Conquer Club

Anonymous Play as a game set up option for individual games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Anonymous Play as a game set up option for individual games

Postby Mikoyabuse11 on Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:11 pm

Anonymous Play as a set up option for individual games

Concise description:
A tick box option in the game set up which would hide the player's usernames in that game until the game completes and the usernames are revealed.

Specifics/Details:
When setting up a new game there would be a tick box (just like for Fog or Trench) which can be selected to create an anonymous game. The game info tabs and logs will hide the usernames of the players and instead only refer to the different players by their colour. So for example instead of the gameplay log reading: "Mikoyabuse11 assaulted Greenland and took it from Kevsterr", the game play log would read: "Red assaulted Greenland and took it from Green". When player joins a waiting game the slots do not reveal the player names of those already registered either, it would just display that game slot as "occupied" or something like that. At the end of the game, maybe even only after player rating are given, the player identities are revealed.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
As I have climbed the ranks i am encountering more instances of players recognizing me or my rank and targeting (and suiciding) into me in larger FFAs. I've started to see petty dramas carry across games and the result is that free for alls, my favorite game mode, can be annoying to play without taking the time to "foe" some toxic players. The option to play a game anonymously would allow for each individual game to be played from an even playing field in a more pure sense, game to game. Plus I think it'd be fun to only be playing against an unknown and have the surprise of finding out who you beat (or were crushed by) after the game ends. Additionally not knowing the score rank of your opponent would be a fun reveal at the end of the game. If players were not revealed until player ratings were given it would make for fair and unbiased ratings as well.

Drawbacks:

Collusion - anonymous gameplay could enable more collusion between friends in FFAs, and would be more difficult to catch in game. This would have to be deduced after the fact.

Non-english players - players for whom English is not their first language could possibly have a more difficult time not revealing themselves through in game chat. I think it would take an improbable amount of analysis for any player to correctly deduce an anonymous opponent's identity based on their in game chat speech patterns, and somehow use that information to a material advantage but it's possible.

Toxic Players - some people on the internet use anonymity to be bad people, and may use this option to be toxic in game. This is why identities would need to be revealed upon conclusion of the game, to give everyone else the option to "foe" the toxic players, or report them if necessary. The end result would be the same as every other game though, once you're locked into a game with a toxic player you have to finish that game then never play them again.

Listing when searching a player's "active games" or "waiting games" on their profile - a waiting game would need to be hidden from a player's active or waiting games when other players search it up.

Just a thought, curious what people think.

Thanks for reading.
Colonel Mikoyabuse11

Re: Anonymous Play as a game set up option for individual ga

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:20 pm

why not ?problem might be newbies diving into a tank of sharks but we could make it premium only....
or just expect theyd figure it out …
1+
I wish either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when....

If 2 player fog game,please allow 12 hour snap courtesy, or post what I could have seen.... Thank you
General t4mcr53s2

Postby riskllama on Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:13 pm

might be a neat idea.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Arama86n on Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:58 am

I would say the pros outweigh the cons.
Interesting.
Major Arama86n

Postby riskllama on Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:26 pm

perhaps if it were to override the foe feature, as well? might turn old enemies into tolerant adversaries...;)
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby .SCuD. on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:29 am

There are more pros than you have listed.

Strategically players might collectively target the highest rank to give them all the best chance of victory. Almost an unstated and accepted collusion.
Equally if unable to win it can make sense to just suicide on the chef if your goal is to retain points.

for tournaments it would be great!

As long as the option is just an option I don’t see a downside. Not sure if The benefits are strong enough for it to be worth implementing though.
Best position - >>>> over there >>>>
Current position - here
Colonel .SCuD.

Postby mrswdk on Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:11 pm

petty dramas carry across games

Is this (or anything else in the suggestion) relevant to anyone other than the 20-25 clan people?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Shannon Apple on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:55 pm

Considering all the drama I've been reading in C&A since I've been back on CC, I think anonymous matching is a great idea, especially for tournaments and the illegal moves that everyone has been QQing about.

It does appear that game throwing has become a bit of an epidemic on CC. I certainly don't remember it being this insane 3-4 years ago. :lol:
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Interesting idea. Great topic of conversation. I could see how this would be revolting to some people: not knowing who you are playing.

Maybe make the match worth half the points if the opponent is anonymous?

Maybe make Anonymous tiers for ranks?
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby riskllama on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:34 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:Interesting idea. Great topic of conversation. I could see how this would be revolting to some people: not knowing who you are playing.

Maybe make the match worth half the points if the opponent is anonymous?

Maybe make Anonymous tiers for ranks?

whoosh
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby jimshents on Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:53 am

My friends and I would love an anonymous gameplay option for the reasons already mentioned in this thread. I hope this is something that the admin staff would consider implementing in the near future.
Sergeant jimshents

Postby Shannon Apple on Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:58 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:Maybe make the match worth half the points if the opponent is anonymous?

Yeah, and hide the ranks as well as usernames so that people can't target each other based on that. Losing half points seems like a good compromise and might make it more attractive to higher ranked players too.
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby IcePack on Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:22 pm

This is possible theoretically, but only under no points exchanged games.
So that would have to be part of the option, the game being unranked
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Shannon Apple on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:35 pm

IcePack wrote:This is possible theoretically, but only under no points exchanged games.
So that would have to be part of the option, the game being unranked

Honestly, I'd still play tournaments and the like with that format even if unranked because of the chance to win medals etc. And no one suiciding or taking me out of MP games early because they don't like their chances against a colonel. :lol:
Colonel Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:54 pm

Cool idea. I'd happily put points on the line in an anonymous game.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Return to Suggestions