chance of changing this to actually contain a bit of strategy?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Swifte on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:34 pm

DiM wrote:i'm starting to think this is probably the worst map ever created.
this would not pass the gameplay stamp in a million years.

if i were to chose between this map and a wheelof fortune/russian roulette map i'd honestly chose the latter because it's 100% luck with quick and swift exchange of points.

this map is also 100% luck, but it's a long and hard road to finish filled with frustration of losing every roll while the opponent gets perfect dice.

is there any chance of changing this to actually contain a bit of strategy?

Well put DiM! What silliness this map is.
Colonel Swifte

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:39 pm

I think a lot of people like the lucky factor of this map. And since it the map isn't offered for many days a year, I'm not sure its a bad thing either.

Perhaps the Entertainment & Cartography Teams, or better yet, the Foundry as a whole, could develop a map that fully fleshes out this sort of theme with different gameplay, that could be offered year around, thus you could preserve the fun-luck factor of the limited edition map? :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:34 pm

this map encompasses all the bad things we tell new map makers to stay away from.
it is symmetrical, it puts a lot of importance on dice, it doesn't have achievable bonuses, thus eliminating strategy, and it is small enough that it only takes a few turns of bad dice to seal the fate of a game.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:39 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I think a lot of people like the lucky factor of this map.

i'm sure they do. i'm absolutely 100% positive some people would simply gamble their points on a slots/roulette/wheel of fortune type map and that map would become one of the most played maps ever. i'm willing to bet anything on this.
but the question is, do we really want to give people this choice? when i wanted to make a wheel of fortune map i was told that it's a bad idea. why would this map be any better? it's the same wheel of fortune thing but with the added frustration of dice.

AndyDufresne wrote:Perhaps the Entertainment & Cartography Teams, or better yet, the Foundry as a whole, could develop a map that fully fleshes out this sort of theme with different gameplay, that could be offered year around, thus you could preserve the fun-luck factor of the limited edition map? :)
--Andy

the foundry could do a better improved version to replace this one. since we offer it so rarely let's make it a real treat not something to stay away from.
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:31 pm

I'd rather see the Foundry develop a map like this to be up the whole time that is better, and let this one come about from time time for a couple of random weeks in a year. But, you can always get in touch with Gilligan and thenobodies80 to discuss things otherwise!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:42 pm

I wanted oaktown to put a starting territory on the dolphin, with something like a +20 autodeploy but no attacking options. Just be glad he didn't :P
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Return to The Atlas