Conquer Club

Jamaica map - retirement

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Jamaica map - retirement

Postby Doc_Brown on Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:53 pm

Here is a complete list of every comment from that thread about changing the map name (excluding the ones addressing the assumed motivations of those that were believed to be opposed to a name change):
show

My summary is that the only people expressing opposition to the name change were offended by the map in general and would probably rather it be retired than just have a name change. Apart from mrswdk, the rest of the comments appear to basically say, "sure, a name change is probably a good thing but isn't required."
Since renaming the map is off the table, I suspect if you open a poll, you would find overwhelming opposition to retiring the map.
Major Doc_Brown

Postby Extreme Ways on Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:16 pm

/Thread
REP, ex-TOFU, ex-VDLL, ex-KoRT.
Brigadier Extreme Ways

Postby .SCuD. on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:07 pm

Nice, from Doc.

Is it not just the actual map itself and the imagery that can't be changed? We can still change the listing title to "Jamaica - Colonial Era" or something similar? That way it at least shows up with that name when in your game list. Nothing will be changed beyond that, but if that can be done I can only see that as beneficial.

'Jamaica - Colonial Era' would be my choice for relisting, simply as it retains alphabetical position and doesn't sideswipe anyone who is looking for it.

Doc_Brown wrote:Here is a complete list of every comment from that thread about changing the map name (excluding the ones addressing the assumed motivations of those that were believed to be opposed to a name change):
show

My summary is that the only people expressing opposition to the name change were offended by the map in general and would probably rather it be retired than just have a name change. Apart from mrswdk, the rest of the comments appear to basically say, "sure, a name change is probably a good thing but isn't required."
Since renaming the map is off the table, I suspect if you open a poll, you would find overwhelming opposition to retiring the map.
Best position - >>>> over there >>>>
Current position - here
Colonel .SCuD.

Postby mrswdk on Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:32 am

Team CC would apparently rather do absolutely nothing and just leave everyone to talk about. My guess is that regardless of what gets discussed in this thread absolutely zero will happen with the map, same as every other Suggestions thread.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby i-andrei on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:11 am

So exactly how many people want this map retired?
I know I don't. As for the name change, I couldn't care less.
It's pretty obvius from the design and the ships depicted there that it's from the colonial era.

Going further on this, you should retire every map that's not current and doesn't have a description on it or it's not dated.

WTF?
Major i-andrei

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:35 am

Temper tantrums from the few should not dictate future decisions.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:03 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:Temper tantrums from the few should not dictate future decisions.

This.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby mrswdk on Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:21 pm

I mean this was all already discussed ad nauseum in GD and the thread concluded and closed by the mods. This thread isn't a place to thrash out a yes/no decision, it's to highlight that the decision has already been agreed upon.

It has then become a thread for Team CC to shit all over the idea because they don't have the capacity or capability to actually do anything about it, as per.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Doc_Brown on Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Your original request was to rename the map in both the database and the map artwork. There was a lack of opposition (not at all enthusiastic support) to changing the name of the map. The response was largely that such a change would be fine but wasn't necessary.
The map image can't be changed without completely remaking it from scratch. That's not an issue of the CC Team failing to execute on something everyone wants - it's simply an impossibility. The name of the map could be changed in the database. Are you now requesting this change specifically? It's the only available option for which you can point to anything resembling support. If this is your request, please clarify that in the original post.

Currently your request appears to be retirement of the map. There is significant opposition to this request and only one other post I've seen in support of this suggestion. Since the thread is currently titled "Jamaica map - retirement" and there is significant opposition to retiring the map, it's silly to claim that Team CC is "shitting all over the idea" or that "the decision has already been agreed upon."
Major Doc_Brown

Postby mrswdk on Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:40 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:The name of the map could be changed in the database. Are you now requesting this change specifically?

That was my original suggestion and the suggestion the thread in GC settled on. Why do you think I said it would only take a second? No one mentioned the map art until you/Duk started discussing it.

It would be better to change the map art as well, but apparently CC is too business-incontinent to keep its own copy of the maps that make up the entirety of its business so a database name change will have to do.

Currently your request appears to be retirement of the map.

Because everyone shat all over the name change idea.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Doc_Brown on Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:35 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Doc_Brown wrote:The name of the map could be changed in the database. Are you now requesting this change specifically?

That was my original suggestion and the suggestion the thread in GC settled on. Why do you think I said it would only take a second? No one mentioned the map art until you/Duk started discussing it.
It would be better to change the map art as well, but apparently CC is too business-incontinent to keep its own copy of the maps that make up the entirety of its business so a database name change will have to do.
Currently your request appears to be retirement of the map.

