Conquer Club

CC City Mogul [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

CC City Mogul [Quenched]

Postby DiM on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:47 pm

stamps:
ImageImageImageImage

NEW GAMEPLAY

usually the dice decide the winner of a game. i have seen it many times. unlucky guy starts game deploys 3 attacks 6v3 and it ends 2v3. lucky guy attacks 6v3 and takes it with few or no losses. in some cases 2 rolls in the first round of the game already decide the winner. that's bad. but what can we do as map makers to balance the game and try to remove the random aspect? well a first step was the conquest gameplay where initial deployment doesn't matter and nobody can complain the opponent started with australia from round 1. but even on those maps a few bad rolls still matter a lot.
well what does anybody tell you when you start complaining about dice? "it's just a streak it will even out in the long run"
based on that assumption i have decided it's not worth losing 3-4 games because of bad dice until you reach the good streak of dice. so i have decided to cut the long run short and bring it to the present. how? by increasing the number of armies on the map.

imagine a 5v3 attack. roll once and if you lose 2 you stop the attack. that's crap. what if instead of rolling 5v3 you roll 50v30. will it matter if the first roll you lose 2 armies? heck no because you'll still have 48 left.
so i have decided to multiply all the armies on the map by 20 as well as changing the gameplay a bit by returning to the original idea of owning just a home and a shop in round1.

so here are the details:

each player starts with a home and a shop of his home color.

house = +40 autodeploy (starts with 40)
shop = +40 (starts with 60)
sub starts with 60
non important terits start with 40
arsonist starts with 100
manor and mall start with 300.
whole block = +60
matching shops = +40

as for the terit # bonus it will be zero because i like the rent idea. how about each non important terit gives +10 as rent? and it's autodeployable cause you have to go collect it there.

DiM wrote:here are the final images + xml

small
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250 ... copy-5.png

large
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250 ... opy-13.png

small88

small8888

large88

large8888

xml:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/x84f8b

i know the quadruple digits on the small version look a bit cramped but that's the best i can do under the circumstances. but basically such occasions will probably never exist because there's no point having thousands of armies next to eachother.

V18

removed the cc manor arsonist
made part of the xml. i still have to do the army coords and yeti has to do the bonuses.

small
Click image to enlarge.

large
Click image to enlarge.

v17
large and small with a lower opacity middle fingerprint.

large:

small:

v16
small and large with solved transparency for the sticky tape

i don't really want to make the paper look any older than it is for 2 reasons.
1. it isn't some kind of ancient treasure map it's just a simple 5 years old whiteprint
2. the coffee stains, the fingerprints, the creases folds and curled corner are enough for the old and used feeling.

large
small

V15
fixed text
created small

large:

small:

v14
*changed the legend to reflect that there's no terit bonus.

V13
ok so i have managed to play just a few games with my friends but i played other games with myself (don't think dirty thoughts). to be honest i haven't managed to reach a conclusion. i have tried the map with a 20 multiplier with a 10 and with 5 and it played almost the same (a bit more aggressive with the 20). not knowing exactly what needs to be done here i'm deciding on the lowest multiplier. that's 5. after a few games are played perhaps i will up it to 10 or more based on feedback received. i guess it's better to start low and then increase if necessary. so here's another update with a 5 multiplier:

-changed the multiplier to 5
-changed the neutral values
-changed the neighbourhood bonus.
-tweaked the curled corner.

V12

removed the cookie and dice
moved the hand print
fixed legend
changed neutral values and bonuses

v11

after trying glows and strokes and stuff like that on icons i found nothing that looked good. so i started tweaking the background but by making it lighter and lighter i totally strayed from the blueprint feeling so now i give you the whiteprint (cairns and yeti please shut up)

if anybody still has issues seeing icons or text then i'll officially tell you you're blind as a bat.

V10

tweaked the gameplay and changed some borders. now the enemies are right in next to you in a very weird situation.

here is V9
updated gameplay
fixed crumbs shadow.

total # of terits: 84

each player will have a home and several other terits that aren't declared as starting neutrals.
each home will have 5 troops.

the following terits will start as neutral:
mall - 15
manor - 15
arsonist - 5
subways - 3
shops - 3

you got an apartment and dad's old trinket shop in CC City. the shop only makes around 1k per month. barely enough to survive let alone fulfil your dream of being the richest man in town. so using those money and cunning strategy you start taking over other small businesses. get more profitand ultimately get yourself the dream house CC manor and a mega shop in CC mall.

to help you along the way there will also be various "individuals" that once under your payroll will sabotage the competition. as they say all is fair in love and war. and this is both love (for the money) and war (to kill the competition).

the image is crappy. i know. don't even comment on the graphics they will come in due time. what i want is GAMEPLAY feedback.

there will be around 100 terits. the terits will have 1 or 2 squares. for example the subway is 1 square but your home is 2 squares, etc.

each player starts with a house and a shop all the rest are neutral.

your shop will give you 1k$ per month.
1k$=1 troop.
1 month=1 turn.
all the subway stations will connect
no diagonal attacks inside a block.
movement between blocks is made via subway or by crossing the street where marked with a crossing sign.

all over town there will be various other shops to buy (conquer) and each will bring a small profit of 1k. getting a whole block will mean you have managed to get loyal customers in that block and that will double the income from the stores you own in that block.

there will be 5 store types in the city each with 4 shops. get all the shops of the same kind an you have a monopole on that certain product. profit goes up 50%. so instead of getting 4k$ you get 6k.

also to help you on the way to glory there will be various "not so legal" businesses that can "take care" of competition.
arsonists, thieves, extortionists, etc. they can bombard any shop of the competition but because the police is watching closely 10k$ you leave on the premises of those "shops" will be given to the police as bribe each turn. (this actually means there will be a decay of 10 troops per turn on those terits :P)
here's the image. and again please i don't want comments on graphics. i want feedback on gameplay. i know the image lacks even the basic stuff like terits and names but before i add those i want to see if the idea is liked, then i'll add those and we'll fine tune the gameplay.

V8
changed all colours to the new ones introduced on CC
added cookie
added 2 more arsonists on E4 and W5
reduced map to 800*800
various other tinkering.

V7

curl

V6
new coffee stains, fingerprints and dice.

V5
added a few folds and creases to create a 3d aspect to the blueprint :D

V4
i added terit names. removed the park, and that's about it.

the following terits will start as neutral:
mall - 15
manor - 15
arsonist - 5
subways - 3
shops - 3

each player will start with a home and the rest of the terits will be randomly divided.

v3

v2 new gameplay:

v1. new image with shops homes crossings,etc.
Last edited by DiM on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 37 times in total.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Herakilla on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:01 pm

*can barely hold comments on graphics*

i love the idea!

you just need better graphics! oops it slipped, i swear!
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby DiM on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:10 pm

Herakilla wrote:*can barely hold comments on graphics*

i love the idea!

you just need better graphics! oops it slipped, i swear!

shut up on the graphics :evil:

well, at least you like the idea :D

btw i added a new image with borders of all terits.
Last edited by DiM on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby mibi on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:14 pm

yeah the idea is good and the gfx are in the right direction. there needs to be more city maps on CC anyways.

ps. City Mogul sounds better than CC City Mogul
Captain mibi

Postby DiM on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:22 pm

actually i haven't decided on the name. that's why it's still not on the map. i just whipped something fast to put as the thread title :)

so both you and hera like the idea. but i need more specific suggestions.

like are the arsonists a good idea. will the add flavor to the gameplay? is the monopole and the block fidelity bonuses good? or do they make the map too complicated?

also i'm gonna need a lot of suggestions on the shop types and most of all terit names. i need short names.

PS: just counted the terits. there are 96 at the moment. may increase to 100.
Major DiM

Postby Herakilla on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:51 pm

i would say the arsonists are a good idea, then you can resort to the more dirtier side of becoming the richest....:) and you get to play with fire!

i thought the monopoly idea was implied to be good, if you wanted you could even have a third "transportation" that way you can gain a vertical monopoly
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby DiM on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:09 pm

i've updated the first post image with all the shops. i've decided to put 16 shops plus the starting 8 so a total of 24. and they will be split in 6 types of shops. this means that if you want a monopole then you must take one of the shops that the opponents start with.

also added crossings and stuff.

going to sleep now. please comment on anything related to gameplay.

all terits can be modified moved switched etc. shops subs crossings can also be moved or deleted.
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:17 am

Like the idea...

The monopolies and crimes are good plans...

I assume you will be blocking "territory bonus"? (i.e. 12 terits give you 4 armies?)

Also - this will have to wait for the new XML - but I know you knew that!!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:26 am

yeti_c wrote:Like the idea...

The monopolies and crimes are good plans...

I assume you will be blocking "territory bonus"? (i.e. 12 terits give you 4 armies?)

Also - this will have to wait for the new XML - but I know you knew that!!

C.

indeed there will be either no terit bonus or a really small one. mainly the incentive to conquer the extra spaces will be to get the block fidelity bonus.

as for the xml i didn't know it's not possible.

custom bonus for number of terits is possible
bombardments are possible.
and the bonuses should be possible. i think.
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:22 am

Starting locations need the next update.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:29 am

yeti_c wrote:Starting locations need the next update.

C.

ah yes. forgot about that.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:21 am

actually i'm redesigning the gameplay and there will be no problem with the xml. i don't need the starting locations thinghy :D

will post image soon.
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:34 am

DiM wrote:actually i'm redesigning the gameplay and there will be no problem with the xml. i don't need the starting locations thinghy :D

will post image soon.

Judging by the Lacks presence in the XML thread - I'd assuming it's close!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:42 am

yeti_c wrote:
DiM wrote:actually i'm redesigning the gameplay and there will be no problem with the xml. i don't need the starting locations thinghy :D

will post image soon.

C.

i'm not changing gameplay because this feature isn't available. i'm changing it because i don't want people to start with 2 locations and i don't want them to start in predefined points. i need something like the age of realms where 8 terits are available and players start randomly with them.
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:02 pm

DiM wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

will post image soon.

C.

i'm not changing gameplay because this feature isn't available. i'm changing it because i don't want people to start with 2 locations and i don't want them to start in predefined points. i need something like the age of realms where 8 terits are available and players start randomly with them.

The starting points will be random (in a similar way to AOR) but you will be able to give them more than one random place.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:52 pm

but i don't need more than 1 place for the new design bellow

need feedback

everything except the homes start as neutral. with various numbers.

Major DiM

Postby rebelman on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:09 pm

big thumbs up on gameplay and concept as for graphics - "it's lovely" (that's what I say to my daughter when she shows me her scribbles)
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:23 pm

rebelman wrote:big thumbs up on gameplay and concept as for graphics - "it's lovely" (that's what I say to my daughter when she shows me her scribbles)

i don't need comments on graphics. those will be at a later stage. i want to iron out the gameplay and then i'll do the graphics.

so gameplay feedback please. everybody says great idea or good gameplay but i feel somehow the gameplay is still problematic and needs balancing.

let me explain how it goes so far.

each player starts with a home (like A4). this home will give him 1k$ each month from daddy. the rest is up to him. each player will start in a separate district (marked by a different colour) in each district there's a subway station and 2 shops. getting the whole district means you get the block fidelity bonus of +2k$ per turn. on the map there are 20 shops (actually there are 22 i'll remove 2) and those 20 shops will be split into 4 different types. getting all 5 shops of the same type means you get the monopole bonus of +2k$
there are also 2 areas that don't belong to any district. each area is attackable only by subway and holds 2 shops. those shops will be the missing ones to get the monopole.

right near the manor there's an arsonist/extortionist/thug operation. holding that will allow you to bombard any shop on the map but each turn you'll lose 10k$ as bribe (it means that terit has a -10 decay).

the mall and the manor are your objective. hold them for 1 turn and you become CC City Mogul.

anything is up for discussion. please comment what you don't like (except graphics)
Major DiM

Postby Herakilla on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:21 pm

from my experiences with age of realms i must say i am very adverse to having subways within 1 conquer (one territory in between) away from houses and shops
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:47 pm

I like the idea, but this Large map may actually benefit from being not quite so huge...perhaps a little less height. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Herakilla on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:43 pm

you need to get oakland in here while you are talking about gameplay
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby DiM on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:39 am

Herakilla wrote:from my experiences with age of realms i must say i am very adverse to having subways within 1 conquer (one territory in between) away from houses and shops

i like open maps with lots of movement options and no australia type continents.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:41 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I like the idea, but this Large map may actually benefit from being not quite so huge...perhaps a little less height. :)

--Andy

it's 800*800. it's within the guidelines and it has 90 terits :D
but the graphics aren't yet up for discussion since heavy gameplay modifications may influence the layout.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 am

Herakilla wrote:you need to get oakland in here while you are talking about gameplay

*paging doctor oaktown*
*dr oaktown please report to the mogul map*
:lol:
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:20 pm

You may wish to insert the neutrals to get some better gameplay feedback :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Next

Return to The Atlas