Conquer Club

[Official] Classic Revamp [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Classic Revamp

Postby stahrgazer on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:20 pm

lackattack wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:I definitely prefer playing shapes to art; why NOT keep all three?

I don't like fracturing identical gameplay over several maps. One reason is that it skews stats and achievement medals. Another reason is that if one version looks much better to most players, is makes sense to concentrate the games on that version.

Based on this comment, the announcement and in-the-map-forum posting that this new cities map that doesn't have the country shapes in the same place as the Risk, Classic Art, or Classic Shapes map so looks totally different (good, but different) but has the same attack patterns and area bonuses, is in error, and this new cities map will replace BOTH shapes and Arts, to appease the "fracturing identical gameplay" difficulty you have?

Or are you saying it's okay to fracture in two but not 3, even if some of the "teaching members" have concerns because Shapes is far easier to explain than where jimboartfan attacks pickanameartist in HolocaustTerrorarea.

(For those who'll say, "none of those names is on the Arts map" yeah, I know, but the names I used make as much sense in gameplay as what is on the Arts map, so the point is valid.)

As for the "looks better to most players" the stats show that Classic Shapes is played more often. Looking at the comments, it's about 50-50 on who prefers what, but that's only a small percentage of the population.

None of this derails Bruceswar's totally valid point about the ease of communicating gameplay and bonuses over the Shapes map. So, really, if you're going to trash only one of the two "Classic" maps, why Shapes?
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby Thezzaruz on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:53 pm

MrBenn wrote:Just to clarify, it is only Classic Shapes that is being revamped and replaced. Classic Art will remain alongside the new Classic - at least in the short term.

As expected, sounds good.

mpjh wrote:I agree that getting rid of the flags would help greatly.

I disagree. I think the flags add a nice graphic touch and IMO they should stay.

RjBeals wrote:
mpjh wrote:I agree that getting rid of the flags would help greatly.

God I hate to say it.... but maybe the globe legends might be too much also. A very simple legend may work better.

Yeez guys, why not just say you want to keep the Classic Shapes map? :mrgreen:

No seriously I like the globes too and I think they work well as as legend (clear, easy to understand and follows the overall theme). But that suggestion to move them a bit might work and possibly make them a bit smaller could be an idea too (could easily make them 10-20% smaller without making them hard to read).

WidowMakers wrote:
mibi wrote:the title font terribly mismatched with the map.

I agree. If we need to use the word "CLASSIC" pick a better font that is more fitting.

Yes the title font is mismatched with the map but that is for wanting to match it with the site logo and hence it's more of a "leave it or scrap it" thing that and "adjust it" thing.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby Thezzaruz on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:57 pm

MrBenn wrote:There is a bit of flexibility in relation to the cities names on the map, but the connectivity of them must remain unchanged.

Just to clarify, is it the "connect through paths" part or the actual "who connects with who" part that cannot change???

john9blue wrote:The board game is different than Old Classic (Kamchatka and Mongolia were connected)

Yea I never understood why our Classic map differed from the actual RISK map, just seemed stupid. Do we want the new classic to look like the old or like the RISK board??? (on this map this equates to a Hong Kong -> Seoul connection)

john9blue wrote:which is different than this map (Hong Kong and Mumbai should be connected).

I had a closer look and, compared to the Classic Shapes map, we are missing a Dehli -> Singapore and a Hong Kong -> Tokyo plus we need to take out a Hong Kong -> Singapore and a Shanghai -> Tokyo

Have a few thoughts about the graphics and city names too but those will have to wait until I have gotten some sleep.

KUTGW sully Image
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby magpies on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:11 pm

great job scully this will be a classic again with risk player.i love the map but personally i would like to see border lines instead of connecting lines. globes are a great idea .also would like to see a western state in australia.keep up the great innovative work guys.always improving well done
Sergeant 1st Class magpies

Postby sully800 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:27 pm

magpies wrote:great job scully this will be a classic again with risk player.i love the map but personally i would like to see border lines instead of connecting lines. globes are a great idea .also would like to see a western state in australia.keep up the great innovative work guys.always improving well done

Border lines can't be done since cities occupy finite points on a map. The entire point of this map is that it is world cities, and cities are connected by roads and other direct paths of travel. That is what the lines represent, a way to go from one city to another.
Major sully800

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:39 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
lackattack wrote:
sully800 wrote:[*]Adjust the red in the title. I initially liked the light red because it fits well with the pastels of the city line, but a brighter color will go better with the CC logo. Shooting for a middle ground in the next draft.[/list]

Yes, please do what you can to portray that this is the official map of Conquer Club. As well as using something more similiar to the CC logo you can also use our "official" flag icons (I'm sending you a an email now with hi-res flag icons attached) instead of the current flags.

It seems you already are doing this but I'd try to choose cities from the continents of our old Classic whenever possible, to help keep this revamp recognizeable.

Also, I think jiminski has a point about the city line being a bit on the juvenile side. Do you think you can do something more sophisticated? Sorry to be critical, but this is our flagship map and all! ;)

I agree. Africa needs to be shifted as the old Madagascar is now in South Africa. Then the Rest can move around :)

Just wondering your thoughts on this sully..
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Private 1st Class Bruceswar

Postby sully800 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
lackattack wrote:
sully800 wrote:[*]Adjust the red in the title. I initially liked the light red because it fits well with the pastels of the city line, but a brighter color will go better with the CC logo. Shooting for a middle ground in the next draft.[/list]

Yes, please do what you can to portray that this is the official map of Conquer Club. As well as using something more similiar to the CC logo you can also use our "official" flag icons (I'm sending you a an email now with hi-res flag icons attached) instead of the current flags.

It seems you already are doing this but I'd try to choose cities from the continents of our old Classic whenever possible, to help keep this revamp recognizeable.

Also, I think jiminski has a point about the city line being a bit on the juvenile side. Do you think you can do something more sophisticated? Sorry to be critical, but this is our flagship map and all! ;)

I agree. Africa needs to be shifted as the old Madagascar is now in South Africa. Then the Rest can move around :)

Just wondering your thoughts on this sully..

I don't think anything needs to be shifted on that regard. There are no major cities in Madagascar or Greenland or many other landmasses which are represented in other maps. This map will connect major cities of the world based on the classic gameplay.
Major sully800

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:42 pm

A city does not have to be major to make the map if you ask me just be in the spot of where the old territory once was. Seems only logical it would work that way.

Postby sully800 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:52 pm

Bruceswar wrote:A city does not have to be major to make the map if you ask me just be in the spot of where the old territory once was. Seems only logical it would work that way.

This would create a map that is full of places that the players have never heard of, which would make gameplay much more difficult. You were personally complaining that it is much harder to find Novosibirsk than A2 or whatever, and now you are asking to create a map full of these non influential cities? I think that creates a map that is rigidly tied to something that someone else created, and for no real reason.

The largest city in Madagascar is Antananarivo. The largest city in Greenland is Nuuk. Have you heard of these cities before, and would you be able to find them on a map if I didn't just tell you the country of origin? Instead, we can create a map with cities that people actually know. Cities that matter and that players can identify on a map. That way when they select a location from the drop down menu they KNOW where the result will be. So let me say firmly, that I am not going to bind myself to certain cities simply because they are in the same region as the respective territory on a Risk map. ESPECIALLY when that same map is what caused so much trouble in the first place.

Now if it's a toss up between two cities that are recognizable and one corresponds to the classic map, then that would indeed be a logical choice and a good reason to choose one city over another. Get what I'm saying?
Major sully800

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:13 pm

Fair points, but to combat that people will look at Cape down in South Africa and will not realize it was Madagascar on the old classic. They will assume it is South Africa.

Just look at the shambles Germany was made into. So many people who never even post came out of the woodwork to bash the map for changing things around. While the cities may not be as well known I think it only makes to have them in the places they used to be. Otherwise you will be fighting an uphill battle for weeks to months. In fact Germany is still not fixed.

Postby mibi on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:31 pm

Thezzaruz wrote:

WidowMakers wrote:
mibi wrote:the title font terribly mismatched with the map.

I agree. If we need to use the word "CLASSIC" pick a better font that is more fitting.

Yes the title font is mismatched with the map but that is for wanting to match it with the site logo and hence it's more of a "leave it or scrap it" thing that and "adjust it" thing.

um... what?

I would like to see a lighter weight futura in there. something cosmopolitian.
Captain mibi

Postby sully800 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:45 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Fair points, but to combat that people will look at Cape down in South Africa and will not realize it was Madagascar on the old classic. They will assume it is South Africa.

Just look at the shambles Germany was made into. So many people who never even post came out of the woodwork to bash the map for changing things around. While the cities may not be as well known I think it only makes to have them in the places they used to be. Otherwise you will be fighting an uphill battle for weeks to months. In fact Germany is still not fixed.

I do understand what you're saying as well, and in some cases it is a fair argument. In Africa, Cape Town is not representing the original country called South Africa, and that could be confusing to some people.

However in many other cases this would cause unnecessary changes that would be very bad for the map. North America in particular, where we would suddenly have a lot of Northern Canadian cities and a Greenland City. These would be very difficult for people to identify handily, and would be a big detriment to gameplay for no real gain.

So, I'd be willing to shift Cape Town (and I suppose it could go to Madagascar, but I would prefer a better known city). Kinshasa would be dropped, which is okay because it is relatively unknown itself (though it is the third largest city in Africa).

Similarly, I'd be willing to switch Melbourne to Perth so it better reflects WAustralia. However Auckland should really be Sydney, and then Sydney would have to be something in New Guinea, of which there is not much. Do interior changes to Oceania really matter though? I have a feeling most players don't care about particular Australian territories, they just think of the continent all at once. So I think I will change Melbourne to Perth and Auckland back to Wellington NZ because it will make the connections better.

I have Asia fixed at the moment, but it is completely different than the actual cities of Classic (Tokyo is now the cross map connection). Will post tonight.

If you have future concerns about city switches please be specific about which cities you want switched, and what you would switch them with. It takes a long time reworking connections and finding suitable options, and frankly I'm tired of doing that leg work for everyone else ;)
Major sully800

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:55 pm

For southern Africa, you could keep Capetown but as the position of South Africa from the classic map, instead of Kinshasa put the circle close to the location of Pretoria in northeastern South Africa to be "Madagascar."
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby sully800 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:01 am

RedBaron0 wrote:For southern Africa, you could keep Capetown but as the position of South Africa from the classic map, instead of Kinshasa put the circle close to the location of Pretoria in northeastern South Africa to be "Madagascar."

Hell, I've switched back and forth between Johannesburg and Capetown, I should just keep them both! I would much rather have Johannesburg on the map than Antananarivo. Whew! Good thinking.
Major sully800

Postby sully800 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:20 am

Okay, here's the next edition so you all can see what I've been working on. The connections in Asia should now be correct, though this suffers from the same problem that Africa did (Tokyo should represent Japan, but it is Kamchatka in this layout).

If this bothers you enough, come up with a new working scheme for Asia including well known cities. To match classic better you would only have one city from India, one city from China and more Northern Russia cities. Once again, you need to figure out an entire working connection system (just saying switch Tokyo doesn't work, because that affects every other connection).

Thanks for the input so far, let's keep development rolling. As you can see I eliminated the flag borders, and I miss them a lot in this version. The title still needs something, though I'm fine with losing the skyline backdrop. I also reduced the size of the globe bonuses, but the Johannesburg label is in an unfortunate position and may perpetuate the clutter problem.

Click image to enlarge.
Major sully800

Re: [Official] Classic Revamp (V2, page 6, 10/8/09)

Postby sully800 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:35 am

Ah, this could all be so simple.

Yakutsk = Yakutsk. That's a city not a region, so it should be on this map. So if we add in Yakutsk and drop Chengdu do we get a good solution?

Then it would be Magadan and Anchorage that connect. Tokyo is where Japan would be. Hong Kong takes the current place of Chengdu. Hmmm, it might just work. :-k

Of course there are still 2 indias and 2 chinas (no mongolia and one less Russia) but I don't think all of those interior details matter as much as having specific cities in the countries they should be representing. I need to sleep, I'm not sure if this makes sense.
Major sully800

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:41 am

Much better looking and works if you ask me. Fixed many of the issues with a few moves. :)

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:44 am

I know you may not want to change this but can we see a version that has straight lines? I think you may do away with many of the cluttered complaints.

Postby sully800 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:01 am

Here's an old version with straight lines. I think they make it look, well, horrible.

Keep in mind the comments about clutter have still been a small minority. Most people have been supportive of the borders and globes (which are the main "clutter") so I think the map itself without them will be fine.

EDIT: I LOVE how this map has the exact connections that I am now proposing. Adding in Yakutsk and removing Chengu. Please note that I made that version over 4 months ago. :roll:
Major sully800

Postby Robinette on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:19 am

oh wow... the straight lines are worse than i could have imagined...

the curved lines are quite nice,
and to me, they represent air routes...

kinda like that... but with far fewer connections, lol
Brigadier Robinette

Postby sully800 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:30 am

Indeed. In version 5 or 6 of World Cities there was a lot of discussion of air routes and how criteria for cities could be based upon whether they have a lot of air traffic. Of course I had just been traveling recently, so those maps where exactly what I had in mind.
Major sully800

Postby cairnswk on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:47 am

Sully...just my personal pref...i prefer the other curved connection lines...because you've got round aspects of the two mini-globes, the curved lines sit better with those globes rather than the straight lines i think... :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:59 am

I'm sorry, but Magadan just has no business being in this map. Could Vladivostok take its place without being too crowded? That city has about six times the population and fifty times the historical significance. If northeastern Asia looks a bit too sparse after that then: (A) Good. That's reality. (B) Try shifting the title rightward.
Anchorage is a little awkward too, particularly because Tokyo has a special connection to such a globally insignificant city. You might try shifting Anchorage -> Vancouver -> Denver or Anchorage -> Vancouver -> Los Angeles -> Honolulu, or even Anchorage -> Vancouver -> Los Angeles -> Mexico City -> Managua/Panama City/San Salvador/Tegus
Otherwise I'm rather fond of the latest city arrangement and especially glad to see the awkward Astana-Chengdu-Novosibirsk V is gone.

Moreover I absolutely agree that the flags need to come back.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby saaimen on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:25 am

I don't.
I think the new layout is a lot more pure and classy - exactly what our Classic map should be like.
It feels less pushy, easier on the eye and overall more esthetical.
Nice work.

Hope this doesn't turn into a "Do NOT / Do SO" discussion...
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby mpjh on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:33 am

Much better. Although I would like to see Madagascar back in the loop rather than Johannesburg. I don't know how the French are going to take being left out -- I mean where would you rather take your girl, Berlin or Paris, now come on.
Cadet mpjh

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas