Conquer Club

World 2.0/1 Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

World 2.0/1 Map [Quenched]

Postby zim on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:09 pm

Hi relatively new to CC but am loving it and would like to contribute something to the community. My initial thought was a relatively accurate world map with substantially different dynamics than classic (though I haven't given the continent bonuses, etc. much though). I've done a mock up of my initial thinking (it's 1245x600 so if the 800x600 is a hard limit I'll have to do some scaling) shown here.

I'd like to guage whether there is interest and also whether 1200x600 is possible or should I wield the eraser.

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. The current version as of October 25 looks like:

Last edited by zim on Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant zim

Postby Gilligan on Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:00 pm

a lotta territories
Major Gilligan

Postby P Gizzle on Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:02 pm

Great for Battle Royale! you should definitely do it.
Gridiron Gang- CC's largest Clan!
Cook P Gizzle

Postby devilseyesdd on Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:20 pm

should be like for tornements and for more then 8 players and should be able to pick wat contried u want cause that would suck to be scatered on that map
Cook devilseyesdd

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:27 pm

One obvious problem is country dispersion. Take a look at the west, and then look at Africa and beyond. Would be rather difficult to fit names and army shadows in the smaller areas.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby spiesr on Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:26 pm

Accuracy generaly=not so good playability
Captain spiesr

Postby slash1890 on Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:03 pm

I don't know. It'd be a very difficult idea to pursue, but I'm pretty interested to see how it would turn out.
Corporal slash1890

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:22 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:One obvious problem is country dispersion. Take a look at the west, and then look at Africa and beyond. Would be rather difficult to fit names and army shadows in the smaller areas.

This is obviously why the classic map is that way we all know. It simply cant have all real countries.
Major Marvaddin

Postby sully800 on Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:59 pm

I've also been thinking about a World Map instead of the classic map....one with a lot of countries compared to the classic map. However you can't include EVERY country you have on your map right now because as others said the playability would be terrible. Many of the smaller countries would need to be consolidated into larger ones....and some of the larger ones could possibly be broken up into smaller ones. But if you do that then you are on the path of literally recreating the classic map....so I don't know.

One thing to consider if you want to do this would be adding Antarctica.
Major sully800

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:03 am

Error:You have east and west malalaysia as two different countries.

Good luck making this map.

Edit: Also alaska and the US.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Further thinking on a 'relatively' realistic world map.

Postby zim on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:09 pm

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I think I'm going to give it a shot or at least take it a few steps further.

I've taken a stab at adding (114) army circles just to see if/how things would fit. Had to take a few liberties combining a few countries (please don't lose your mind/flame me if I merged your home land with an arch rival, etc., no socio-political intent on my part just trying for a workable circle fit) and splitting two (Indonesia in to several parts and Malaysia into Asian mainland and Bornean island parts), the goal was to remain as true to actual political geography as possible. I think the result is tight but workable with perhaps a few more creative mergers in Africa.

The continents aren't balanced in terms of number of territories (see list below) however they are not bad in terms of border counts and I think the territory disparities could be overcome by continent bonuses and perhaps some points for holding certain 'strategic' territories.

North America:
10 territories, 4 borders (Alaska, Greenland, Panama, Caribbean)

South America
12 territories, 5 borders (Columbia, Venezuela, Brazil, Tierra Del Feugo [two connections - South Africa and Fiji])

Africa
34 territories, 5 borders (South Africa [two connections - Australia and Tierra Del Feugo] , Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Somalia)

Europe
20 territories, 7 borders (Iceland, Spain, Corsica, Turkey, Ukraine, 'Baltics', Finland)

Asia
30 territories, 7 borders ('Holy Land', Syria, 'Caucasus', Russia [multiple connections Finland, 'Baltics' and Ukraine in the west and Alaska in the east), Yemen, 'Asian Malasia')

Oceania
8 Territories, 3 borders (Australia [by sea to South Africa], Fiji [by sea to Tierra Del Feugo], 'Sumatran Indonesia' [to 'Asian Malasia'])

What do you think?
Lieutenant zim

Postby sully800 on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:31 pm

Keep in mind that you still need to make the map smaller (and smaller once again for the small size!) and you currently don't have any country names on the map. The problem with small countries is usually not the army shadows but the name.

You are definitely going to have to consolidate small countries to fit the names in there.
Major sully800

Postby P Gizzle on Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:14 pm

you could put numbers where the country's name usually is and then make a list of names. you would only have to do this for the small countries
Gridiron Gang- CC's largest Clan!
Cook P Gizzle

Postby Herakilla on Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:26 pm

i just wanna say that that is a s**tload od countries, and oddly, i like it! carry on then
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby sully800 on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:31 pm

P Gizzle wrote:you could put numbers where the country's name usually is and then make a list of names. you would only have to do this for the small countries

I think that would make things terribly hard to figure out and to pay attention where you're attacking.

Plus it would lead to a massive key.
Major sully800

Postby Molacole on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:41 pm

Are you planning on making a ton of bonuses? I think it looks good if you break down each continent and give it it's own colour for each area. Like Africa for example... You could use the information from the regular Africa map on CC to determine groups of bonus territories. I think it would be pretty interesting to see over 30 bonus areas up for grabs.
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:21 am

Its a good idea, but sadly I still think its not playable. No names, no game. You really need split the big countries and merge some more countries.

Ps: by the way, you forgot Denmark.
Major Marvaddin

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:43 am

lolol so you split up malaysia and indonesia but leave russia as is... at least split it into asian and european russia.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Next round...

Postby zim on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:40 pm

A few more country mergers and names. Pretty cluttered but work able?

And just for kicks who says north is up? Maybe "the enemies gate is down"? Definately makes better use of the 800 pixel limit but?

Cheers,

Zim
Lieutenant zim

Postby edmundomcpot on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:00 pm

i really like the map....just keep it the right way round
Would you choose supremecy if it lead to isolation?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Cook edmundomcpot

Postby happysadfun on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:07 pm

Good map. But get rid of the little apostrophes. Malaysia would be the continental part. The insular part would be Malasian Borneo.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby onbekende on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:12 pm

Nice work so far, good I can fight for Benelux. If needed, some other can be split and others put tugether. Like England+Ierland=UK, and Rusland=European Russia+Asian Russia
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby spiesr on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:13 pm

No offense, but this map is terrible...
Captain spiesr

Postby onbekende on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:15 pm

Also tip, go back some decades, bigger nations and colonies
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby happysadfun on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:26 pm

And it wouldn't hurt to merge western sahara and morocco. the latter conquered the former. ireland+britain does not equal uk and never will! You should merge more little countries and split big ones like brazil, us, canada, and russia. it would be way too hard to hold russia. 8 borders could be a continent in itself! Hey that's a pretty good idea i made. Split Russia up and make it a continent! And Indonesia is widely considered to be Asian rather than Australian. But keep the Papua in there.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Next

Return to The Atlas