Conquer Club

[Rules] Delete Old Accounts

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[Rules] Delete Old Accounts

Postby The Neon Peon on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:12 am

Concise description:
[*]Delete player profiles/user names from the database that have not been used for more than a year

Specifics:
[*]Since there are a whole lot of players at cc that have not taken a turn in the past 30 days, I am sure that there are many that have not accessed their account for over a year. Even players that only have free time during a certain time of year will take a turn within twelve months, the rest have most likely forgotten about cc/ forgotten that they had an account/ forgotten what their account was. (Accounts that have been busted for cheating should stay for the sake of the IP address.)

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
[*]It would open up a whole lot of free space on the servers, therefore depleting the need to buy new servers, therefore more money for lackattack.
[*]It would increase the amount of user names available to users.

blakebowling wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:If someone has been actively using a name in the past, it really shouldn't go to someone else, but I do agree that if someone has logged in, played only the allowed 4 games and quit at that, then maybe their account name should be recycled after a couple of years with the name defaulted to their user ID number.

EDIT:
When it comes to account deletion on established accounts, I can understand 100% why that wouldn't happen. Say our friend here decided that he wanted to start over for some odd reason, he gets his account deleted, then comes back 2 months later on a new ID. Technically, he's not a multi because he deleted his old user, but wouldn't that be unfair to other players to be playing players of similar rank who were in fact much higher ranked in their past "life?"

This is part of the reason for the current policy.

Another part of our reasoning is that it would only cause more work for us (i.e. user deletes their account and wants to come back, etc) with no real outside effects (People who code things don't like to put in features that take away functionality).
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Re: Delete old accounts.

Postby wicked on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:26 am

Believe it or not, people can and do come back after being gone awhile. Those inactive accounts don't take up much room on the server, so that isn't an issue. Plus it would get confusing when going to look at old games or posts. Also, wouldn't want people taking over old names, as that would cause a ton of problems. So don't see this ever happening.
Major wicked

Postby bbqpenguin on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:22 pm

plus when you keep old accounts it makes cc look like it has more players than it actually does, giving it the illusion of being a bigger deal than it actually is :)
Sergeant 1st Class bbqpenguin

Postby KoE_Sirius on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:25 pm

I wouldnt want someone else using my name even if I never came back to cc.
Highest Rank 4th.
Major KoE_Sirius

Postby cicero on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:32 pm

The space saved would be minimal, certainly I think (though I have no inside knowledge) not enough to make any significant reduction on the storage space used.

Also I believe this would introduce all kinds of data corruption problems. Imagine checking a game you played just over a year ago ... and one of the players has now been deleted ... what would you see ?
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Delete Old Accounts

Postby 4*general on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:47 pm

It should be possible to delete my account and never be associated with this site again

blakebowling wrote:
Shannon Apple wrote:If someone has been actively using a name in the past, it really shouldn't go to someone else, but I do agree that if someone has logged in, played only the allowed 4 games and quit at that, then maybe their account name should be recycled after a couple of years with the name defaulted to their user ID number.

EDIT:
When it comes to account deletion on established accounts, I can understand 100% why that wouldn't happen. Say our friend here decided that he wanted to start over for some odd reason, he gets his account deleted, then comes back 2 months later on a new ID. Technically, he's not a multi because he deleted his old user, but wouldn't that be unfair to other players to be playing players of similar rank who were in fact much higher ranked in their past "life?"

Another part of our reasoning is that it would only cause more work for us (i.e. user deletes their account and wants to come back, etc) with no real outside effects (People who code things don't like to put in features that take away functionality).
Captain 4*general

Re: deleting accounts

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:54 pm

I agree in principle, but in practice this is really messy because of the way the forum accounts are linked to the games. How would we handle the storage of archived games where one of the accounts was deleted?
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:I agree in principle, but in practice this is really messy because of the way the forum accounts are linked to the games. How would we handle the storage of archived games where one of the accounts was deleted?

I've thought about this, and I think there is a solution. Each user already has a unique user ID number. The way I would handle it would be to replace their username with "#x" where x is their ID number. The # would be a prohibited character in creating usernames, and would thus be reserved for this use only.

When a username was deleted, any games etc. that required accessing their data would be accessible through the number, while all their other information would be deleted. This would both address their privacy concerns, and it would recycle their username so cool names like Ghenghis Khan or Attila would become available to new users when old users with them would vanish.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby perchorin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:11 pm

On the other hand, who's going to be combing through the archives, come across someone named 4*general and say "Hey! I know that guy! I can't believe he was ever associated with this site! I'm going to use this information to shame him somehow!"
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:11 pm

perchorin wrote:On the other hand, who's going to be combing through the archives, come across someone named 4*general and say "Hey! I know that guy! I can't believe he was ever associated with this site! I'm going to use this information to shame him somehow!"

Depends on whether he runs for public office.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
perchorin wrote:On the other hand, who's going to be combing through the archives, come across someone named 4*general and say "Hey! I know that guy! I can't believe he was ever associated with this site! I'm going to use this information to shame him somehow!"

Depends on whether he runs for public office.

Yeah, I suspect he was probably some malcontent pissed off about something or other, and just wanted to quit in a dramatic fashion.

What concerns me more is that over time, the more popular usernames will all get taken, and it will be harder and harder for now members to get a name they like. That is an acceptable cost if the names are actually being used, but when something like Zulu or Dragonslayer remain locked up forever, because someone ten years ago used them for 8 games, that is a waste.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby betiko on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:55 am

How about making accounts dormant or something... The only reason i understand such request is because the user wants to restrain himself from comming back. Just make the account unaccessible and accessible again through etickets..
Major betiko

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:11 pm

He got bad dice, so he's being dramatic. I looked at his games. :)

If someone has been actively using a name in the past, it really shouldn't go to someone else, but I do agree that if someone has logged in, played only the allowed 4 games and quit at that, then maybe their account name should be recycled after a couple of years with the name defaulted to their user ID number.

EDIT:
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blakebowling on Tue May 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Shannon Apple wrote:He got bad dice, so he's being dramatic. I looked at his games. :)

If someone has been actively using a name in the past, it really shouldn't go to someone else, but I do agree that if someone has logged in, played only the allowed 4 games and quit at that, then maybe their account name should be recycled after a couple of years with the name defaulted to their user ID number.

EDIT:

Private blakebowling

Delete old accounts

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:14 pm

Well sometimes theese pops up: viewtopic.php?f=239&p=4541899#p4541899
Wouldnt it be easier if CC just deleted old accounts that are inactive for say 12 months or 6 months or some period of time?

This would benefit the site in well not spending time and effort on people that have been inactive and by mistake creates a new account and get busted for multi... and it would most likely mean that more people coming back would stay since they dont get accused of cheating day 1...

I dont know shit about computing and so ... so it might be hard/impossible to do this ... but anyway i thought it a clever way of saving time/money and effort!
Major Lord Arioch

Re: Delete old accounts

Postby Donelladan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:35 pm

I fully support this idea. Was going to make the same suggestion.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:44 pm

I don't agree with this. People take long breaks from the site and return. I've done it.
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby shickingbrits on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Supported, but with a caveat, make them dormant. If someone creates a new account and activates a dormant account then it is a multi.
Sergeant shickingbrits

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:53 pm

I think what would be more helpful would be to have, on top of (meaning before) the space where you sign up for a new account, a link saying "Played here before?" or "Returning from a break?" or similar - this would direct users to a page where they can fill out an e-Ticket explaining their situation.

sempai
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby Donelladan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:55 pm

I don't agree with this. People take long breaks from the site and return. I've done it.

I have played on game where if you stop playing, your account is deleted after 6 month. The site send you an e-mail to warn you before it happens at some interval. First message after 2 weeks saying that your account is inactive and telling you that after 6 months it will be deleting, and some later don't know the exact interval.

We could do the same here. With the simple condition to log in once on your account to avoid to be deleted. No need to play a game, simple connection on the site is enough, and restart the counter to 0, means you have 1 more year before your account is deleted.

If you are not willing to make the effort to simply connect once a year, then I guess it is ok to delete your account.
If you are then willing to play again later, just create a new one.
Last edited by Donelladan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Lord Arioch on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Well how ever u want to solve it .i think it should be a benefit to CC... Maybee a middle way were u can put your account on hold/dormant mode if/when u take a break and the rest that dont do it get deleted?
+10k on that donnelladan! its a good solution!
Major Lord Arioch

Postby shickingbrits on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Always be selling, sempai. You're decreasing the likelihood of a player returning as it may be impulsive.
Sergeant shickingbrits

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:38 pm

A forum that I was a member of for years decided to do exactly this. I had no reason to return because my attachment to that site was gone. The account that someone has built up here may entice them to return. The record attached to their username etc. It would also be a detriment to the clan community if people could just stop playing and come back on a new account 6 months later. Sometimes people are banned for very good reason too.

I returned here after 2-3 years BECAUSE I had an account here. First thing I did was seek out old friends, but they had quit. By doing what you're suggesting, you are removing that sense of community. This is why I am personally against it. Also, I do not use my primary email for game websites like most people. Too much spam. ;)
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Donelladan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:43 pm

Hum. I dunno Shannon. Concerning my example. I did quit that other gaming site, my account was deleted, but I still came back later, and was able to find some old friends after 2 years break and I enjoyed the game and played it 5 more years. So in my case it did not matter, account deleted or not.

If we do not delete old account, then we still should change the way we deal with that kind of "multi" which are actually not multi. There is a problem, I think most of us can agree on that, when a player want to play and get kick because he had an account 4 years ago.

CC is the only place I know which is acting that way. Most of other websites do not care if you have an account, leave it, then come back some months/years later and create a new one.

Maybe CC has good reason to do so. But then CC should not punish people that do not know about this rule that you can never create a new account even after several years.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:59 pm

There's already a suggestion like this somewhere.

And for the record, yes I support it. My main reason is that there are cool usernames that are forever closed to people because some idiot created the name 6 years ago and never came back to play.

With that in mind, I think the period of deletion should be dependant on what you did. If you logged in once, signed up for four games and never came back to take a turn, that's the most basic level and gets deleted without question after a year.

People who stuck around a bit longer and played a few games could get two years, people who actually became significant names, won major tournaments, etc., might be protected forever.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Next

Return to Suggestions