Conquer Club

Jamaica

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Jamaica [BETA] V31 adjustments for upload P28

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:
natty_dread wrote:I believe this has already been fixed and is just a matter of uploading the XML file.

Thanks you, I'll look for the update and try playing it again.

You'll be waiting for a week or so, until lack gets back from his vacation (as if it isn't perennial).
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Shatners Bassoon on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:23 pm

another top map cairns,well done =D>
31-29
Major Shatners Bassoon

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:53 am

Thank's y'all for working and reworking this map. I look forward to the updated version, your hard efforts weren't in vain and are highly lauded, but please do not expect any checks in the mail from me. However, I am willing to donate to y'all a few flakes of my skin, some hair about 10cm long, a few big toenail clippings, and a wonderful looking, high quality, and well-preserved scab about 1 inch in diameter.

Please give me your addresses, so that I may ship these bountiful gifts of immense pleasure and joy to your homes as soon as possible.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re: Jamaica [BETA]

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:37 pm

PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Forza AZ on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:55 am

MrBenn wrote:

These are the latest links that have been sent to lack and are waiting to be uploaded.

Is lack the only who can upload them?
Because I noticed there are 2 new maps uploaded yesterday. Can't this fix be uploaded also by the same person.
Highest score: 3130 (9 July 2009)
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby Forza AZ on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:00 pm

I see the new XML is online now.

However BOB isn't able to load the new XML now. I keeps "Parsing XML".
Highest score: 3130 (9 July 2009)
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Forza AZ wrote:Is lack the only who can upload them?

Yes - uploads are still dependent on the turtle.

As for BOB issues, that's a topic for the BOB thread...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby chipv on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Forza AZ wrote:I see the new XML is online now.

I've fixed this and released an additional temporary fix for BOB but the cause was a rogue whitespace at the end of one of the territories:

Code: Select all
<territory>
   <name>England - Morgan </name>

Not a big deal but maybe would be nicer if removed (at least the whitespace is consistent in the XML).
Colonel chipv

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:38 am

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/jamaicaV31a.xml

OK. Here is adjusted file that has the spaces removed.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:26 am

chipv wrote:

I've fixed this and released an additional temporary fix for BOB but the cause was a rogue whitespace at the end of one of the territories:

<territory>

Not a big deal but maybe would be nicer if removed (at least the whitespace is consistent in the XML).

Good pick-up. I actually remember something similar on one of my maps (can't remember if it was Europa or Wales?) As an aside, is that something we can put into the XML-checker as a warning?

Back on-topic, I'll send the update to lack right now...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:43 pm

MrBenn wrote:
chipv wrote:

<territory>

Good pick-up. I actually remember something similar on one of my maps (can't remember if it was Europa or Wales?) As an aside, is that something we can put into the XML-checker as a warning?

Back on-topic, I'll send the update to lack right now...

The xml seems to be working better with Bob now.

Also there are 590 games finished on this one.
Perhaps the boat could out on this map, since no complaints.
Private cairnswk

Postby chipv on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:22 pm

If you use the XML Wizard you will see the latest XML is definitely wrong whereas yesterday it was ok.

Yesterday the whitespace was consistent in all occurrences of that territory whereas now the XML Wizard shows a clear error:

One whitespace remains but because it is not consistent , breaks the XML:

<territory>
<name>Fort Charles</name>
āˆ’
<borders>
<border>England - Morgan </border>
Colonel chipv

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:39 pm

chipv wrote:If you use the XML Wizard you will see the latest XML is definitely wrong whereas yesterday it was ok.

Yesterday the whitespace was consistent in all occurrences of that territory whereas now the XML Wizard shows a clear error:

One whitespace remains but because it is not consistent , breaks the XML:

<territory>
<name>Fort Charles</name>
āˆ’
<borders>
<border>England - Morgan </border>

OK. let's try again. Ths white space removed.

Can someone forward this to MrBenn please. I've got to get off to work.
Private cairnswk

jamacia beta

Postby eddie2 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:27 am

hi dont know if this is the right place for this but on the board it clearly states 3 troups for each marron but in play you have to have all 3 for a 3 bonus
Lieutenant eddie2

Re: jamacia beta

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:43 am

eddie2 wrote:hi dont know if this is the right place for this but on the board it clearly states 3 troups for each marron but in play you have to have all 3 for a 3 bonus

no, this should be done in the map thread.
no, it states every maroon +3
that is taken as all maroons +3
no other way, that's how the foundry decided it to be worded. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 am

cairnswk wrote:
eddie2 wrote:hi dont know if this is the right place for this but on the board it clearly states 3 troups for each marron but in play you have to have all 3 for a 3 bonus