Because everyone shat all over the name change idea.

Thank you for the attempt at clarification. In the third post of this thread, you clearly stated that you wanted both the database and artwork changed. Once it became clear that the artwork could not be changed (no one argued against changing the name in the database), you changed your request to retirement of the map. Now that there is pushback on that, it seems you're changing your request back to a simple name change in the database, though the title of the thread is still "Jamaica map - retirement," so apparently not.

For a suggestion to be seriously considered by the CC Team, three things are needed:
1. Clearly defined proposal (you've bounced around on what you're requesting so many times, I have no idea what the current actual suggestion is)
2. A proposal that can be feasibly implemented (a change to the map name in the artwork, which you stated was part of your intent with the original suggestion, fails this criterion)
3. Broad support from the community (there is moderate support for a name change, but you've falsely claimed that support to be motivation to retire the map)

If you can't be arsed to update your proposal with a feasible option that might actually gain support from the community, why should anyone on the CC Team pay any attention?
Major Doc_Brown

Postby mrswdk on Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:45 pm

Do you actually have any capacity to change the name in the database or are you just arguing the toss?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Doc_Brown on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:34 pm

Just trying to be helpful and provide clarity.
Major Doc_Brown

Postby Extreme Ways on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:54 pm

Doc absolutely wins this thread like he wins threads in the TOFU subforum.

Also, I doubt Team CC has any power over this. Seems like just another attempt at trolling.
Brigadier Extreme Ways

Postby mrswdk on Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:26 pm

Extreme Ways wrote: I doubt Team CC has any power over this.

You don't think the people who run this website have any control over its content?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Extreme Ways on Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:53 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Extreme Ways wrote: I doubt Team CC has any power over this.

You don't think the people who run this website have any control over its content?

the volunteers? Maybe people like Mad, maybe IcePack in the past. Perhaps Benga nowadays. In general? No.
Brigadier Extreme Ways

Postby mrswdk on Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:19 am

So the Suggestions forum is monitored by people who have no ability to action any of the Suggestions anyway?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby .SCuD. on Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:34 am

Extreme Ways wrote:Doc absolutely wins this thread like he wins threads in the TOFU subforum.

Also, I doubt Team CC has any power over this. Seems like just another attempt at trolling.

I forgot how articulate Doc can be. That was enjoyable reading.

Nothing more to add. Covered perfectly.
Best position - >>>> over there >>>>
Current position - here
Colonel .SCuD.

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:35 pm

mrswdk wrote:So the Suggestions forum is monitored by people who have no ability to action any of the Suggestions anyway?

In short, yes.
Captain Dukasaur
Community Team
Community Team

Postby mrswdk on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
mrswdk wrote:So the Suggestions forum is monitored by people who have no ability to action any of the Suggestions anyway?

In short, yes.

This should be pinned to the top of the forum.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby riskllama on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:11 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

In short, yes.

This should be pinned to the top of the forum.

lol, that's actually not a bad idea - perhaps you should start a new suggs thread detailing it?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby betiko on Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:35 am

TL, DR
shut up mrswdk
Major betiko

Postby Fewnix on Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:27 am

I have played the map a few times and always felt uncomfortable with taking slaves. Would vote to retire the map
Rule 1
show
Lieutenant Fewnix

Postby GoranZ on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:41 am

Fewnix wrote:I have played the map a few times and always felt uncomfortable with taking slaves. Would vote to retire the map

And Argentinians are uncomfortable in playing 1982, Iranians in Alexander's Empire, Austrians and Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire, bunch of people from various nations are uncomfortable in playing all various WWI and WWII maps we have, and even those from Yugoslavia(that should be me) are not be comfortable in playing that map.
Grow up, we are not here to play on maps that are made up from cherry picked elements from history. Its as close as it can get to what happened ;)
Even a little kid knows whats the name of my country... http://youtu.be/XFxjy7f9RpY

Interested in clans? Check out the Fallen!
General GoranZ

Postby riskllama on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:01 am

GoranZ wrote:
Fewnix wrote:I have played the map a few times and always felt uncomfortable with taking slaves. Would vote to retire the map

And Argentinians are uncomfortable in playing 1982, Iranians in Alexander's Empire, Austrians and Hungarians in Austro-Hungarian Empire, bunch of people from various nations are uncomfortable in playing all various WWI and WWII maps we have, and even those from Yugoslavia(that should be me) are not be comfortable in playing that map.
Grow up, we are not here to play on maps that are made up from cherry picked elements from history. Its as close as it can get to what happened ;)

=D>

bad enough CC won't allow the swastika to be displayed on it's selection of WWII maps... :?
Lieutenant riskllama

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions