Conquer Club

Forbidden City [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Forbidden City [Quenched]

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:04 am

e_i_pi wrote:Okay, I haven't read through all the posts here, so apologies if this has been raised cairns.

I am playing a doubles 6 player game on this map (Game 4884171), and found a weird forting thing going on. I was able to fort along the Meridian despite not owning any Emperors...

2009-05-31 09:14:59 - e_i_pi reinforced Japan with 1 troops from Hall of Preserving Harmony

Now, I didn't hold anything along the Meridian, aside from the north gates. So I guess the chain was...

Hall of Preserving Harmony ->
Shenwu Men West ->
Russia ->
Japan

But, the instructinos on the side say...
Emperors can attack territories along or bordering yellow Imperial Meridian & vice versa

To me, this means Emperors can attack along the Meridian, and territories along the Meridian can attack Emperors. But it doesn't imply that territories along the Meridian can attack other (non-adjacent) territories along the Meridian (which would explain why I could fort along the Meridian).

Is this an oversight in the instructions, an XML problem, or a chain fort code problem?

Code: Select all
2009-06-02 00:03:01 - saito hadjime assaulted Emps. T'zu-hsi from Wu Men and conquered it from e_i_pi

this tells me that you held this old bird who borders Shenwu Men West which probably enabled you to fort Japan thru Russia, yes? If this is the case, this is not bad, that old dear had her fingers in so many foreign pies....
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby e_i_pi on Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:51 pm

cairnswk wrote:
2009-06-02 00:03:01 - saito hadjime assaulted Emps. T'zu-hsi from Wu Men and conquered it from e_i_pi

this tells me that you held this old bird who borders Shenwu Men West which probably enabled you to fort Japan thru Russia, yes? If this is the case, this is not bad, that old dear had her fingers in so many foreign pies....

Doh yes I did have the Empress. Sorry cairns, false alarm. My teammate was meant to take that off me the moment I forted him the stack :lol:
Captain e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:25 am

The border between Yo and Cheng either needs to be taken out, or needs to be able to be seen. I recently got screwed in a game because I couldn't make out the border, which is almost imperceptable due to the Meridian line
Captain e_i_pi

Postby iancanton on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 am

cairnswk wrote:

the xml needs to have the empress' name changed from t'zu-hsi to tz'u hsi to match both the map and the historic spelling.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/612105/Cixi

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:22 am

e_i_pi wrote:The border between Yo and Cheng either needs to be taken out, or needs to be able to be seen. I recently got screwed in a game because I couldn't make out the border, which is almost imperceptable due to the Meridian line

To solve this i've added an arrow between the two...

Click image to enlarge.

iancanton wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

the xml needs to have the empress' name changed from t'zu-hsi to tz'u hsi to match both the map and the historic spelling.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/612105/Cixi

ian. :)

adjusted as per below

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/forbidden_city_240410.xml
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:23 am

Private cairnswk

Postby Faro on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:08 pm

I have a question for you on this map in order to be sure I understand how it works for the corridors:

- I can go true only one border indicators right?

Example:
USA can attack France but cannot attack Germany.
USA can attack Inland Mission but not Christian?

Emp Pu Yi can only attack KTM Army or it's like for the door you can go true 2 borders?

But overall that map is fun and interesting to play on.
Sergeant 1st Class Faro

Postby MrBenn on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Faro wrote:I have a question for you on this map in order to be sure I understand how it works for the corridors:

- I can go true only one border indicators right?

Example:
USA can attack France but cannot attack Germany.
USA can attack Inland Mission but not Christian?

Emp Pu Yi can only attack KTM Army or it's like for the door you can go true 2 borders?

But overall that map is fun and interesting to play on.

Yes - you are right. The borders can be confusing unless you look carefully.

USA borders (and can attack) France, Britain and Inland Mission.

Emp Pu Yi borders (and can attack) KTM Army, Emps Tzu-Hsi, and all the territories along the yellow/orange line up the middle of the map, including Shenwu Men East and Shenwu Men West.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Glen Perry on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:15 am

I have played this map a few times and I still dont understand it. My main problem is the Border Indicators - I have no idea how they work and why I cant attack USA from Germany etc.

Is there somewhere I can to read how to play this damn thing ?

Ta
Lieutenant Glen Perry

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:31 am

Basically, the regions around the edges of the map are really long and thin, but otherwise their borders are like every other map.

As an example, I've colour-coded some regions like so:

eg. You can see that Germany (purple) is only adjacent to France (green).

Is that clear enough?
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby chapcrap on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:41 pm

I think that ManB stated it clearly, but I must admit, I agree with Glen Perry a lot about the border confusion here.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby cairnswk on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:59 pm

I think that yes there is confusion about about borders which has always been the case, simply becasue people can't follow regions, diagrams and gameplay instructions which clearly define where there is a border (the little synbol) and can't tell where or don't look where one region joins or doesn't join another. Sorry to be so scathing. :(
There was a lot of discsussion over how to fix this, and the current map was felt the bet fix at the time.
So far, i've never heard a solution that fixes this nor one that everyone agrees on. :shock:
Private cairnswk

Postby chapcrap on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:01 pm

cairnswk wrote:I think that yes there is confusion about about borders which has always been the case, simply becasue people can't follow regions and diagrams and can't tell where or don't look where one region joins or doesn't join another. Sorry to be so scathing. :(
There was a lot of discsussion over how to fix this, and the current map was felt the bet fix at the time.
So far, i never heard a solution that fixes this nor one that everyone agrees on. :shock:

Maybe the territories within a bonus could have slightly different shades? Similar to ManB's picture?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby cairnswk on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:10 pm

chapcrap wrote:
cairnswk wrote:I think that yes there is confusion about about borders which has always been the case, simply becasue people can't follow regions and diagrams and can't tell where or don't look where one region joins or doesn't join another. Sorry to be so scathing. :(
So far, i never heard a solution that fixes this nor one that everyone agrees on. :shock:

Maybe the territories within a bonus could have slightly different shades? Similar to ManB's picture?

Well, no, doing this would not give the "continent" colour for differentiation, and i can see clearly that Nation Alln. is pale pink as per the legend.
Creatingn patterns on this area would give it unnecessary business which would clash with the border symbols.

The original post from Glen Perry, where he cannot work out why USA cannot attack Germany, is that there are two border indiactors between those countries.
USA borders Britain, Inland Missions and France.
Germany border France only.

EDIT: I appreciate some of my maps are not easy, but in that they are designed to show people that the traditional odd shape or region/continent shape is not the only form of having border concpets. Otherwise, i woudln't have also developed the Rail concept. :)

Private cairnswk

Postby chapcrap on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:54 am

cairnswk wrote:
chapcrap wrote:

Well, no, doing this would not give the "continent" colour for differentiation, and i can see clearly that Nation Alln. is pale pink as per the legend.

I meant something similar to Eurasia. Each continent has a color theme, but different shaded territories.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Gilligan on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:57 am

That might screw with the flags.

IMO, I understand the original confusion, but after playing this map only a time or two the connections should become apparent. It works the same as normal connections, just long and snake-y. Start at the "blotch" of the territory in question, and just follow the trail till you hit some other territories.
Major Gilligan

Previous

Return to The Atlas