Conquer Club

New York City [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:57 pm

benny profane wrote:....

well, that would really suck.
i feel like someone would have mentioned that by now though.
snap assured me that it was possible.

I'm not sure what you mean...

If you mean UWS station can only attack Midtown station if you hold The Village station - then that won't work... (conditional XML isn't implemented)

However - you can (obviously) have The Village station attack midtown station, UWS station, DUMBO station & the Village.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Lone.prophet on Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:57 pm

i think he meant that you could attack stations at another line too if you had the crossover station
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby benny profane on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:20 pm

yeti_c wrote:I'm not sure what you mean...

If you mean UWS station can only attack Midtown station if you hold The Village station - then that won't work... (conditional XML isn't implemented)

to use this example, what we mean is this:
let's say you hold the UWS station, and you want to attack the Midtown station. you would first have to attack The Village station, and then attack the Midtown station.

this is possible...right?
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:27 pm

benny profane wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I'm not sure what you mean...

to use this example, what we mean is this:
let's say you hold the UWS station, and you want to attack the Midtown station. you would first have to attack The Village station, and then attack the Midtown station.

this is possible...right?

Yep - that's perfectly possible - but obviously you can only attack Midtown from The Village - not from UWS...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:28 pm

benny profane wrote:
yeti_c wrote:the other thing - with the colouring of the army shadow for the line colour - and the fading of the army colour for the main territory - it looks like the main territory is underground - perhaps swap the fade so you have a crisp army shadow - and a coloured fade for the subway?

this could really work! i'm worried we may have to fade the actual train lines as well to be consistent. and this may or may not look very good. we'll give it a shot.

That could work too... that might give the whole subway a "underground" feel...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:26 pm

I like the look/idea of this map - you're onto a good thing here.

[tongue in cheek]

'New York City' is really far too long for a name... can't you rename it to just 'York'...

[/tongue in cheek]

:shock:
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:01 pm

yeti_c wrote:
benny profane wrote:
yeti_c wrote:the other thing - with the colouring of the army shadow for the line colour - and the fading of the army colour for the main territory - it looks like the main territory is underground - perhaps swap the fade so you have a crisp army shadow - and a coloured fade for the subway?

this could really work! i'm worried we may have to fade the actual train lines as well to be consistent. and this may or may not look very good. we'll give it a shot.

C.

I like the subway lines the way they are now – anyone who has used the MTA knows that they look almost exactly as they do on the maps. I think it helps to make it seem more familiar this way.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby snapdoodle on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:43 pm

MrBenn wrote:I like the look/idea of this map - you're onto a good thing here.

[tongue in cheek]

'New York City' is really far too long for a name... can't you rename it to just 'York'...

[/tongue in cheek]

:shock:

i think eventually it'll be "NYC"
Captain snapdoodle

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:07 am

InkL0sed wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
benny profane wrote:

C.

I like the subway lines the way they are now – anyone who has used the MTA knows that they look almost exactly as they do on the maps. I think it helps to make it seem more familiar this way.

I've never been on the MTA.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby benny profane on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:15 am

this is what he's talking about.

actually, our first idea was to base our map off this one, and try to include as many subway trains as possible. it quickly became clear that it would have been a nightmare.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby oaktown on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:36 pm

I'm trying to revive the Maps In Development thread in General Discussions... if you'd like to be included please post a description of your map!

http://conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Captain oaktown

Postby snapdoodle on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi all,

Done this round:

-moved names into terts
-added some detail to central park (comments welcome)
-widened manhattan
-altered uptown manhattan's color
-rearranged legend

To do:
same as before.

We tried out fading the station lines and that didn't work out well.

What we want to know is whether the legend is clear on how the trains work.

Thanks,

-snap & benny
Captain snapdoodle

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:31 pm

do you guys want me to help you with the XML?
Private Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby snapdoodle on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:10 am

Unit_2 wrote:do you guys want me to help you with the XML?

at this point we're really not even thinking about that yet. we'll let you know as this map gets tightened up and approaches the point where we need to begin writing the code.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby duck on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:45 am

My only question in reading the legend, and this may have been addressed earlier in the thread and I just didn't read through the whole thing, is do you have to hold the station that is withing a territory to get the corresponding continent bonus?

For instance, would I need to hold he orange station in Flushing as well as Flushing to get the Outer Queens bonus?
Sergeant duck

Postby snapdoodle on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:51 am

cairnswk wrote:
3. U.E.S & L.E.S. & U.W.S. needs explanation in the legend please for all players who are not familiar with New York suburbs....just as a footnote style thing.

12. i know this will probably sound "kitch" but is there a possibliity of adding Liberty Island and making an "icon" out of it, worth one bonus or something on that what i beleive is a Ferry Route - the dashed line.

3. Do you think it still needs a footnote? In the tert selection we were thinking it would say U.E.S so people would see it. Or is this more for people to be familiar with the locations on the map?

12. As you know we've been fiddling with the idea of adding liberty island but we're not sure if that's so great an idea anymore. Initially we were going to add a few islands, Governor's Island, Ellis Island, and Liberty Island... but we kind of don't have space for all three and we're not particularly in favor of just having the single island... so we may have liberty island but it might not be a playable tert.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby snapdoodle on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:53 am

duck wrote:My only question in reading the legend, and this may have been addressed earlier in the thread and I just didn't read through the whole thing, is do you have to hold the station that is withing a territory to get the corresponding continent bonus?

For instance, would I need to hold he orange station in Flushing as well as Flushing to get the Outer Queens bonus?

This is exactly why we posted this. If it isn't immediately clear from the legend that the stations are not part of the continent bonuses then we need to add something.

Thank you for that.

(so the answer to your question is "no, the train stations have a seperate bonus from the continent bonuses)
Captain snapdoodle

Postby snapdoodle on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:55 am

Tense wrote:Neat map!

I think the only thing left missing is a picture of something that makes you really say its New York - the statue of liberty.

For instance only having the arm and the fire visible bearly in the background. Next to the legend or elsewhere.

Perhaps the skyline faded in the bottom.

These are all good suggestions we've been playing around with. We'll post something on that soon-ish I hope.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby snapdoodle on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:03 am

oaktown wrote:Hi snap,
• You have three different styles of inter-island attack routes: subway lines, bridges, and what i assume to be a ferry line. This has the potential to be confusing.

I'm not sure what to do about that... should this be something explained visually in the legend?

oaktown wrote:• Try to make every effort possible to get territory names on the actual territories - with the narrow channels it is easy to casually misread the names.

Done. Except for Pelham Bay and Dumbo which won't fit unless we do some heavy shifting. Which I'll do if it really calls for it.

oaktown wrote:• I assume the bonus for holding a borough includes the bonuses for holding a portion of the borough? Queens is 11 total, not 11 + 5 for outer + 3 for inner, right?

absolutely correct. is there a better way to display that in the legend?

thanks for the feedback
Captain snapdoodle

Postby snapdoodle on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:12 am

mibi wrote:the second major issue is that this map has no flavor. the gameplay looks good and the lines are all crisp and identiable, but this is the Big Apple, the greatest city in the world, and this map has capture none of its flavor. its just geography. the fabled central park is reduced to a non descript green rectangle and the skyline is gone. so please please do something to put the city back into this map. maybe a slight transparent overlay of an image of that actual city geography or something, or maybe just some more detail, or just something that says "New York City" besides the title font.

I think you're right... there needs to be more detail. We'll add more periodically as we can think of it. it's difficult since our initial inspiration was the transit map benny posted and it's a purely 2D map with only top-down detail. So we'll add more but we're going to need a few to think of exactly what to put in.

I will reveal that we are planning on changing the title font completely and adding something that gives a better sense of new york from it.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby edbeard on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:17 am

I like the detail in the parks with the lakes. The only thing is that you're going to need to put some detail into the rest of the map since it looks somewhat out of place at the moment. I'm sure you're planning on doing this, but doesn't hurt to mention.

I would move the Staten Island Ferry line because at the moment people might confuse that with connecting to the Financial District station instead of the territory.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby snapdoodle on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:39 am

InkL0sed wrote:Well for example, Uptown Manhattan has only 4 border territories and 5 territories altogether, but you give it a +6 bonus? That should be more like a +4 bonus. Downtown Manhattan has only one more territory, and the same amount of border territories, but it has a +7. It should be more like +4 or +5. I understand you want to make holding Manhattan an important bonus, but you could simply give an extra bonus for holding it all, as you've already done.

Also, if Staten Island has a +3 with 2 border territories, why does Pelham also have a +3 bonus with 3 borders and the same number of territories overall?

In general, I think the rule is pretty much the bonus = number of border territories, give or take one or two considering the number of territories it has. This is of course just my opinion. You may be able to justify your bonuses, in which case they're fine by me.

I think you're right. We have to sit and figure out the bonuses.

Pelham actually has 4 border terits because of the train station... so you're even more correct. How many do you think it should have? Just +4?

I think the problem we were having before is that it's tough to figure out how the borough bonus will work.

For example, uptown currently has 6 terits and 4 border terits... so that's like +4 or +5. Downtown on the other hand has 6 terits but 5 borders so that's maybe +5 or +6. So if you capped all of manhattan however, it would be 12 terits and only 7 borders. that's like +7 or +8? I'm not sure that formula works so well for the bonus within the bonus style.

I think we still need to figure out how the terits work out... maybe +1 for every 3 territories until 6 terits but then +2 for every 3 terits after 6?

So then all of mahattan would be worth 13 = 7+1+1+2+2. Except that with this formula uptown is worth 6 and downtown is worth 7... 6+7=13... what's the motivation to cap all of manhattan if there's really no bigger bonus for getting the whole thing?

we're working on it but we invite suggetions.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby snapdoodle on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:43 am

edbeard wrote:I would move the Staten Island Ferry line because at the moment people might confuse that with connecting to the Financial District station instead of the territory.

that is a good point. we'll shift things around.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:52 am

Instead of

"To transfer to another train line transfer station () must be held"

I'd put something like.

"Transfer stations () can attack adjacent stations on either line"

What do you reckon?

Also -

The way the train bonuses are written it looks a bit like they're part of Staten Island... - And the instructions for subways are well away from them - I'd try to rejig that a bit closer - and you defs need a "Subways aren't part of Suburb/Borough Bonuses" line.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby snapdoodle on Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:31 am

yeti_c wrote:Instead of

"To transfer to another train line transfer station () must be held"

I'd put something like.

"Transfer stations () can attack adjacent stations on either line"

What do you reckon?

Also -

The way the train bonuses are written it looks a bit like they're part of Staten Island... - And the instructions for subways are well away from them - I'd try to rejig that a bit closer - and you defs need a "Subways aren't part of Suburb/Borough Bonuses" line.

C.

all good ideas. i think benny would agree. they solve problems.
Captain snapdoodle

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas