Conquer Club

[Site] public chat box on the "Join A Game>Speed games" page

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[Site] public chat box on the "Join A Game>Speed games" page

Postby Proximus Ventor on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:14 am

agentcom wrote:MOD EDIT: Though the OP was lacking in detail, many have commented in support of having some form of chat available in the speed game "lobby." The contributors have identified the following features that this chat window would have

1. A chat screen would exist somewhere on the page (perhaps a right-side vertical panel)
  2. Some way to note what games players are interested in
  3. Feature should be easily disabled for those who choose to do so
  4. Could simply incorporate the "Callouts" tab of Live Chat (or, I presume, some new tab ... basically you'd be able to see this in Live Chate also)

Original Post wrote:Concise description:

Have an public group chat box on the join speed games page.

Specifics/Details:

Have a smaller group chat box on the join speed games page that could be toggled on and off. Kind of like game chat but for anyone on the join speed games page. It could be off/hidden by default and place in a column next to the games list or in a box above or below the list.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

While i use the live chat page from time to time to start up speed games it would be much easier to have the option directly on the join speed games page. It would allow players to have a specific chat room for talking about and starting speed games. Players can arrange game specifics before creating games.
Sergeant 1st Class Proximus Ventor

Location: secret underwater base playing with the global warming adjuster, and giggling. tehe

Re: public chat box on the "Join A Game>>Speed games" page

Postby rdsrds2120 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:07 pm

My only concerns are..where would it go, and would it slow down the page?

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Proximus Ventor on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:24 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:My only concerns are..where would it go, and would it slow down the page?

-rd

it could go in a box across the page above the list of games and hidden by default, then it could be toggled on and off. that way it wouldn't clutter the page. If chat was loaded through ajax the page load time would be the same as it is now.
Sergeant 1st Class Proximus Ventor

Location: secret underwater base playing with the global warming adjuster, and giggling. tehe

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:22 am

Another problem would be moderation! We wouldn't necessarily be able to stop flaming/spamming/abuse, because no one's going to want to sit and moderate it..I don't think it's a bad idea, just not one of my favorites.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby blakebowling on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:51 am

You could just use Live Chat like everyone else.
Private blakebowling

Chat in SPEED Game Lobby

Postby GeneralRisk on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:52 pm

[MOD EDIT: Though the OP was lacking in detail, many have commented in support of having some form of chat available in the speed game "lobby." The contributors have identified the following features that this chat window would have

[list=][*]A chat screen would exist somewhere on the page (perhaps a right-side vertical panel)
[*]Some way to note what games players are interested in
[*]Feature should be easily disabled for those who choose to do so
[*]Could simply incorporate the "Callouts" tab of Live Chat (or, I presume, some new tab ... basically you'd be able to see this in Live Chate also) --agentcom[/list]

Have public chat available in the main speed game lobby
  • xxxxxxx

Specifics/Details:
  • Same as above

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:It will make playing speed games more interesting and more than likely may bring in more players into the speed game area
  • xxxxxxx
Major GeneralRisk

Re: Chat in SPEED Game Lobby

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 pm

I have no idea what this means. Would you elaborate please? What is the speed game lobby? Do you mean the speed games tab on the Join a Game page?
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby betiko on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:33 pm

that's how i understand it and it's a pretty good idea... or have a page that mixes the live chat and the join speed games... since there is already a live chat! (that I never use to tell the truth)
Major betiko

Postby GeneralRisk on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:I have no idea what this means. Would you elaborate please? What is the speed game lobby? Do you mean the speed games tab on the Join a Game page?
When I enter the area where all the speed games are waiting for players to join is what I consider the Lobby. If you ever played at POGO and went to join a game, at the bottom of the page, all members can enter chat for all to see or answer. This sites live chat is laughable to me and reminds me of my first experiences on the internet in the early 1990s.
Major GeneralRisk

Postby Gillipig on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:34 am

GeneralRisk wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:I have no idea what this means. Would you elaborate please? What is the speed game lobby? Do you mean the speed games tab on the Join a Game page?
When I enter the area where all the speed games are waiting for players to join is what I consider the Lobby. If you ever played at POGO and went to join a game, at the bottom of the page, all members can enter chat for all to see or answer. This sites live chat is laughable to me and reminds me of my first experiences on the internet in the early 1990s.

That's a good idea, but you should update your original post and be more detailed in your description. We're not mind readers mind you ;).
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby betiko on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:21 am

lol well I got it by reading the title. But I agree, the live chat is not cc oriented at all and it does look like an early 90s IRC. Speed games and live chat should be much more related.
Major betiko

Postby Gillipig on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:10 pm

betiko wrote:lol well I got it by reading the title. But I agree, the live chat is not cc oriented at all and it does look like an early 90s IRC. Speed games and live chat should be much more related.

But you are a mind reader Betiko so you don't count ;).
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby betiko on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:14 pm

Gillipig wrote:
betiko wrote:lol well I got it by reading the title. But I agree, the live chat is not cc oriented at all and it does look like an early 90s IRC. Speed games and live chat should be much more related.

But you are a mind reader Betiko so you don't count ;).

I'm mainly his clanmate and often play speed dubs with him, so i would guess that instead of waiting for people to join, you d rather have a little conversation in chat to see who is up for this or those settings... so everyone is happy!
Major betiko

Postby agentcom on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:35 pm

I know the LC leaves something to be desired, but I think that's just because it hasn't been a focus of the site. Wouldn't the "Callouts" section of LC serve your purposes? If so, perhaps a link to the Callouts section of LC displayed at the top of the join speed games page? Maybe it could be set to open in a new tab.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:59 pm

This would be cool.
I think an area where people hung out and shouted out/agreed on games to play would drum up more activity for speeders. As it stands people don't go to callouts very much and the choice of speed games is pretty minimal.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby perchorin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:34 pm

I imagine this chat room would be the CC equivalent of the Mos Eisley cantina...you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby GeneralRisk on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:06 pm

perchorin wrote:I imagine this chat room would be the CC equivalent of the Mos Eisley cantina...you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Sounds like fun.
Major GeneralRisk

Postby Funkyterrance on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:09 pm

perchorin wrote:I imagine this chat room would be the CC equivalent of the Mos Eisley cantina...you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Yes, it's no coincidence who started this sugg. :D
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby nietzsche on Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:26 pm

Best idea in a long time.

I imagine it on the right side, like a vertical panel.

And GeneralRisk is correct, going to LC to announce a game is not intuitive for most users, then you get sent to Callouts where only 1 or 2 people are looking.

With the chat in the right side people can look for teamates, set up multi-player games and more.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby GeneralRisk on Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Speed Game Lobby page also needs to refresh............see...............viewtopic.php?f=4&t=164719
Major GeneralRisk

Postby betiko on Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:58 pm

What about being able to checkbox all the setting types you agree to play while you are in the lobby? Like this compromises in game types could be found more easily and there would be more avail players for a given setting...
Major betiko

Postby nietzsche on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:25 pm

betiko wrote:What about being able to checkbox all the setting types you agree to play while you are in the lobby? Like this compromises in game types could be found more easily and there would be more avail players for a given setting...

Yeah, that sounds great too. Automatically refreshing as you check/uncheck a setting.

While we're are it let's change the Join Game from hyperlink text to a smooth little button. Anf find some other way to list the settings of the game, either with little icons or text but make it look prettier.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:32 am

I like the idea, but I might want to see this as an option each user could turn on and off if possible, because whenever I go into the Live Chat screen, my computer freezes for about 3-5 seconds while it loads, which would be annoying if everytime I went into speed games page I was forced to load it.

But, if it couldn't be an option, I am still for this idea, since those few seconds usually aren't too important in the process of joining a game
Sergeant 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Display Callous Tab with Join Speed Games Page

Postby BGtheBrain on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Re: Display Callous Tab with Join Speed Games Page

Postby chapcrap on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:34 am

Is this suggestion different from this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=182828 ?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Next

Return to Suggestions