Conquer Club

Europe 1914 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Europe 1914 [Quenched]

Postby herschal on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:08 pm

This map is amazing! IMO it is the best map on the sight. One annoying thing is that for some reason a lot of people don't know the objectives. I won a game on it because I was the only one out of the 4 people who knew the objective, which was good for me but not as satisfying. Also, once people get large "empires" if you will and the middle continents are controled by one or two people It becomes much more easy for the people in the middle to get their objectives than who ever has either russia or france/Italy/The UK. I'm not sure if this is a problem that needs to be fixed though because it makes it interesting.
Once again, I LOVE THIS MAP!
Private herschal

Postby Bruceswar on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:33 pm

oaktown wrote:I've jumped into my first game on this map - I think London will be OK at 6, but I'll get back to you before we drop the BETA tag.

As it is right now London is worthless. Why have a worthless bonus. Only thing this causes is a noob to suicide into it trying to take london. Nobody with 2 cents will ever take london... Just a thought.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby oaktown on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
oaktown wrote:I've jumped into my first game on this map - I think London will be OK at 6, but I'll get back to you before we drop the BETA tag.

As it is right now London is worthless. Why have a worthless bonus. Only thing this causes is a noob to suicide into it trying to take london. Nobody with 2 cents will ever take london... Just a thought.

I'm in a couple of games, and London sat for a while but was eventually taken - if it falls too quickly it gives a significant advantage to the holder. Personally I would have preferred to have seen a lower bonus and a lower neutral value - make it a +1 for the region and a 4 to start - but the mapmaker wants the game to play this way. If it was a serious problem I'd push him to change it, but as is it's in balance with the map.
Captain oaktown

Postby Qwert on Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:56 pm

I must say that 6 neutral is not so big like you think. Ofcourse you can not take in first turn,but with flat cards london can fall very fast. UK worth very much and map must be balanced. I opserve many games,and i must say that many games are finished with Capturing objectives( and i mean bouth objectives not only central objectives).
Like i say if you have drop in England then you have nice chance to take UK and get very nice bonus +3. So i dont think that UK is not worth to take.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby iancanton on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm

qwert wrote:if you have drop in England then you have nice chance to take UK and get very nice bonus +3.

i thought that england (london) starts neutral, so that u can't have a drop in england. it is a good bonus though.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby saaimen on Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:54 pm

qwert wrote: I opserve many games,and i must say that many games are finished with Capturing objectives( and i mean bouth objectives not only central objectives).

But the Central objectives are attained more often, no?
I think they are easier, closer together. The two outmost Central capitals are only 6 regions apart.
Which is not criticism, of course, I like the map a lot!
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby lt_oddball on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:29 am

Just finished one 1914 game;

This "capture 4 capitols" ending came as a surprise;

Although it says so in the top, I'd thought it would be only effective in Elimination game.

1) The Central capitols are so much easier to get than the Entente..this is a heavy unbalance.
Think of something to fix this.
For example, 4 entente capitols versus 4 central capitols AND intact 3 (out of 4) central nations
2) in the text it should say that the game ends prematurely when you capture and HOLD the 4 capitols for ONE turn!
3) the one taking britain has a lead on the player struggling to conquer France or Germany (small bonuszone next to big bonuszones).
Once britain is in the hands of a player, then Paris will fall in british hands guaranteed.
This needs a fix; Britain should have one or two more territories.

Greetz
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

Postby FarangDemon on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:15 pm

Continent Bonuses

I don't think UK is too easy to get. There are 6 neutral armies on London, which is a big deterrent. I actually think France is easier to get, or at least in my game, it was secured before UK. Compared to other continents that provide 5, it is much easier to hold than Germany or Austria because the number of entry points you have to guard is 4 vs 6. Balkans have 5 entry points and provide a bonus of only 3, so its harder to hold than France and you get less.

So in my opinion, the map is pretty well balanced, continent bonus-wise. If anything, I think it might make more sense to make Balkans 4 instead of only 3. I don't think this is ruining the game, but it might help to balance it a bit more.

Objectives

At first glance, it might look easier to hold the Central Powers capitals than the 4 non-contiguous Entente capitals. I thought this, too, at first. However, it must be recognized that it is generally easier to get continents on the outsides first, because they are usually easier to defend. What I mean is that it is much easier to get the 3 western Entente continents (5 borders if you hold the 14 regions in UK, France, Italy) than any 3 Central Powers continents (10 borders if you have the 18 regions in Germany, Austria, Balkans; 7 borders if you have the 19 regions in Austria, Balkans, Turkey). So it makes sense that obtaining the last Entente capital, St. Petersburg, should be a bit harder than obtaining the last Central Powers capital, because it is significantly easier to obtain the first 3 Entente vs Central Powers continents (and hence, their capitals).

In conclusion, I believe the objectives are reasonably well balanced.
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby oaktown on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:12 pm

FarangDemon wrote:In conclusion, I believe the objectives are reasonably well balanced.

I agree... if objectives are easy to capture, they are also easier to lose.
Captain oaktown

Postby lord slayer on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:49 pm

I've been involved in a game on this map for a few weeks now. No spoils. I grabbed the UK early on, and have managed to hold it the whole game. An opponent has held the balkans, while no one else has been able to hold a continent. There's been an interesting back and forth between the balkans and UK, and the game has dragged on like the real WWI.

That's just to say that I love the map - any game that lasts this long is great by me.
Private 1st Class lord slayer

Postby oaktown on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:21 pm

lord slayer wrote:I've been involved in a game on this map for a few weeks now. No spoils. I grabbed the UK early on, and have managed to hold it the whole game. An opponent has held the balkans, while no one else has been able to hold a continent. There's been an interesting back and forth between the balkans and UK, and the game has dragged on like the real WWI.

That's just to say that I love the map - any game that lasts this long is great by me.

If nothing else, this post shows that the London neutral value isn't too big in at least some games.

I'm going to recommend this be de-BETA'd. =D>
Captain oaktown

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:21 pm

Ermm...
Headlines wrote:Headlines

Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:01 pm
[Maps]
Europe 1914 out of Beta

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby oaktown on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:26 pm

My bad... I guess it needs to be moved out of here then. :D
Captain oaktown

Europe 1914 is worng

Postby jarrett155 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:04 am

Is anyone else bugged by the fact that the Europe 1914 map is historically incorrect? Italy was a central power in 1914.
Major jarrett155

Re: Europe 1914 is worng

Postby miniwally on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:15 am

no it wasn't
Private 1st Class miniwally

Postby MrBenn on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 am

[merged] into the appropriate place ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Elijah S on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:08 pm

Objectives are misleading.
I'm in a doubles game where my partner just captured all of the central powers capitals.
My understanding of "game objectives" is that when someone acheives one, the game is won.

This was my first game on this map and I think it could be better stated on the map that acheiving an objective does not win the game.
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Europe 1914

Postby Elijah S on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:13 pm

The map states that holding vienna, berlin, sofia and constantinople is a "gameplay objective", but acquiring those capitals does not win the game.
In our first go on this map, my partner captured the above capitals and it did nothing.
I think it should be stated somewhere on the map that it doesn't win the game, in fact, I think it's very misleading.
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Re: Europe 1914

Postby Woodruff on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:23 pm

Elijah S wrote:The map states that holding vienna, berlin, sofia and constantinople is a "gameplay objective", but acquiring those capitals does not win the game.
In our first go on this map, my partner captured the above capitals and it did nothing.
I think it should be stated somewhere on the map that it doesn't win the game, in fact, I think it's very misleading.

The $1,000,000 question is...did your partner HOLD THOSE CAPITALS UNTIL HIS NEXT TURN?

THAT is the key here, I do believe.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby AceArtemis on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:49 pm

Some maps have objectives which you must conquer and hold for one round to win the game.

From the Instructions for CC.
Lieutenant AceArtemis

Postby saaimen on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:52 am

Elijah S wrote:Objectives are misleading.
I'm in a doubles game where my partner just captured all of the central powers capitals.
My understanding of "game objectives" is that when someone acheives one, the game is won.

This was my first game on this map and I think it could be better stated on the map that acheiving an objective does not win the game.

I've had the same problem. It says "capture". It should say "hold for one turn". You'll see.
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby Night Strike on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Merged from Sugs/Bugs.
Major Night Strike

Europe-1914,

Postby sheunghei on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:02 am

I (sheunghei) and my friend(black friday) played a 2-player game on the europe 1914 map (4633593) today, and suddenly, the game ends and the game log said that I have lose the game:

2009-04-08 01:50:35 - Black Friday held the Central Power Capitals objective
2009-04-08 01:50:35 - Black Friday won the game
2009-04-08 01:50:35 - sheunghei loses 19 points
2009-04-08 01:50:35 - Black Friday gains 19 points

But later, my friend said to me by phone that he had lose the game too, and he saw that in the game log, I win the game by held the Central Power Capitals objective and gain 19 pt instead of I losing.
Corporal 1st Class sheunghei

Re: Europe-1914,

Postby Joodoo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:37 am

are you saying your friend lost points even though he won the game?
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Re: Europe-1914,

Postby Timminz on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:00 pm

Your friend is mistaken.
Captain Timminz

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas