Conquer Club

[GO] Manual Territory Selection: Choose or Draft Territories

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Placement of initial armies

Postby chapcrap on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:03 pm

Using this word chit bothers me.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby waltero on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:07 pm

@chapcrap, probably not the best word I could of used. They are ''temporary'' placement numbers.

@ DoomYoshi, Just as you said...find a strategy and run with it, until others find one to counter it?
Random set up sucks on some boards more than others.

I have been playing this game for many years. A person is limited on the number of Strategy he can chose from.
Random Sucks! and with random set up, strategy is just the same...you pull one (out of a few) from a hat and run with it.

At least with this you are able to chose your ''own'' Strategy (FROM THE GET GO) and make new ones rather than have to replay same old ones.

NEW Game...new strategy.

This would be an option...your choice to play with or not.

Besides, how many strategy's can a player pull from a hat when Random set up is used.

Might be a person will have to learn the game all over again.

This would take no longer than one Extra turn.

The only reason I posted this was because I had invited two Friends to team against me and another guy.
Started the game and it was a joke! we had best drop ever. Now me friends do not come to anymore invites and they hate that particular board.
Not to mention, we went first...making it double whammy!

I really do not understand how an idea could put the fear in somebody, thinking that the Strategy will be already fixed...just because placement is a fixed setting. It is still random...you do not know how others are going to place. Plenty of unorthodox players out there to screw with your ''fixed'' strategy.

This turn based fog, placement...will bring excitement and some new fun Strategy into play
Cook waltero

Postby greenoaks on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:52 am

waltero wrote:The only reason I posted this was because I had invited two Friends to team against me and another guy.
Started the game and it was a joke! we had best drop ever. Now me friends do not come to anymore invites and they hate that particular board.
Not to mention, we went first...making it double whammy!

so we should change the way we do things here because of 1 game you played.

i like this even less now.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby waltero on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:38 am

Yes we know that you do not like this Idea (in fact not the Mechanics but the entire idea of manual placement).

I am not asking anybody to change a thing. Simply have other options.

I play games to be around my friends and for my enjoyment.
It is no longer enjoyable to me if my friends do not want to play because the game is askew from the start.

I posted this idea because of one game I have played!
I have always disliked Random set up and do think something better is out there.
I have not bothered posting anything up till now (on set up)why should I bother.

Up until I was bothered with the ''one game I played''
Which coincidentally is the last game (of this) my friends will play.
Just trying to find a way for this game to be a game that is enjoyable to everyone.
Cook waltero

Postby agentcom on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:08 pm

Conflicting thoughts about this one ...

1. It's a whole different type of gameplay, rather than just copying the initial placement of other board games, but that makes it way more complicated.
2. The flip side of this is that I think a more "traditional" manual territ selection would be more popular and more simple to implement.
Colonel agentcom

Postby waltero on Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:56 pm

Some game boards do OK with random set up...that would be the game boards that Randomly set you up on the edge of the board and with one or two terits.

This, manual set up would be similar to copying the initial placement of other board games.

Your first placement is the only one you really care about...other placements will follow in the same direction as the first (more often than not). Every player would be able to see where first Choices are...as there placement turn begins.

I understand it gets complicated with team play and the like (not to say it wouldn't be fun).

Basic old school set up would work great in Speed games.
Cook waltero

Postby sirgermaine on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:47 pm

I am curious, how would this work for fog, would terits just stop being available?
Major sirgermaine

Postby waltero on Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:50 am

@sirgermaine

Yes, a players ''first Choice'' (only there first choice) would not be available to everybody who follows him...in placement order.

It is all hidden (fog) placement. except you would see one color or a multiple of colors blanketing each country (not terit).
If one color (or numbers..what ever) appears then you know that a previous player has Chosen that country (not terit) as his first choice placement. You then would know that country has been (possibly) claimed by a player.

If 'you' then place your first choice pick in that same country, then the next players to place their numbered choices down, would see Two colors blanketing that country.
Then they would understand that Two players have made there first pick in that same country.

Just as if you were sitting at a table and watching the player Chose what country he is going for at start...except you have no idea who that player is (unless you are the second player to place, his set up).

If you drop your first (only first) choice in the same terit as a previous player...it would make a horrible sound and you would have to chose again.
Cook waltero

TERRITORY DRAFT

Postby sdkenned on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Concise description:
[list]
At the start of the game, rather than receiving random starting territories, players take turns drafting territories.

Specifics/Details:
[list]
The boardgame RISK allowed gamers to choose whether starting territories would be randomly distributed or drafted deliberatly by players, in turn.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
[list]
An initial territory draft would add a huge strategic component to Conquer Club otherwise lacking.
Major sdkenned

Re: TERRITORY DRAFT

Postby Gilligan on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:52 pm

sdkenned wrote:Concise description:
[list]
At the start of the game, rather than receiving random starting territories, players take turns drafting territories.

Specifics/Details:
[list]
The boardgame RISK allowed gamers to choose whether starting territories would be randomly distributed or drafted deliberatly by players, in turn.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
[list]
An initial territory draft would add a huge strategic component to Conquer Club otherwise lacking.

I love the idea but it's not totally practical. How long would it take to do this on hive with 8 players? As long as the game!!
Major Gilligan

Postby nicestash on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Maybe make it an option for speed games only? It'd take a long time to draft out an entire map if the 2 players are online at different times.
Captain nicestash

Postby sdkenned on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56 pm

I think the duration of the draft is not the point... quite the contrary. The point is that the draft, no matter how long, is as significant or almost as significant as the gameplay itself. It adds a whole new dimension to strategic thinking, approach and planning. Such a feature will expand the dynamism of CC exponentially.
Major sdkenned

Postby elonpuckhog on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:07 pm

This has been suggested before. I like the idea, but you have to get it to where it won't take so long to start the game.
Corporal 1st Class elonpuckhog

Postby sdkenned on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 am

May I ask: why?
Major sdkenned

Postby blakebowling on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:28 am

I could see having this feature either for speed games only, or as a premium perk (not necessarily because of the exclusivity of it, but to keep free members from getting stuck in these type of games).

That being said, I feel CC could do with more perks for premium members.
Private blakebowling

Postby chapcrap on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:18 pm

blakebowling wrote:I could see having this feature either for speed games only, or as a premium perk (not necessarily because of the exclusivity of it, but to keep free members from getting stuck in these type of games).

That being said, I feel CC could do with more perks for premium members.

This. I'll try to find the other suggestion to merge with this.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Re: Manual Territory Selection: Choose or Draft Territories

Postby agentcom on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Similar suggestions have been MERGED.

The OP has been edited and the title changed for clarity and for ease of finding this topic through search.

Chap if you have more to add to this topic or any related topics feel free to merge here and/or edit the OP as necessary and add to or merge with the posts linked there.
Colonel agentcom

Postby sdkenned on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Though perhaps not the solution, it may be possible to develop a permission system based on medal acheivement... by which players unlock the ability to start and play in territory draft games... as though it would not be a feature that would be availible to newbs.

Limiting (shortening) the time allowed to select a teritory also makes sense, with the consequnece of missing a turn being a randomly selected tert.
Major sdkenned

Postby chapcrap on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:17 pm

sdkenned wrote:Though perhaps not the solution, it may be possible to develop a permission system based on medal acheivement... by which players unlock the ability to start and play in territory draft games...

I am very much in favor of something like this... However it's probably a whole new suggestion and may take a bit of work. I'm also sure there are some who will say that since they pay, they should get access to everything automatically...
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby sdkenned on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Well, even paying players don't get access to certain ranks until they have played enough games... this (paying players objecting to not having instant access to the feature) is not a strong arguement against the idea.
Major sdkenned

Postby agentcom on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:51 pm

I summarized in the OP the points against it, but I'm actually for this. I think it should be premium only and one of the things that new recruits can't join. (Or if we put in some sort of escalating "unlocking" of features, this should be somewhere on the scale.) I see no problem even with hive if that's what a user truly wants to play.
Colonel agentcom

Postby sdkenned on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Great! What is the process of integrating this feature into the system architecture?
Major sdkenned

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:57 pm

While I think this is feasible, I don't think it is a good game setting. I played with Draft exclusively for many years, it's not nearly as rich of a game as random draw.
Hunter S. Thompson wrote:The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over..
Major DoomYoshi

Postby sdkenned on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:55 pm

Ah, so you are arguing that this new feature would not expand the wealth that is CC? This is the best arguement against the feature, in my opinion.

While your experience suggests you are probably right, said experience also makes you the best person to expound on the virtues of territory draft. What WAS present in Territory Draft games that is not present in random draw games?

There seems to me, as a person of imagination, that in manual draft games a certain mythologization of the game can form that is otherwise lacking or at least less significant in random draw... the selection of favorite territories, and concssions thereof for purposes of forced blocking, etcetera, are interesting aspects of the game that are completely unexploited with only random draw availible.

I can see how manual draft may soon lose appeal, when everyone is gunning for the same territories with the same strategy, but with CC's wealth of maps, the feature may remain interesting indefinitley.
Major sdkenned

Postby nicestash on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:45 pm

What about the exponential increased potential for farming?
Captain nicestash

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions