Conquer Club

[GO] Manual Territory Selection: Choose or Draft Territories

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby PaperPlunger on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:54 am

Even in real Risk, you get cards for where you place your armies when starting, so in effect, it is random.
Private PaperPlunger

Postby Twill on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:18 pm

greenoaks, laci_mae is right. If you don't have anything meaningful to say...don't If you have something to say, say it nicely ;)

Mute, the main problem is the timing. You could do it with speed games, maybe, but in a 3 player game, depending on the map, each person would have anywhere from 10 to 50 armies to place. If they were placed one at a time in a 5 minute turn cycle, that would add up to 12 hours to a speed game JUST in deployment.

If you do it in blocks, yes, it might work time wise, but again you lose the element of "see where the others are placing" making the impetus to do it rather meaningless.

It's been asked for several times, but the implementation of it doesn't seem to work well in an asynchronous environment.
Retired.
Please don't PM me about forum stuff any more.

Essential forum poster viewing:
Posting, and You! and How to behave on an internet forum...on the internet
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Choosing Placement

Postby waiwai933 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:42 pm

Concise description:
  • Allowing members to pick territories in order using a list.

Specifics:
  1. Allow an option for members to pick territories.
  2. To save time, have members rank a list of all territories when they join the game. This list should include all starting territories, in order of how much they want them.
  3. When the game begins, assign Player 1 their first territory.
  4. Continue with every player. If a territory has already been chosen, go to the next one.
  5. Continue until all territories are occupied. If there is an uneven number, fill the remaining with neutrals. (As is currently done)
  6. Do NOT allow members to choose number of armies as this will change depending on which territories they get.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Gameplay
Last edited by waiwai933 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal waiwai933

Re: Choosing Placement

Postby Thezzaruz on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:24 am

Re-posted from another thread...
Thezzaruz wrote:Has been proposed before but never been considered a priority. Mainly because of the fact that it's really only feasible in speed games.

And even if your priority list is a new thing that makes the idea much more feasible I'd rather keep it the way it is.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby waiwai933 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:37 pm

This is why I'd like to make it an option, like Fortifications, or Cards. I understand that some people would not like to go through the hassle of deciding a list, or prefer the excitement of randomness. In fact, I feel partially this way myself.
Corporal waiwai933

Postby Sir. Ricco on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:22 am

I would hate going through the list on Conquer Man. #-o

I rather be able to deploy man starting armies where I wanted then choosing starting territories.
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby waiwai933 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:26 pm

bump
Corporal waiwai933

Postby max is gr8 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:19 am

The problem with this is I might have west australia high on my list but if I don't have new guinea or Eat Auss why would I want it?
ā€¹max is gr8ā€ŗ so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
ā€¹New_rulesā€ŗ Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Manual Territories

Postby Dibbun on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:55 am

Concise description:
  • There would be a game option to have manual territory selection.

Specifics/Details:
  • When the manual territories option is selected, players will go 1 by 1 selecting the territories they desire. Then, depending on whether deployment is automatic or manual, after all territories which will be selected have been, the deployment phase will begin.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Adds additional customization and layers of strategies to games.
Lieutenant Dibbun

Re: Manual Territories

Postby demonfork on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:56 am

Dibbun wrote:Concise description:

Specifics/Details:
  • When the manual territories option is selected, players will go 1 by 1 selecting the territories they desire. Then, depending on whether deployment is automatic or manual, after all territories which will be selected have been, the deployment phase will begin.

Already been suggested like infinity times.
Sergeant 1st Class demonfork

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:36 am

demonfork wrote:
Dibbun wrote:Concise description:

Specifics/Details:

Already been suggested like infinity times.

This is true. This would make games last a VERY long time. Especially for Speed games.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Dibbun on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:40 am

True that.

I'd still like to see it :P

lol @ Hive game with manual selection.. 12 hour speed game ftw :D
Lieutenant Dibbun

Postby nebsmith on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:01 pm

For this to work in any resonable ammount of time all players would have to be online and in the game together for the deployment. While I have played this way in RL, it only works because you are all sitting around the same board together.
Sergeant nebsmith

Placement of initial armies

Postby waltero on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:58 am

Concise description:
[list]
Would it be possible to have players do a manual drop at game set up?

Specifics/Details:

Maybe you could Total up all the Territory's on the map (say 50) then allow players to pick first choice second, third and so on.
Have turn order on placement.
Any duplicate (numbers on the same territory) would go to the player in turn order. If a player loses his (say 3rd) pick he would automatically get his fourth pick (as his new third choice) for his placement. Following in turn order of course.
Start of game simply reverse turn order.

[list]Would prevent random drop that give Extreme advantage.
Cook waltero

Re: Placement of initial armies

Postby blakebowling on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:09 am

You should try the setting called Manual Initial Troops. It's exactly what you're looking for.
Private blakebowling

Postby spiesr on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:30 am

blakebowling wrote:You should try the setting called Manual Initial Troops. It's exactly what you're looking for.
No, he is clearly asking for the ability to choose his starting territories. Manual isn't like that.
Captain spiesr

Postby agentcom on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:56 am

spiesr wrote:
blakebowling wrote:You should try the setting called Manual Initial Troops. It's exactly what you're looking for.
No, he is clearly asking for the ability to choose his starting territories. Manual isn't like that.

Exactly. No this is not possible at the moment. Manual territory selection, I'm 100% certain, has been suggested before. You can use the "Advanced Search" function at the top right of your screen to narrow your search to suggestions and find and comment in the appropriate topic.
Colonel agentcom

Postby blakebowling on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:35 am

agentcom wrote:
spiesr wrote:

Exactly. No this is not possible at the moment. Manual territory selection, I'm 100% certain, has been suggested before. You can use the "Advanced Search" function at the top right of your screen to narrow your search to suggestions and find and comment in the appropriate topic.

Eh. That's not what I read. But choosing your own territories is not plausible because of the sheer time it would take.
Private blakebowling

Postby agentcom on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:18 pm

blakebowling wrote:
agentcom wrote:
spiesr wrote:

Eh. That's not what I read. But choosing your own territories is not plausible because of the sheer time it would take.

I know that's the reason given, but it really wouldn't be a problem for premium members or as an option for speed games only.
Colonel agentcom

Postby elonpuckhog on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:39 pm

I was thinking, and I think the OP suggested this, that we set up a "fantasy type" draft for this option. So, when you join a game with this option, all the territories would be ranked in alphabetical order, and you could change the rank. So if you really wanted Los Angeles (on the classic map), you would rank that #1. If you're first to go, you would get Los Angeles. The next person would get either their #1 choice (unless it was LA) or their #2 choice. So, rankings are done in advance to cut down on the time thing.
I think it would be a great addition, but I'm sure its been suggested before. I went looking a couple of days ago and couldn't find anything specific.
Corporal 1st Class elonpuckhog

Postby waltero on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:41 pm

I did a search. Found something along the line. was not the same and got off on different tangent.

Time would not be a factor? One turn to place (set up). Could happen simultaneous.
Cook waltero

Postby sirgermaine on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:41 pm

There would be several ways to do this, whether as an auction-based system or as a draft-style selection, or a ranking of all terits, etc. There are many ways that this could be very interesting, although they'd have upsides and downsides based on the variability of maps here.
Major sirgermaine

Postby MoB Deadly on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal MoB Deadly

Postby agentcom on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:59 pm

elonpuckhog wrote:I was thinking, and I think the OP suggested this, that we set up a "fantasy type" draft for this option. So, when you join a game with this option, all the territories would be ranked in alphabetical order, and you could change the rank. So if you really wanted Los Angeles (on the classic map), you would rank that #1. If you're first to go, you would get Los Angeles. The next person would get either their #1 choice (unless it was LA) or their #2 choice. So, rankings are done in advance to cut down on the time thing.
I think it would be a great addition, but I'm sure its been suggested before. I went looking a couple of days ago and couldn't find anything specific.

The problem with this is that usually people don't want a certain territ, they want to set their territs based on where everyone else is claiming territs. So it they go first and snag one in Aus, but then the next 3 players grab an aus, they may want to try to do something different. So I do not think any type of fantasy draft/ranking would work.

I just thought of another problem: in fog games, you would see where everyone is deploying. The best way around that I can think of is to have all territs except yours appear as "?"s. Then you get an error message if you pick a territ that has already been chosen. The downside to this solution is that toward the end of the territ selection you would either have to flip this so that it shows available territs (but then possibly giving away some info) or continue with the above (and have players potentially selecting 100 territs on a map like World 2.1 before finding an available one).

Thus, I think we've found another restriction on this: it couldn't be used for fog.

So, you'd only be able to do sunny premium/speed games.
Colonel agentcom

Postby waltero on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Not sure Fog is the best route to go.
My Idea had fog in mind.
one turn.
Simultaneous.
Speed or 24 hour.
Cook waltero

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions