Conquer Club

Monsters! - Battle for the Powerstones

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Monsters! [D GP GR XML BETA] - QUENCHED!

Postby Gilligan on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:21 am

*an honored wizard
Major Gilligan

Monsters! - REVAMP REQUEST

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:02 pm

I know this map has been in play for quite a while now but I have been considering how much I really hate how lightening bolt and the spells work in general. I have been studying game design and theory quite a bit for the past few years and was thinking it may be time to to a slight revamp to this map. At least to the two spells.

Basically the dead end that lightening bolt is, is simply not fun... when your down to just that territory it becomes a grind to have to take your turn. I would rather get rid of that dead end and change it to killer. And I would like to add the ability to assault back to the powerstone that the spells are attached to so that you can reinforce out back to the powerstone, which helps a bit with mind blast but mainly helps with that dead end on lightening bolt.

They are currently

- "Mind Blast" can assault any runebound monster. Killer 3.
- "Lightning Bolt" can bombard any powerstone or shield.

I was thinking they may be better utilized like this.

- "Mind Blast" can assault any runebound monster and its powerstone.
- "Lightning Bolt" can bombard any powerstone or shield and assault its powerstone.
- Both spells are Killer 3 and reset to 3 every turn when held.

Any thoughts from the foundry folks about this possible change to gameplay?

I would also like to take a clean up pass on the graphics as I have learned a lot about photoshop since doing this map.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! - QUENCHED! - Considering GP Revamp

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:55 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Hold 5 blue wizards for a bonus of +4.
Wizards 1,2,3,4 are together, but wizard 5 is lost in the woods and surrounded by the red wizards. So W5 region does not touch any of the other blue wizards.

Let your imagination run wild.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:25 pm

MoB Deadly wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Hold 5 blue wizards for a bonus of +4.
Wizards 1,2,3,4 are together, but wizard 5 is lost in the woods and surrounded by the red wizards. So W5 region does not touch any of the other blue wizards.

Let your imagination run wild.

;)
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby EricPhail on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:34 pm

How about just adding a losing condition - you must hold a territory on the main map or you are defeated?
It solves your useless turns problem without making any major changes to a know and played map
Sergeant 1st Class EricPhail

Re: Monsters! - REVAMP REQUEST

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:37 pm

dolomite13 wrote:I know this map has been in play for quite a while now but I have been considering how much I really hate how lightening bolt and the spells work in general. I have been studying game design and theory quite a bit for the past few years and was thinking it may be time to to a slight revamp to this map. At least to the two spells.

Basically the dead end that lightening bolt is, is simply not fun... when your down to just that territory it becomes a grind to have to take your turn. I would rather get rid of that dead end and change it to killer. And I would like to add the ability to assault back to the powerstone that the spells are attached to so that you can reinforce out back to the powerstone, which helps a bit with mind blast but mainly helps with that dead end on lightening bolt.

They are currently

- "Mind Blast" can assault any runebound monster. Killer 3.
- "Lightning Bolt" can bombard any powerstone or shield.

I was thinking they may be better utilized like this.

- "Mind Blast" can assault any runebound monster and its powerstone.
- "Lightning Bolt" can bombard any powerstone or shield and assault its powerstone.
- Both spells are Killer 3 and reset to 3 every turn when held.

Any thoughts from the foundry folks about this possible change to gameplay?

I would also like to take a clean up pass on the graphics as I have learned a lot about photoshop since doing this map.

=D13=

I actually like how the spells work now.

I would definitely not like them both to reset to neutral. Keeping a lightning bolt as an oracle in a foggy game is one of my favourite strategies.

A graphics revamp for it is a nice idea, but please don't change the game play. It's brilliant just the way it is!
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby chapcrap on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:28 pm

I agree with Dukasaur.

The bolt should not reset. As for the proposed attacking changes, having the Mind Blast attack it's own powerstone is pointless if it resets and I'm fine with having the Lightning Bolt attack it's own powerstone, but that is also pointless if it resets.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:31 pm

EricPhail wrote:How about just adding a losing condition - you must hold a territory on the main map or you are defeated?
It solves your useless turns problem without making any major changes to a know and played map

Oooo that might be the way to go...

Dukasaur wrote:I actually like how the spells work now.
I would definitely not like them both to reset to neutral. Keeping a lightning bolt as an oracle in a foggy game is one of my favourite strategies.
A graphics revamp for it is a nice idea, but please don't change the game play. It's brilliant just the way it is!

My main concern was getting stuck on the lightening bolt and having to play your turns out ... Eric's comment above would solve the problem as I see it and not change the overall strategy at all.

I would love to add "must hold a monster or wizard or you are eliminated" to the game and clean up the graphics a bit if it's OK with the foundry forman.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:39 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
EricPhail wrote:How about just adding a losing condition - you must hold a territory on the main map or you are defeated?

Oooo that might be the way to go...

Dukasaur wrote:I actually like how the spells work now.

My main concern was getting stuck on the lightening bolt and having to play your turns out ... Eric's comment above would solve the problem as I see it and not change the overall strategy at all.

I would love to add "must hold a monster or wizard or you are eliminated" to the game and clean up the graphics a bit if it's OK with the foundry forman.

=D13=

I like the idea of both adding the losing condition and the graphics update. I've been in games in the past where I've been stuck on Lightning Bolt and it's definitely not fun, especially since you're seen as not being a threat and are usually left there for turns while the player killing everyone else takes care of cleaning up the rest of the map.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby codierose on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:00 pm

just one question is the map broke
Lieutenant codierose

Postby IcePack on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:12 pm

Im in favor of no GP revamp, but graphics and something to eliminate the one LB issue you mentioned would be ok..
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:09 pm

codierose wrote:just one question is the map broke

Not really ... except that someone could end up with a lot of forces stranded on lightening bolt and if they deadbeat due to disinterest it could take days to move a game along.... This has been the biggest criticism of the map and is something that can be solved with the one minor proposed change.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Dako on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:05 am

GP is fine, and losing condition is a good idea. Graphics are fine to me, but if you have some ideas in mind than just show them ;).
Colonel Dako

Postby chapcrap on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:29 am

I think you ignored what I said about the Lightning Bolt and Mind Blast though. If they reset, there is no point to have them attack the powerstone that attacks them. It's a pointless function.

I am fine with looking into a losing condition, but I think that does change the team game aspect as far as strategy goes. It changes all games for that matter. So, I would not implement that without a lot of discussion first.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:46 pm

Once I get Conquer 500 into live play and Krazy Kingdoms into Beta I will return and we can pick up discussion further.

Thanks for all of the great feedback =)

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! - QUENCHED!

Postby greenoaks on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:03 pm

leave it as is
Sergeant greenoaks

Re: Monsters! - Battle for the Powerstones

Postby Sun_Tzu on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:23 pm

I entirely agree that the LB should be able to reenter the game somehow, preferably through it's own powerstone or another. I am in a Trench Monster Escalating game right now (It was random map). One person is left stranded on a powerstone with 5000+ troops, no one can move to another area without taking a powerstone and holding it for a turn, and that other stranded player has nothing to do but destroy anything that enters a powerstone. It's a complete stalemate. I have never played a game with such high numbers on the board, nor have I ever seen a stalemate. Check it out. 14801186
Captain Sun_Tzu

Postby Donelladan on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:31 am

The game isn't a stalemate because of pink.
You could all advance on your powerstone at the same time and he couldn't do much. Not the plan on anyone to do so but still feasible.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Sun_Tzu on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:11 am

Ha ha, if I can convince everyone to move onto a powerstone at the same time.
Captain Sun_Tzu

Postby Wizard2010 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:49 am

Hi Dolomite,

It's been so long since there's been a post to this thread, I suppose I shouldn't expect a reply.

I'm currently in an 8-person game of "Monsters" which is escalating and has a round limited of 100. Most of us don't know what we're as far as advanced play is concerned but we'll muddle through. The game # is 15278606; and my question is on player elimination: As you can see the red player only has one territory left but that territory is Lightning - so he has no presence on the board itself, just Lightning. Is there a way to attack Lightning? otherwise, as he says in the comments section, he can stay put and build and win after 100 rounds w/o threat of attack.

Thanks,

Wizard2010
Sergeant Wizard2010

Postby Donelladan on Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:23 pm

You can attack the lightning spell from the corresponding powerstone.

In the game you linked, if you want to kill red, you need to take P8.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby dyrtydog on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:07 pm

my first time that I was sober playing this map--It is hard to get to the wizards which should be a losing condition....unless nuclear spoils.
Imagetournaments won: Jojo's Midyears Resolution Revolution
Capitaine Vertes's Inaugural clan tournament
Lieutenant dyrtydog

Postby riskllama on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:19 pm

terrible map. you should stop playing it immediately.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:06 pm

riskllama wrote:terrible map. you should stop playing it immediately.

Yes you probably should.

I would recommend not playing any map you don't like.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Previous

Return to The Atlas