Conquer Club

New York City [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:22 pm

cairnswk wrote:i'd like to see some names on this one real quick please.

And is there any chances of dividing Manhattan up somehow along more intertesting disivions that would includes east and west of Broadway, the UN, Chinatown, Museum precinct, Gennwich Village, maybe even the Empire State and (former) World Trade Centre precinct , Time Square, the Battery, Tribeca

I've been to Manhattan and walked the streets, and it's a very interesting place indeed. Something along these lines, although 5th Avenue seems to be a delineator in this map, although that's OK.

Did you ever hear of "911"? there no longer around.
Private Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby cairnswk on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:40 pm

Unit_2 wrote:

And is there any chances of dividing Manhattan up somehow along more intertesting disivions that would includes east and west of Broadway, the UN, Chinatown, Museum precinct, Gennwich Village, maybe even the Empire State and (former) World Trade Centre precinct , Time Square, the Battery, Tribeca

I've been to Manhattan and walked the streets, and it's a very interesting place indeed. Something along these lines, although 5th Avenue seems to be a delineator in this map, although that's OK.

Did you ever hear of "911"? there no longer around.

Unit_2...don't be an ass, it doesn't become you. :roll:
Of course i've heard of 911. i watched the bloody thing as it happened on TV at 11pm at night when i was in Sydney.
The towers are gone, but is that still not the same named precinct.
Even it is not the same precinct, call it the Financial Precinct, afterall the Mercantile Exchange Centre and Wall Street are only a coupld of bolcks away.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Heimdall on Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:11 pm

Subway would be cool. Too quickly get into another region.

May i also suggest you spice things up with a "Gangs of New York" theme...

Remember the The Warriors movie?
Lieutenant Heimdall

Postby fireedud on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:43 pm

You should have another connection from Staten Island to manhattan, through New Jersey. It'll leave from the gothels bridge (I think) And enter into Manhattan with the Lincoln Tunnel
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby snapdoodle on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:29 pm

Hi again,

We've settled on the way the trains work. Each train station begins with 3-5 neutral armies. They don't count toward any bonuses and there is no bonus for holding the whole line.

Once you have a station you can attack any other station on the line. For example, you can go from one end of the blue line to the other end. If you want to transfer between lines you must attack the transfer point, the station where two train lines intersect, and from there attack any station on the other line.

The object is the increase mobility but isn't to encourage holding entire lines. This puts the emphasis of the map on holding territories and collecting bonuses but then having the option of attacking nearly anywhere on the map.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby snapdoodle on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:32 pm

Unit_2 wrote:Make it a +1 bonus for holding it, and making it neutral would be a good idea.

we thought about this, but we figured that people shouldn't be rewarded with bonuses for holding randall's island because the benefit is in controlling the triborough bridge, an important choke point.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby benny profane on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:45 pm

And is there any chances of dividing Manhattan up somehow along more intertesting disivions that would includes east and west of Broadway, the UN, Chinatown, Museum precinct, Gennwich Village, maybe even the Empire State and (former) World Trade Centre precinct, Time Square, the Battery, Tribeca

thanks for the input...we spent a while trying to decide how to divide up manhattan, and we wound up combining some neighborhoods together in order to make the map more manageable. it is rather small, especially the downtown area, and so including most of those neighborhoods isn't really feasible. we think it would just be too cramped. foremost in our minds is the gameplay. as for landmarks, its a neat idea, but we're trying to focus on neighborhoods, and there are considerably more landmarks in manhattan than the other boroughs. if it was only going to be a map of manhattan, that would really work, but we're hoping to emphasize the subways and the scope of the whole city.
we didn't have the time to put in terit names, but the ones we have for manhattan are:
washington heights, harlem, upper east side, upper west side, midtown, chelsea, gramercy, the village (greenwich and east together), soho, lower east side, and financial district.
getting any more detailed than this would mean very small terits.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby benny profane on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:48 pm

Heimdall wrote:Subway would be cool. Too quickly get into another region.

May i also suggest you spice things up with a "Gangs of New York" theme...

Remember the The Warriors movie?

we really like the ideas, but we don't really think either are right for this particular map.
gangs of new york focuses too much on the lower east side of manhattan, and the warriors is a bit too objective based.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby benny profane on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:49 pm

fireedud wrote:You should have another connection from Staten Island to manhattan, through New Jersey. It'll leave from the gothels bridge (I think) And enter into Manhattan with the Lincoln Tunnel

we really don't want to include new jersey, and we think two entrances into staten island is pretty fair.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby Rictus on Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:37 am

Yeah, I think a separate Manhattan map could be really good - in the meantime, you guys should carry on because this looks to be developing well, and the trains idea sounds good - not unlike the jump gates in the recently quashed solar system map, which do add an interesting wrinkle on game play.
Corporal Rictus

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:58 pm

There's no Roosevelt Island :cry:

Put it in? Pretty please? [-o<
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby benny profane on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:31 am

InkL0sed wrote:There's no Roosevelt Island :cry:

well, we thought about it. but, on the small map, it would pretty much disappear, don't you think?
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:35 am

benny profane wrote:

well, we thought about it. but, on the small map, it would pretty much disappear, don't you think?

the needs a small map???

the bigger the better
Corporal bryguy

Postby benny profane on Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:54 pm

bryguy wrote:
benny profane wrote:

the needs a small map???

the bigger the better

sorry, what i meant was the small version of the map.
hey man, i greatly prefer larger maps to small ones.

if anyone agrees that this map should be bigger, please speak up,
and maybe we can convince snap that we should squeeze in some more territories.

obviously, there is a risk that the map will become too cramped. and this would slow down our progress (and things are moving very slowly as it is...we're both pretty busy guys).

so...let's hear it.

and again, thanks for everyone's patience.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:28 pm

is there a update coming soon?
Private Unit_2

Postby benny profane on Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:44 pm

Unit_2 wrote:is there a update coming soon?

yup, tomorrow night.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby edbeard on Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:02 pm

when you do, post it in the first post of the thread AND the post where you tell us about the update.

it's annoying to have to go back and forth. thanks.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby snapdoodle on Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:42 pm

Hi all,

Here's another update. We're still working on the bonuses but now we've got a legend and all the territories laid out. I believe this should be enough to meet the initial discussion criteria. So fire away.

We wait with glee.

=p

-snap and benny
Captain snapdoodle

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:20 am

wow, thats nice, i'll commet tommow.
Private Unit_2

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:40 am

benny profane wrote:

Maybe... you probably know better than I do. However, consider that RI is supposed to be incredibly skinny anyway. And the name could go along the length of the island.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby snapdoodle on Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:08 am

wait... like having it as a territory or just having it on the map at all? because we'll probably have it displayed but probably not a territory on it's own.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby Ogrecrusher on Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:38 pm

I must admit I was cynical when I clicked this thread, but I really like what I see! I love the whole World 2.0 style bonuses within bonuses.
Comment, the minimap looks a bit too similar to an actual area of the map for my liking.
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby cairnswk on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:10 pm

snapdoodle wrote:Image

Hi all,

Here's another update. We're still working on the bonuses but now we've got a legend and all the territories laid out. I believe this should be enough to meet the initial discussion criteria. So fire away.

We wait with glee.

=p

-snap and benny

Hi Snap and Benny.
Happy Holidays :)

OK here is the go....

1. I really like the style of this map...it's clean and crisp and easy to follow...that's a big plus.

2. My major concern is doing a small map for this project. As always you know you are required to produce a small map for play of max 600px w and 600 px h.
The area around the SoBro is very congested and the text is already small.
Have you downsized this map to see how that is going to come into effect and affect the legibility of map...or are you working on two sepatate maps.

3. U.E.S & L.E.S. & U.W.S. needs explanation in the legend please for all players who are not familiar with New York suburbs....just as a footnote style thing.

4. "Each train station may attack any station on that line"....are you able to attack the next station up the line, or two stations away or more....this needs more clarification.

4. "To transfer to another train line transfer station must be taken".... my workding would be "...must be held"

5. See if you can move the legend indicator for transfer stations away from "The Village" name...makes it slightly confusing.

6. Perhaps text return the "financial district" name

7. There are some discrepancies in the border thicknesses around Manhattan....and even in some other Burroughs. Border thickness is very big on the list of "to get absolutely correct" for the Foundry....it brings a great picture of professionalness to the map.

8. Can you adjust many of those angled sharp corners on territories to be more of small curves.

9. Bonus Legend looks fine to me...but others may think differently.

10. In the Village, can you attack the train station from the Village itself and vicky verka, am i reading this correctly? Perhaps note this in the legend that territories and same territory train stations border each other.
The other possibility here, is that one can attack the village stations from soho....that's why you need to clarify this in the legend.

11. the train line through Bed Stuy runs right through the name....check this in other terts also and see if you can clean this aspect up a bit.

12. i know this will probably sound "kitch" but is there a possibliity of adding Liberty Island and making an "icon" out of it, worth one bonus or something on that what i beleive is a Ferry Route - the dashed line.

13. also, is there a possiblity of moving Staten Island left, and making a one tert out of the Veranzo-Narrows Bridge.

14. North in the legend is very illegible colour....so is Pelham..perhaps give all those names drop shadows or similar to "background" them against that gray.

15. perhaps low the whiteness of the army shadows

16. gameplay wise, the area around downtown manahattan, i think has too many connections between bridges and stations. i realise this is what happens in real life, but i think it is unbalanced for the rest of the map.
are there other connects in other areas ytou can use to balance that situation up a bit.

Excellent work thought so far...you've progressed very well. :D
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby unriggable on Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:33 pm

This map looks....awesome!
Cook unriggable

Postby benny profane on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:31 pm

many thanks for the support guys...

and cairnswk...a heaping pile of thanks for the effort you put into those comments. very helpful!

we should be making an update by tomorrow...

hope everyone had a great holiday!

-benny
Lieutenant benny profane

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas