Conquer Club

Peloponnesian War [Done]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: PELOPONNESIAN WAR 431 BC-UPDATE!map description p1-8- 17 dec

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:38 pm

1) "Lesbians" - amusing.
2) Fonts - far too small - this is the large map yet the writing is barely legible - it's gonna be impossible on the small.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:45 pm

qwert wrote:
by whitestazn88 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:02 pm

i really like the update. the new helmets for autodeploy solved your problem with space in the legend, the helmets for +1 also helped with space.

i don't know if i like the +5 for swords bonus though. i don't know why, but i just don't like it yet...

Why? Its extra bonuse-if you hold all 4 get +5, its not easy to get these bonuses,because like you know all territories(except starting)start neutral.
i must say that i see some maps who give much then here(i start first game in Arms race and whas :shock: when i see +50 bonus for holding 10 territory)

the bonus is a good size and its fine, but i think it's weird because that's the only bonus besides hoplites, but those are only +1. its just a little bit strange because there is almost no other bonus. do you know what i mean qwert?

the map will still be good with that bonus i'm sure, but it was still a really good map if there was no +5 bonus
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Qwert on Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:54 pm

by yeti_c » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:38 pm

1) "Lesbians" - amusing.
2) Fonts - far too small - this is the large map yet the writing is barely legible - it's gonna be impossible on the small.

1)Yes i know,but these is same like WTF in WWII EUROPE Map,soon or later people will learn that some words have more meaning then just one.
2)No,these is small map,and font is very good readibile,you are first to say that can not read good.

the bonus is a good size and its fine, but i think it's weird because that's the only bonus besides hoplites, but those are only +1. its just a little bit strange because there is almost no other bonus. do you know what i mean qwert?

the map will still be good with that bonus i'm sure, but it was still a really good map if there was no +5 bonus

well i just think that will be good to have some extra bonuses,who will not spoil present gameplay,and if people think that these is not good,i will remove these other bonuses.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby The Neon Peon on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:00 pm

Looks very nice, well done on the bonuses and legends.

I had some trouble finding the bonus in Dronian Islands... Is is just me, or does it seem to blend in?
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Qwert on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:33 pm

by The Neon Peon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:00 am

Looks very nice, well done on the bonuses and legends.

I had some trouble finding the bonus in Dronian Islands... Is is just me, or does it seem to blend in?

Please use correct name of territory-Dorian cycladians(i know that is strange name), so how you figure that these territory have bonuses?;)
I must say,that im not put in map anything what i can not see good.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby yeti_c on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:10 am

qwert wrote:

Fonts - far too small - this is the large map yet the writing is barely legible - it's gonna be impossible on the small.

No,these is small map,and font is very good readibile,you are first to say that can not read good.

Sometimes I don't know why I bother.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Androidz on Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:21 am

yeti_c wrote:
qwert wrote:

Fonts - far too small - this is the large map yet the writing is barely legible - it's gonna be impossible on the small.

No,these is small map,and font is very good readibile,you are first to say that can not read good.

C.

Now, now that's not nice to say, I can remmember you had the same stubborness with your poker map.
Private Androidz

Postby yeti_c on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:05 am

Androidz wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
qwert wrote:

C.

Now, now that's not nice to say, I can remmember you had the same stubborness with your poker map.

I'm going to call Bullshit on that.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Androidz on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:08 am

yeti_c wrote:
Androidz wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
qwert wrote:

C.

I'm going to call Bullshit on that.

C.

See? There have your stobborness. Please think about yourself instead of blameing bullshit on others.
Private Androidz

Postby Qwert on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:12 am

Yeti,what is problem here-you say that these is large map,i say that these is small map.
Why is that "Bullshit"?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby yeti_c on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:21 am

Androidz wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I'm going to call Bullshit on that.

C.

See? There have your stobborness. Please think about yourself instead of blameing bullshit on others.

Quit being a troll and stop spamming up this thread with flaming.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:22 am

qwert wrote:Yeti,what is problem here-you say that these is large map,i say that these is small map.
Why is that "Bullshit"?

That wasn't bullshit - Andriodz comment was...

I think that font is too small for the small map.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:54 am

The font is on the small side, but this is the small map, so I don't see a problem. It's legible - just barely - and if people have a problem with it they can use the large.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby ga7 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:16 am

Great work, I wish the foundry process was quicker for your maps =P~ =D>
The font seems perfectly readable to me, more so than Charleston or Forbidden City for instance heh.
A small detail that bugs me: the legend looks really good with this frame but the +2 autodeploy looks like a blob glued on it... I understand you're short on space, but what about moving "Objectives" up the same way "Map inset" is, thus saving a line?

I'm not too convinced about the spear head on the title also, there's little space there too but it doesn't look very evocative of the region...
Anarkistsdream wrote:If you guys can't tell that Doom is being forced to post this drivel, you are fools...
Lieutenant ga7

Postby yeti_c on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:32 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:The font is on the small side, but this is the small map, so I don't see a problem. It's legible - just barely - and if people have a problem with it they can use the large.

Pretty sure the "People can just use the large map" argument never washed here in the foundry?!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Qwert on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:34 pm

by ga7 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:16 pm

Great work, I wish the foundry process was quicker for your maps
The font seems perfectly readable to me, more so than Charleston or Forbidden City for instance heh.
A small detail that bugs me: the legend looks really good with this frame but the +2 autodeploy looks like a blob glued on it... I understand you're short on space, but what about moving "Objectives" up the same way "Map inset" is, thus saving a line?

I'm not too convinced about the spear head on the title also, there's little space there too but it doesn't look very evocative of the region...

I will see what can do with map inset and objectives.

Well these is artistic, and if i remove these,i will still not get nothing,because i can not up one part of map,because Thracia can not go up.

by ZeakCytho » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:54 pm

The font is on the small side, but this is the small map, so I don't see a problem. It's legible - just barely - and if people have a problem with it they can use the large.

Well i must say that font is readabile,and that people not need to use large image to read something on map.

yeti
Pretty sure the "People can just use the large map" argument never washed here in the foundry?!

Yeti i belive that you can read very good names of territory, and now i belive that you will continue with story,that names is not readabile,and that you can not read names.
Well i whas wonder when will start so called "big problems".
From start these map move very nice,and nobody have any problems with font size.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby oaktown on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:27 pm

Sorry, qwert, but what's troubling me is that this map looks almost exactly like your Roman Empire map, right down to the border design and hard-to-read inset map (which I think is a troubling habit you're getting into, by the way - the inset maps really are hard to use).

I am in part saying this because I have been guilty of making maps that have been very similar in style as of late, and that style is in danger of becoming a bit stale. You're a talented mapmaker with a strong point of view, so I challenge you to take some risks and try something new with this map, before your style becomes stale as well.
Captain oaktown

Postby Qwert on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:10 am

by oaktown » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:27 am

Sorry, qwert, but what's troubling me is that this map looks almost exactly like your Roman Empire map, right down to the border design and hard-to-read inset map (which I think is a troubling habit you're getting into, by the way - the inset maps really are hard to use).

I am in part saying this because I have been guilty of making maps that have been very similar in style as of late, and that style is in danger of becoming a bit stale. You're a talented mapmaker with a strong point of view, so I challenge you to take some risks and try something new with this map, before your style becomes stale as well.

Its a joke right-what will Cairnswk say if you tell hem that hes rail maps have same style even if he create 3-4 map with same concept? Or that is not acceptabile Same style for hes Egyptian series?
These map is maybe similar with bonuses,and dont have countries like Imperium romanum,but these is normal,because every territory is country,but still these two map graphicaly its not same(western and eastern map have same style also WWII EUROPE).
Now i want to understand, how some mapmaker can create series of map with same style,and dont have any problems(Cairnswk egypt series,rail series-WidowMaker usa 6 maps), but its look that i will have these problem.
If you think that these map is not acceptabile because have some similarity with roman empire,then you must tell me in begining,to not start map. Now if you insist on complete change,then i can not do that, because i dont think that these map is need to complete redesign.
Ofcourse i expect that you will also like yeti,tell that can not read map good, but these is new apsurd,because in begining nobody say that map is not readabile, and now i can expect that Mrbeen(who look map in begining) also support oppinion of Yeti,and tell that he also sudenly can not read what is write on map. Well these is what i expect-CA who can not read what is write in map, and normal persons who says that map is readabile. Now i will lost some time with arguing,what is readabile and what is not.
Also i must noted that these will be mine last map(if you alove these style)
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Androidz on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:22 pm

yeti_c wrote:
Androidz wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I'm going to call Bullshit on that.

C.

Quit being a troll and stop spamming up this thread with flaming.

C.

i was not trying to troll, i just said your comment to qwert was unneceary..
Private Androidz

Postby oaktown on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:36 pm

Qwert, I didn't say this map was bad. What I said was that it looks too much like your Roman Empire Map; there is no flavor that makes this map uniquely Greek and the other one is uniquely Roman. Your WWII maps were two sides of the same war, fought in the same year; the Peloponnesian Wars and the birth of the Roman Empire were separated by some 5 centuries, and in my opinion each should tell its own tale.

Anyway I'm just one person with one opinion, and I can't and won't tell you to redo the entire thing. All I can do is tell you my opinion, and you can do with it what you will.
Captain oaktown

Postby Qwert on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:19 am

by oaktown » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:36 am

Qwert, I didn't say this map was bad. What I said was that it looks too much like your Roman Empire Map; there is no flavor that makes this map uniquely Greek and the other one is uniquely Roman. Your WWII maps were two sides of the same war, fought in the same year; the Peloponnesian Wars and the birth of the Roman Empire were separated by some 5 centuries, and in my opinion each should tell its own tale.

Anyway I'm just one person with one opinion, and I can't and won't tell you to redo the entire thing. All I can do is tell you my opinion, and you can do with it what you will.

Oaktown im not profesional designer-im even not study any graphic scool, and these is how i see Peloponnesian war map, its normal that some people see these idea diferent. Maybe have some similarity with Imperium Romanum(no countries, bonuses for some specific territories), but when i look bouth maps-i see that peloponnesian map is much better graphicaly,and gameplay is diferent then Imperium romanum. Story is almost same for bouth maps-Imperium Romanum empire-and here you have Greeks city states-every territory is one country, so for me whas best to create no country.
I must say that im spend very large ammount of time to research bouth history(roman and Greek), and find that these is best picture for these maps(ofcourse these is mine oppinion).
Ass concerne of Imperium romanum,i manage to create 100% all provinces what exist in year 117AD. For Peloponnesian war,these whas not possible,because i can not put all city towns(i belive that exist over 200 city towns),so i whas forced to reduce numbers of towns. I repeat,that some other mapmaker maybe ancient greece see diferent then i.
I have many diferent map styles(Iwo jima one style-Europe 1914 second-WWII map thirds-Ardennes-fourth-Imperium romanum five), now with mine skills its normal that is possible that some things become similar,but to create every next map to be unique and that not have any similarity,you must have great skills,what i still not have-if 10 is great graphic skils,then im in number 5,and i still need to learn.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: PELOPONNESIAN WAR 431 BC-UPDATE!map description p1-10- 21dec

Postby Qwert on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:33 am

new update:
change helmets,to be all same style
increase text size from 9 to 9,5
put all bonuses in inset.
change swords bonuses to be more visible
Click image to enlarge.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:30 am

well i will start with xml,because its look that nobody have any sugestions.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby The Neon Peon on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:42 am

The "Despotovo" on your signature is cut off.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Androidz on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:50 am

is the Qwert 2008 when you started or when you think it quenched? in last case, it should say 2009. cause you wont quench it before then;).
Private Androidz

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas