Conquer Club

[EoA] [PC] Online Status 2.0

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Online Status for Friends ONLY [Poll Added]

Postby peanutsdad on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm in complete support of this change. I for one am one of the people that from time to time hide my appearance. I do this so that i don't get spammed with wall messages and pm's from the trolls of this site that want this and want that. I would much prefer to have the option of being able to only be hidden to those that I am not "friends" with, and all my friends be able to see that i am online. In response to sirsebstar, the vast majority of the people i am "friends" with on her do not give out our personal information like phone numbers, we don't use "aim" or "skype". So a feature like this would be perfect for us, I'm not sure why you are having such an issue about it, other than you just like stir the pot, calling it weak in itself is a weak argument, and if that's all you've got for opposition to it, you've said your peace, move on.
Lieutenant peanutsdad

Postby SirSebstar on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:00 am

As a moderator i was asked not to hide my status so people like Funyterrance could find me. And they did.
But i also see lots of people comming up in speed and freestyle game with people who do pretend to hide their online status, for a competative edge. To them it is percieved to be very annoying. Actually annoying is my assesment of their state of mind. The concerned players called it cheating.

In another game it was called "i donā€™t like services which allows users to hide and ā€œstrike from shadowsā€ "
He made the argument that private reallife info does not compare with some game info. "if you are honest ā€“ you wont need to hide any game info (unlike real life one ofc)." in the sense that the option to hide is already here. So why be selective in who you are hiding for? Unless ofcourse you do have a (partial) alterior motive.

As peanutsdad said that he does not wants to get wall or pm spammed. That is why there is a foelist, or you could ask people to stop sending you spam. For if they continue'd stalking you, this would be against the siterules and could get them banned.

So as I see it, on this site today, most active players who hide their online status do so to gain a competative edge. There can be legitimate reasons to want to hide your status, I do not argue with that. I am however stating that if you already have the ability to hide, and you modify this to include your friends still being able to see you, it would weaken the reason to be able to hide in the first place.

A simple example. Someone joins CC, has to set mom/gf/whatever as friend or get into trouble. He wants to hide how long he plays online. boom headshot. mom can see he is online instead of doing homework.
unlesss ofcourse the OP proposes that you can hide your status, unless you are friends, but then can individually hide your status again....
Last edited by SirSebstar on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:04 pm

SirSebstar, your opinion is appreciated just like everyone else and thanks for voting. :)
In fact, I find your posts encouraging in a way in that they suggest that there are more people out there that would be in favor of such an update. I personally feel that if online status can be hidden at all then there's no real harm in making it only visible to friends. The proverbial floodgates were opened long ago when hiding your status became an option.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby SirSebstar on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:10 pm

so noted.
I am not god, my opinion is just that, my opinion. Just thought it needed to be said.
Major SirSebstar

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:34 pm

SirSebstar wrote:so noted.
I am not god, my opinion is just that, my opinion. Just thought it needed to be said.

God? Who ever implied that? Not me, surely. :lol:
Why would you even write that??? Have you got some kind of CC complex?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby SirSebstar on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:13 pm

is there any way you can not misinterpret my lines?
I'll try again, and then not be so brief.

Funkyterrance wrote:SirSebstar, your opinion is appreciated just like everyone else and thanks for voting. :)

Why thank you kindly Ft for those kind words. My opinion is just my opionion though, but i though the point, (that hiding is bad,) i was trying to make needed to be said. it does not mean that my word is the end of the discussion, or even that you have to agree with me, as can be shown by your following lines. I am glad to disagree with you. As an failed attempt at humor i tried some vague form of selfdepreciation. You should try it sometimes..
Funkyterrance wrote:In fact, I find your posts encouraging in a way in that they suggest that there are more people out there that would be in favor of such an update.

impressive way to twist facts to your own viewpoint, but then i disagree with your statement, so where does that leave me..
Funkyterrance wrote:I personally feel that if online status can be hidden at all then there's no real harm in making it only visible to friends.

I showed you why, but i guess you can overlook that part. Again, i agree to disagree.
Funkyterrance wrote: The proverbial floodgates were opened long ago when hiding your status became an option.

Because something is an option, you need to make more options available? is that the logic you are trying to imply here? If so, you logic is fauly, if not, care to make your point again. As to your conclusion, i respectfully decline to agree.

bye now
Major SirSebstar

Postby agentcom on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Civility, please. I was very interested in SirSeb's posts ... I did not realize that there would be disagreement to this suggestion. Well, that's why we're here though.
Colonel agentcom

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:29 pm

Ugh. Ok all egos aside, the only objection so far is that this option would make "hiding" easier? Since players can already hide their status this seems a moot point.
Alternatively, if it were enacted, those people who wanted their friends to know when they were online but not anyone else would not have to sift through players they didn't feel like talking to and wouldn't have to bother filing reports, etc. There would be no need. This would be saving the time of not only the person wanting to be hidden but those who would have to process all those reports.
I suppose the question is whether or not the majority of players would find this option beneficial or detrimental. So far the evidence suggests the former.
Colonel Funkyterrance

on line status

Postby bigg chief on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Concise description:
Where the players name is ie bigg chief,if I am online it will appear brighter,if I am not on line it will be duller ,mainly for speed games

Specifics/Details:
online name appears brighter or diff color,not online different colour or duller ,mainly for speed games

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
It will enable ppl playing to know if partner challengers are on line, cuts out having to go check players profile etc etc
Lieutenant bigg chief

Location: WILL some1 ! please grab me my slippers and my favorite CRACK PIPE !

Re: on line status

Postby Funkyterrance on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:33 pm

Cool idea.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby maxfaraday on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:17 pm

You can hide your online/offline status so it won't help much with those who choose to hide it...
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Postby bigg chief on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:05 pm

maxfaraday wrote:You can hide your online/offline status so it won't help much with those who choose to hide it...
well this would eliminate that for speed games,how many ppl join speed games and than forget log off just as they start,everyone is chasing around trying to find out whats goin on,or if in a middle of the game the player all of a sudden disappears ,re internet problems
Lieutenant bigg chief

Location: WILL some1 ! please grab me my slippers and my favorite CRACK PIPE !

Postby Metsfanmax on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:24 am

maxfaraday wrote:You can hide your online/offline status so it won't help much with those who choose to hide it...

I wonder if there might be a way to hide online status on the profile, but still enable this change for Game Finder results.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby maxfaraday on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:41 pm

bigg chief wrote:
well this would eliminate that for speed games,how many ppl join speed games and than forget log off just as they start,everyone is chasing around trying to find out whats goin on,or if in a middle of the game the player all of a sudden disappears ,re internet problems

Still won't work; missing a turn, running out of time, or simply having other players thinking you're offline can be a strategig move.
You can log out then log in a few minutes later, that's not rocket science, everyone who's willing to do it will.
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Postby chapcrap on Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:42 am

I have to agree with max here. I don't see an option that is a viable upgrade from the current system of telling when someone is online or not.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Re: Hide online status but not to Friends.

Postby spiesr on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Captain spiesr

Postby chapcrap on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Can we have one of the programmers say whether or not this is doable? I don't think we have a downside to this, do we?

STICKIED
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Seems like someone has figured out how to mod phpBB to do something like this:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p12908791
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby chapcrap on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:14 am

SUBMITTED
Lieutenant chapcrap

[EoA] Highlight online usernames

Postby _sabotage_ on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:38 am

Currently an online symbol exists on a players profile. Two issues with this: it runs five minutes slower than last visited time and you have to go to their wall.

Highlighting usernames or even the underline of the username to show players who last visited within that minute can be an option. I suspect players who are looking to get RTs going would use it, it would help provide info without a click for others.

While making RT games easier to come by may seem counterproductive, it will increase play by new recruits and freemium players, making the site more active.
Metsfanmax
Killing a human should not be worse than killing a pig.

It never ceases to amaze me just how far people will go to defend their core beliefs.
Captain _sabotage_

Re: [EoA] Highlight online usernames

Postby owenshooter on Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:20 pm

if you click on FORUM in the left hand tab... and scroll down... you can see, real time, who is online... would this help? or am i missing something?-JN
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby _sabotage_ on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:09 pm

I'm thinking of a way to get real time games going.

Yes you can go to the players wall. The online icon shows up for 5 minutes after the last visited time. But if you are considering jumping into a 1-1 that is hopefully a RT game, by the time you have checked, the game may be gone.

I'm not convinced that making RT games available to new recruits or premiums is a bad thing, and this could be a way to do it.
Metsfanmax
Killing a human should not be worse than killing a pig.

It never ceases to amaze me just how far people will go to defend their core beliefs.
Captain _sabotage_

Postby owenshooter on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:24 pm

_sabotage_ wrote:I'm thinking of a way to get real time games going.

Yes you can go to the players wall. The online icon shows up for 5 minutes after the last visited time. But if you are considering jumping into a 1-1 that is hopefully a RT game, by the time you have checked, the game may be gone.

I'm not convinced that making RT games available to new recruits or premiums is a bad thing, and this could be a way to do it.

you kind of ignored what i asked. if you click on forum and scroll to the bottom, is the list of online users not live? is that also delayed? just wondering...-JN
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby JamesKer1 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:34 pm

In total there are 501 users online :: 456 registered and 45 hidden (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Previous

Return to Suggestions