[ Merged ] ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby ender516 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:18 am

cairnswk wrote:

Well, I would agree with eddie2. "Every" could be read as "each" or "all". "All" has no such ambiguity in my eyes. Better yet, just say "3 Maroons +3". You can't get clearer than that, and it's consistent with phrases like "2 Bumbo (Rum)" and "Any 2 Food". Sorry to press you, cairnswk, but the Foundry's not done with you yet. :o ;)
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:19 pm

ender516 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Well, I would agree with eddie2. "Every" could be read as "each" or "all". "All" has no such ambiguity in my eyes. Better yet, just say "3 Maroons +3". You can't get clearer than that, and it's consistent with phrases like "2 Bumbo (Rum)" and "Any 2 Food". Sorry to press you, cairnswk, but the Foundry's not done with you yet. :o ;)

Well you know ender516, i'm going to dig in again here.
This map had long enough in the foundry process for people to provide comments and feedback.
Unless there is outcry from at a great (huge) number of people about this, i am not going to waste my time again.
Seesm that those players on the over 500 games that have completed either haven't used that bonus, didn't notice the wording, or more importanly may have understood it.
So come back to me with substantial backing for the change and i'll move on it. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:17 am

cairnswk wrote:
ender516 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Well you know ender516, i'm going to dig in again here.
This map had long enough in the foundry process for people to provide comments and feedback.
Unless there is outcry from at a great (huge) number of people about this, i am not going to waste my time again.
Seesm that those players on the over 500 games that have completed either haven't used that bonus, didn't notice the wording, or more importanly may have understood it.
So come back to me with substantial backing for the change and i'll move on it. :)

Well, I understand your reluctance to fiddle with this sort of thing at this point, and if it's only eddie2 and I that object, then fair enough, let it go. But at the risk of sounding pedantic, let me quote the Foundry Guidelines for the Final Forge regarding Beta (emphasis mine):
Once the gameplay, graphics and XML stamps have been awarded, and the Foundry Foreman deems the map ready; your map will enter the Beta phase. This stage is the final testing ground to ensure that there are no critical graphical or gameplay concerns, and to catch any mistakes or omissions in the XML. Beta maps are not completely finished: It is possible that gameplay, graphics or the XML may need to be altered and tweaked in order to add further clarity and perfection to the map. The cartographer(s) must be willing to engage in updating their map, and if any bugs or imbalances that are found they must be attended to in a timely manner by the cartographer(s) or other people designated to fix and alleviate any issues that arise.

I'm not saying you are not willing to engage, and I suppose I missed the discussion on the wording of the bonus legend. Perhaps it occurred before I started following the map discussion topic, but a quick search didn't show why it was changed from All Maroons in V24 to Every Maroon in V26 [V25 seems to have been deleted from your photobucket]. Ultimately, the problem here may not be "critical". But when a member of the community at large comes into the Foundry with a reasonable suggestion, I feel we may need to have a better reason for declining to act on it than the fact that the foundry has already rendered a decision. If not, then we had best put more limits on what kind of comments are welcome, or why bother with Beta at all?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby denominator on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:16 am

I'm going to have to agree with ender here.

The current wording is really ambiguous and I also read it as a +3 for each maroon you pick up. "All maroons" would be far better wording to describe what the bonus actually is.

The point of the BETA period is so that those of us who don't normally follow the Foundry threads can give feedback on the map before it goes up full-time. So I happen to think that this is the perfect time to bring an issue like this up.
Major denominator

Postby natty dread on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:07 am

I also agree with Ender. Actually when I first played this map I was a bit confused about the Maroon bonus myself. But I didn't post about it because I thought it was just me being dull...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby nippersean on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:06 pm

So do I - midgame and I've just come in this thread to find out what the maroon bonus means, "each" and "all" are far better words than "every" in my opinion so I read it wrong from the legend. Every in my language means each, thought they looked too strong oh well plan B.
Brigadier nippersean

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:17 pm

Whoo-hoo...cyclone about to cross the coast just north of here in Cairns, very blustery outside and been wet for days...

I am watching this topic....keep the motion for change coming....
Private cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:44 pm

The legend wording is the sole reason that Pelop. War is still in Beta - it might be worth making the small change just to keep people happy (and reliably informed :P )
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:45 am

MrBenn wrote:The legend wording is the sole reason that Pelop. War is still in Beta - it might be worth making the small change just to keep people happy (and reliably informed :P )

I have no problem keeping people happy, but people don't keep me happy by doing their job poorly so that issues like this aren't picked up before quenching.

So onwards....here is the new xml, without the spaces before </

And new images
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... _V31aS.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... _V31aL.jpg

but i'm having problems with the centering on the large file...so don't send it until it's been adjusted again.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas